Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail jobs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Justaburner

Final interview invitations are coming out. Good luck to those waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭oleard1987

I got an email this morning to say i had passed the application part .I have now completed Drive Situational judgement test in time but only got to question 35 in RAAT .Does this mean i am going to fail or will the take in to account my answers for the previous 34

I still have the MiniSCAAT to complete

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SeanD123

How long is the training period and is there any scope for annual leave during it or?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

I haven't logged in to do the tests yet, do they need to be done on a pc or will a tablet be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I wouldn't chance it on a tablet myself.

• Advertisement

Do it on pc if possible. My best advice to take your time and be accurate instead of trying to rush it. You don't have to complete it all to pass it just be accurate . Safety first in situation judgement test and if you have strong memory you will be good at in the other test. I passed all the online and test centre tests last year but fell at the interview stage so don't ask me how to talk to people one on one 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭PadraigCoghlan

What was the interview like. What do they expect off you.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 superfly75

Not 100% sure but I think its 5 months in a classroom followed by 250 hours of mentored driving. No annual leave allowed during training, but I could be wrong.

I'd definitely reckon there wouldn't be any leave for the classroom training certainly. That's normally the way.

I think it's unlikely (or legal) that you can't take any leave for 12/15 months though.

@SeanD123 Do the tests on a PC, you'll regret it if you don't.

@PadraigCoghlan, I really wouldn't worry about that yet. Take it one step at a time and you won't drive yourself crazy. For me, there was literally months between each step.

• Advertisement

Interview is grand padraig I think I just over thought it at the time. As justaburner says I wouldn't think that far ahead yet just keep the head down for the online tests and take it from there. It's a slow annoying process but alot of people have got through it which is great to see. I'm going to give it a second go and hope for the best 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭TheShepard

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Is it taboo to ask what the starting wages are? Including allowances, etc.

If one of the folks working there would prefer to use PM, fire away.

Post edited by Soarer on

• Registered Users Posts: 32 intercity124

I think it was mentioned previously as 45.5k classroom, 46.5k mentored driving, once you pass out you go onto the scale yr1.

Thanks for that. Didn't fancy going back though 109 pages!

Is that basic, or is it all-in? No shift allowance or whatever?

And scale yr1? yr2? etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 MrBumBum

SeanD123

Registered Users

How long is the training period and is there any scope for annual leave during it or?

About 13 weeks classroom plus another week for exams if memory serves me right.

If you get the job don't have any holidays planned, you're expected to not take any leave during the class.

No problem getting leave during your hours as a trainee having time off won't affect the rostered jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

3 tests done, about 1.5hours, had to re-read some of the raat & ld/sjd but nothing too taxing. Waiting game now!

Same. You'd be guzz-eyed from looking at them.

"big B, small v"

That's why I'd like to know the story with the wages. As much as I'd like the job, like everyone else I've bills to pay so can't really be taking a paycut.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Rootsblower

Rate of pay after completion of salary scale(10 years) is €59865. Hopefully a new pay deal in place during this summer.

That’s a composite rate which includes Sunday/Bank holiday working and shift allowance.

Theres also a defined benefit pension at the end which are as rare as hens teeth now.

GP scheme also available at approximately €4 per week for unlimited visits.

Very good disability insurance scheme too in case you can’t drive for medical reasons.

Theres a few other bits and bobs too but would take me ages to explain.

Is there really STILL a defined benefit pension? Really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Rootsblower

Yes it’s a DB pension. New entrants need 30 years(I’m fairly sure) and work till state retirement age(66) to get maximum benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 SnowFlakes2019

Has anyone applied for the current recruitment for locomotive drivers?

I completed the questionnaire this morning and received an email that I'm through to next stage and have to complete 3 online tests?

Any advice on how to perform well?

Thanks chaps

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

I applied on Tuesday. Got the same email, done those 3 tests today. They are ok, not too bad. Just remove any distractions and use the practice material they gave ya.

ps. This is my second time applying, made it to stage 3 in 2020. Hoping to go the distance now

My advice? Make a pot of tea and read this thread from the start. Nearly every question you have or will have has been answered and posters here have posted their progress from beginning to end and others right through to hiring.

It was a huge benefit to me. I'd advise you to do the same.

If you've any questions left, there's always someone to help. Good luck with the process. Patience is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Is there an upper age limit? I realise that they may not state it for obvious reasons but I presume also that it may not be feasible for them to train someone who may only be available for 10 years or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭veronymus

They are not an ageist organisation, I assure you. Was early forties when I was recruited and was not the oldest in my class by perhaps a decade.

Post edited by veronymus on

Same.

This is my second time applying too. Applied a few years back, and got invited to Inchicore. Happened to get a promotion where I currently am, so declined to opportunity.

But who doesn't want to be a train driver?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 superfly75

I know the classroom stage of training takes 5 months for new Diesel drivers, is it the same for new DART drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Yes. They are all good jobs .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 MrBumBum

Advertisement