Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Takeaway tax

Options
  • 14-11-2018 3:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Convinced this is the next tax coming in. There's talk in UK of red meat tax. Just like to know where did self responsibility go. Can people not be trusted to choose what they eat. They want to limit milkshakes to 300 Cal's. Again why. Most people surely treat these as a treat and want to have one should be allowed. Sick of this nanny state nonsense.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Sorry before the spelling police check this I'm on phone and theres a few mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Most people surely treat these as a treat ..........

Nope.

Look around you - it's like visiting Whale World

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I'd say it's unlikely there could be any blanket "takeaway" tax. Does this include collections? There are also many healthy takeaway options - salad spots and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Convinced this is the next tax coming in. There's talk in UK of red meat tax. Just like to know where did self responsibility go. Can people not be trusted to choose what they eat. They want to limit milkshakes to 300 Cal's. Again why. Most people surely treat these as a treat and want to have one should be allowed. Sick of this nanny state nonsense.

They already tax cigarettes to high heaven "because they're bad for you", so why wouldn't they tax other things that are bad for you the same way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

Sorry before the spelling police check this I'm on phone and theres a few mistakes.

No problem. You owe government duty of €4.30 per spelling mistake. The higher band of €5.50 for grammar mess ups.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

gctest50 wrote: »
    Nope.

Yup, considering we now have US style weight management clinics, completely with reinforced beds etc. I think it's safe to say (some) people can't be trusted to decide what they eat.

Having said that I don't think a takeaway tax is the answer either, but I'd have no problem with some (sensibly) targeted measures to try to change the tide on this obesity epidemic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Thoie wrote: »
    They already tax cigarettes to high heaven "because they're bad for you", so why wouldn't they tax other things that are bad for you the same way?

Yeah just give us all a nutrient injection every morning and suck all the joy out of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

McDonald's milkshakes are too big and too calorific. Handing one to a small kid who'll invariably scoff the lot is just excessive. They should be smaller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Most people surely treat these as a treat and want to have one should be allowed.

Take a trip past your nearest McDs and local takeaway this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

What about fat gain tax instead?
    You get weighed at existing NCT centers twice a year and pay a % tax on any Kg differential. All foodstuffs left alone for your own free choice.
    All tax raised can be ringfenced for diabetes and obesity driven HSE costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

If they want to tax more on the unhealthy stuff then they should remove/lower tax from the healthy stuff, otherwise its just another cash grab.

When cans of coke went up, did bottled water come down...... Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Thoie wrote: »

Why is that in quotes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Don't see the problem with this. The amount of times recently I've seen somebody massive walking out of SPAR clutching a bottle of lucozade or similar tells me people don't have impulse control. Anything that helps society get to grips with the epidemic of obesity should be welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    If they want to tax more on the unhealthy stuff then they should remove/lower tax from the healthy stuff, otherwise its just another cash grab.

It's always a cash grab. Do you honestly think the people doing this actually give a **** about anything other than cash?

I remember reading about cities where they have filtered water available for free so you can refill reusable water bottles. That's be handy. Cut down on waste too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

topper75 wrote: »
    What about fat gain tax instead?
    You get weighed at existing NCT centers twice a year and pay a % tax on any Kg differential. All foodstuffs left alone for your own free choice.
    All tax raised can be ringfenced for diabetes and obesity driven HSE costs.

Make more use of the rolling roads and check exhaust fumes simultaneously.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

gctest50 wrote: »
    Nope.

I eat lots of take away's and junk food, i'd eat more than the average i'd say. I feel fit and i'm slim and i hardly have a belly and i'm 48 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Grayson wrote: »
    I remember reading about cities where they have filtered water available for free so you can refill reusable water bottles. That's be handy. Cut down on waste too.
    I have a tap in my kitchen that dispenses water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Did the cost of producing a bottle of water come down? Why would the price of water come down just because coke went up.

I have a tap in my kitchen that dispenses water.

Can you carry the tap around town with you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Why is that in quotes?

Cigarettes are bad for you, but I suspect that the government don't particularly care about that, and just love the easy income from an item that few, if any, would defend against another tax hike. The quotes were indicative of my doubt about the reasons. I was not trying to claim that cigarettes/tobacco are beneficial, or even neutral.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Oh look, another allowed "fat slagging off" thread. Must be Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Berserker wrote: »
    Did the cost of producing a bottle of water come down? Why would the price of water come down just because coke went up.

Maybe decrease the tax on the water that was added to the coke to maybe encourage people to buy the healthy water instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Berserker wrote: »

Where did I mention the cost of production falling?

I only mentioned the tax imposed on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Can you carry the tap around town with you?
    No but you can put some of the water into a transportable vessel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

This is what we're reduced to? Outrage at what the government might do?

This reminds me of the time I discovered my girlfriend was mad at me for something I did in a dream of hers.

So people who eat properly should be punished if they want to eat something not great for you one in a while.

This reminds me of the time I discovered my girlfriend was mad at me for something I did in a dream of hers.[/quote]
    No need to be so smart. Last time I checked you where allowed to start threads on here.

Also reason kids are getting bigger alot to do with sitting on phones and gaming devices and not getting exercise

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Humphrey BoaGart

Takeaways are already taxed at 9%. Which will increase in the new year.

Minerals are taxed at 23%.

Advertisement