Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail jobs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 intercity124

After the interviews, if successful, they request your references and send you for a medical. Providing those are both OK you are placed on a panel for 2 years and get called when needed. They don't tell you directly you are on a panel, they just leave you hanging. 8 weeks after my medical I still had no communication, I emailed to enquire what was happening, it was then I was informed of being placed on a panel. Not sure what happens if the 2 years expire before a position becomes available. Dublin applicants seem to get processed a lot quicker than those from national depots. I have no idea how many classes they plan on running this year, I know there is one Diesel class currently running (since January) but other than that its all very vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Justaburner

Remote interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dee66

Applications are opening again on April 19th. Any advice for someone applying? Any and all advice gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Where'd you hear that? Don't see anything on their website yet. I know it sometimes gets mentioned other places first alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dee66

It won't allow me to post the link as apparently I'm not here long enough 😆 but it'll be on their website next Tuesday 19th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 intercity124

Over 25,000 people have applied since 2019, around 100 have been hired so far, wonder how many more they are looking for? They were looking for 100 drivers over 4 years (2019-2023) originally.

My advice would be to do as much research about the role and the company as you can, take each step individually and don't get to far ahead of yourself, they are looking for a specific skillset and personality. Don't expect anything to happen quickly, if you do apply and are successful it could be a year or two before you are anywhere near starting the job. Scroll back through this thread, there is lots of information and guidance you can take with you into the process, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Justaburner

Make a pot of tea, sit down and read through this thread. It's been a HUGE benefit to me as I've progressed through the stages.

Best advice is to do each step and if you survive, forget about it until they contact you for the next stage. Expecting any sort of timeline will drive you nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BarrowBoard

It strikes me as odd that they're starting another campaign before completing the current one. Out of curiosity, are those who were unsuccessful, or still waiting to find out where they stand, in the current campaign eligible to reapply? I seem to recall a form that said you could only sit the VSE test once every 6 months & if you failed it twice, you were permanently excluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's time to play the music

It's time to light the lights...

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Rootsblower

I can’t answer about how many times you can sit the assessments but I do know there has been a lot of driver attrition over the last year or so. This ranges from newly hired drivers leaving very shortly after qualifying all the way up to serious illness. The way things are going at the moment with the attrition rate it’s like the previous recruitment campaign didn’t happen.

The shortages are mostly in the Dublin depots, some are very short on bodies. To those on here looking at positions outside Dublin be prepared for a bit of a wait as it seems to me some of the driver’s recruited over the last 3-5 years or so started in Dublin to get the foot in the door in the hopes of getting a transfer as they are entitled to. That’s not to say there isn’t positions outside of Dublin.

• Advertisement

How come some are leaving shortly after qualifying? Not what they were expecting, or unsocial hours?

How come they aren't taking on people who are apparently on a panel, after having successfully completed tests and interview?

I know 3 newly qualified drivers who left within 9 months of qualifying. It just wasn’t for them and they had alternative employment available.I’ve said this a few times before here, driving trains is not for everyone, it’s a very unique job in a very unique environment. I say fair play to the people who recognised that fact and moved on. Takes a lot of guts to make that choice.

I don’t know why panels were not exhausted. As I said they need a good number of drivers even after the recent campaign so perhaps the panels will be exhausted and they are just getting a new batch of recruits ready for panelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭TheShepard

Ya noticed that myself, rosters are getting smaller and smaller. I passed out as a driver nearly 2 years ago and since then a driver in my class left the job. As far as I am aware it didn't suit family life and he was a little nervous driving. I don't want to scare people but don't be naive about driving, as Rootsblower said it isn't for everyone.

What kind of stuff was he nervous about? Did it not come up earlier in the process, or maybe it just started to get to him after a while.

Learning to drive trains with a mentor is grand but when u get out on your own on a foggy day and with slippy rail at 100mph and your wondering where’s my braking point then stuff gets real very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SeanD123

Hi just wondering where you heard about the driver roles being advertised? Thanks.

What way do the rosters work? Are they done on a month by month basis?

Thanks. I suppose not knowing your work schedule too far in advance could be off-putting for some people.

• Advertisement

When I say it depends on the depot I mean some depots will have a 10 week roster for 10 drivers and others could have a 50 week roster for 50 drivers.

Thanks. I think it's time for me to stop asking silly questions & see how the whole process peters out.

No such thing as a silly question. Better to know before you go

How many depots are there in Dublin in total? It's just two for the Dart, right?

Are driver numbers low for other trains in Dublin as well?

2 diesel depots in Dublin(Heuston and Connolly)

Heuston and Connolly are both short drivers.

Yes, 2 DART depots(Fairview and Bray) don’t know if they are short

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭TheShepard

Ya exactly, driving in fog is like driving blind at times, especially in the dark. 😅

But he had a close call nearly hit per way I think and it shook him, I'm not entirely sure what happened. Close calls and fatalities do happen. I don't want to put anyone off but it's something worth noting and not to be naive about as well.

I'd still recommend the job so don't let that put you off!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Keep an eye out on the website, they will be recruiting in the next few weeks. Drivers, customer service, station ops, apprentices . Be prepared to work unsociable hours and dont focus too much on the driver role. Get yourself in the door first and then suss the driver role out as you go on. If you do get the driver role and you find that it's not for you then dont quit, stick it out for a bit and then transfer to a different position whilst holding onto your basic pay.

The only way out of the driving grade if you get into it it is to

1 Fvck up so they remove you from it but not really bad so they won’t sack you.

2 Quit the job altogether

3 Earn promotion but that usually takes at least 7-10 years (unless your earmarked from the start)

4 Die.

There is no transferring to another job if you don’t like driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

You tell them that driving isn't for you anymore and they will have you working at a station somewhere. They cant have you driving if your mind isn't on it. Or just be a bold boy and see where they put you.

• Advertisement

Just not too bold as the old ways of being looked after by management if you were a good employee that had a bit of misfortune are nearly gone. Remember external recruits are not appointed until they pass out as a driver. Telling your manager driving is not for you before your appointed probably means you’ll be shown the exit.

Advertisement