Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Ah, now. This is a whisky thread.
    This is a personal account, I can't be pimping my wares but I am happy to answer any questions!

Puca will be back in Aldi for father's day, too.

I've no objection to others pimping my wares, though!

Any comments or updates on the blackwater peated distillate? I read its approaching octomore levels of ppm?

odyssey06 wrote: »
    L Mulligans tastings as part of Feis Ile - three Scotch tastings around June bank holiday weekend for Ardbeg, Jura and Bunnahabainn.

Signed up for Jura.

http://www.lmulliganwhiskeyshop.com/category-s/191.htm

I've tasted about 95% of them :mad: The Ardbeg Blaaack is one I've been looking to try but I've had the other Ardbegs numerous times :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,860 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Cazale wrote: »
    I've tasted about 95% of them :mad: The Ardbeg Blaaack is one I've been looking to try but I've had the other Ardbegs numerous times :confused:

Yeah started to notice that, interesting tastings coming up but I've tasted at least 50% of the samples already.
    Might be worth the price of admission though for the craic with raconteur Michael at the tastings :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

June bank holiday weekend is busy with tastings... maybe as it's the last weekend before the pubs reopen?

Mother Macs are running a blind tasting of American whiskey on Saturday 5th June, 6 x 50ml samples.
    The tasting costs €42, and can be collected from Mother Macs in Limerick; or there is shipping within Ireland available at a cost of €6.50.

https://mothermacs.ie/index.php/product/american-whiskey-blind-tasting-event/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Any comments or updates on the blackwater peated distillate? I read its approaching octomore levels of ppm?

That's probably Peat The Magic Dragon.
    I haven't tasted that in a while. It's insane how the perceived level of peatiness changes over time - both up and down.
    I don't make the whisky, so I'm not really the person to ask

• Advertisement

That's probably Peat The Magic Dragon. I haven't tasted that in a while. It's insane how the perceived level of peatiness changes over time - both up and down. I don't make the whisky, so I'm not really the person to ask

Love the name. Im enjoying the Irish peat renaissance but some of them are a little tame. Understandably so but I'd love a proper bastard of an Irish peated whiskey to come along. If you ever hear anymore on it let us know.

odyssey06 wrote:
    Yeah started to notice that, interesting tastings coming up but I've tasted at least 50% of the samples already. Might be worth the price of admission though for the craic with raconteur Michael at the tastings

It's not the worse complaint to have. Yeah you might have twisted my arm!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

Having a sample of Lagavulin DE 1999 this evening. Not enjoying it as much as the regular Lag16. It's like Toy Story 4. Good but not hitting the same heights as before. You could say the problem is it's too Woody :rolleyes:
    [I'll get my coat]

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭tyler71

Love the name. Im enjoying the Irish peat renaissance but some of them are a little tame. Understandably so but I'd love a proper bastard of an Irish peated whiskey to come along. If you ever hear anymore on it let us know.

i wouldn't be an expert on this, but have heard that the triple distillation takes out more of the peat character, making it harder to get really peaty Irish whiskies - any truth to this does anyone know?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Acquired a bottle of Kilchoman Machir Bay and Ardbeg Corryveckan. Got sick of having no Islay on the shelves.

Last night, a large Highland Park 12 and a large Highland Park 21.

The 12 is a fine whisky in its own right but the 21 is really, really good, it’s got a crazy depth to it. I hope the current 12 is as good at age 21.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

tyler71 wrote: »
    i wouldn't be an expert on this, but have heard that the triple distillation takes out more of the peat character, making it harder to get really peaty Irish whiskies - any truth to this does anyone know?

All of our whisky will be double distilled, not triple.
    What you say about triple distillation would be true, though.

And just to head off some questions, no, Irish whisky does not have to be triple distilled.
    And, no, Irish whisky does not have to and has not always had an "e" in the spelling.

The UK subscription service whisky-me.com was on dragons den the other night and received a 75k investment from three of the dragons. They have gone from 4k members to 6.5k since Thursday. They have also launched a World Whiskey subscription along with the Scotch Whiskey one.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/whats-on/whats-on-news/former-nottingham-bartender-accepts-three-5401219

Acquired a bottle of Kilchoman Machir Bay and Ardbeg Corryveckan. Got sick of having no Islay on the shelves.

Last night, a large Highland Park 12 and a large Highland Park 21.

The 12 is a fine whisky in its own right but the 21 is really, really good, it’s got a crazy depth to it. I hope the current 12 is as good at age 21.

Some great whisky there. That Highland Park 21 is mighty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

What a cheese fest!

Whisky marketing makes me despair.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The UK subscription service whisky-me.com was on dragons den the other night and received a 75k investment from three of the dragons. They have gone from 4k members to 6.5k since Thursday. They have also launched a World Whiskey subscription along with the Scotch Whiskey one.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/whats-on/whats-on-news/former-nottingham-bartender-accepts-three-5401219

They're great. Brexit had to go and ruin it all.

They're great. Brexit had to go and ruin it all.

They are gonna expand the service internationally. I'm gonna restart my subscription now I can get up north again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Fercullen 14 lads. Absolutely beautiful Irish whiskey and reminds me of Glenmorangie 10, only nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Is it too late to sign up for the Redbreast Dream Cask ballot?
    I see the countdown timer, but nowhere to register. Thinking I might have missed it.

Effects wrote:
    Is it too late to sign up for the Redbreast Dream Cask ballot? I see the countdown timer, but nowhere to register. Thinking I might have missed it.

It's not opened until 2pm but you shouldn't bother so I have a better chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

It's not opened until 2pm but you shouldn't bother so I have a better chance.

:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Ah ok, I thought it was closing at 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

Tesco has their own brand Finest Irish SM in stock again at 35 .Maynooth has some but not loads .It’s simply the best out there for the money in my opinion .

I’d guess it’s real good Cooley stuff (10 years age statement after all) I haven’t had as ‘steady’ a thirty something favourite since West Cork Dha Chasca two years ago before it got dearer and ‘younger’ (?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Anyone tried the new Dingle? Verdict?

For anybody near the midleton distillery shop they have midleton 2021 and blue spot for sale. 1 per person so bring the family with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

For anybody near the midleton distillery shop they have midleton 2021 and blue spot for sale. 1 per person so bring the family with you.

Interesting. I have to go to Youghal with the brother on Thursday!

Effects wrote:
    Ah ok, I thought it was closing at 2!

Crashed straight away. Ballot application is open for seven days which gives me plenty of time to come up with as many aliases as possible.

Cazale wrote:
    Crashed straight away. Ballot application is open for seven days which gives me plenty of time to come up with as many aliases as possible.

Working now. You need to enter a verification code sent by text which hopefully will help limit multiple entries.

I forgot about it there until a few mins ago. Signed up with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Scuba_tom

First time poster, just looking at Waterford Hook Head 1.1. At 75 euro is it worth it? I like to support local but is that just a very expensive 4 ish y.o?

• Advertisement

Scuba_tom wrote: »
    First time poster, just looking at Waterford Hook Head 1.1. At 75 euro is it worth it? I like to support local but is that just a very expensive 4 ish y.o?

The Waterford offerings are hit and miss for me.
    I wouldnt get too hung up about the age statement... they are trying something different with terroir.

The Ratheadon is wonderful, sheestown was v nice.
    Disappointed with gaia and bannow island.
    Dunno about Hook Head though.

Advertisement