Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Snow & Ice Possible Thursday 8th / Friday 9th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭highdef

DOCARCH wrote: »
    ME warning updated:

This evening and tonight, falls of snow will give accumulations of 0 to 3 cm leading to hazardous conditions on roads and footpaths.

I find it hilarious about how our state forecaster can regard 0cm (ie: nothing) to be considered an accumulation of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,385 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

This thread needs a title change if this is going to be the place for discussing the possible snowfall event tonight. I would suggest adding "and potential 2 to 5 cm snowfalls Monday night" or something along those lines, then it could be removed by Tuesday morning to allow the thread to maintain its cold weather focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Gerry Murphy on 0755am weather said sleet and snow tonight, especially over the East coast. He also mentioned the West and North getting snow showers behind the first front.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

highdef wrote: »
    I find it hilarious about how our state forecaster can regard 0cm (ie: nothing) to be considered an accumulation of snow.

0cm accumulations could be correct for some looking at latest sat images! :pac:

https://en.sat24.com/en/eu/infraPolair

Looks like a very weak affair (the front)....will it even make it to the east coast?

Time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Grand morning in Galway. No frost. 4C and calm at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Hirlam looks good this morning (and from an imby perspective has this as snow from pretty far west onwards and all the way to the south coast....)

..hirlamuk-1-21-0.png?05-04

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

HIRLAM definitely the best this AM as slows front in eastern areas, giving 5-6hrs of snow!

11pm

hirlamuk-1-22-0.png?05-04

4am

hirlamuk-1-27-0.png?05-05

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

HIRLAM definitely the best this AM as slows front in eastern areas, giving 5-6hrs of snow!

Do Met Eireann use this model as well as harmonie?

Do Met Eireann use this model as well as harmonie?

Yes- HIRLAM is showing 4 to 5mm of liquid from the front tonight in the east.

• Advertisement

EC 3-4mm and Harmonie the lowest with just 1-3mm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Currently cloudy and cold in Arklow with a light NE Breeze
    Frost on the ground still

https://twitter.com/arklowweather/status/960441624558960640

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

I would be a novice with all the weather terminology, I've learned a lot from reading post's here.
    And I'm grateful to have access to such knowelege.

Anyhow I can't see how Clare won't get a pasting like the rest of the country.

Will it fly over us and then settle eastwards,or will it fall here too, I know it is what it is but I'd love some shnow
    Im in north Clare in the evening and east Clare during the day.....

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

In D17 and there was a few flakes,well about 10 that fell as i was walking into the industrial estate :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I would be a novice with all the weather terminology, I've learned a lot from reading post's here.

Will it fly over us and then settle eastwards,or will it fall here too, I know it is what it is but I'd love some shnow

It will fall as rain in the west but as it comes up against colder air embedded in the east it will turn to snow East Clare has a small chance of white gold.....

The front arrives as rain,it needs to pass over enough cold air to turn to snow which it won’t have in Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The problem for Clare and probably my part of north Cork is that the front bring the rain will have warmer uppers and the colder air in the east will not have spread far enough west.

That's why the eastern half of the country is expected to get snow.

Continental air finally feeding into Howth as dewpoints go negative.,,,,,, 3.3/-0.7

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

ICON 6z model run has pushed the transition to snow back westward somewhat

iconeu_uk1-1-14-0.png?05-09

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I don't like that deck of stratocumulus over the country. It's pretty dank here in the east at least and dewpoints are still on the high side. We need the cloud to shift later if it's to cool enough at lowest levels after dark. If it doesn't then I'd wonder about exactly how much snow we'll get.

• Advertisement

GFS is finally coming around...

18-574UK.GIF?05-6

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

GFS is finally coming around...

18-574UK.GIF?05-6

Thats a decent snowfall for many

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

Just saw sky news weather and on their graphics was mainly rain over the east with snow for wicklow mountains and high ground. Not very confident of seeing any snow tonight. But Ill be sitting by my window with a few irish coffees from 10pm just incase ðŸ˜႒

I know everyone is focused on tonight but tomorrow night looks interesting with a more long group of snow showers moving down through Ulster and Leinster in particular...

39-574UK.GIF?05-6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

The weather warning is until 4am for us in Cavan
    Does that mean temps are due rise and thaw some what before 9am.

Can we expect lying snow tommorw

Continental air finally feeding into Howth as dewpoints go negative.,,,,,, 3.3/-0.7

Temp has risen in Arklow
    Now 3.4c
    But the dew point has fallen by the same amount now -2.7c
    Cloudy throughout in an ENE breeze
    Wet bulb also up at 1.1c

Had the Hirlam -10 850 air aloft here at 10am ?
    That doesn’t look to be the case
    You’d be expecting air temps to be a bit lower
    Although there is s marine layer coming in I suppose

Twitter is blocking my weather station tweets as spam now :rolleyes:

piplip87 wrote: »
    The weather warning is until 4am for us in Cavan
    Does that mean temps are due rise and thaw some what before 9am.

Can we expect lying snow tommorw

There will more than likely be some thawing but snow could be on the ground for most of the day (if not throughout) in the eastern half of the country.

33-580UK.GIF?05-6

Chance of replenishment tomorrow night too.

Latest BBC News 24 graphics must be based on the EURO 4 which would leave a lot of people disappointed

3ca27855ded3d17cdac0c199e7887613.jpg

4b0e16566f0142b5ea464e550c3f9221.jpg

2635c79f86b12499ca8fe5d41f73aefe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭pauldry

bbc never handles snow in this country well

The only time ive seen them show snow widespread here was the december event

other times they showed a mix of snow and rain there was still lying snow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

We are now at the most westerly extent of the cold airmass from the east. From now on it will stall and then retreat back eastwards during the afternoon. Still need that cloud deck to shift later or else.

Here is a selectable chart of current wet-bulb observations. Change the time during the day to get the latest. We need it at 0.5 or below later to be fairly guaranteed of snow. A rise in dewpoint or temperature rises the wbt, and vice versa. The wbt is around 30-40% of the way between the dry bulb temperature and dewpoint.

https://weather.us/observations/great-britain/wet-bulb-temperature/20180205-0900z.html

I'm a little less enthusiastic about tonight than I was yesterday, given this cloud layer and current readings.

Advertisement