Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gillette | Toxic masculinity advert.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Augme

Muckka wrote: »
    et's face it women prefer a guy who's confident, strong and healthy.

It perfectly possible to be a guy like that who isn't a complete asshole. The problem is a lot of guys like yourself don't seem to realise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

This article is more annoying that the ad

https://www.independent.ie/life/barbara-scully-well-done-gillette-this-is-the-progress-we-needed-37715422.html

But times are changing and men are changing. I have just spent two weeks in Australia, that bastion of manliness, where I witnessed the younger generation of men being so much more involved in the minutiae of family life than my generation generally were.

These young men are taking responsibility for cooking and being so very hands on with their babies. If it's happening in Australia, it's also happening here and so I am hopeful that despite the push-back by some, often older, men, real change is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

1547531242768.jpg
    :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

49937930_2609656665729004_3807928024792301568_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-1.fna&oh=63dfdeaad489fa916e22af7517673431&oe=5CB84A07

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭fattymuatty

Someone posted this on Reddit last night. Only a minority of scumbag women behave this way, but if anyone made an ad suggesting that good women should feel bad about it because other people who happen to also have X chromosomes do it, there'd be absolute uproar.

• Toxic Feminity is when a woman tricks a man into raising a child that isn't his.
    • Toxic Feminity is when a woman lies about physical or emotional abuse in court to gain custody of the children.
    • Toxic Feminity is when a woman marries a man only for his money.
    • Toxic Feminity is when a mother says bad things to her child about the father behind his back.
    • Toxic Feminity is when a woman makes a false claim of sexual assault.
    • Toxic Feminity is when women use social media to cyberbully boys into believing their gender is inherently evil.
    • Toxic Feminity is when women expect a man to pay for everything.
    • Toxic Feminity is when a woman hits a man and expects to get away with it because she's a woman.
    • Toxic Feminity is when female teachers give better grades to female students, just because they are girls.
    • Toxic Feminity is when women shut down the conversation about male homelessness and suicide because it doesn't fit their narrative.
    • Toxic Feminity is when women say, "the future is female" right in the face of their sons.

This is what Toxic Feminity looks like.

Did that make you feel uncomfortable? Did you feel like that was a little bit of an over-generalization?

Good. Now you know how most men felt when they saw that Gillette ad.

I'm a woman and not offended by this list. And I have and would call out a friend if she was behaving in a manner which I thought wasn't on. Why wouldn't you? I may not be responsible for them but I have morals and it is important to me to stand by them. I don't think I am alone in that, I frequent a forum where the vast majority of posters are female and it is full of threads from women questioning morals, asking what they can do better next time to help more etc. Learning from each other how to be better people, not just saying I am fine as I am because truthfully most of us have areas we could do with working on.

That's what I don't understand, all this why should I look out for anyone other than myself stuff? You look out for people other than yourself because it's the decent thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

Augme wrote: »
    It perfectly possible to be a guy like that who isn't a complete asshole. The problem is a lot of guys like yourself don't seem to realise that.

Well I realized that guy's like me usually walk away from assholes.

An asshole can be a guy who's allowing himself to be walked all over, just for the sake of peace.
    It's a contradiction all the same.

There's as much assholes in both sexes.

Some men and women are happier single, and that's ok
    Ironically being single is probably the status a lot of men and women prefer.
    But if you're under the impression life without a partner isn't living, or life with a partner isn't living.

Who's the asshole then ?

We're living in a world where we're encouraging men to become more like women, and encouraging women to become more like men.

Put another way though - on a few threads in the past, especially on the Ladies Lounge forum and Gentlemans Club forum - I have asked people what they think a "real man" or a "real woman" actually is. Or how they would define words like "gentleman". Or what do they actually mean with phrases like "man up" and so on.

What I have noticed is that every answer - every time - are attributes you would want more of in _any_ person. Gender irrelevant.

So perhaps we are not actually "encouraging men to become more like women, and encouraging women to become more like men" so much as we are often attempting to stop imagining divisions between the two that are not even there - or creating some that for no reason at all we think should be there.

One painfully obvious example of this is in the threads where gay adoption or gay parenting comes up. And you get the usual types lining up to tell you a child has a "right" or "deserves" or "needs" this "ideal" of one male parent and one female parent. But none of them can actually explain why. Because there is no reason why. And no one has to pretend "men" as a whole" and "women" as a whole are identical when they are not - to notice this.
    I just don't feel responsible for other men.

Not to direct my reply specifically to you - your post is just a useful spring board. But I agree - nor do I for the most part. At least not specifically men.

As a society I think we all have _some_ responsibility to hold some awareness to the actions and well being of others. Gender independent though. My being a man does not make me feel I have a particular responsibility to police other men specifically. I am happy to accept some level of it for other people in general however.

But even then I do not object that much to some of the core message of the Ad. But the thing about the ad for me is it genders some issues that do not need to be gendered - and in other places makes things into issues that are not even issues.

An example of the former - the ad opens showing two kinds of bullying. A small group running down a smaller kid - and online name calling and abuse. Bullying happens between all kids of all genders. The people who should step into stop it should be too.

An example of the latter - it goes on to show one guy stopping another guys from following a woman down the road. Like most others on the thread who discussed that particular scene - I do not see anything wrong with that at all. And if someone tried to stop me physically from simply walking down the road I would instantly switch into the mode of treating it as a self defence situation.

I see nothing specifically wrong with the "I think what she is trying to say is" situation either. This is something we should all do when it makes sense. Important however is always go back and ask the paraphrased person if the paraphrasing person got it right. "Steel Manning" the position of another in conversation is a good thing.

The "smile sweety" scene was at least not too off the mark but again we can de-gender it. Approaching people is fine as I said but I have seen way too many situations where I wish someone had - and I direct this at myself too - vocalized at the time how poor an approach it was when it was out of line.
    Do you mean the bit in the ad where the man steps in to help the boy being chased by a group? That stood out as a noble thing to do.

Was it though :D In a fun attempt to derail the discussion of gender on the thread I think I will have fun being divisive over a completely non-gender related issue as a devils advocate - just to mix it up a little :)

That parent moved to intervene in a group of bullies by pulling their own child at speed across a road - without seemingly checking traffic and physically pushing innocent bystanders out of the way potentially into said traffic while at it - all to drag their small child into what was a potentially dangerous and violent situation that could have turned on them badly.

Does not strike me as the best parenting move I have ever watched. Any number of ways emulating that scene in real life could get you - or your innocent little one who did not ask to be dragged over to it - hurt or even killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Stoicism is one of the strongest elements of traditional masculinity. Also not being too concerned with superficial stuff is another big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,102 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

givyjoe wrote: »
    professore wrote: »
    I'd say it's a completely different topic ....

aD0OR4O_700bwp_v1.webp

Ha.

But, but, but, but.. man up :P

I can't see the image. It just says invalid image. But I'll assume it's dead witty.

I don't think I've ever said man up. But don't let that get in the way of the persecution fantasy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Stoicism is one of the strongest elements of traditional masculinity. Also not being too concerned with superficial stuff is another big one.

Am not sure stoicism is a good word to connect with masculinity; it has implications of fatalism, bowing the head, suffering in silence, resignation to a fate. Slaves can be stoic, prisoners also, people suffering horrible pain or illness. I think resilience is a better word and it is applicable to both sexes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,102 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Zorya wrote: »

Am not sure stoicism is a good word to connect with masculinity; it has implications of fatalism, bowing the head, suffering in silence, resignation to a fate. Slaves can be stoic, prisoners also, people suffering horrible pain or illness. I think resilience is a better word and it is applicable to both sexes.

It's funny. If someone like me mentiond stoicism in these types of discussions the reaction was that stoicism forced men to suffer in silence and not speak about their concerns and "look at the male suicide rate" etc.

The reaction to stoicism and other old school masculine traits completely depends on who says it. Because it's not black and white.

Men having the freedom and education to deal with problems in a way that's most healthy for them would be my preference. But what would I know?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I associate the word "stoic" with the Samurai more than anything else. This would be largely a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

professore wrote: »
    I'd say it's a completely different topic ....

aD0OR4O_700bwp_v1.webp
    I dislike this Gillette ad and fully get where guys are coming from, but this meme isn't that effective - nobody tells boys that He Man's physique is the one to try and attain. If anything that physique is ridiculed (Arnie).

Not that there's that much pressure put on girls to attain a Barbie figure either. Maybe in the 80s there was.

Fairly stupid, dishonest meme either way.

It's funny. If someone like me mentiond stoicism in these types of discussions the reaction was that stoicism forced men to suffer in silence and not speak about their concerns and "look at the male suicide rate" etc.

The reaction to stoicism and other old school masculine traits completely depends on who says it. Because it's not black and white.

I haven't been following contributions closely, but I think you are on the side of defending the advert.

It is obvious that there is a problem with the advert.

It is not just here, limited to boards, where people can call local objectors broflakes or whatever. There has been a fairly strong reaction from many different kinds of people - I have seen men from different countries respond negatively, young, old, and plenty of women too find it obnoxious.
    So, even if the advert does not grind your gears, it obviously is irritating many people.

The general response from the defenders of the advert seems to be along the lines of - What's your problem, Bro? It just says ''be Nice''. You got a problem with that? Or are you a wuss? Gonna cry about an advert?

Very condescending stuff. Snide. Righteous. Nasty.

jimgoose wrote: »
    I associate the word "stoic" with the Samurai more than anything else. This would be largely a good thing.

Yes, I do too. Warriors etc.

But it has other connotations. And in the context here, I believe the poster was saying be stoic about the advert, in the sense of shutting up, putting up, keep the head down and take it like a man. Because it was qualified with not getting upset about trivial things. This advert droning at a boy a few times a day from a TV set is not a good thing. In my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

Men having the freedom and education to deal with problems in a way that's most healthy for them would be my preference. But what would I know?

There's so many buzz words a minority of women use to emasculate confident men.

Everything can be twisted to make the man look bad and when he tries to explain himself, dammed if he does and dammed if he doesn't.

Men manipulate women too, I've female friends and what they marry into is far from a good noble honest conscientious man.

Drinking too much, not willing to man up and be a good father.
    Friends and hobbies more important, I'm saying all this so as to let the readers know I know it's not always the women's fault.

This is an educational thread and I'm going to try other brand's now besides Gillette

the reaction was that stoicism forced men to suffer in silence and not speak about their concerns
    Am not sure stoicism is a good word to connect with masculinity; it has implications of fatalism, bowing the head, suffering in silence, resignation to a fate.

I have not studied stoicism very much but enough to wonder where the use of the word got associated with the idea of essentially suffering in silence.

When I was reading Montaigne's work for example which refers back to the stoics a lot and led me to look at Seneca a lot too - I got a much different impression of it's content.

Rather the understanding of it that I have formed can well be represented in a quote I read in that work of "He who knows how to suffer suffers less". I think it was Montaigne who then wrote "He who fears he shall suffer already suffers that fear".

So for me stoicism is a lot about our approach to suffering - and how the narratives we parse that suffering through are actually a greater source of the suffering than the suffering itself. And quite often a lot of our suffering can be alleviated by accepting the things that are out of our control and learning to focus on the things that are.

Seneca for example taught that one way to deal with the pain of grief around death - rather than suffering in silence - was to stop yourself and others being silent and to invite people to share openly the memories they had of the departed. Seneca is said to have told a grieving mother for example to “invite talk in which his actions may be re-told and hold open your ears to the name and memories of your son”.

In fact when I looked at the wiki article on stoicism right now the only mention of the word silence I could find was an acknowledgement that lay men describe stoicism as "suffering in silence".

I have not studied stoicism very much but enough to wonder where the use of the word got associated with the idea of essentially suffering in silence.

When I was reading Montaigne's work for example which refers back to the stoics a lot and led me to look at Seneca a lot too - I got a much different impression of it's content.

Rather the understanding of it that I have formed can well be represented in a quote I read in that work of "He who knows how to suffer suffers less". I think it was Montaigne who then wrote "He who fears he shall suffer already suffers that fear".

So for me stoicism is a lot about our approach to suffering - and how the narratives we parse that suffering through are actually a greater source of the suffering than the suffering itself. And quite often a lot of our suffering can be alleviated by accepting the things that are out of our control and learning to focus on the things that are.

Seneca for example taught that one way to deal with the pain of grief around death - rather than suffering in silence - was to stop yourself and others being silent and to invite people to share openly the memories they had of the departed. Seneca is said to have told a grieving mother for example to “invite talk in which his actions may be re-told and hold open your ears to the name and memories of your son”.

In fact when I looked at the wiki article on stoicism right now the only mention of the word silence I could find was an acknowledgement that lay men describe stoicism as "suffering in silence".

Yes I know stoicism has positive connotations. It is a whole school of philosophy.
    But in the context it was used here I did not find it related to its positive side. What if we said to any other groups that are maligned - in the sense of character smearing, which I find the advert to be in regard to the vast majority of men who are not bullies or idiots - that they should be stoic?

There is time for stoicism and there is time for kicking arse. Even the Buddha killed a pirate.

There is time for stoicism and there is time for kicking arse.

I think my understanding of stoicism informs me that one can - and maybe even should - do a lot of both at the same time :) And in fact one can make you more effective at the other.

I think my understanding of stoicism informs me that one can - and maybe even should - do a lot of both at the same time :) And in fact one can make you more effective at the other.

Quite so indeed. For example, the stoicism of the Samurai informed him that suffering could be a good and noble thing, and as such needed to be shared via the channel of the great dai-katana. :D

• Advertisement

I agree. Stoical arse-kicking is the best kind. :)

jimgoose wrote: »
    the stoicism of the Samurai informed him that suffering could be a good and noble thing, and as such needed to be shared

How very Mother Theresa of him. The fetishism and worshipping and revelling in suffering is not something I ever got from stoicism quite the way Agnes or the Samurai may have.

How very Mother Theresa of him. The fetishism and worshipping and revelling in suffering is not something I ever got from stoicism quite the way Agnes or the Samurai may have.

In Shinto, suffering isn't so much worshipped as seen as a normal, natural part of the human experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,052 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I dislike this Gillette ad and fully get where guys are coming from, but this meme isn't that effective - nobody tells boys that He Man's physique is the one to try and attain. If anything that physique is ridiculed (Arnie).

Not that there's that much pressure put on girls to attain a Barbie figure either. Maybe in the 80s there was.

Fairly stupid, dishonest meme either way.

There is a lot more men with body issues than you would think, adverts aimed at men for most things all the guys have perfect bodies, heck even adverts aimed at woman the those yogurt ads men are naked in them and they are all well built, what image is that sending out to younger boys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

I can't see the image. It just says invalid image. But I'll assume it's dead witty.

I don't think I've ever said man up. But don't let that get in the way of the persecution fantasy.

You're losing it.. seriously. What are you on about? You cant even see the photo, so why are you commenting on a post that wasn't quoting you or in reference to you?! Talk about persecution complex :rolleyes:.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Magnatu

Is touching a woman on the shoulder now sexual assault?

Magnatu wrote: »
    Is touching a woman on the shoulder now sexual assault?

Why do you feel the need to put your hands on a women?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Augme wrote: »
    Why do you feel the need to put your hands on a women?

Perhaps she dropped something, in a loud environment where calling won't suffice. Are you actually having a laugh? :rolleyes:

Poster obviously wasn't serious, I suspect you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I'm a woman and not offended by this list. And I have and would call out a friend if she was behaving in a manner which I thought wasn't on. Why wouldn't you? I may not be responsible for them but I have morals and it is important to me to stand by them. I don't think I am alone in that, I frequent a forum where the vast majority of posters are female and it is full of threads from women questioning morals, asking what they can do better next time to help more etc. Learning from each other how to be better people, not just saying I am fine as I am because truthfully most of us have areas we could do with working on.

That's what I don't understand, all this why should I look out for anyone other than myself stuff? You look out for people other than yourself because it's the decent thing to do.

Here's an analogy for you: There's a difference between deciding to get fit and seeking out advice on how to get fit, and having someone say to you "You. You're unfit. You shouldn't be. Do better." This "advice" for men is unsolicited - I didn't ask anyone for advice on becoming a better person because I'm perfectly happy with myself as I am, and making that advice demographic-based inherently means that the person giving the advice feels like the demographic in question in general isn't good enough. That's where the "this ad is telling men they're not good enough" thing is coming from.

Would you object to some random person saying to you "your outfit is hideous, make more of an effort next time"? Would you object to going about your day and listening to your mp3 player, when some random person comes up to you and says "your taste in music is sh!te, listen to better stuff"? Would you object to leaving a book shop with some of your favourite author's books under your arm, and having someone say "that author is crap. You must be intellectually deficient if you're willing to read their stuff"?

Self-improvement when it's chosen by the individual in question is of course a good thing. Unsolicited "you need to improve yourself, you're not good enough at the moment" advice is inherently offensive. "You need to improve yourself because you're a member of this demographic, and this demographic isn't good enough at the moment" is even more offensive.

Another analogous thought experiment: What if a UK television station ran ads directed towards Irish people specifically, saying "you can be a better Irish person", and using some stereotype such as one Irish person - male or female - seeing another order a pint with a couple of empty pint glasses beside them, and intervening to lecture them on drinking too much? You wouldn't regard that as inherently condescending?

• Advertisement

givyjoe wrote: »
    Perhaps she dropped something, in a loud environment where calling won't suffice. Are you actually having a laugh? :rolleyes:

Poster obviously wasn't serious, I suspect you are.

I assumed he was trying to be "subtley" serious by making a stupidly over the top point.

Advertisement