Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gillette | Toxic masculinity advert.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Early in 2018 Gillette asked agencies to pitch to expand their sales in the "lucrative" woman's shaving market. Gillette's market share and margins were falling in the men's marketplace, yet the market for woman's shaving products was growing fast and much more profitable..

I googled market share analysis woman's shaving, all the background can be found online from reliable sources (marketing agency news etc).

I am assuming all the woman supporting the ad approached their husbands/partners and not the other way round. Unfortunately I am the sort of beast of a male that approached my, now wife, in a public place, and I am glad I did as we have been together for 25 years. If some bloke I didn't know had stepped in to stop me I would have to push him away and tell him to f$%@ off.

SB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

My wife's boyfriend loved this. Thank you!

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

stupid petty response by self.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Here's my own experience of toxic masculinity.

A few years ago my son was bullied by one individual at school.

My traditional masculine suggestion was "why don't you punch him in the face as hard as you can, and then he won't do it again?"

He reacted quite emotionally with "but I don't want to punch him in the face!".

So he found a non violent approach, and that worked, and I learned something.

That's what this ad is clumsily attempting to do, to demonstrate other ways of behaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Women: Treat us like Humans.
    Men: You're being sensitive and irrational.
    Gillette: Men, we can be better.
    Men: Pterodactyl scream!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Lumen wrote: »
    Here's my own experience of toxic masculinity.

A few years ago my son was bullied by one individual at school.

My traditional masculine suggestion was "why don't you punch him in the face as hard as you can, and then he won't do it again?"

He reacted quite emotionally with "but I don't want to punch him in the face!".

So he found a non violent approach, and that worked, and I learned something.

That's what this ad is clumsily attempting to do, to demonstrate other ways of behaving.

Unfortunately sometimes a punch in the face is needed, even if you don't want to do it.

Anger and violence is a clear and essential part of our evolution. That's not to say you go straight for the headbutt, but you need it there when the sh*t hits the fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I dislike this Gillette ad and fully get where guys are coming from, but this meme isn't that effective - nobody tells boys that He Man's physique is the one to try and attain. If anything that physique is ridiculed (Arnie).

Not that there's that much pressure put on girls to attain a Barbie figure either. Maybe in the 80s there was.

Fairly stupid, dishonest meme either way.

No one is telling girls that either. They are telling themselves, and buying magazines etc that tell them how to achieve xyz. No one is lecturing them.

Augme wrote: »
    Ironically most of the people who seem to hate the gilette ad would love that.

This betrays your real attitude to men. Most of us must certainly would not love that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Just under two minutes long and not one fecker anywhere shown shaving.

That's because they don't have enough testosterone to grow facial hair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

Axl Rose should write a song about Gillette, he's a great writer, well ahead of his time...

One, two, one, two, three, four
    Yes I needed some time to get away
    I needed some peace of mind
    Some peace of mind that'll stay
    So I thumbed it, now it's six in L.A.
    Maybe a Greyhound could be my way
    ...... and ....., that's right
    Get outta my way
    Don't need to buy none of your
    Gold chains today
    Now don't need no bracelets
    Clamped in front of my back
    Just need my ticket 'till then
    Won't you cut me some slack
    You're one in a million
    Yeah that's what you are
    You're one in a million babe
    You're a shooting star
    Maybe some day we'll see you
    Before you make us cry
    You know we tried to reach you
    But you were much to high
    Much too high
    Much too high
    Much too high
    ...... and ......
    They make no sense to me
    They come to our country
    And think they'll do as they please
    Like start some ....,.
    Or spread some ....... disease
    And they talk so many God damn ways
    It's all Greek to me
    Well some say I'm lazy
    And others say that's just me
    Some say I'm crazy
    I guess I'll always be
    But it's been such a long time
    Since I knew right from wrong
    It's all the means to and end I'm
    I keep it moving along
    Hey, hey, hey, yeah
    You're one in a million
    You're a shooting star
    You're one in a million babe
    You know that you are
    Maybe some day we'll see you
    Before you make us cry
    You know we tried to reach you
    But you were much to high
    Much too high
    Much too high
    Much too high

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Come on guys, let's be honest here - most of us have been in situations, or know people, where that "man's man" thing is still rife. Whether it was our fathers, grandfathers, uncles, older male cousins - or even friends. We quietly accept it or don't challenge it for the most part.

Individually we might think progressively and actually be supportive, but in a big group of lads having a few pints in the pub you'll keep your mouth shut and say nothing. I guarantee it. This ad is saying "don't do that, be brave enough to say something". I don't think it's saying every man is like that, nor am I. Just that when you are in that situation, don't accept it. Challenge it. Is anyone going to do that though?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

#triggeramanin4words is trending on twitter.

I'd imagine "is my bum big?" and "the seat is up" have been used already.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

Come on guys, let's be honest here - most of us have been in situations, or know people, where that "man's man" thing is still rife. Whether it was our fathers, grandfathers, uncles, older male cousins - or even friends. We quietly accept it or don't challenge it for the most part.

Individually we might think progressively and actually be supportive, but in a big group of lads having a few pints in the pub you'll keep your mouth shut and say nothing. I guarantee it. This ad is saying "don't do that, be brave enough to say something". I don't think it's saying every man is like that, nor am I. Just that when you are in that situation, don't accept it. Challenge it. Is anyone going to do that though?

Yeah but it's "Gillette" telling them to do it for no other reason than to create noise and PR for themselves to sell more razors and chemically based shaving cream. Gillette for christsakes.

Gillette don't give a monkeys arse about making the world a "better place" for anybody only than their own share price and $$$$$$ profits. If they really wanted to make the world a better place how about they start in their own house first? Stop using environmental damaging chemicals for their products? Help eradicate child slave labour in the manufacture of Palm oil based products? Stop testing their chemical based products on innocent animals? How about that?

Laughable morality gymnastics from a bunch of coked up advertising execs is what this is. "we can do better" yeah well, Gillette and its daddy company P&G certainly can do a hell of lot better in its own gaff first before lecturing to anyone else about any other topic themselves.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

Next we'll have an advert for BAE Systems telling everybody to stop violent anti social behaviour

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

razorblunt wrote: »
    #triggeramanin4words is trending on twitter.

I'd imagine "is my bum big?" and "the seat is up" have been used already.

#leavethetoiletseatup

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

It's no worse than the condescending fanny pad adverts aimed at women really

All the Gillette ads are muck, whoever they use, like Coke and McDonalds

There doesn't seem to be any shortage of people willing to buy their **** products.

The Razors are a disgraceful price for a bit of plastic and metal, whats should cost 4 euro, costs 20

Ush1 wrote: »
    Unfortunately sometimes a punch in the face is needed, even if you don't want to do it...That's not to say you go straight for the headbutt, but you need it there when the sh*t hits the fan.

The only situation in which self-defensive violence is necessary is when you're with a person who has insisted on crippling their running ability with ridiculous clothing choices.

If there's a campaign to be fought it's against stupid shoes. Stand with me brothers.
    Ush1 wrote: »
    Anger and violence is a clear and essential part of our evolution.

Was. We are not evolving any more.

Civilisation is what we have created to leave that behind. We live in a society where (fortunately) health and happiness are no longer dependent on having the biggest fists. As a 70kg weakling this pleases me. This is my time!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Of course we are and will continue to do so. More and more people are being born with no wisdom teeth is one example. Since agriculture came along we've adapted numerous responses to novel foods in our diets. Evolution doesn't just stop.
    Civilisation is what we have created to leave that behind. We live in a society where (fortunately) health and happiness are no longer dependent on having the biggest fists. As a 70kg weakling this pleases me. This is my time!
    And who do you think defends that society for you? If someone twice your size attacks you what do you turn to to sort it out? A mass hug in? Nope, it's usually a 6 feet 4 Guard from Clare. You can afford to have health and happiness because a shit ton of hairy arse lads and a fair few lasses have built same and continue to defend it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Wibbs wrote: »
    Of course we are and will continue to do so. More and more people are being born with no wisdom teeth is one example. Since agriculture came along we've adapted numerous responses to novel foods in our diets. Evolution doesn't just stop.

And who do you think defends that society for you? If someone twice your size attacks you what do you turn to to sort it out? A mass hug in? Nope, it's usually a 6 feet 4 Guard from Clare. You can afford to have health and happiness because a shit ton of hairy arse lads and a fair few lasses have built same and continue to defend it.

AND thr guard will be clean shaven!
    Case closed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

The only situation in which self-defensive violence is necessary is when you're with a person who has insisted on crippling their running ability with ridiculous clothing choices.

If there's a campaign to be fought it's against stupid shoes. Stand with me brothers.

Well you might have stopped evolving but your species hasn't, who knows what genetic mutations will be valuable and dominant in the coming millennia.
    As for the rest, well good for you, but I don't think big fists were ever linked with happiness, success perhaps, but happiness?
    And as for happiness, that's a commodity that seems to be in continual decline in modern 'society' as more and more people seem to be increasingly anxious, unhappy and medicated.
    As for the pleased 70kg weaklings, I question what they're doing with 'their time', far too often their time seems to be spent wagging their finger like Helen Lovejoy on the internet and then determinedly destroying anybody that disagree with them.
    I put it to you that intersection feminism, an ideology that actively despises them, has absolutely nothing to offer men.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Speak for yourself, i would challenge any of my friends if i felt they were being super creeps towards women/men or in some way glorifying toxic behaviour. If you can't do that, find other friends who are not like that or change yourself, it's your choice.

Of course we are and will continue to do so. More and more people are being born with no wisdom teeth is one example.... Evolution doesn't just stop.
    That's not evolution by reproductive natural selection, it's something else.

Sure. I'm not saying nobody ever needs to use violence, but I was responding to the idea that I personally need to use it ("That's not to say you go straight for the headbutt, but you need it there when the sh*t hits the fan."), which I don't think I do.

conorhal wrote: »
    As for the pleased 70kg weaklings, I question what they're doing with 'their time', far too often their time seems to be spent wagging their finger like Helen Lovejoy on the internet...
    I realise that I'm throwing this stone from a glasshouse, but you're the one with 4,000 posts on After Hours. :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I would f**king love to be 70kg.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I would f**king love to be 70kg.

Ah, 11 stone, got it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

I realise that I'm throwing this stone from a glasshouse, but you're the one with 4,000 posts on After Hours. :D

Well when you have an account for a decade you'll rack up a few posts, all ammounting to less then 2 posts a day. I know people that manage that per hour on facebook or twitter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭An_Toirpin

Do you mean bulling? Why do you equate that to men?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I think one of the issues is the use of the term "toxic masculinity" as it implies masculinity itself is toxic - which it isn't - rather than that some aspects of what is perceived by some as 'proper' masculinity are toxic - to men, and by extension to those who interact with those men.

Man up.
    Boys don't cry.
    Real men.
    Hit things rather than feel.
    Survival of the fittest.
    If you want it - take it.

These toxic aspects harm men, they tell men to behave in ways that can be harmful to their mental health and physical welfare. Be a manly man, shove down those feelings, it's better to rage than cry, don't seek help or support, use your fists not your brains, emotions are for the week, grab what you want and damn the consequences, when it gets too much lash out.

No one is saying ALL men are toxic. Some are saying there are things that are been hyped as masculinity that are toxic.

Nor, is anyone saying there are not aspects of femininity that are toxic. The difference here is women are used to being told by ads how to behave, be a proper woman, how to dress, how to eat, how to live, how to orgasm, how to find love, how to keep love, what every woman wants... - there is a whole magazine industry alone dedicated to that. A decades old industry. Women are pushing back against that.

The messages sent as to what constitutes 'proper' masculinity and femininity (messages reinforced and exploited by advertisers) are insidious, harmful, and subconsciously powerful and affect all genders. They are saying if you aspire to be a real man or woman you must be like THIS (and our product will help you achieve that).

Most women loved the Gillitte ad - these are your wives, mothers, sisters, daughters, nieces, grandmothers... has anyone stopped for a second to consider what this says about what women think about the way so called 'proper' men act? Or does that not matter to real men?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

givyjoe wrote: »
    You're wasting your time!

This is the internet, that's kinda what it's for like :p

Advertisement