Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

2011abc wrote: »
    .I suspect the ‘mystery ‘ sample was mentioned earlier by Cazale .It’s def stronger than the 46% of the other three and deep red .

Actual tasting is Friday week I think . Oh man , the other half of those bottles look tempting

Drink them all now :D That mystery sample details are below. Put it in spoiler tags in case anyone is waiting for the tasting. I've yet to try it but I've some on the way. Sounds good!

A 2015 distilled Single Pot Still that spent 4.5 years in ex bourbon cask and 15 months in a Shiraz cask. Cask strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Smurts

2011abc wrote: »
    I was one of the lucky ones to get the FREE ‘official’ Dingle tasting set ( and free glass, hip flask in leather sleeve , metal ‘cooling stones’ and VERY nice slate coaster which my wife has commandeered .The main contents of this extremely courteous pack are four generous ( 50ml +? )samples ( 17.5ml of some tastings really is meagre pickings ) . I’m not sure if I’m ‘kissing and telling’ here .Moderator can delete if needs be .
    I had no whiskey in the house and an earlier trip to Lidl left me unenthused by their selection .
    It was always going to happen .I drank half of each bottle al fresco just now .
    There was a competition fromDingle to win a free bottle by posting on Facebook etc but all the platforms and pages I used were already covered . That leaves here . The samples are Bourbon Component , PX Component , Dingle Single Malt and ‘Dingle Mystery Dram ‘. They are all stunning ! I would say on balance the four set best the classic Potstill set .Although none reaches the heady heights of a Barry Crockett the other three (Greenspot ,Johns Lane and RB) would be well beaten by any of the four .I suspect the ‘mystery ‘ sample was mentioned earlier by Cazale .It’s def stronger than the 46% of the other three and deep red .I wasn’t expecting to like the Bourbon Component but loved it .The PX Component wasn’t a traditional Sherry bomb but was as smooth as silk and soft as cotton candy . Gorgeous . Anyway thanks to Dingle and hope Im not letting any cats out of bags prematurely .Actual tasting is Friday week I think . Oh man , the other half of those bottles look tempting

That tasting pack looked really well put together, the slate looks class, would love to get my hands on one, fair play to them

Lagavulin are releasing a Guinness cask finish. Take my money now!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Cazale wrote: »
    I'm amused by how little information they're providing on what "Guinness cask" means. I can almost feel how desperately hard they're hoping nobody thinks about it too much or asks questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

BeerNut wrote: »
    I'm amused by how little information they're providing on what "Guinness cask" means. I can almost feel how desperately hard they're hoping nobody thinks about it too much or asks questions.

Whaddya mean?

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote:

Its American Guinness too. From Baltimore. Stringer Bell style.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Whaddya mean?
    Whaddya think they mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Doesn't all Guinness still get delivered to pubs in barrels?
    And then then they pour most of the pint from an old barrel, but top it up with from a fresh one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Whaddya mean?

There is no existing tradition of Guinness in casks.
    It seems a bit shoehorned to capitalise on a popular trend in whiskey.

Diagio trying to catch up with Pernod Ricard.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Cazale wrote: »

I saw that this morning. The connection to Offerman is off putting. The connection to Guinness on the other hand...

• Advertisement

Wellity wellity wellity:
    Dear Birdhouse Member,

The wait is finally over and we are thrilled to introduce to you the much anticipated fourth release in The Redbreast Dream Cask collection, Redbreast Dream Cask Oloroso Sherry Edition.

Our vision was to create a whiskey that both compares and contrasts to the previous year’s edition, a distillation truly unique and a rare expression of one of the World’s Greatest Whiskeys. This year’s release is a 29-year-old single pot still Irish whiskey that celebrates the signature Redbreast style combined with innovation, tradition and time-honoured craftsmanship by vatting together four special whiskeys, aged for a minimum of 29 years in ex-bourbon, sherry and ruby port seasoned casks. The whiskeys were married in a single outstanding Oloroso sherry butt from Jerez de la Frontera in Spain’s Andalusia region, and left to mature for a further 15 months to bring an evolution of its characteristic flavours to the Redbreast experience and we are excited to be able share it with you.

This year’s release takes a new sustainable flight within its unique packaging, a story book that unveils further details about the whiskey and creation process upon opening.

The Redbreast Dream Cask Oloroso Sherry Edition is limited to just 924 bottles, an ABV of 51.2% and RRP €520. It will only be available to purchase by you our valued Birdhouse members through a ballot system. Make sure to log on at 2pm on Monday 17th May to sign up to the ballot and to not miss out, trust us you don’t want to miss this one!

Sláinte,

The Redbreast Team

Money for old rope there!

I wonder if there will be a whisky cask aged Guinness on the way?

They have had so much luck launching any other kind of Guinness down through the year, so why not. :D

I attended a Dingle batch deconstruction tasting and I didn't like any of the drams. I don't know I just don't see the attraction. Graham seems nice but I've never had a Glen Moray that I would rave about either.

They make them regularly at the Maryland Open Gate and even bottle them occasionally. They don't sell them here though.

Effects wrote: »
    They have had so much luck launching any other kind of Guinness down through the year, so why not. :D

Well, the Guinness and Lindemann's from a few years back was a thing of beauty. Does that count?

There's still one tucked away in the pantry that I can't quite decide on when is the appropriate time for opening.

Well, the Guinness and Lindemann's from a few years back was a thing of beauty. Does that count?

There's still one tucked away in the pantry that I can't quite decide on when is the appropriate time for opening.

I think I meant to get one of those, and then never got around to it.

I was more joking about the likes of Toucan Brew and stuff like that.

I've had a load of the beers from Open Gate in Dublin, but can't remember a stout that was barrel aged. But that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Last international stout day that I was there, I finished up with a pint of Foreign Export on draught. It was a rough day following that!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Said this on Twitter but I think it's quite disingenuous. They've branded it in a way that suggests a connection to the regular Guinness brewed in Dublin, when in fact it's an unspecified beer brewed in Maryland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

irish_goat wrote: »
    Said this on Twitter but I think it's quite disingenuous. They've branded it in a way that suggests a connection to the regular Guinness brewed in Dublin, when in fact it's an unspecified beer brewed in Maryland.

Thats very cheeky....

Hard to believe a multinational drinks company would be less than entirely transparent about the provenance of its products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

Finally got my hands on this. Should probably wait for some occasion, but Friday will have to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

arodabomb wrote: »
    Finally got my hands on this. Should probably wait for some occasion, but Friday will have to do!

Where did you get that?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

limnam wrote: »
    Where did you get that?

From Dunvilles, their casks go online a few times a year, but sell out in minutes. Due to Brexit is been sitting in a friend's house in the North for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭tyler71

irish_goat wrote: »

Yeah, can't see standard Guinness in a barrel being a success at all, would get a lot of infections, you'd need an imperial stout like the Fran Well did with Jameson. Now if you told me there was their Foreign Extra Stout in there, I'd be interested.

Any exciting releases in the pipe line? What are black water distillery doing at the moment? Close to producing a whisky?

Any exciting releases in the pipe line? What are black water distillery doing at the moment? Close to producing a whisky?

That will be in 2022.
    Perhaps a young spirit before that but nothing concrete.
    Our releases will concentrate on mixed mash bills with oats being a feature of most.

That will be in 2022.
    Perhaps a young spirit before that but nothing concrete.
    Our releases will concentrate on mixed mash bills with oats being a feature of most.

They're also in on Salvado Rum in Aldi. Cmon BR! :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058137898&page=6

They're also in on Salvado Rum in Aldi. Cmon BR! :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058137898&page=6

Ah, now. This is a whisky thread.
    This is a personal account, I can't be pimping my wares but I am happy to answer any questions!

Puca will be back in Aldi for father's day, too.

I've no objection to others pimping my wares, though!

Ah, now. This is a whisky thread.
    This is a personal account, I can't be pimping my wares but I am happy to answer any questions!

Oh aye, I linked to the appropriate thread for our friend so he can see our unbiased views of your product.

We'll gladly do the pimping for ya. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

L Mulligans tastings as part of Feis Ile - three Scotch tastings around June bank holiday weekend for Ardbeg, Jura and Bunnahabainn.

Signed up for Jura.

http://www.lmulliganwhiskeyshop.com/category-s/191.htm

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement