Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New swimming pool Castlebar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The price list has seemed to have irked a lot of people going by the 500 plus comments on the Connaught Telegrapghs Facebook page since yesterday evening, as mentioned they really need to look into a swim only price, it is a big jump from €4 to €10 for PAYG if you have no interest in using the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Price list and options are a joke in fairness. Everything tied in with a private gym... an awful lot of public money has went into it. Glad to see people are voicing their opinions.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Won't be using it and won't be bringing the kids again to.the classes if they think my public money used to build it now needs 25% more to use it.��

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

I think you will see different price points, they are only bedding in. Lets see what offers come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I wonder has it anything to do with the movement taking over the gym? His current gym pricing structure is very similar

Nail on the head there. I've said it myself and heard from a good few others that its not a gym for the average punter looking to get started. They definitely only seem to cater to the elite and comes across as intimidating if you're not already fit. Looks like he's keeping the same mentality with the new facility, which is a big shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

pjordan wrote: »
    Not sure about the pricing structure. Seems to be geared towards capturing memberships and seems on a par or slightly higher than local commercial alternatives. The one rate that stand out is a massive jump of 250% for the one off visit from €4 in old pool to €10 here for an adult. Admittedly the €10 is for pool and gym but I always wonder what proportion of people use both at the same time rather than one of the other. It’d be nice to be able to just have a swim say for €6.

Was hoping to leave my current gym and use this once opened. When I saw the pricelist yesterday, I knew there'd be concerns. Coming from an annual membership of E390 in Galway city for gym & pool, I was surprised to see it at E490, even moreso when you consider this is replacing a public pool. It's too expensive for Mayo. Only on a handful of occasions, would I use the gym & pool afterward. I wouldn't like to start doing it just to get the value either.

Looks like they are trying to keep the entry to a certain clientele.

You don't want the pool being dirt cheap & turning into a free for all but there should be a gym only or swim only option at a decent price available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

MCC have had their speak on the issue today as it seems to be becoming an election issue, not a very useful response to be honest - they're going with the sweep it under the carpet approach as a starting point:

"Mayo County Council can confirm that the pricing structures at the new swimming pool and gym at Lough Lannagh, Castlebar are in line with other facilities that are of similar size and scale. The facility is due to open to the public on Friday 05th of April and plans for a series of Introductory offers will be announced to co-incide with the opening. Pricing structures will be kept under continuous review"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

in line with other facilities that are of similar size and scale.

Ya other facilities in Dublin or New York maybe......
    Let them burn on it, they'll realise soon enough that a tenner for a swim is a rip off, when the numbers drop off. Pathetic that it needs to be highlighted, was there even a consultation or poll on what people would be prepared to pay or consider fair..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭StudentDad

10 Euros a swim? No thanks. I thought it was supposed to be a municipal pool, not a private pool paid for with public money.

I can go to any of the hotels etc and pay that. Phrases like, 'great facilities,' etc., are meaningless if the general public have to pay private pool prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Ridiculous prices for swim only, E30 for two adults and two children??!!

The same in Ballina pool is E13, where I used to go in Terenure was E12 and in Rathmines was E15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Asmodean wrote: »
    Nail on the head there. I've said it myself and heard from a good few others that its not a gym for the average punter looking to get started. They definitely only seem to cater to the elite and comes across as intimidating if you're not already fit. Looks like he's keeping the same mentality with the new facility, which is a big shame.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/leading-a-new-movement-to-boost-public-fitness-31399922.html
    "Our motto is 'Movement changes everything' and we pride ourselves on having a gym where there are no machines. Our focus is on movement and that's what we want to get people doing."

The above is a report on the opening of the original The Movment gym when it opened in 2015.

The thing I want to know is 'TM' bringing the same philosophy to the new gym?

The idea they wouldn't have machines in a public gym is absurd.

Edit: Also personally, I was looking for a new gym option, I don't swim. From what I've read there doesn't seem to be a gym only option. Even if there were in time I couldn't now see it being priced less the the original TM gym. So after all this what's the point? Just a change of location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

10 quid for a dip ? Are there mermaids in it or something ? Disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

They have machines in the Gym

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

AllForIt wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/leading-a-new-movement-to-boost-public-fitness-31399922.html

The above is a report on the opening of the original The Movment gym when it opened in 2015.

The thing I want to know is 'TM' bringing the same philosophy to the new gym?
    Do they really not have machines in the original gym? No treadmills for example?

Edit: full price list and opening times now available

https://www.mayo.ie/news/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/128438_Movement_PriceList_A4_V5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

They are going for a €7 swim and spa only rate, but you have to buy a book of 10.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Xenji wrote: »
    They are going for a €7 swim and spa only rate, but you have to buy a book of 10.

Could be tight for low income families forking out? Then again maybe not.

yop wrote: »
    Could be tight for low income families forking out? Then again maybe not.

At least it's a bit of an improvement. Still seems on the high side.

Despite investing a significant amount in this facility, it's still just a Gym and Pool at the end of the day. It's in direct competition with a lot of hotels in Castlebar & Westport.

It's a real shame that the climbing wall didn't go ahead or that they didn't have the vision to include some slides etc into the swimming side.

Millions spent and nothing really to differentiate it between what people could get in the Castlecourt or Breaffy House. That's a waste of public money if you ask me.

Great to have something new, just really disappointing that it could have been so much more.

PARlance wrote: »
    At least it's a bit of an improvement. Still seems on the high side.

Despite investing a significant amount in this facility, it's still just a Gym and Pool at the end of the day. It's in direct competition with a lot of hotels in Castlebar & Westport.

It's a real shame that the climbing wall didn't go ahead or that they didn't have the vision to include some slides etc into the swimming side.

Millions spent and nothing really to differentiate it between what people could get in the Castlecourt or Breaffy House. That's a waste of public money if you ask me.

Great to have something new, just really disappointing that it could have been so much more.

100%
    Was in the UK lately and the local pool has a water shoot and a board and a slide. That was 6 pounds to use.
    There is no "X factor", just the new smell which will dissipate.
    Hopefully its a success but this has been controversial from start to finish and now this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

the "aura" pool in drogheda and navan are 7.50 euro for a swim.. but i dont be in them much so i can live with it every now and then,

for someone that swims a lot 7euro ( on the package deal ) is too expensive, il be in ballina pool twice a week at least for a lot of the summer , its 4 euro for an adult swim,and cheaper if you buy a book for stamping,

i know castlebar is a new building is all flashy but at the end of the day its still a 25m pool, its not gonna magically make anyone a better swimmer ..
    i dont know what the options are for swimmers / triathletes etc in castlebar but at 7 euro a go i can see a lot of people going elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Can't help but wonder if the swim only multi ticket option was a late addition as a result of the bad publicity on the CT Facebook page and on Midwest during the week. It's a bit of an improvement, but the absence of a pay as you go one off swim admission (without the gym add on) is poor form and should be raised with canvassing councillors. I'll probably give it one go to have a look inside but beyond that, unless it's amazing, I'll go elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Dudda wrote: »
    Do they really not have machines in the original gym? No treadmills for example?

I should have said I was talking about weights machines not aerobic machines such as treadmills etc. The original TM does not have any weights machines, they just have racks of so called free weights i.e dumbells etc. Which makes their gym a bit more specialized as they stock very heavy free weights which advanced bodybuilders prefer.

Anyway, a previous poster has confirmed the new gym has weights machines so that's something good at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Westport gym and pool is 8 euro so not a huge difference in price. Westport has adults only after 8pm and the pool will be almost empty on week nights.

I've never really tried any of the hotels in Westport or Castlebar. Do they have 25m pools with lanes for proper swimming? Or adults only after a certain time?

recyclebin wrote: »
    Westport gym and pool is 8 euro so not a huge difference in price. Westport has adults only after 8pm and the pool will be almost empty on week nights.

I've never really tried any of the hotels in Westport or Castlebar. Do they have 25m pools with lanes for proper swimming? Or adults only after a certain time?

Not really the point though. Someone who has been paying 4 euros a swim in the old pool in castlebar, without a gym option and has no real interest in using a gym, suddenly has to pay a higher fee for something they didn't ask for.

The new facilities are probably very nice. However, the jump from 4 euros to 10 euros, is quite a leap. It forms an economic disincentive for someone to start swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

StudentDad wrote: »
    Not really the point though. Someone who has been paying 4 euros a swim in the old pool in castlebar, without a gym option and has no real interest in using a gym, suddenly has to pay a higher fee for something they didn't ask for.

The new facilities are probably very nice. However, the jump from 4 euros to 10 euros, is quite a leap. It forms an economic disincentive for someone to start swimming.

Exactly and that would be OK if this was a private venture - any gob****e councillors come looking for my vote better have something substantial to say.

Tell me - anyone that knows. Are these new facilities available to schools? Is there an aspiration / target that no one leaves school without at least basic swimming?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I don't think thats a fair comment. Whatever about the price increase, people complain all the time that things don't get improved and now you're saying the pool upgrade is something people didn't ask for.

I'd echo the point on schools having access, I'd hope that the existing arrangements remain

Purgative wrote: »
    Is there an aspiration / target that no one leaves school without at least basic swimming?

Some details on that here https://www.swimireland.ie/get-swimming

Nothing mandatory afaik but my kid's school are involved.

Green&Red wrote: »
    I don't think thats a fair comment. Whatever about the price increase, people complain all the time that things don't get improved and now you're saying the pool upgrade is something people didn't ask for.

I'd echo the point on schools having access, I'd hope that the existing arrangements remain

What I'm saying is that if you have been using the old pool and paying 4 euros a swim, with no interest in a gym, it's a bit of a stretch to bump up the price to 10 euros and combine the two. Effectively making people pay for something they didn't ask for. There ought to be a swim only option. As far as I know that isn't an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Oh absolutely, there should be a stand alone price for swim

What I'm saying is that if you have been using the old pool and paying 4 euros a swim, with no interest in a gym, it's a bit of a stretch to bump up the price to 10 euros and combine the two. Effectively making people pay for something they didn't ask for. There ought to be a swim only option. As far as I know that isn't an option.

It's a huge jump but I think part of the problem is that €4 seems on the low side and any change look drastic.

Public pools are €7.50 for a swim in Dublin afaik. Not sure what the prices for PAYG are locally but I think that a €7 fee for swim only isn't too bad.
    But they really need to have that pay as you go option for it to be a real public pool (in my mind anyway).

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote: »
    It's a huge jump but I think part of the problem is that €4 seems on the low side and any change look drastic.

Public pools are €7.50 for a swim in Dublin afaik. Not sure what the prices for PAYG are locally but I think that a €7 fee for swim only isn't too bad.
    But they really need to have that pay as you go option for it to be a real public pool (in my mind anyway).

4 euro was a steal. 7-8 euro seems to be more a standard.
    Personally I'd never use the gym, membership isn't an option.

It will be a fabulous facility to have on our doorsteps, so small tweaks to the charging will onboard a lot of people who will enjoy the place for many years.

Advertisement