Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail jobs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 leftblackeyeboy

Hi all, I know it was in a question above, does anyone know if you don't finish the RAAT say get to part 30 are you out of running? Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Justaburner

Nobody here can answer that as we don't know the pass mark.

That said, accuracy here is more important so somebody who gets to part 30 with no errors will score higher than someone who gets to 40 and is riddled with mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 leftblackeyeboy

Okay thanks for that, just a good few finished it on here, that makes sense what your saying

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cliveyboi

Afternoon everyone, just after some SCAAT advice please. We've been given 3 forms of SCAAT practice. The letters, punctuation symbols and numbers. Are all these included in the actual assessment or is it just one? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Just letters for my one - first one was finding an upper case letter, then an upper case and lower case letter and then an upper case letter with the starting letter in each row. Didn't get anywhere near the end before time ran out on each section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Just1more

My scaat was just letters. The letters are probably randomised for each person but I don't know for sure.

Did mine over the weekend, fairly happy with it and I actually enjoyed it. Finished all questions on both multiple choice tests and got about 70-80% of the way through each page of the scaat. Pretty confident I was very accurate - have to wait and find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cliveyboi

Nice on, cheers for that. These test can be pretty nerve wracking hey. Sounds like ye did well! The best of luck to ye both!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭PadraigCoghlan

Wonder when they will get back to us on how we done.

Could be 2 weeks or 2 months.

Just looked there and it was a month for me.

Best advice now is to try and forget about it until you hear from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

https://www.irishrail.ie/en-ie/about-us/company-information/career-opportunities-at-iarnrod-eireann/Station-Operatives

Station operatives jobs went live this morning.

New CSO jobs should be live on wednesday.

• Advertisement

I'm a bit surprised to see the application form for drivers is still open, didn't they close it after 2 or 3 days last time? I didn't get to apply in time the last time around.

Possibly less demand this time?? Hard to know really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Brilliant to see Irish Rail hiring people whose duties will include enforcement of seat bookings the amount of selfish people who think they can just sit in another persons booked seat is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 freckle88

Hey everyone,

I am applying for the train driver role. I live in Galway so will obviously be selecting Galway depot as my first choice. Do I have to select a second depot option even if I couldn't do any of the other depots? or can I select Galway for both options? any help would be appreciated. Many thanks.

No point selecting Galway twice.

If you select Dublin you have a greater chance as more rolls there but you'd have to be prepared to move. If you got a Dublin job you're stuck there for at least 2/3 years before you can request a move and then you're relying on there being an opening.

Is Athlone an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 superfly75

Athlone didnt appear on the list this time. Not alot of options for those west of the shannon. I assume places like Athlone, Westport, Ballina and Tralee are all full from previous campaigns. This campaign looks to be focusing on Dublin and the commuter belt depots.

Yeah athlone I think is taken. I originally went for the last year but failed at the final hurdles. Gone for Galway and Dublin this time hopefully would be happy to get either if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 9 freckle88

Thank you. Athlone is not an option. I'm thinking way ahead and I know I may not get this far but If I selected both Galway and Dublin and got offered Dublin, could I refuse and hold out for the possibility of getting offered Galway? Or if I refuse the first offer, is that it? Does anyone know how it works?

I read back somewhere between pages 60 and 80 that a fella who wanted Cork was offered Dublin but turned it down, he was put on a panel, heard nothing for about a year, started worrying he would get nothing and then eventually got offered a start in Cork.

I put down Cork and Limerick myself but am regretting it now, should have put Dublin as the 2nd choice as location doesn't really bother me and apparently going for Dublin can help your chances of getting the job, all other things being equal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 albame

Best of luck

Post edited by albame on

• Registered Users Posts: 7 brown_bear_grrr

I applied for the driver roles and selected Dublin as my preferred location in the very first part of the selection that the website sends you to.

Got an email to say thank you for applying via OPC and have heard nothing since. That was just over a week ago on the 20th. Checked my spam and junk folder but definitely have heard nothing. I think I would have got the invite to do the 3 on-line tests at this stage.

Am I out? Anyone else complete the on-line questionnaire and hear nothing?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

I applied last week too, within 24hrs I had an email to say I met the standard on the application test and got a link and deadline to complete those 3 online tests by. How did you get on with the initial test when applying? If you feel you done well, maybe Apply again, its still open.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 brown_bear_grrr

@Willie Stroker 1976 To be honest I think I did well - I read all the comments on the forum here about safety first and think I did well in the exam.

As you know some were tricky questions like the least important priorities of the train driver, what did you put down for that?

Congrats by the way! Thinking of applying again although it does say it will disqualify you if you apply numerous times.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,671 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I think you are out. The next set of test follows as little 5-6 hours after you apply but shouldn’t take longer than 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Fiske

I'm looking to get accepted as a Driver. Passed the first test and just completed the three assessments on the OPC site. I applied for Dublin and the DART -- does anyone know when I might hear back as to whether I passed the OPC portion?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 SJ621

You’re probably looking at about a month

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Apply for the other roles and then try for the driver job in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

I've applied for the driver role & done the secondary online tests obviously waiting for an outcome.

I'd also like to apply for station operations position, would this be regarded as multiple applications through the OPC portal as the ts&cs say multiple applications aren't permissable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Quadrivium

Are there any promotion opportunities for drivers?

If so what would they be, driver supervisor? Station manager? Would there be a salary increase?

Advertisement