Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Hogzy wrote:
    The redbreast email came in...... I both hate and love this time of year

Another dream cask to miss out on!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Where's my goddam email!

Heft is not the word!

Where's my goddam email!

I was drinking a good few redbreast last night and the little robin flew by to tell me about it.

Cazale wrote: »
    I was drinking a good few redbreast last night and the little robin flew by to tell me about it.

SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM! I got it and it was not worth the wait. But glad to Report it not spam so it doesn't happen again.

I'm here doing an assignment and I was thinking I'd pour myself an RB12 earlier, and I inadvertently brushed my teeth out of habit when I went to the bathroom cos it's after 9pm!

I'm absolutely scundered here. Palate ruined.

SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM! I got it and it was not worth the wait. But glad to Report it not spam so it doesn't happen again.

Screenshot-20210510-220552-Gmail.jpg

Same here!

• Advertisement

Same here!

All three of them look familiar! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Same here!

Good news, contained within my spam folder was an email from an "Angelika Haas" whos husband Gunter Haas died recently leaving $7,000,000. He was a nigerian business man. The names bear a striking resemblance to those on the Haas F1 team. Must be a coincidence. Anyway, if i send her money to unlock the account she said shes going to split the $7M with me.

DREAMCASKS ARE ON ME LADS!!!!

Hogzy wrote: »
    Good news, contained within my spam folder was an email from an "Angelika Haas" whos husband Gunter Haas died recently leaving $7,000,000. He was a nigerian business man. The names bear a striking resemblance to those on the Haas F1 team. Must be a coincidence. Anyway, if i send her money to unlock the account she said shes going to split the $7M with me.

DREAMCASKS ARE ON ME LADS!!!!

Dreamcasks and RWC final tickets. Thank you very much!

I'm here doing an assignment and I was thinking I'd pour myself an RB12 earlier, and I inadvertently brushed my teeth out of habit when I went to the bathroom cos it's after 9pm!

I'm absolutely scundered here. Palate ruined.

I waited it out and it has helped the creative cause. Moved onto a M+M Single Grain. Haven't had it in ages. Still a lovely dram though.

Definitely did them in the wrong order in hindsight!

Goslings time now... God, I hate assignment deadlines! Though there's some benefit I guess, with a Monday dram excuse!

I'm here doing an assignment and I was thinking I'd pour myself an RB12 earlier.

Poured some RB12 last night myself. Ended up on the ground :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

Poured some RB12 last night myself. Ended up on the ground :mad:

Redbreast In Peace

Irish Whiskey Society Dingle tasting - €25

Thursday 27th of May

1.New Release Component - 46.3% ABV

2.New Release Component - 46.3% ABV

3.New Release - 46.3% ABV

4. Pot Still 4 Cask strength - Australian Shiraz finish - 60% ABV

5. New Make - Peated Malt raw spiritdouble distilled , Feb 2020 - 65%ABV

6. Cask Sample - Peated Single Malt Virgin oak/2nd fill Bourbon Cask strength - 64% ABV.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,079 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

L1011 wrote: »
    Its because the forum software has significant problems with larger threads and a cut off has to be set somewhere.

I'm aware of the software issue. But surely you're around long enough to know that it doesn't happen at 10k posts or close to it. Threads used to run to 100k.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

New L Mulligan tasting up just now:

Friday 21st May 7:30 p.m. via Zoom.

On the night well be joined by Daithi (W.D. O’Connell) and Bridger (Western Herd) and we will tasting the following

Beers

Imperial Stout bottled just for us.

Red Ale.

Whiskeys

Bill Phil

10 year old single grain

12 year old cask strength sherry series

18 year old cask strength PX series

Beers are 330 ml and whiskeys are 17.5 ml

mik_da_man wrote:
    On the night well be joined by Daithi (W.D. O’Connell) and Bridger (Western Herd) and we will tasting the following

Western Herd do some great beers. Likewise W.D. O’Connell do great whiskey.

Predictions on what tomorrows Dingle release will be? The blue packaging sort of signifies that its something different. Id say itll be a regular single malt with an 8yr age statement.

Predictions on what tomorrows Dingle release will be? The blue packaging sort of signifies that its something different. Id say itll be a regular single malt with an 8yr age statement.

Tried it last month at a tasting. I enjoyed it. If your fan of Dingle you'll like it. Details below for those interested.
    It'll be a non age statement Single malt. 46.3% Abv. 5 to 7 year old aged whiskey. 61% PX sherry and 39% bourbon maturation aged separately. Married for few months at end in a tank in a solero style system.

Cazale wrote:
    5. New Make - Peated Malt raw spirit double distilled , Feb 2020 - 65%ABV

Cazale wrote:
    6. Cask Sample - Peated Single Malt Virgin oak/2nd fill Bourbon Cask strength - 64% ABV.

Against my previous protestations about IWS tastings I have caved in on this one. Couldn't turn down the opportunity to try some new make/cask strength Dingle peat.

Tried it last month at a tasting. I enjoyed it. If your fan of Dingle you'll like it. Details below for those interested.
    It'll be a non age statement Single malt. 46.3% Abv. 5 to 7 year old aged whiskey. 61% PX sherry and 39% bourbon maturation aged separately. Married for few months at end in a tank in a solero style system.

So essentially its Single Malt batch 6 is it? With the blue branding I was expecting something different.:(

Hogzy wrote:
    So essentially its Single Malt batch 6 is it? With the blue branding I was expecting something different.

It's their first core release. No Batch 6 this year but there probably will be one in the future. Sorry for spoiling your buzz!

• Advertisement

It's their first core release. No Batch 6 this year but there probably will be one in the future. Sorry for spoiling your buzz!

In hindsight I dunno what I was expecting really. The age statement is immaterial I spose when the whiskeys theyre releasing are all 5-7yrs anyway.

Ill probably pick a bottle up if the price is right.

In hindsight I dunno what I was expecting really. The age statement is immaterial I spose when the whiskeys theyre releasing are all 5-7yrs anyway.

Ill probably pick a bottle up if the price is right.

The resignation I felt reading that. :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

For what it, I'm guessing, going to be their entry level brand, I think they're hyping it up an awful lot.

The official details. I think my figures above were more accurate.

https://ie.irishmalts.com/single-malt/dingle-single-malt-core-release-

€55.00
    VAT included
    This Core Single Malt release has been years in the making and comprises of malt whiskey that has been matured in ex-Bourbon and PX Sherry casks. 30% Bourbon and 61% PX Sherry to be exact. Bottled at 46.3% and non-chill filtered, this is a very interesting whiskey in which the component casks come to fore at different stages.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

The official details. I think my figures above were more accurate.

https://ie.irishmalts.com/single-malt/dingle-single-malt-core-release-

€55.00
    VAT included
    This Core Single Malt release has been years in the making and comprises of malt whiskey that has been matured in ex-Bourbon and PX Sherry casks. 30% Bourbon and 61% PX Sherry to be exact. Bottled at 46.3% and non-chill filtered, this is a very interesting whiskey in which the component casks come to fore at different stages.

Is it worth the price you reckon?

irish_goat wrote: »
    Is it worth the price you reckon?

In the current market I think €55 isn't a bad price for it and it's worth a punt on it. Celtic Whiskey have a tasting coming up if anyone wants to try before they buy.

Join us this June for a virtual whiskey tasting with Dingle Distillery, featuring two exclusive cask samples! This tasting pack features samples of the Dingle Single Malt, Dingle Single Malt Batch 5, Dingle Single Malt Cask Sample, Dingle Single Pot Still Batch 4, and Dingle Single Pot Still Cask Sample.

When?

Zoom tasting will take place on Thursday, June 24th at 8pm with Dinge Distillery's Master Distiller Graham Coull and Luke Crowley Holland (General Manager at the Celtic Whiskey Bar)

irish_goat wrote:
    I think they're hyping it up an awful lot.

I'm not immune to spouting ****e on Twitter to get some free whiskey but the hyperbole has gone into overdrive on there. The fawning over a blurry preview of an eight of the label yesterday filled my timeline for most of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I'm not immune to spouting ****e on Twitter to get some free whiskey but the hyperbole has gone into overdrive on there. The fawning over a blurry preview of an eight of the label yesterday filled my timeline for most of the day.

Bushmills put tweets out directing you to a cocktail recipe on Instagram... like ffs.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Cazale wrote:
    €55.00 VAT included This Core Single Malt release has been years in the making and comprises of malt whiskey that has been matured in ex-Bourbon and PX Sherry casks. 30% Bourbon and 61% PX Sherry to be exact. Bottled at 46.3% and non-chill filtered, this is a very interesting whiskey in which the component casks come to fore at different stages.

One more fact is that they have produced 50,000 bottles of it so plenty to go around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

I was one of the lucky ones to get the FREE ‘official’ Dingle tasting set ( and free glass, hip flask in leather sleeve , metal ‘cooling stones’ and VERY nice slate coaster which my wife has commandeered .The main contents of this extremely courteous pack are four generous ( 50ml +? )samples ( 17.5ml of some tastings really is meagre pickings ) . I’m not sure if I’m ‘kissing and telling’ here .Moderator can delete if needs be .
    I had no whiskey in the house and an earlier trip to Lidl left me unenthused by their selection .
    It was always going to happen .I drank half of each bottle al fresco just now .
    There was a competition fromDingle to win a free bottle by posting on Facebook etc but all the platforms and pages I used were already covered . That leaves here . The samples are Bourbon Component , PX Component , Dingle Single Malt and ‘Dingle Mystery Dram ‘. They are all stunning ! I would say on balance the four set best the classic Potstill set .Although none reaches the heady heights of a Barry Crockett the other three (Greenspot ,Johns Lane and RB) would be well beaten by any of the four .I suspect the ‘mystery ‘ sample was mentioned earlier by Cazale .It’s def stronger than the 46% of the other three and deep red .I wasn’t expecting to like the Bourbon Component but loved it .The PX Component wasn’t a traditional Sherry bomb but was as smooth as silk and soft as cotton candy . Gorgeous . Anyway thanks to Dingle and hope Im not letting any cats out of bags prematurely .Actual tasting is Friday week I think . Oh man , the other half of those bottles look tempting

Advertisement