Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New swimming pool Castlebar

Options
  • 25-08-2017 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭

Okay not going to be popular calling this out but I am calling it out. The new swimming pool in Castlebar is a joke, we are two years into construction, I hear serious building errors happened, like levels incorrect, problems with contractors etc. I think it is about time we get a report on this.

It is a joke that they did not have the foresight to build a 50 meter pool, please, please tell me that the construction is modular and in the future they will have the ability to construct another 25 meters on to that building.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Joke for sure. It's still a long way off. I believe there will be an option to extend the pool. At least some lanes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Apparently it will be extendable, will never happen though.

It was started just in time for the last general election (draw your own conclusions) , that tower crane was sitting idle for months and months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Someone needs to get on to Michael kilcoyne

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I would love for Castlebar to have a 50m pool but it doesn't make financial sense. While building a larger pool isn't a massive additional cost or issue it's the long term cast that's the problem. The running costs for a 25m pool are high but manageable but the running costs for a 50m pool are massive. It's not like it's twice the cost as it's twice the length. While a 50m pool would have a huge catchment area it wouldn't come close to the running cost required. The shortfall would have to be made up by the council and that would mean higher rates for local businesses. It's just not worth it. Again building a larger pool isn't a problem.

I'm hearing some very bad things about this project. Budget over runs, major features being mothballed and even more delays on the way

• Advertisement

I'm hearing some very bad things about this project. Budget over runs, major features being mothballed and even more delays on the way

i heard the same thing.

Lets hope they actually build the pool bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

What Major feature is mothballed ?

6541 wrote: »
    What Major feature is mothballed ?
    The climbing wall, which was to be the centre piece of the adventure building and the Boat access to Lough Lannagh, wouldnt be surprised to see the site closing for an extended period either

The climbing wall, which was to be the centre piece of the adventure building and the Boat access to Lough Lannagh, wouldnt be surprised to see the site closing for an extended period either

Who is the developer?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

I heard the developer went in so low to get the contract that he will be in bother with this over run and fu1ck ups

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

That is a real shame

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,146 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hadn't realised there was going to be a climbing wall,real shame if it doesn't happen. Having it right next to the college would have been great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

naughto wrote: »
    I heard the developer went in so low to get the contract that he will be in bother with this over run and fu1ck ups

Depends on who messed up and what’s happened. eg if the council messed up in some element of the design or detail and need it changed it will result in a 'change order' which the contractor will be paid well for. Get enough good change orders and you can turn an undercut project into a very profitable job. What the hell is wrong anyway? Must be a big problem if they’re removing a climbing wall and boat house to offset the cost. I've little faith in the council architects running a council project paid by the council, built by a contractor which in the end will be managed and run by the council.

edit:
    some info on the builder, contract, price (original not current price), etc
    http://www.dttas.ie/sites/default/files/content/corporate/english/general/procurement-over-%E2%82%AC10-million/sports-capital-mayo-county-council-procurement-information.pdf

Architects, engineers and builders named at the official signing.
    http://www.castlebar.ie/photos/tom-campbell/New-Swimming-Pool-Complex.shtml

From what I'm hearing. There has been big screw ups on the contractors side.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Looking at that article the only contractors I know are Moran Electrical and I can vouch for them as a reputable firm. Would not be the type to undercut a contract to get it and carry out excellent work.

I wouldn't like to see them tarred with the same brush as other contractors

The roof looks complete anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

I was told over xmas that there's a major problem with the concrete floor, that it was poured unevenly or too high and that they've been "sanding" it like you would a wooden floor to try to get the level even or lowered (not sure which).
    By the way, am gobsmacked not to see solar panels on the roof of such a huge new building, or am I wrong? Surely that has to be in public building specs nowadays ...

Connacht wrote: »
    I was told over xmas that there's a major problem with the concrete floor, that it was poured unevenly or too high and that they've been "sanding" it like you would a wooden floor to try to get the level even or lowered (not sure which).
    By the way, am gobsmacked not to see solar panels on the roof of such a huge new building, or am I wrong? Surely that has to be in public building specs nowadays ...

for heating what? solar panels barely heat a copper hot water cylinder. not going to much use for heating the pool water?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

they don't have to be used to heat water.

Councillors still moaning about a 50m pool. You couldn't afford it lads with all the money you waste everywhere.

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote:
    Councillors still moaning about a 50m pool. You couldn't afford it lads with all the money you waste everywhere.

The cant afford to finish the plan they have it seems. Same old story

Still not open

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

How long is the building work going on now for?

The sod turning was the 16th of May 2016. So 2 years. Not bad only a hlyear behind schedule. Love to know how much it all cost. A freedom of information request would be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

irishgeo wrote: »
    The sod turning was the 16th of May 2016. So 2 years. Not bad only a hlyear behind schedule. Love to know how much it all cost. A freedom of information request would be interesting.

The work was due to commence in November 2015 but had to be delayed due to inclement weather conditions, so it's really been nearly 33 months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Still not open

Drove up to it yesterday evening. Looking finished from the outside but still a lot of work to be done inside from the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭ClaptonBay

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

ClaptonBay wrote: »

A great insight?

Here's the article in full to save anyone else the hassle.

"MAYO TD Lisa Chambers has quizzed the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport Shane Ross on the status of the Castlebar swimming pool project, when it is due to open and the reason for the delay in completion.

In response, the Minister said: “In October 2015, Mayo County Council was given a formal allocation of €3.8 million for the replacement swimming pool.

"In addition, a Sports Capital Programme allocation of €3.9 million was approved for dry facilities. Construction commenced in 2016, is ongoing and is expected to be completed later this year.”"

Really narrows it down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭ClaptonBay

PARlance wrote: »
    ClaptonBay wrote: »

A great insight?

Here's the article in full to save anyone else the hassle.

"MAYO TD Lisa Chambers has quizzed the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport Shane Ross on the status of the Castlebar swimming pool project, when it is due to open and the reason for the delay in completion.

In response, the Minister said: “In October 2015, Mayo County Council was given a formal allocation of €3.8 million for the replacement swimming pool.

"In addition, a Sports Capital Programme allocation of €3.9 million was approved for dry facilities. Construction commenced in 2016, is ongoing and is expected to be completed later this year.”"
    Sarcasm my friend....

Advertisement