Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Snow & Ice Possible Thursday 8th / Friday 9th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

havent watched closely today but from charts just posted what stands out to me is that the front is arriving about 4 hours earlier than progged last night. I dont think that is in anyones interests and completely gooses any chance for my area anyway. I thought this would be more of an overnight affair.

From my untrained eyes, I don't see it arriving 4 hours earlier than what the models were predicted yesterday, 2 hours earlier max on some of the models as you were on others, if anything it looks to be crossing the country slightly slower.
    I stand to be corrected on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I agree, and HIRLAM, strangely enough, shows similar, if not more enhanced dew point readings for around the same time. Forecast for my town for Tuesday morn from YR.

image.png

I think that's grossly overstating how low dewpoints will get. Obviously if the temperature falls to say -6 then the dewpoint can be no higher than this, but with a band of precipitation just having passed through and an Atlantic airmass to follow, I'll eat my hat if you get a dewpoint below -2 at any time tomorrow night or Tuesday. It has temperature hovering just above 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Could see a few flakes in Dublin in an hour or so, the radar showing a little bit pushing in from the Irish sea http://m.met.ie/weather-rainfall-radar.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

dacogawa wrote: »
    Could see a few flakes in Dublin in an hour or so, the radar showing a little bit pushing in from the Irish sea http://m.met.ie/weather-rainfall-radar.aspx

Had a few bits of hail/graupel there in D14 a few minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,547 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Hirlam 18z

hirlamuk-1-29-0.png?04-22

That would almost certainly be disruptive if things transpired like that.

Temperatures are dropping below freezing now in the eastern half of the country but some occasional showers are coming on shore - this could lead to dangerous driving conditions later in the night.

Perhaps some snow toward morning on some east coasts as well.

Can I ask a moderator to change back the thread title as this thread was never meant for a singular "event" - :confused: Perhaps we could change the title back but keep the warning? It would be a lot neater.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

ZX7R wrote: »
    From my untrained eyes, I don't see it arriving 4 hours earlier than what the models were predicted yesterday, 2 hours earlier max on some of the models as you were on others, if anything it looks to be crossing the country slightly slower.
    I stand to be corrected on this.

I havent got any saved charts to prove this but my sense yesterday was that the front would arrive in my area (Cork suburbs) around midnight. On some of Meteorites charts posted most recently, the front has fully passed through my area by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

-2.9c here tonight already in my frost hollow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Some icy drizzle here now.

4.1C at Howth , -1C @ Dublin Airport

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

At least with the front coming in earlier we will know our faith before bedtime. Nothing worse than going to bed with all the hope in the world and opening the curtains the next morning to find it dry or worst of all wet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

0.7c in Arklow

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

4.1C at Howth , -1C @ Dublin Airport

Now that’s a contrast !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,117 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

3c here in West Clare, got down to 2.5c around 10 minutes ago. Temperature fluctuating a strangely large amount, with no notable wind increases.

Those small rain showers near the east could prove treacherous tonight if they pick up much intensity with road temperatures falling below zero- black ice potential

• Registered Users Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭pad199207

Car temp of 5c in Dublin City Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Clear sky and frost on the roof of the car here, meath

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Agh 1.8c and rain from latest shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Rain shower . D17

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

Heavy frost on car now - Leixlip

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Going by the last snow Dublin had, the urban heat island effect might be quite limited unless there's at least ~5km or so of suburbia upwind of various places in Dublin. It's a different kettle of fish with an easterly wind though.

There is a certain range of temperatures where snow will stick to grass or cars but not the ground, that could be very prevalent in the more central parts in Dublin. Like on 30th November 2010 when snow wasn't properly sticking on roads in the city centre for maybe 3 hours that day, but stuck elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,117 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Straight snow forecast for DUB from 10pm tomorrow according to the airport TAF. No rain or sleet, just snow.

Just rain for Cork, Shannon and even Knock.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a few light showers on meath coastline, not sure they will make it as far as Dunshaughlin, they look very light.

Eastern UK now has a peppering of snow showers.

Gonzo wrote: »
    a few light showers on meath coastline, not sure they will make it as far as Dunshaughlin, they look very light.

Eastern UK now has a peppering of snow showers.

The -8 c 850 hpa isotherm will be nearing the east coast in the next few hours so undoubtedly the showers will be picking up a more wintry flavor and coastal temperatures will slip further.

I think snow showers are likely early tomorrow morning but very hit and miss...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Sligo / Leitrim / Donegal could get a good bit of snow early Tues morning in the colder post frontal air, perhaps more then the front produces elsewhere if under a shower train ( maybe Kerry too ! , would love the young fella to witness the first snow that he can remember :) ).

tempresult_goj0.gif

tempresult_vbk2.gif

tempresult_yfp0.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Straight snow forecast for DUB from 10pm tomorrow according to the airport TAF. No rain or sleet, just snow.

Just rain for Cork, Shannon and even Knock.
    -SN for DUB, but still! Hard to get a handle on expected precipitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,083 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

2317 met update

Monday morning will be dry, cold and frosty with icy patches. Frost and any mist or fog will gradually clear. In the afternoon, rain will develop in the west. It will spread eastwards through the evening and early night, turning to sleet and snow over much of the midlands and the eastern half of the country

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Windy in the airmass after the front goes through on Monday giving one heck of a windchill.

tempresult_kjl3.gif

tempresult_vvx0.gif

tempresult_mkb1.gif

tempresult_mrq1.gif

GFS progging heavy snow showers on Tuesday night for Ulster, Leinster and North Connaught.

51-574UK.GIF?04-18

For tomorrow night GFS is messy though and easily the least optimistic model with a messy mix of rain and snow generally.

Still, best to stick with the short range high resolution models.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Windy in the airmass after the front goes through on Monday giving one heck of a windchill.

Joanna mentioned chances of drifting snow because of the wind on the 9.30pm forecast, not that drifts will amount to much from a few cm but might make things a bit more interesting

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

ME warning updated:

Snow-ice Warning for Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan, Leitrim, East Cork, Tipperary and Waterford.

This evening and tonight, falls of snow will give accumulations of 0 to 3 cm leading to hazardous conditions on roads and footpaths.

Issued:Monday 05 February 2018 05:00
    Valid:Monday 05 February 2018 18:00 to Tuesday 06 February 2018 04:00

Advertisement