Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Snow & Ice Possible Thursday 8th / Friday 9th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Batman sign just northwest of Ireland.

nmm_uk1-1-36-0.png?04-06

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

ME update now:
    Rain will extend eastwards to all parts on Monday night, turning to sleet and snow, with snow depositions likely over the midlands, north and east. Minimum temperatures of minus 2 to plus 2 degrees Celsius, but less cold in the west before midnight. Light to moderate south to southwest breezes veering northwest and freshening as the rain and snow clears.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Snow "deposits", not "depositions". Are they giving a deposition on snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

Only on that with a southwesterly component, all the while :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The Met Eireann forecast from this morning can just be binned with regards Monday night into Tuesday. All the models are showing a snow event for at least the Eastern half of the country. Met Eireann will issue warnings later today I feel. In Waterford City I see maybe 5cm it not more.

www.waterfordweather.com

I wouldn't be tempting fate what with past history of Atlantic fronts. Waterford will be cold enough but what amounts of precipitation will reach there? Cork as ever too far west unless in heavier precipitation it turns to snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭tiegan

There will be more than "depositions" if these "deposits" do not materialise. Have been waiting all winter for a thread like this. I work nights outside, soooo looking forward to Monday night in South Tipp :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

850 temp evolution over the last 36hrs:

kol.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Athlone Gardaí investigating the sudden disappearance of Frosty the snowman have called in experts from Met Eireann. Locals suspect his disappearance is connected to the influx of dirty slush along the roads around the Midlands. :D

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,866 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I feel the Farming Forecast will be a s**t or get off the pot moment for Met É, whatever about us snow bunnies, the farmers do actually need fair warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Euro4 not very inspiring
    18020606_0406.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

I wouldn't be tempting fate what with past history of Atlantic fronts. Waterford will be cold enough but what amounts of precipitation will reach there? Cork as ever too far west unless in heavier precipitation it turns to snow.

The trend of late is for these fronts to pep up rather than die away. Also the fact it’s hitting colder air could intensify precipitation. I’m confident of a covering here Tuesday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Also the fact it’s hitting colder air could intensify precipitation. I’m confident of a covering here Tuesday morning.

Cold air is more likely to have a stabilizing affect on an approaching front. Fronts are more likely to become more active when approaching warmer, moister air ahead of it.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭arctictree

If I was a farmer in roundwood somewhere lambing sheep and found myself in a white out overnight Monday I’d be very mad if I was relying on the 755am Sunday forecast if it was all I had time to listen to
    They could of course be right

We are supposed to be putting up a temporary lambing shelter tomorrow. You can be sure we will be postponing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭pad199207

Warning up now. Hardly inspiring

STATUS YELLOW

Snow-ice Warning for Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Leitrim, Roscommon, Sligo, Tipperary and Waterford
    Falls of snow from Monday evening, with accumulations totalling up to 3cm possible in some areas, leading to treacherous road conditions by Tuesday morning.

Issued:Sunday 04 February 2018 12:00
    Valid:Monday 05 February 2018 18:00 to Tuesday 06 February 2018 06:00

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I'm still new to the technical side of weather and learning as i go, but would i be right in saying that the east coast could be at a standstill on Tuesday morning ? Dublin in particular if it gets hit ?
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Harmonie clearly showing something we can't see. About time it was made publically accessible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Cold air is more likely to have a stabilizing affect on an approaching front. Fronts are more likely to become more active when approaching warmer, moister air ahead of it.

Pardon the pun,but there are literally oceans of examples too of the opposite not least the example Syran posted last night so the jury is firmly out on that one
    We also have Mt’s view that there should be more than enough moisture in the front to give 2 to 5cms widely
    I’d imagine the angle of the approach of the front coming into Waterford city (hills to the west and northwest will further aid the process there if you get me?

I'm still new to the technical side of weather and learning as i go, but would i be right in saying that the east coast could be at a standstill on Tuesday morning ? Dublin in particular if it gets hit ?
    Thanks in advance

Yes roads into Dublin *if* they get hit
    2 to 5cms is more than enough in Ireland to cause road problems
    If the front stalls,even more problems
    But let’s see
    This snow game is a dark art

• Registered Users Posts: 23,292 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

pad199207 wrote: »

STATUS YELLOW

Snow-ice Warning for Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Leitrim, Roscommon, Sligo, Tipperary and Waterford
    Falls of snow from Monday evening, with accumulations totalling up to 3cm possible in some areas, leading to treacherous road conditions by Tuesday morning.

Always pleasantly suprised when Galway avoids being part of the warning!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Thanks in advance

Yes roads into Dublin *if* they get hit
    2 to 5cms is more than enough in Ireland to cause road problems
    If the front stalls,even more problems
    But let’s see
    This snow game is a dark art
    Thanks, quickly learning that it's a real game of chance and a real in the moment event

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

pad199207 wrote: »

STATUS YELLOW

Inspiring? That forecast us enough to fxk my routine and plans from Tuesday morning onwards. If the forecast gets worse then it's not going to pretty with regard to work and travel around here ...

Will someone maybe update the thread title to show update thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Ridiculous that they choose to name and leave out counties. Sure Cork particularly North Cork is at the same risk as places like Waterford....

Starting to lose their credibility for me

Ridiculous that they choose to name and leave out counties. Sure Cork particularly North Cork is at the same risk as places like Waterford....

Starting to lose their credibility for me

Don't be mad because they don't forecast snow in your backyard! Would you rather have it forecasted and none come?

I assume they have a discussion about where warrants a warning and where doesn't. They can be upgraded in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Very Benign farming forecast.

Failed to even mention their snow/ice warning.

She said a warning might issued. Face palm*

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Don't be mad because they don't forecast snow in your backyard! Would you rather have it forecasted and none come?

I assume they have a discussion about where warrants a warning and where doesn't. They can be upgraded in future.

Joanna just now wasn’t aware a warning was issued
    Also if I was a hill farmer in Wicklow relying on what I just watched ,I wouldn’t expect my sheep or cattle out to need extra hay..
    No mention of totals at all

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Looks like Friday could deliver some snow . Obviously for now take it with a pinch of salt and focus on tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

I don't expect much anywhere on Monday night...3cm is nothing...a dusting at best...we had that in Dublin 15 a couple of weeks ago.

As per usual the North midlands around Cavan and Monaghan will get the worst of it together with Dublin/Wicklow mountains and other high altitude areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Very Benign farming forecast.

Failed to even mention their snow/ice warning.

She said a warning might issued. Face palm*

Might be because that forecast is prerecorded earlier?

Might be because that forecast is prerecorded earlier?

Have seen the same happen with Ophelia, red warning issued but no mention of it on the weather Bulletin a half hour later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The nice high res WRF model is starting to come in range of the main event, the 4pm update should show more of it, but I wanted to post this anyway, looks like from now until it does hit, there's plenty of potential for little bits of ninja snow here and there:

tempresult_gac9.gif

Advertisement