Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heavy rainfall alert: Fri 11th - Mon 14th Sept

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Mackdublin

Any reports from North Clare area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭barry181091

Damn, I was expecting a nice big storm :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

leahyl wrote: »
    Looks to be extremely slow moving? Looking at the short range forecast on met.ie anyway

It is. The front currently lying off the west coast is being prevented from making its more usual quick exit eastwards by a strong anticyclone to the east. When such as set up exists, you can get waves forming along the front which more or less 'stagnate' it over a region for many hours.

361951.PNG

One such wave is forecast to develop later this afternoon and it is this that could bring the heaviest spell of rain as it pushes north up over the country this eve. Will really be a nowcast situation if it does develop I think.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

'Rain will become heavy and widespread in the afternoon' RTE weather after 10 o'clock news! Have they bothered to look at the rainfall radar? Half of the country have had heavy and widespread rain for the past 12+ hours http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

RoisinD wrote: »
    'Rain will become heavy and widespread in the afternoon' RTE weather after 10 o'clock news! Have they bothered to look at the rainfall radar? Half of the country have had heavy and widespread rain for the past 12+ hours http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp
    They are broadcasting to a Dublin audience :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

Mackdublin wrote: »
    Any reports from North Clare area?

I replied to you above. Have been out locally and there is a lot of surface water on the roads and it is still bucketing down. As I said before it depends what roads you are traveling on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

East Waterford - dull but dry bar the odd spit. That said the radar suggests it'll be here any minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Mackdublin

RoisinD wrote: »
    I replied to you above. Have been out locally and there is a lot of surface water on the roads and it is still bucketing down. As I said before it depends what roads you are traveling on.

Thanks Roisin.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Tralee: 28mm since midnight, 52mm event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

For the east coasters the Dublin Airport TAF is forecasting rain starting somewhere around 14:00 - 16:00 but with a lot of uncertainty about the specifics, basically a nowcast event here.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

I have recorded 22.17 mm of rain at my location in Galway since 11 PM last night and it's still raining

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Torrential rain in Tralee.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

still feeling warm and sunny, 16C, hopefully the rain will stay clear for another few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Aerohead wrote: »
    I have recorded 22.17 mm of rain at my location in Galway since 11 PM last night and it's still raining

Looking like we've another 12 hours of it to come. Thoroughly miserable day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Dry in Cork now - at least it was when I looked out the window about 15 mins ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Getting heavier in Galway city - Rainfall Rate 17.6 mm/hr
    21.6mm recorded since midnight; 22.4mm event

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

I'm expecting rain in Arklow in the next hour or two
    Currently dusty dry
    Last bit of milky suns gone in though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

A big increase in rainfall totals for far western parts on the Euro4. Up to 162mm shown here, in addition to the rain before 6am this morning.

4kpLGJg.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Its been raining steadily here for about 12hrs but nothing especially heavy. Im sure by the time its over it will still add up to a big rainfall total though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Its wet in Castlebar since around 11pm last night, nothing to heavy, but persistent all the same, main roads all fine, but traffic is seriously heavy around town. poor visibility also. 14 degrees. 1007.

Tralee: 36mm since midnight , 60mm event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Been a long time since i saw anything like that on the 3 hour forecast http://www.met.ie/forecasts/3hour.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

How long do you think till it reaches North West Wicklow? I left the clothes on the line, I won't be home until 3.15pm :eek::eek::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

East Waterford - dull but dry bar the odd spit. That said the radar suggests it'll be here any minute.

Any minute now ☺don't know how we're avoiding it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Interesting how the EURO4 winds up a very tight circulation.

Creates a squeeze in the isobars and swathe of very high winds tomorrow morning.

One to watch.

15091206_1106.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

Still some hazy sunshine here in Dundalk with some patches of blue sky visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

1.2mm is all we got so far in north east Kilkenny.

Small 5 min burst in Arklow about 10 mins ago
    Now dry
    Nonetheless the event is closing in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭lolie

Not a drop here yet, getting very close on the radar. Mowed the lawn in the dark yesterday evening thinking it would be wet by now.
    Funny how the sky is a lot darker to the east and the rain is just west of here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭luimneachboy

All new to this weather forum but can anyone advise when or if west limerick will see the heaviest rainfall? Thanks

RobertKK wrote: »
    1.2mm is all we got so far in north east Kilkenny.

Aye, you're in a sector with a hole in the precip
    But not for long
    See attached

Currently light rain here with some micro bursts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Dry here Waterford City, slowest front ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Rightly chucking it down in Cork City now - it has arrived!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The Arpege model (french high res) also drives a swathe of intense winds across central and western Ireland

arpegeuk-11-26-0.png

arpegeuk-11-30-0.png?11-11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,585 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I have revised the thread title to indicate two concerns -- one, the current event rainfall will clearly exceed 100 mm in parts of the inland to coastal west and two, a further interval of 20-40 mm rainfall can be expected in mostly the same regions on Sunday mid-day to and Monday morning.

While I believe that a level 2 status is probably best for the majority of readers (and level 1 can be inferred for much of Leinster and Ulster), please note that some parts of west Munster and Connacht will probably reach level 3 conditions. Runoff from some areas of very heavy rainfall could reach beyond the zones of 100 mm+ into the 70-100 mm zone, so don't necessarily judge your local risk from your local rainfall totals, factor in rainfalls upstream in your drainage area.

If anything, the total rainfall through the entire period in east coast counties will be similar to earlier expectations or (in a few parts of east Ulster) a bit lower than earlier projected.

This has led to the following updated map of expected total rainfall which includes amounts already received in the west.

361985.jpg

There was some discussion about gradients for strong winds following the Saturday low's departure but it appears to me that peak winds would be in the range of 40-70 km/hr (west to northwest on west coast) and not very prolonged before a return to moderate southeast to east ahead of the Monday low.

Not surprising after so much persistent rain over the southwest.
    There’s been a landslide on the road in the Lisardboula area, one mile outside Castlemaine on the Tralee side. As part of the landslide, a tree has come down and is blocking the road. Gardaí are at the scene and Kerry County Council is en route to clear the road. The road will be closed for the next hour.

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/road-outside-castlemaine-blocked-due-to-landslide-and-fallen-tree/

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Persistently heavy for the last 3 hours in South East Kerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Will the Rebel Tour cycling event (Beara peninsula) be a washout tomorrow ? (starting at 9am) :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just started here in Bray.

... and stopped again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Rain starting in Mullingar.

44mm since midnight , 67mm event

Heard bad flood on dingle road just outside Tralee from mountain water, local woman told me she never saw a flood like it there before , cars getting through one at a time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

My father just commented that he hasn't seen rain like this since Hurricane Charley struck in 1986. The heavens have opened here in Kerry and the rivers will burst their banks if this continues for much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

It just started raining in Dublin City centre.

Stinicker wrote: »
    My father just commented that he hasn't seen rain like this since Hurricane Charley struck in 1986. The heavens have opened here in Kerry and the rivers will burst their banks if this continues for much longer.

At least another few hours for the far southwest anyway, there may be a bit of a clearance or at least an easing after that as the rain shifts more eastwards.

Looks like it's gotten a bit more intense around Kenmare and Sneem in the past half hour or so.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Non-stop here in sth Limerick since the early hours, should hopefully be collecting in my upturned 7-up bottle :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

just about hanging on to the dry weather, farmer in the field beside us cant get the combine to go fast enough

Edit: Started Raining

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Not much more than a continuous light rain here so far with the heavier stuff staying to the west.

Wave depression moving into the SW now might stir things a up a bit later.

361993.png

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭weisses

Finally some lighter skies here in the far southwest ... Rained for 20 hours straight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

misty rain in Athlone for the past 6 hours. Good drop of water but at the moment, nothing more unusual than a standard winters day.... for now.

Worried about them winds forecast for tomorrow though. Meant to be playing in the Galway Senior Scratch cup in the morning. Will the course even be open after all that rain ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement