Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New swimming pool Castlebar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Any heard anything about this opening yet...? I see it's still closed off with a bit of work to complete. Am looking forward to trying it out..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭irishgeo

UsBus wrote: »
    Any heard anything about this opening yet...? I see it's still closed off with a bit of work to complete. Am looking forward to trying it out..
    Latest is opening in phases. Pool bit opening first. End of November /early December

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

So I got a two hour tour of the new Swimming on Saturday. It was open for anyone who registered as part of a ‘Architecture at the Edge’ tour which is kinda like an open house festival for Mayo/Galway/Clare. It was mostly swimming club members and a few architects at it I think.

Anyway... the architect doesn’t know when it’s going to open. He said, and I quote, ‘99% sure it will open before Christmas’. The trouble now is with two items from what understand. Management of the facility and building sign off which is BCAR. The BCAR I’ve dealt with and is manageable if you know what your at however I don’t think the council do.

I’ve decided to write a little review as its such a big deal locally. You can skip to the attached photos below if you want.
    The pool itself isn’t bad. It’s very functional. At other pools and leisure centers they feel more comfortable while this feels more cheap and designed around what’s easy to clean. It’s a big tilled hall with a hole filled with water. It really doesn’t feel inviting or well designed. It’s definitely a functional pool and not an inviting leisure facility.
    The part I was most impressed about is what nobody will see. The underground plant area where the boilers are, the water filter tanks, pumps, heating controls, chemical controls, etc is massive. I was shocked at the underground maze of huge corridors and equipment to run a pool. I can see how that would take a while (not as long as it took but would add to the construction time).
    They have a ‘changing village’ which has lockers, changing rooms and showers. It’s unisex with no male and female changing. It has group changing rooms which are cleverly divided for mixed primary schools but also linked for supervision. The group rooms can also be used by teams, etc. Disabled and wheelchair facilities are also very good. The thing I really dislike about this area is the colours. It’s very dark (no windows or natural light due to privacy) and very dark coloured tiles. Then you’ve crazy bright green and orange. Some may like the colours, I don’t.
    The changing lead onto the main pool which is a 25m pool that 1.1meters deep at the shallow end. This I was told is deeper than the 0.9meters traditionally at a shallow end to allow turning in competitions. They have a learning or kids pool which goes from 0.6m to 0.9m and has a full ramp into the pool for wheelchairs.
    A sauna and steam room which would probably hold 20 each at a squeeze are just off the main pool area. It also has a viewing gallery which looks very uncomfortable as you sit on a tiled bench rather than a seat.
    Upstairs is a dance/multi-purpose room with a dividable wall and sprung timber floor. This would be great for dancing / aerobics / meetings/ book launches / anything really.
    Also upstairs is another much larger area which I think is the gym (currently empty). It also has a sprung timber floor and another more solid floor area for weights. They’ll have all the exercise equipment like bikes, treadmills, etc here. This has nice views over the lake. Upstairs they have smaller ‘dry’ changing rooms for the gym. It has showers but it’s wet room designed like the swimming pool changing village.
    The building also has meeting rooms, staff area and all the other bits you’d expect.

Another reply with additional photos (max was 5 per post). Should have renamed the ones in the first post to make it easier to know what was what.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

All looks a little underwhelming... or is that just me. I'm not sure what I expected tbh, but a little more WOW factor than that.

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote: »
    All looks a little underwhelming... or is that just me. I'm not sure what I expected tbh, but a little more WOW factor than that.

That's exactly what I was trying to get across in my short summary. It's functional but not inviting or inspiring. I feel it was a massively missed opportunity to create something special or WOW.

It will be very busy when it opens out of people's interest and curiosity and probably continue into the new year as people try and loose Christmas weight as is usual in January and February so will be considered a huge success by local papers and politicians. In reality it will die down a bit then when the initial interest fades.

Next general election we'll have every candidate claim they helped deliver the this world class facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

Think yourselves lucky. Lucan (Dublin) has been crying out for a pool for years. Castlebar population is around 11K, Lucan is around 50K :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

It looks very industrial to me but then again its better than the old one. What will be come of that?

Is there anything happening with the horkans restaurant on mainstreet it’s a long time going no where

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

naughto wrote:
    Is there anything happening with the horkans restaurant on mainstreet it’s a long time going no where

Trouble securing contractor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Jameswhalley

PARlance wrote: »

The wow factor will be at the checkout

You'll be paying double what you were for a swim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

The wow factor will be at the checkout

You'll be paying double what you were for a swim

That is a key point - If they do that people will continue to use pools in Westport.
    Go to any of the pools in Westport at any time of day and you will find a good smattering of Castlebar people.
    Load of Castlebar people have membership of hotel gyms etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

degsie wrote: »
    Think yourselves lucky. Lucan (Dublin) has been crying out for a pool for years. Castlebar population is around 11K, Lucan is around 50K :(

Yes, yes we are very lucky compared to all the facilities in Lucan....
    In fact lets not bother getting any more money off the government, and make sure it ALL stays in dublin from now, forget about the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

As someone who's only recently moved relocated here in the last couple of years I have to say the swimming pool has become something of a joke to me; I think its ridiculous. I'm no stranger to unfinished white elephants having lived in a good few places with similarly abysmally planned projects ,but it was such a huge focus for the town and the only real development of its kind in the area so it stands out like such a sore thumb.

Such a shame too, the lake is absolutely stunning as a local amenity, I'm constantly blown away by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    Yes, yes we are very lucky compared to all the facilities in Lucan....
    In fact lets not bother getting any more money off the government, and make sure it ALL stays in dublin from now, forget about the rest of us.

Where do I sign? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Dudda wrote: »
    ...... The trouble now is with two items from what understand. Management of the facility and building sign off which is BCAR......

if there is a delay in getting the building signed off for BCAR it may well mean that something doesn't comply or someone won't sign off on something, it might not be a quick fix at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2018/12/14/4166612-andy-morans-firm-secures-gym-tenancy-of-new-mayo-leisure-facility/

I don't believe this. I thought the gym would be run by the council not by a private enterprise giving the town another option to the 2 main gyms i.e Castle Leisure gym and The Movement, neither of which I want to rejoin. I attended a council run gym in London and it was cheap and cheerful. You could pay as you go and the membership option was considerably cheaper than private gyms.

I just don't understand this. If the council are providing the equipment when why would they need The Movement to run it. All they need to do is employ a few trainers?

Also they say it's going to be ready in the first quarter of 2019. I wouldn't bank on that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭irishgeo

AllForIt wrote: »
    https://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2018/12/14/4166612-andy-morans-firm-secures-gym-tenancy-of-new-mayo-leisure-facility/

I don't believe this. I thought the gym would be run by the council not by a private enterprise giving the town another option to the 2 main gyms i.e Castle Leisure gym and The Movement, neither of which I want to rejoin. I attended a council run gym in London and it was cheap and cheerful. You could pay as you go and the membership option was considerably cheaper than private gyms.

I just don't understand this. If the council are providing the equipment when why would they need The Movement to run it. All they need to do is employ a few trainers?

Also they say it's going to be ready in the first quarter of 2019. I wouldn't bank on that either.

if it ever opens. its q1 2019 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

AllForIt wrote: »

I have to agree there. It’s definitely excluding a lot of people by going down that route. I’ve looked into The movement before and it’s prices are too high. I think you’re paying a bit extra there for feeling like you’re part of the elite. I’ve heard from a lot of people too that it’s a pretty intimidating gym to attend if you’re not super in shape already, which defeats the whole purpose really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'm highly inclined to object to this. But the Con Tel report isn't completely clear about what is happening. What I'm wondering is is The Movement moving down from it's current location or will they run 2 venues concurrently. Hardly the latter but as I said the report isn't clear on this.

I would really like some advice on how to go about finding out exactly what is going on if anyone could help. I'm be happy to speak to a councillor to get clarification and even voice my objection if after clarification it's warranted.

AllForIt wrote:
    I'm highly inclined to object to this. But the Con Tel report isn't completely clear about what is happening. What I'm wondering is is The Movement moving down from it's current location or will they run 2 venues concurrently. Hardly the latter but as I said the report isn't clear on this.

The two locations will remain. Original one will concentrate on classes and Lough lannagh will be more of a traditional gym from what I understand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

The two locations will remain. Original one will concentrate on classes and Lough lannagh will be more of a traditional gym from what I understand

I heard that was the plan too. But wouldn't be surprised to see the current one close in under the year.

It'll be very interesting to see how the new one is run, it should really be a public gym, which I doubt it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 morrough

As someone who visits Castlebar a few times a year, wondering why it’s got a new swimming pool? The other one must be like 30 years old? Could it not have been refurbished? Does it have some serious underlying problems that a new pool was required? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

morrough wrote: »
    As someone who visits Castlebar a few times a year, wondering why it’s got a new swimming pool? The other one must be like 30 years old? Could it not have been refurbished? Does it have some serious underlying problems that a new pool was required? Thanks

Asbestos roof for starters. It’s well over 30yrs (38!) I’d imagine. It hasn’t had a penny spent in that time as far as I can see. Looks the same now as it did when I was in school and we’d go there.
    In fairness it’s served the town well but it’s very basic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ali30

This is really nuisance. You took too much time.

ali30 wrote: »
    Welcome to Boards. If your looking to give out and complain about the constant delays in this pool opening you’ve come to the right place!

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

ali30 wrote: »

? Who is the you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭ClaptonBay

Love that you joined just to post that message Ali!sums up everyone's frustrations really..

Listening to a podcast with Andy Moran today recorded before Xmas and said 8 to 9 weeks from opening...that translates to end of Feb...more likely next September if we're lucky!😒

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭tomoliver

i hope they have a bottle of bleach for the toilets anyhow

i like the claremorris setup but the toilets stink ,same with tesco claremorris

prob the same cleaners involved?

The February opening date is looking dodgy now.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭tomoliver

whats gone wrong now

is there a problem with irish water not being paid to fill the pool

Advertisement