Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Takeaway tax

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Also reason kids are getting bigger alot to do with sitting on phones and gaming devices and not getting exercise

Parents need hit hard to take responsibility on that front. Not some token gesture cash grab. People want everyone else to do too much of the rearing of their kids now.

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Where did I mention the cost of production falling?

I only mentioned the tax imposed on it.

That’s a bull**** excuse anyway. 2L of water is €1.40 or so cheaper than 2L of Coca Cola.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

So people who eat properly should be punished if they want to eat something not great for you one in a while.

In your made up world? Apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Taxing takeaways or meat is ridiculous. To make a real and substantial impact on public health, any and all processed food products containing excessive sugar and/or salt should be taxed out of existence, however and wherever they're sold.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Taxing takeaways or meat is ridiculous. To make a real and substantial impact on public health, any and all processed food products containing excessive sugar and/or salt should be taxed out of existence, however and wherever they're sold.

No, statements like that just because you've your own preference is what's ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    No, statements like that just because you've your own preference is what's ridiculous.

I find that pronouncement a little bizarre to put it mildly. Processed food manufacturers put dangerous levels of salt and sugar into products, particularly those marketed as "low fat".

I find that pronouncement a little bizarre to put it mildly. Processed food manufacturers put dangerous levels of salt and sugar into products, particularly those marketed as "low fat".

My apologies, I read your first sentence as "Eating" instead of "Taxing" and I was referring to that. I agree with the rest, well I agree with it all now that I've grasped basic reading. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Human lungs need to be taxed heavily as they emit carbon dioxide which in turn kills polar bears.

Patww79 wrote: »
    My apologies, I read your first sentence as "Eating" instead of "Taxing" and I was referring to that. I agree with the rest, well I agree with it all now that I've grasped basic reading. Sorry.

Right you be Chief, I did wonder, mind! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eastie17

topper75 wrote: »
    What about fat gain tax instead?
    You get weighed at existing NCT centers twice a year and pay a % tax on any Kg differential. All foodstuffs left alone for your own free choice.
    All tax raised can be ringfenced for diabetes and obesity driven HSE costs.

It would need to test body fat percentage to be fair. Could be adding lots of beefy muscle as the increase in kg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Soon there will be a tax tax, then what do we do?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Pyr0 wrote: »

Your wages get taxed before you get them then you get taxed again on everything you spend your wages on. So yes there is tax tax.

Then if you buy a car you are taxed on the car price plus yearly motor tax. That's tax tax tax. Great fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Cleopatra_

I can see where this thread is heading and it involves fatty bashing. Yawn. I'll go and find some maltesers to increase my chances of diabetes.

Cleopatra_ wrote: »
    I can see where this thread is heading and it involves fatty bashing. Yawn. I'll go and find some maltesers to increase my chances of diabetes.

For me, it shall be two pints of beer followed by a rare sirloin steak with coleslaw and boiled potatoes. With lashings of real butter. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Humphrey BoaGart

Pyr0 wrote: »

Pay it and shaddup.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Also reason kids are getting bigger alot to do with sitting on phones and gaming devices and not getting exercise

Nope.

Diet is the primary determinant of weight. Exercise makes you healthy, food controls your weight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

No exercise helps you keep weight off or I must be living in a different universe. Sitting down all the time is not good for you and will contribute to weight gain.

Excercise burns calories or again I'm living on a different planet.

And anyone saying kids constantly on phones and gaming machines rather than out playing is not effecting obseity is denial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

No exercise helps you keep weight off or I must be living in a different universe. Sitting down all the time is not good for you and will contribute to weight gain.

It will contribute to it, but the majority is down to diet. It is widely accepted that weight gain/loss is 75% diet, 25% exercise

• Advertisement

You could eat 5000 calories a day and burn it off and not gain weight. Excercise is totally linked to weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

There's always been fat shaming and there's always been consequences, these days are no different.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/schoolgirl10-attempted-commit-suicide-after-13587572

Maybe people should leave the worrying about other people's weight up to doctors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

You could eat 5000 calories a day and burn it off and not gain weight. Excercise is totally linked to weight.

You could sit on your ass all day and eat below your average daily calories and lose weight.

Your comment doesn’t changed what I said in my previous post that the majority defining reason for weight loss/gain is diet

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

If they tax farts, I'll be broke in no time. Farts are worse after a take away too. Bit like getting 2 shots with the one gun. Screwed I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

For me, it shall be two pints of beer followed by a rare sirloin steak with coleslaw and boiled potatoes. With lashings of real butter. :D

The bird made me a gorgeous birthday dinner last night, steak medium well, mushrooms and onions spuds and pepper sauce and some garlic cheese potatoes thrown in for good measure :D:p Delicious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Only an athlete would do enough exercise to burn those kind of calories.

For mere mortals, eating healthily in sensible portion sizes does most of the work in keeping weight down. Exercise does create a calorie deficit but many people over-estimate the deficit created. Exercise is mostly to tone a person up rather than contribute much to weight loss or weight maintenance if one is already a healthy weight.

I lost a pile of weight a few years back and it was 100% down to diet. I did no exercise. I wasn’t fit and I was skinny fat. THAT is what exercise does. Tones you up, makes you look good naked, increases your fitness.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

How would you go about burning 5000 a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Only an athlete would do enough exercise to burn those kind of calories.

For mere mortals, eating healthily in sensible portion sizes does most of the work in keeping weight down. Exercise does create a calorie deficit but many people over-estimate the deficit created. Exercise is mostly to tone a person up rather than contribute much to weight loss or weight maintenance if one is already a healthy weight.

I lost a pile of weight a few years back and it was 100% down to diet. I did no exercise. I wasn’t fit and I was skinny fat. THAT is what exercise does. Tones you up, makes you look good naked, increases your fitness.

Dieting is fine and it's important to try to eat well but exercise is also important, crucial really, for one's overall general well being.

We are human beings descended from hunter gatherers. As such, our bodies are designed to move and be active for at least some of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Well lifes a bitch and then you die and pay taxes for that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Agricola wrote: »
    McDonald's milkshakes are too big and too calorific. Handing one to a small kid who'll invariably scoff the lot is just excessive. They should be smaller.

Don't give it to the child. Or take it off them!! Who's the paren't? Ronald Mc****inDonald *????

Advertisement