Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New swimming pool Castlebar

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭peter4918

Claremorris leisure centre is €7.50 gym & swim afaik. There definitely should be a cheaper swim only option but also there should be a gym only option. To use gym/swim takes a lot of time and many people only want one or the other. The gym prices in Mayo are ridiculous for what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

https://www.midwestradio.ie/index.php/news/30452-separate-swim-and-gym-was-the-call-of-castlebar-councillors-yesterday

Nothing like an upcoming election to keep the councillors on their toes. Meanwhile the Council officials appear to be openly lying about their pricing being comparable to other facilities around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭ClaptonBay

For the annual memberships,does it have to be a one off payment? Or can you direct debit monthly? I think that's one of the main issues if you can't DD. For families, who has 1k readily available for gym membership?!

Once the gym opens and some of the movements 3 for 2 memberships come to a finish (last offer was in January), I think it will start to get busy. It will be a success eventually. Don't understand the logic of some saying they would spend 40 mins in a car to save 2/3 euro to go to Westport with the facility on our doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

ClaptonBay wrote: »
    For the annual memberships,does it have to be a one off payment? Or can you direct debit monthly? I think that's one of the main issues if you can't DD. For families, who has 1k readily available for gym membership?!

Once the gym opens and some of the movements 3 for 2 memberships come to a finish (last offer was in January), I think it will start to get busy. It will be a success eventually. Don't understand the logic of some saying they would spend 40 mins in a car to save 2/3 euro to go to Westport with the facility on our doorstep.
    The swim and food offer in the castlecourt is a very good offer

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CtrlAltDelete

1k.... Sure it's only pocket change to the powers that be... How can you not see this ? The great divide is getting greater in our "modern" world.

As for 40mins in a car for a round trip to Westport from Lough Lannagh.. sure it won't take that long when the "mooted" new road is built ...

Shapers the lot of them.

• Advertisement

Just seen the advert in the Connaught telegraph,says direct debit option available for annual memberships. To me that doesn't make it such a bad deal. Andy's current gym only option is 50e a month. Here you get pool,gym,spa facilities,proper changing facilities for 40e a month..less if both of you are signing up. Plus yoga and other classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

probably a good deal if you plan to use / be a member of the gym, but the crux of the issue is the cost of going for just a swim.. without all the bells and whistles .. it is a swimming pool after all ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

I actually think its not a bad price either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Any links for the prices going? 40 a month is definitely a very good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Asmodean wrote: »
    Any links for the prices going? 40 a month is definitely a very good price.

That is only a special introductory price for the first month.

You can see the price list about half way down the page.

http://www.mayococo.ie/en/News/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

What are peoples thoughts of the facilities now? I haven't been in with the kids yet but I'm hearing its v impressive.
    I assume its nuts busy for the interim and newbie feel, so it will be interesting to see how it goes then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

yop wrote: »
    What are peoples thoughts of the facilities now? I haven't been in with the kids yet but I'm hearing its v impressive.
    I assume its nuts busy for the interim and newbie feel, so it will be interesting to see how it goes then.

its far from nuts, the gf was in and wasnt packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It has been a bit slow going so far from what I have heard, a online petition has been set up as well over the pricing by former Councilor Harry Barrett according to the CT.

Petition

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Xenji wrote: »
    It has been a bit slow going so far from what I have heard, a online petition has been set up as well over the pricing by former Councilor Harry Barrett according to the CT.

Petition

Only for those on a low income,how's that going to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

seligehgit wrote: »
    Only for those on a low income,how's that going to work?:rolleyes:

He's trying to make the point that people on low income can't afford it but there's plenty of people out there, earning a good wage, who probably think €10 for a swim is too pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

He's trying to make the point that people on low income can't afford it but there's plenty of people out there, earning a good wage, who probably think €10 for a swim is too pricey.

Exactly my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

The petition is proposing a €6 price for low-income families... not just a €6 fee for everyone.
    It's a bit of a weird angle to approach it and how will they define low income.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Sounding from a few that its not attracting the numbers expected. Good weather doesn't help of course, but wonder are people voting with their feet?
    With the schools off I'd have expected a growth in numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

PARlance wrote: »
    The petition is proposing a €6 price for low-income families... not just a €6 fee for everyone.
    It's a bit of a weird angle to approach it and how will they define low income.

I must have read it wrong. It is a strange angle alright, he should have petitioned it for across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I don't think he has worded it very well. Surely he means a €6 charge for everyone, which would be of benefit to low income families especially.

It wouldn't be possible to do it any other way as its not like you could have people turning up with their wage slip to get a €4 discount on a swim.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

I think petitions such as this are populist virtue signalling.
    It should not be a political football.
    Soon someone will be claiming there should be free swimming for all
    Suggest the charging structure can be reviewed from time to time depending on local conditions and competition.

just an observation :rolleyes: been using the swimming pool a few times lately and most times i go up theres swimming lessons of some sort going on and that leaves only one proper lane along with another lane for paddlers basically open. Fairly annoying when you want to get a swim in not knowing whether half the pool is going to be used up or not.I asked for a timetable for the pool and was told there is none which i find a bit strange. What if I've travelled in 20 mins to go for a swim, then arrive and there's already 4 in the proper lane and theres paddlers in the other lane so cant get a proper swim in..

Then half the doors of the showers are completely off alignment and have to be lifted or forced to close before you can lock them or else you just have to go searching for one that actually closes.

Felt like a quick rant this morning. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

just an observation :rolleyes: been using the swimming pool a few times lately and most times i go up theres swimming lessons of some sort going on and that leaves only one proper lane along with another lane for paddlers basically open. Fairly annoying when you want to get a swim in not knowing whether half the pool is going to be used up or not.I asked for a timetable for the pool and was told there is none which i find a bit strange. What if I've travelled in 20 mins to go for a swim, then arrive and there's already 4 in the proper lane and theres paddlers in the other lane so cant get a proper swim in..

Then half the doors of the showers are completely off alignment and have to be lifted or forced to close before you can lock them or else you just have to go searching for one that actually closes.

Been meaning to try this place out soon. That's annoying not knowing when the pool is going to be taken over for lessons. Surely they should have a timetable set up by now..? I hope the place is being maintained, doesn't sound great when the fixtures and fittings are starting to give trouble already...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

The pool opened early last year so in a few months it will be a year old.

When a builder finishes a building a percentage, usually 5-10% of the total cost, is retained to make him come back and finish snags or fix things that don't work right at a later date. Usually the architect goes around after 11 months and gives the snag list to the builder before the 12 months is up. Make sure you highlight the door issue to the pool manager and tell him that the 12 months retention will be up soon. If that manager is any good he'll start making a list himself he can give to the architect.

This is important as if no snags are reported and the architect doesn't notice (which is very possible) them then the builder get's his money and the problem will never get fixed.

As for lanes in use the only advice I can give is to ring them if you're thinking of heading for a swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

No your rant is justified. Here is mine, firstly it is a great facility and a wonderful addition to Castlebar. Just a few small niggles. The changing room doors and locks are going to be problematic. They are breaking.

My biggest issue is that there is nowhere to sit and relax after Sauna and Steam room use.

How the F**K did the architect / designer miss that one ? That is a fairly big miss bordering on funny !

6541 wrote: »
    No your rant is justified. Here is mine, firstly it is a great facility and a wonderful addition to Castlebar. Just a few small niggles. The changing room doors and locks are going to be problematic. They are breaking.

My biggest issue is that there is nowhere to sit and relax after Sauna and Steam room use.

How the F**K did the architect / designer miss that one ? That is a fairly big miss bordering on funny !

Yeah agree its great to have it and looks the part as well from the outside. Used the gym on a couple of occasion's outside of the busy periods and it seems fine equipment wise, just a bit narrow is all i would say but not much can be done about that. Though i wish they had included a plunge pool in the plans.

I don't think i should have to ring the pool if i want to go for a swim - were not in the 90's anymore mate. Why don't they have an app that's updated weekly (if necessary) of the times the pool will be in use. I should have the option of opting in to get an alert to say ''the pool timetable has been updated please visit the app etc etc''. The movement have an app already, surely they can work with the app developer to devise one for the pool..

One last bit - the temperature of the showers. About a month ago they were far too hot, now they've gone the other way and flip between lukewarm and cold.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

Yeah agree its great to have it and looks the part as well from the outside. Used the gym on a couple of occasion's outside of the busy periods and it seems fine equipment wise, just a bit narrow is all i would say but not much can be done about that. Though i wish they had included a plunge pool in the plans.

I don't think i should have to ring the pool if i want to go for a swim - were not in the 90's anymore mate. Why don't they have an app that's updated weekly (if necessary) of the times the pool will be in use. I should have the option of opting in to get an alert to say ''the pool timetable has been updated please visit the app etc etc''. The movement have an app already, surely they can work with the app developer to devise one for the pool..

One last bit - the temperature of the showers. About a month ago they were far too hot, now they've gone the other way and flip between lukewarm and cold.:rolleyes:

ballina have an online timetable on a basic website and paper ones that you can take with you from the building, its not a hard thing to do, there should be a certain number of hours allocated to each category, adult lengths being the one your probably looking for, its not a hard thing to do a timetable, theyl know at this stage what hours are taken up with lessons and schools and swimming clubs, allocate some of the hours that are free / less busy to adults

as for the architects and the sauna, as someone who works in the business, youd be amazed at how things get missed, or more likely taken out / cut back on whilst trying to cut prices / costs. in all likelihood the first version of the drawings had all the bells and whistles and then progressively things get cut and cut and important things get cut out that shouldnt..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

No timetable is a joke.
    Very bad management.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Was in there a couple of times since it opened. Bought the one month pass for €40. Swimming pool seemed okay but the steam room smelled of stale water and was flooded anytime I went in. They really should have put in a jacuzzi and plunge pool while the were at it.

I think I prefer the Westport pool for that reason alone. Westport also have an up to date pool timetable on their website. Sometimes you can have the whole pool to yourself after 8pm on week days so much better for a proper swim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

recyclebin wrote:
    I think I prefer the Westport pool for that reason alone. Westport also have an up to date pool timetable on their website. Sometimes you can have the whole pool to yourself after 8pm on week days so much better for a proper swim.

Having the whole pool to yourself is all very nice. But not a sustainable business model

Advertisement