Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gillette | Toxic masculinity advert.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

As professore said earlier, we have thick skins. I'm worried about the next generation of lads growing up being told "you're most likely a bad person even if you think you're not. Be ashamed."

Would you be saying "get thicker skin" to women, black people or gay people who had spent their lives seeing hate speech against their kind accepted and normalised in mainstream society, back when that was still socially acceptable?

"you're most likely a bad person even if you think you're not. Be ashamed." - I don't get that from that advert at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

maccored wrote: »
    "you're most likely a bad person even if you think you're not. Be ashamed." - I don't get that from that advert at all.

Ok let me put this another way. If one believes the vast majority of men to be good people already, then why would they need to be told to be good people?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Had a chortle at this

DxBZG6FWkAANiTX.jpg:small

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Aye, I must admit - unsurprising, and at this point almost boring misandrist narratives aside - I'm enjoying all the funny pictures (memes?) being created :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Ok let me put this another way. If one believes the vast majority of men to be good people already, then why would they need to be told to be good people?

How about if all men were fundamentally toxic and ****s why would anyone bother asking them to call out bad behaviour. Sure, presumably they all, being completely lost in toxicity would be so evil, what would be the point. Game already over.

But no one is saying that and the ad just isn't either. The message is imo that it's because you are good that we have faith in your sense of fair play & disgust of bad behaviour and that you should be proud to portray your decency rather that letting a few little ****s swagger around getting the message they have free rein.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Imagine if Discover Island brought out an ad specifically addressing travellers. Proceeding to lecture them on cleanliness of their temporary dwellings while telling them to get their sh*t in order, to get a job and pay taxes, contribute to the system in which they take from that Irish society seem to subsidise. Continuing on to denigrate their group in how they raise their children, instructing that they complete second level education. Telling the travelling community that they must have respect and show civility for the public when outside of their community.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Mrsmum wrote: »
    How about if all men were fundamentally toxic and ****s why would anyone bother asking them to call out bad behaviour. Sure, presumably they all, being completely lost in toxicity would be so evil, what would be the point. Game already over.

But no one is saying that and the ad just isn't either. The message is imo that it's because you are good that we have faith in your sense of fair play & disgust of bad behaviour and that you should be proud to portray your decency rather that letting a few little ****s swagger around getting the message they have free rein.

If they believe that I'm already good, they shouldn't believe I need to be condescendingly told to act like it. If they believe that anything like a majority of men need to be told to do the right thing, then fundamentally they don't believe we're good people to begin with unless we're "prodded" in the right direction.

It's as offensive as the "teach boys not to rape" crap. It implies that our default position or behaviour is a negative one unless we're actively "steered straight".

Nobody ever makes such claims about women, certainly not in the mainstream. Hence the outrage over double standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

If they believe that I'm already good, they shouldn't believe I need to be condescendingly told to act like it. If they believe that anything like a majority of men need to be told to do the right thing, then fundamentally they don't believe we're good people to begin with unless we're "prodded" in the right direction.

It's as offensive as the "teach boys not to rape" crap. It implies that our default position or behaviour is a negative one unless we're actively "steered straight".

Nobody ever makes such claims about women, certainly not in the mainstream. Hence the outrage over double standards.

You're wasting your time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Am I a wrong in the only issue I have is them breaking up the lads fighting?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Augme

Imagine if Discover Island brought out an ad specifically addressing travellers. Proceeding to lecture them on cleanliness of their temporary dwellings while telling them to get their sh*t in order, to get a job and pay taxes, contribute to the system in which they take from that Irish society seem to subsidise. Continuing on to denigrate their group in how they raise their children, instructing that they complete second level education. Telling the travelling community that they must have respect and show civility for the public when outside of their community.

Ironically most of the people who seem to hate the gilette ad would love that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,338 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

lbc2019 wrote: »
    Am I a wrong in the only issue I have is them breaking up the lads fighting?

Lots of people have various issues with the ad.
    A few peiole are extreme and some people have the odd little thing they dislike about it and some question would Gillette do a similar ad for women.
    Take for instance I'd never pull back a person from approaching somebody on the street. I think that's over the top. If they were pestering somebody then I'd say leave them alone.
    My only issue really is people saying oh you can't be offended or discuss the ad or of you question it you have major issues with it. I love discussion on lots of topics and think its important.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Augme wrote: »

Most men hate travellers too? What else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

lertsnim wrote: »

Do most met hate travellers? Maybe on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭lertsnim

lbc2019 wrote: »
    Do most met hate travellers? Maybe on boards

I didn't make the claim so no point asking me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Why is there a narrative in the first place that thinks men need to be told to do better?

You really have to ask that question? :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Augme

lertsnim wrote: »

Glad to know you've taken a poll form every man on what they think about the gilette ad. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

It's good thing ads like that weren't released just before D-Day or the whole bloody thing might well have been called off!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭An_Toirpin

That is pure prejudice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Could one not say the ad is a version of the old Edmund Burke quote - "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

Indeed. It's almost as if the advert is appealing to classic christian/western virtues such as justice, temperance and prudence.

I mean, aren't reactionaries forever bemoaning the erosion of western values/virtues by the cultural-Marxists? And along comes Gillette to save the day and, nope, a massive hissy fit is the result!

Ya. Just. Can't. Win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭An_Toirpin

Indeed. It's almost as if the advert is appealing to classic christian/western virtues such as justice, temperance and prudence.

I mean, aren't reactionaries forever bemoaning the erosion of western values/virtues by the cultural-Marxists? And along comes Gillette to save the day and, nope, a massive hissy fit is the result!

Ya. Just. Can't. Win.

Guilt by genitals.

There is no epidemic of men not intervening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Cartroubles

Ya. Just. Can't. Win.
    Remember that time you said the Tinder serial sex pest was innocent but then it turned out he really wasn't at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Gillette doesn’t seem to be for the sensitive skinned after all.

Ba da dum. Tish.

WAH wah.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think the advert is like an unintentional comedy sketch, made by a think tank.
    It seems very false and forced.
    More shocking to me is the extortionate price of Gillette products disposable razors etc.
    Rip offs.
    I have not used one of them in years

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

Ironically some old Welsh gardener told me Gillette razor blades are made from melted down steel part's from British Nuclear submarines and warships....

He said he'd never go near them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭AllForIt

That ad makes we want to slit my wrists with some really sharp blades.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,040 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Also using some extremist Americans on he video seems to have not gone down well. The young Turks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Ironically most of the people who seem to accept the gillette ad would be the ones outraged by that hypothetical example .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Also using some extremist Americans on he video seems to have not gone down well. The young Turks
    The Armenians won't be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Just under two minutes long and not one fecker anywhere shown shaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Just under two minutes long and not one fecker anywhere shown shaving.

It is almost like one of those exotic perfume ads.
    If you did not know what the product was for you would have no notion what was going on in it.
    Very obscure stuff.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Advertisement