Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

But wouldn't the deposit/non-deposit items have different SKU barcodes, so Shopify knows which ones to charge deposit on, same as the machines know which to refund on?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Many products are retaining their barcodes and not changing particularly if they are also international barcodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Was in Limerick yesterday and found Crew Brewing, had their Dunkel Weisse and Brown Ale. Both very enjoyable. Hope they do well down there.

They certainly seem to be going about things in the right way. Great place, great beer, great people. Every city should have something like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Turns out downgrading your food options and charging 7 quid for your own beer isn’t going to wash with punters.

• Advertisement

Nor is brewing an absolutely stellar Baltic porter, unfortunately. Tharapita: get it before the liquidators liquidate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭winstonia

Shame. I thought they owned all the Dublin ones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Is that a new one? Hard to keep up. They'll survive this though, right?

Yes it is and I have no idea if they will or not.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

These are possibly all leased off the same landlord who owns multiple pubs in Galway and Dublin - but does not operate any Dublin ones.

Two in Dublin don't seem to be included, Beer Temple and Gasworks, which are definitely not leased off him.

So this may be a procedural thing to renegotiate rents. I hope.

• Advertisement

Surprised by that. Are the Dublin ones quiet? Salt House is always busy. Oslo does well but wouldn't be very busy I'd say. Dew Drop wouldn't be as busy since they took it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,704 ✭✭✭hynesie08

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I had understood these to be “Galway Bay Brewery” bars. I’m guessing they’re linked but separate legal operations? So whilst the pubs are now subject to examinership, the brewery operations are not?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're linked but different companies

It isn't even all of the Brú Hospitality (the division of the overall setup that runs the pubs) bars in Dublin - Gasworks and Beer Temple are not under Pizza Eile Limited. I don't know if they are still involved in Urban8 in Kilmainham.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

The parent company applied for an extension on their accounts in the middle last year so they wouldn't have to publish them for the end of the current tax year, that was a massive red flag.

They also made their head brewer redundant, which is a bizarre move for any company that plans to continue as a functional brewery in the long run.

The company over all is split into about 6 holding companies and a seperate parent company.

Pizza Ella's main debter will be the parent company, they also don't lease most of the pubs listed, they bought most of them over the years, the Oslo was owned by the O'Connell family (co-founder's parents to be exact).

I'd be surprised if GBB existed in it's current form in 18 months time.

I feel bad for any debters, as the parent company being the primary debtor will recieve the bulk of any money raised from the probable liquidation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,525 ✭✭✭squonk

Exodus a lot over the last while IMHO. I’ve been on here previously complaining about there relatively high prices for the beer. I know the 330ml can the is a whole other debate but I just largely stopped buying the stuff as I felt it represented bad value. I felt they were price gouging which nags since sense of other parts of the business were under pressure. Mind you with different companies involved in the vitality and brewing side it might just be gouging the the sake of gouging anyway. Mind you sobering has to pay for the expansion in recent years. Personally I hope they trim the fat and end up leaner and back to where they were in about 2011 which is when I came across them first. Good beer and two decent pubs in Galway. This started to go downhill with them IMHO in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There bloody well is, I got charged the deposit on them! 😀

Got two 24 can boxes of Wunderbar for half price so even if I write off the deposit it's still a bargain. I expect to get the deposit back though.

Life ain't always empty.

How on earth can a brewer make its head brewer redundant?

As RTE have found out, it's a fake redundancy if you replace the person - you fire a person, but you make a role redundant, and how can a brewer not have a head brewer?

Plenty of nasty tax implications and possibly WRC hearings if they weren't very careful.

Haven't considered buying any GBB core range in a long while, just far too expensive for what it is.

Life ain't always empty.

I consume far less beer these days than I would have previously (young kids so don't go out often and too tired to start a beer when they've gone to bed usually).

I'd have always frequented the Salt House back in the day but then all their own stuff just got too expensive on draft and the place was full of alternative types with dogs.

Getting rid of Stormy Port years ago still irks. Would never have been a lover of Bay Ale or Full Sail but some of the others like Ostara I'd buy the odd time, or if there was an interesting special. Hopefully they'll slim down the operation and keep one or two of the Galway pubs and just concentrate on decent beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭flended12

Splurged on blacks brewery latest offer.

96 cans for 139!

https://www.blacksbrewery.com/shop/drs1/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=happy_st_brigids_day&utm_term=2024-02-01

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭VM Varga

Thanks.

is the Tropical any use? Used to love Blacks’ beers but I think they’ve gone a bit downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,525 ✭✭✭squonk

True Ben. Stormy Port was nice and time was I’d always have a bottle of Buried At Sea somewhere in the house as I loved it. Then they detached the bothers to 330ml cans but Keith the price relatively high and then they just discontinued it. The Red and Bay Ale were never particularly spectacular I think but they kept those. For some reason I haven’t taken to Ostara. It’s grand but just doesn’t have that seeing that Stormy or buried had. Not been in the Salt House at the evening for a long time but I was in the Black Sheep a few tunes in Dublin in the last few years. Expensive beer and expensive yet indictable food was my impression. Oslo was much better in the times I ate in there back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭flended12

I think blacks are a solid brewery. Hence the purchases. Had tropical before, nice on a warm evening. With the amount of cans I bought, they will be consumed closer to may June than next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Lad, seriously, turn off the predicted text, every time I read one of your posts I think I'm having a stroke ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Think I'll pick up a couple 200 Fathoms tomorrow, just in case it's the last ever produced. 😥

Order went in late on Thursday night (Friday morning really 😉 ) and was delivered 15 minutes ago, that's amazing. Thought it'd be Tuesday in a normal week, Wednesday given the bank holiday.

The cans don't have the Re-Turn logo but I can confirm the barcode is included in the list L1011 posted here (bloody well ought to be, as they did charge me 15c per can) : https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/121704628/#Comment_121704628

Rascals are out of stock on all core beers... hardly surprising!

Incidentally I took my first trip to an RVM this morning doing the weekly shop, first machine I tried rejected everything. Tried the next one and all were accepted. Some GBB (yeah, I know I said I never buy it, but it was 4 for €10) with the logo and some White Hag without, both bought in Lidl with the shelf edge notice that they had to be brought back to their store 🙄 and I'd been charged 15c per can for them. It also accepted a Kinnegar which had been bought with no deposit 😁

Life ain't always empty.

Fk sake, I signed up to their mailing list ages ago and made a few orders from them too, heard nothing about this. Sold out. Great way to treat your customers.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

• Advertisement

Yep. Nope...

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement