Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Christmas FM thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The TV channels are really poor lately. It’s mostly a Z list celeb counting down their top 40 top Christmas songs. Too much faffing around with the celeb.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,152 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Even at that, since Brexit those of us on SKY have had the amount of music channels reduced considerably. Think we just have the 4 MTV ones nowadays.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Absolutely. Christmas FM is head and shoulder above everything else, with all other options a distant second.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm getting excited for Christmas FM now, with all this talk! 🤩

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

That’s true about not needing a fancy space but they’ll still need some sort for holding the training courses, storing the work from home kits, etc.

And I do think they preferred having people in studio too as there were some tech issues last year like links having some sort of weird glitching sound, but that wouldn’t happen in a live studio. Who knows though! Maybe financially it’s easier for them to have no physical base at the moment,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,317 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Agree.

often some minor member of a girl or boy band that has been long forgotten or... Noddy feckin holder reading from an auto cue

if you have a tablet or connection to tv you can play a playlist of Christmas songs off YouTube. There are some good playlists out there of the real classics

I see theres a few small changes to the Christmas FM website. The home page has changed a little and there's a countdown clock added. Theres also the email subscription back available at the bottom for their newsletter so I suspect they're getting prepared already.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Cheers, have subscribed again just in case didn't work last time.

Heading to sligo in a few minutes for a site walkdown and survey, could have done with bit of Christmas FM classical for the drive back, I always find it a relaxing listen especially after a long day on site and a 2.5 hours drive home.

Still, not long until the real deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

I am going to attempt to hold out to listening to Christmas music until it is officially launched.

• Advertisement

I try to as well and usually have a few moment of weakness and listen to a few songs. Especially if I need a little pick me up.

I'm the same, I do my best, but there might be an occasional slip up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

No way could I listen to Christmas music before my tree goes up last weekend in November. I would feel like it would ruin it for me because by the day then I would risk being tired of hearing the songs. But each to their own!

Definitely for the normal Christmas tunes (waiting for cfm launch day) but classical I can listen in to at different stages throughout the year.

Hope like last year the presenters start early online this year now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I came on to post the same. You are on the ball.

i don’t envy ChristmasFM selection process they have too many options these days.

Agree, must be so difficult in choosing who to partner up with. Barnardos is a great choice though.

(Still hope some day its an animal charity, though suspect that will be way down the list)

Feels like another milestone has been reached now with the charity partner announcement... 😍

I wonder do charities approach them or what criteria they use to make their selection?

Yeah, I'd love if they pick an animal charity too some day.

I sure hope they do, so many can be self serving with their levels of staff remuneration sucking up much of what is raised.

• Advertisement

So true Jude. Some the charity scandals have been the hardest to read as people give their hard earned money in good faith and trust and then it just gets abused 😡

Have been dipping my toe back in to Christmas FM classical a little and it appears they've changed the playlist, its actually nowhere near as good as it was earlier in the year, with it almost operatic at times rather than classical... hope they mix it up again soon as the new additions are a tad repetitive and the dozen or so tracks I really enjoyed on it previously are noticeably absent now (with the exception of Troika by Prokofiev which I've heard the once)

I'm as big a christmas loon as the next elf but if I started listening to anything now it would just water down the effect closer to Christmas. Saying that, each year I swear I will wait to 01 December before I whack on the tunes but it ends up being around 01 November.

I'm like that too with the normal Christmas tunes. Can't go near them until Christmas fm goes live generally. The classical channel is more like lyric fm though so the odd listen for me doesn't really affect me.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Xmas FM 2021 (much earlier than usual this year).

Dublin City and County - 105.2

Cork City and surrounds - 106.7

Limerick city and county - 105.5

Waterford City - 105.9

Galway City - 87.9

Kilkenny - 104.3

Wicklow Town - 106.6

South East - 103.8

Kildare - 88.1

Bray/North Wicklow - 99.5

Longford and surrounds - 101.6

Cavan - 99.4

Mid Kerry (Tralee/Killarney) - 105.0

Clare/Co. Limerick - 105.2

NE Donegal/Letterkenny - 105.7

Sligo - 95.0

North Cork/SE Limerick - 87.7

Louth - 105.2

Plus new ones for this year

Port Laoise - 105.0

North Tipp - 105.2 (not sure here as this is the same frequency used in Clare).

These confirmed??

I got the ChristmasFM newsletter email tonight and this beauty was on it.

Back online from the start of November.

Came on to post the same thing... great thats its back from the start of November online, loved that last year, delighted they've kept it going again this year.

BTW, for anyone interested, classical has been down the last few days on the website, hoping they get it back up & running soon. I've messaged them to let them know anyway as it happens every few months now.

Was my first email from there. Very exciting to wake up to it this morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I'm going to wait until then before listening to any Christmas tunes so. I was adding Trace Christmas to my list of favourites on the TV yesterday and heard a snippet of Driving Home For Christmas. Nope... too early, didn't get the 'feels', so I turned it off. I don't want to dilute the feeling of hearing Christmas music for the first time!

Advertisement