Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Daily pv production

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Feck sake, there's a SEAI wife grant? I take it you can't claim retrospectively, mine has cost me a fortune already...

And yes my battery is 4.8kWh. So far I'm still at the stage where it will cover me til midnight but of course as sunset comes earlier that will stop even on a good day.

And today will be a good one I suspect. Nice clear day when I left home. Dishwasher, washing machine and dryer are locked and loaded.

Generation passed 1kw already, at 9:41am.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,397 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Feck sake, there's a SEAI wife grant? I take it you can't claim retrospectively, mine has cost me a fortune already...

And yes my battery is 4.8kWh. So far I'm still at the stage where it will cover me til midnight but of course as sunset comes earlier that will stop even on a good day.

And today will be a good one I suspect. Nice clear day when I left home. Dishwasher, washing machine and dryer are locked and loaded.

Only 210w here at the mo :-/

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Only 210w here at the mo :-/

Don't look now in that case...
    526270.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭DeclanD54

E30M3 wrote: »
    Battery or Wife Declan?

I think the one is enough for me.. Wife obviously!!
    More batteries please.

9kWh already today. Battery full and immersion on. Washer and dryer done, dishwasher not far behind.

I'm working from home tomorrow so fully expecting a hurricane.

Yesterday was abysmal, lol. Barely broke 6kWh on a horrible day and never went above 2kw. So first half of the month gone and I only generated 43% of my predicted monthly total. On the plus side I've used about 92% of what I generated.

Today, tomorrow and Saturday are predicted to be scorchers though so I'll hopefully bring the average back up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Winterman1234

Yesterday was abysmal, lol. Barely broke 6kWh on a horrible day and never went above 2kw. So first half of the month gone and I only generated 43% of my predicted monthly total. On the plus side I've used about 92% of what I generated.

Today, tomorrow and Saturday are predicted to be scorchers though so I'll hopefully bring the average back up a bit.

Slighting worse in south donegal then, only 37% of my predicted monthly total so far. Managed 4.2kWh yesterday out of our 2.4kW array!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Just got a 5.6kwp array installed on a shed connected to my parents house, (Donegal)

Was a very warm and humid day putting the panels on yesterday.

Generated 11kwh today already and the hot water tank is at its limit already. Time to get some more automation and maybe a dual fuel towel rack fitted.

Time to try and break the fire in the morning habits, well in the summer anyway.

My house is in next yrs budget.

Yup not sure about the rest of the country, but Donegal is having a fine time today.

I'm at 15.8kWh so far. Had a tiler calling today so working from home this afternoon, so the car has guzzled 4.5kWh since I got home at 2pm.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,397 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yup not sure about the rest of the country, but Donegal is having a fine time today.

I'm at 15.8kWh so far. Had a tiler calling today so working from home this afternoon, so the car has guzzled 4.5kWh since I got home at 2pm.

Peak production of 670w here, only on 2.1kwh for the day.

Sun is not directly overhead these days, more over to the side. So the house array, despite being bigger, hasn't surpassed the generation of the garage.

526610.jpg

526609.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

It will get worse for your house array and we roll into autumn and winter.

So are your house panels facing in a north/north west and garage more westerly. Sun shining here at the minute @17:00 but as panels facing south east only making 400watts (out of 2.4KW). Output really falls fast now after 2.00PM

So are your house panels facing in a north/north west and garage more westerly. Sun shining here at the minute @17:00 but as panels facing south east only making 400watts (out of 2.4KW). Output really falls fast now after 2.00PM

Garage faces south, house west.

Still generating 2.3kw at the minute, but never topped 4 all day. On a similar day (sunshine wise) in early August we generated over 35kWh. Today its 23kWh so far.

Garage faces south, house west.

Still generating 2.3kw at the minute, but never topped 4 all day. On a similar day (sunshine wise) in early August we generated over 35kWh. Today its 23kWh so far.

Only making 150 Watts (2.4kw array)now(6.00pm), while northwest side of the house gets the sun.

• Advertisement

I'm still getting 1kw at the minute, 750w of it on the west facing panels. Almost 25kWh for the day.

526633.jpg

Ended today with 23kwh, Phil you can really eek out the last of the light on yours.

graememk wrote: »
    Ended today with 23kwh, Phil you can really eek out the last of the light on yours.

Ended up with 6.2kWh(2.4kw) here, dull enough morning. Phils setup ready highlights the advantage of split directions. As I said I was only producing 150 Watts at 6, while the front of house facing north west was basking in sun. Panels on northwest facing roof probably not worth it really only going to be an advantage in evenings during summer. But if I add any more in future definitely don't want them facing same direction as current.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭phester28

Only got 2.8Kwh yesterday the 17th of Sept.

Can I suggest a template to be included in every post to make it easier for people to relate / compare generation

KWh : x for date: y
    KWP: ta
    Split string: Y/N 2Kwp:1.5Kwp if Yes then a orientation if known

We would then be able to quickly check each others generation from around the country and compare like for like

Not a bad idea phester.

However did you just post a suggestion of a reporting template alongside your own figures which weren't in that template?

;)

Also:
    KWh: 24.8 for 17th September
    KWP: 6.2
    Split string: 2.8kWp(S):3.4kWp(N)

• Advertisement

kWh:6.2 for 17th September
    kWp:2.48
    (kWh per kw of Array): 2.5
    Single String: South East

And what above a kWh per KW of array, to compare performance. I had 6.2/2.48 = 2.5kWh for every kwp of array, while phil had 24.8/6.2 - 4kWh for every kWp of array. Phil system performed better yesterday, because he is able to grab the sun for a longer portion of the day with his split array. Maybe over complicating it, but love my numbers!.

KWh: 15.9 for 17th September
    KWP: 4.8
    Split string: 2.4/2.4 E/W

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭ec_pc

KWh: 15.2 for 17th September
    KWP: 4.8
    Single string : SSW

KWh: 24.2 for 18th September
    KWP: 5.6
    Dual string on same roof. (lower panels at risk of shadow in the winter) SE,

As perfect a day as you can get sunshine wise

Edit today is the 18th!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

KWh: 13.9 for 17th September
    KWP: 4.2
    Enphase,

KWh: 7.6Kwh 18th September 2020
    KWP: 2.4
    Split string: 1.5:0.9KWp E/W

DC2 is West DC1 is East. Volts are about 150 and 90 for each string

Best day this month so far and almost a perfect curve
    526753.PNG
    18th sept 2020.PNG

KWh: 23.4 for 18th September

Split string: 2.8kWp(S):3.4kWp(W)

KWh: 17.6 for 18th September

KWP: 3.7

SW facing

Nice curve today:

526760.JPG

KWh: 10.3 for 18th September

KWP: 2.48 (South East)

I know I'm unlikely to get much sympathy given the high numbers I've been posting lol

Is this level of reduction in generation normal? Only installed in late July so I don't have anything to compare to.

Compare a scorching day in early August to a scorching day in mid September.

August 8th - 35.8kWh - over 4kw for long spells, peaking at 5kw briefly.
    526837.jpg

September 18th - 23.4kWh - peaking at 3.6kw
    526838.jpg

Today - 17.6kWh so far
    526840.jpg

This is from 1pm today, sun directly overhead but the house array is only at 800w.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=526836&d=1600529136

And now (6:30pm)
    526839.jpg

In August the house panels would be hitting full capacity of 3.8kw at times but they haven't passed 2kw in the last few days which have been roasting hot with clear skies.

Juat wondering if something is wrong if that's just normal with the change in angles of the sun etc. Seems like quite a significant drop.

Anyone else got comparisons for what they were hitting at peak then and now?

• Advertisement

This is normal. And it is going to get worse. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Nov-Feb you probably won't be able to charge your car with solar at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭davpower

KWh : 24.3 for date: 19th Sept 20
    KWP: 5
    Single string: South

KWh: 6.6Kwh 19th September 2020
    KWp: 2.4

garo wrote: »
    This is normal. And it is going to get worse. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Nov-Feb you probably won't be able to charge your car with solar at all.

No problem, I'm actually just about on track for the predicted total for the month, just making sure that was a normal drop.

KWh: 25.7 for 19th September

That's over 70kWh in 3 days, not too shabby. Exported 6.5 today though, dammit. The missus decided she wanted to go for a drive before work so I was out from 1 til half 4. Peak times.

Still got 7kWh into the car when I got back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭idc

Split string: 2.8kWp(S):3.4kWp(N)

Should that N (north??) be east or west ?

11.2kWh for 19th September
    Kwp: 2.48kw South east

I know I'm unlikely to get much sympathy given the high numbers I've been posting lol

Is this level of reduction in generation normal? Only installed in late July so I don't have anything to compare to.

Compare a scorching day in early August to a scorching day in mid September.

August 8th - 35.8kWh - over 4kw for long spells, peaking at 5kw briefly.
    526837.jpg

September 18th - 23.4kWh - peaking at 3.6kw
    526838.jpg

Today - 17.6kWh so far
    526840.jpg

This is from 1pm today, sun directly overhead but the house array is only at 800w.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=526836&d=1600529136

And now (6:30pm)
    526839.jpg

In August the house panels would be hitting full capacity of 3.8kw at times but they haven't passed 2kw in the last few days which have been roasting hot with clear skies.

Juat wondering if something is wrong if that's just normal with the change in angles of the sun etc. Seems like quite a significant drop.

Anyone else got comparisons for what they were hitting at peak then and now?

On Friday the sun shine all day but my peak was 1.5kw(2.48kw system), yesterday was a duller morning and when the sun broke through I shoot up to over 2kw. With the sun shining on panels all day Friday, they were very hot to touch, i know panels are more efficiency at lower temps. I have noticed this a few times over the summer. The only times I have ever exceeded, my full instantaneous output has been on showery days, on long clear days peak always seems lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

18.6 kWh for 19th
    Sligo
    4.2 kw

• Advertisement

idc wrote: »
    Should that N (north??) be east or west ?

Indeed it should. Brain fart...

KWh: 23.3kWh for 20th September

4 days on the trot breaking 20kWh. The bad news, herself wanted to go for a spin up to Fanad Lighthouse to enjoy the cracking weather, so we exported 10.2kWh. Tears were shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

18.9 kWh for 20th
    Sligo
    4.2 kw
    South... ish

KWh: 6.8Kwh 20th September 2020

A perfect curve but its looking like in Sept I can only generate a KWp of 40% of my total. I would expect (have not readings yet) 70-80% in the peak of summer as its a E/W split.

Has anyone have a solis inverter in the attic. I want to find out if 41 deg is hitting the de-rating of the inverter. I have headspace as I've only 2.5Kwp for a 3.6Kwp dual sting inverter

526937.PNG
    526943.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭lightson

12.3kwh. 20th sept
    2.64kw Sw
    Sligo

phester28 wrote: »
    KWh: 6.8Kwh 20th September 2020

A perfect curve but its looking like in Sept I can only generate a KWp of 40% of my total. I would expect (have not readings yet) 70-80% in the peak of summer as its a E/W split.

Has anyone have a solis inverter in the attic. I want to find out if 41 deg is hitting the de-rating of the inverter. I have headspace as I've only 2.5Kwp for a 3.6Kwp dual sting inverter

526937.PNG
    526943.png

I have a solid inverter in attic on gable wall, insulation at ceiling. Was up during a good day in summer and it was unbearably hot, didn't measure temp. I have had that thought re inverter backing off as too hot. Can you get any temperature data from inverter.

• Advertisement

I have a solid inverter in attic on gable wall, insulation at ceiling. Was up during a good day in summer and it was unbearably hot, didn't measure temp. I have had that thought re inverter backing off as too hot. Can you get any temperature data from inverter.

Likewise, mine is wall mounted in the attic. 5kw hybrid inverter.

526956.jpg

KWh: 22.9 for 19th September
    KWh: 25.2 for 20th September
    KWP: 5.6
    Dual string on same roof. (lower panels at risk of shadow in the winter) SE,

Cloudy start on 19th, quickly peaking at 4kW when clouds cleared, (maybe because the panels were cool?)
    Immersion getting a good workout these days!

It's in the graph. All be it in Chinese. Its about 42Deg from the inverter. The solis starts to de-rate after 40 deg but I think I am ok because of my headroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭davpower

KWh: 27.8Kwh 20th September 2020
    KWP: 5
    Single String: South

• Advertisement
Advertisement