Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭deezell

Vicxas wrote: »
    If you're trying to challenge the OMSRP from Revenue with some examples but theres no comparable model in Ireland for sale, whats the plan? Or do you just have to accept their valuation?

If you can obtain the full new retail prices for variants of a model, these will give the percentage price difference across the model range, and this can be used to estimate the price new at the time of sale of the variant you want to import. This becomes the new omsp. It becomes difficult if UK variants and variant names are completely different than here, as in the case of MB A class discussed here recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,403 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

deezell wrote: »
    If you can obtain the full new retail prices for variants of a model, these will give the percentage price difference across the model range, and this can be used to estimate the price new at the time of sale of the variant you want to import. This becomes the new omsp. It becomes difficult if UK variants and variant names are completely different than here, as in the case of MB A class discussed here recently.

Thanks,

An example i have is the Volvo S90 i'm looking at, its a D5 R-Design Pro but theres only 1 D5 in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I cant get an appointment at my NCT centre to pay my VRT until after the 30 days has elapsed. Surely I wont be penalised but id like to be able to somehow prove that no appointment was available.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

An example i have is the Volvo S90 i'm looking at, its a D5 R-Design Pro but theres only 1 D5 in Ireland

Go on the Volvo site, select s90 R- design, add any bits that the pro has extra, and get your price. Thats the OMSP before depreciation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭wassie

Hogzy wrote: »
    I cant get an appointment at my NCT centre to pay my VRT until after the 30 days has elapsed. Surely I wont be penalised but id like to be able to somehow prove that no appointment was available. Any suggestions?

Try calling them and see if availability at any other centres - be flexible to travel a bit.

Otherwise pay the VRT then appeal on the grounds you weren't able to make an appointment - this assumes you haven't left it to the last minute to make the appointment, in which case an appeal may not be looked upon favourably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

wassie wrote: »
    Try calling them and see if availability at any other centres - be flexible to travel a bit.

Otherwise pay the VRT then appeal on the grounds you weren't able to make an appointment - this assumes you haven't left it to the last minute to make the appointment, in which case an appeal may not be looked upon favorably.

Car is in Ireland since yesterday morning. I might just call but their hours seem all over the shop. I am based in Dublin so I'll travel within reason but to be honest I wont be travelling an unreasonable amount to have to fork out a sizeable chunk of money to pay this tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭marcos_94

I know this has been asked before but I cant find the original thread. On the V5 document, what does the seller have to fill out? Also, am I right in saying the I keep the full V5 document? Its looking like I will be using a transport company and the seller (private) hasnt being involved in an export before so want to find out the steps required for the V5 document

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,992 ✭✭✭User1998

The seller should fill out the permanent export slip and send it to DVLA and give you the rest of the logbook, particularly the first page. If the seller is unsure then show them this:

https://www.gov.uk/taking-vehicles-out-of-uk

User1998 wrote: »
    The seller should fill out the permanent export slip and send it to DVLA and give you the rest of the logbook, particularly the first page. If the seller is unsure then show them this:

https://www.gov.uk/taking-vehicles-out-of-uk

thats exactly the info I was looking for! Any time I googled it I got third party sources of info that didnt go into detail. Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭DavidAdam

It appears to be very difficult to get the a car transport company to bring a car from London to Dublin at present. I have tried loads of them but they are all too busy. A number of them told me they would, took the details but I have never heard from them again. Any ideas here.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Did you try shiply.com ? My brother booked via Shiply, he got plenty of quotes, he picked the cheapest & with the best no. Of reviews. His mpv was picked up from dealer in North London & dropped to Kildare address. 490eur.
    His dates were flexible. This was 1 month ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

peaceboi wrote: »
    Did you try shiply.com ? My brother booked via Shiply, he got plenty of quotes, he picked the cheapest & with the best no. Of reviews. His mpv was picked up from dealer in North London & dropped to Kildare address. 490eur.
    His dates were flexible. This was 1 month ago.

Had he inspected or test drove the car? Or did he just get an AA inspection over there, and get it shipped? Presuming the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

Have a quick (potentially stupid!) question on buying a UK import from an Irish dealer.

Is it a red flag if the car is a UK import, but this is not mentioned on the online ad?

Viewed a car the other day and there was no mention of it being a UK import on the ad. Then when I turned on the car, noticed the speedometer was in miles and asked the dealer if it was UK import - it was. He showed me service history etc but just curious if it's a red flag from the dealer that this wasn't mentioned to me upfront/on the ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Goose76 wrote: »
    Have a quick (potentially stupid!) question on buying a UK import from an Irish dealer.

Is it a red flag if the car is a UK import, but this is not mentioned on the online ad?

Viewed a car the other day and there was no mention of it being a UK import on the ad. Then when I turned on the car, noticed the speedometer was in miles and asked the dealer if it was UK import - it was. He showed me service history etc but just curious if it's a red flag from the dealer that this wasn't mentioned to me upfront/on the ad.

Nope, not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭SummerK

DavidAdam wrote: »
    It appears to be very difficult to get the a car transport company to bring a car from London to Dublin at present. I have tried loads of them but they are all too busy. A number of them told me they would, took the details but I have never heard from them again. Any ideas here.

I have used services of val mckenna last month to bring my 530e and highly recommend him. He is on shiply and have very good reviews. You can reach him on 087299 6127.

• Advertisement

Goose76 wrote: »

I assume it already has an Irish reg. Only thing to watch is if the dealer tries to pass off miles on the odometer as km. Older imports may not have a setting to change, and there will be nothing on the odometer to indicate it is miles. A few years ago a dealer tried to flog me an old Volvo s40 with he said only 110k km, but the car was an import, odometer was in miles, but it's NCT was in km in error, so check NCT.

I’m moving ahead with purchasing a car from the uk after having had it inspected today. I was hoping to have it transported later this week but have been thrown a bit of a spanner. The car is on a private reg and the seller wants to keep it. Processing time is 2 weeks. Is there any way around this or any way to speed the process up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Have a car i want to buy but it's up near Sunderland.
    They are not tripping over themselves to quote on Shiply.

One guy reckons that cars are being held in Holyhead for 24 hours - any one brought one in in last week or two

One guy reckons that cars are being held in Holyhead for 24 hours - any one brought one in in last week or two

Coincidentally the car im buying is in Sunderland as well. I got a quote from Eirtrans for 450 plus VAT. I tried Shiply as well but never got a quote from there. I havent heard of any cards being held up

marcos_94 wrote: »
    Coincidentally the car im buying is in Sunderland as well. I got a quote from Eirtrans for 450 plus VAT. I tried Shiply as well but never got a quote from there. I havent heard of any cards being held up

Deadly thanks
    You ring or email them?
    That'd do me fine.
    Shiply probably more for the handy ones, London, Birmingham, Liverpool and the auctions.

• Advertisement

Deadly thanks
    You ring or email them?
    That'd do me fine.
    Shiply probably more for the handy ones, London, Birmingham, Liverpool and the auctions.

I just sent them an email with the postcode location of the car and my postcode. Probably can do the same through a call. They also told me it would be about 10 days between confirming the transport and car arriving (didnt say if it was working days or not). Not sure of the process of confirming it and whatnot as im moving forward with alternative transport through a friend

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

I'm sure this has been answered already but if I travel to the UK for a car, what's the best way to pay for it?

I don't fancy travelling with a huge amount of cash, so what are the options?

How do people normally do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Pay with your debit card. Assuming it’s a garage

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Pay with your debit card. Assuming it’s a garage

My debitncars has a daily limit of 2,500 and apparently that can't be removed, even if its

My debitncars has a daily limit of 2,500 and apparently that can't be removed, even if its

Don't try and use a useless Irish bank debt card, sign up to Revolut, move your cash into it, exchage to £, and pay for the car in one transaction like a fill of petrol, usung the card machine. You can also do a direct transfer to the dealers bank ìaccount if he doesn't like paying debit card fees, takes 10-15 minutes to appear.
    The alternative is to lodge your € with a company like Transfermate, then a phone call to them will push the money to the dealers account once you're happy with the horse

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Tiger72

Tiger72 wrote: »
    Right i hope alot of people will read this an advise me :
    So i bought a car in late February it came into the country in a transporter so there is no record of it coming into the port . There was no V5 with it and it had to be applied for ( All Legit i have a receipt or it ). I got a friend in the UK to apply for the V5 which he did in Mid March but with the Lockdown in the UK the DVLA were only dealing with front line workers so even though this normally takes six weeks it went on and on and on - and to be honest i thought it would be the end of the year before ide see it .
    Anyway it arrived last week so now i can actually VRT it .I only started driving it last Friday because of this and did not want to because i couldnt be dealing with Guards asking awkward questions -
    'You have it since last February - why did you not VRT it ' ??????
    ' You only have it with two days ?? why arn't you self isolating '??????
    Couldnt be dealing with that .
    So what are my options i don't want to pay any fine , its a car with a value of €30,000 and a VRT bill of €5,000 + Nox. Can i tell them i brought in through the North from Scotland ?? I bought it off Arthur Daly in the North ? here's the receipt .Also the date on the V5 of new owner is 20th June and on the first page 'Acquired vehicle 24th Febuary' .
    Wont work - they require paperwork for when it entered the state ....
    Just some more information the car entered the state on the 02 Mar 2020
    I have it booked in for Wed 29th July .... ill let ye know how i get on :)

So Im living in Cork but could not get a date in Blarney before end of July but was going on holiday to Westport Mayo so i got an appointment there no problem . He asked for a shipping receipt and i told him there was none as it was brought in from Scotland to Northern Ireland and there was no record of it coming into the country-i never mentioned that Revenue would not impose any fines up to the end of July , so he then said ok , go to the car and he would see me there to check the chassis no.
    I was waiting a good 20 minutes outside - now did he ring revenue and say it to them ??? i dont know ... but anyway all was fine a part from the €5197 bill !!!! .
    Now starts the long road of appealing that

Don't try and use a useless Irish bank debt card, sign up to Revolut, move your cash into it, exchage to £, and pay for the car in one transaction like a fill of petrol, usung the card machine. You can also do a direct transfer to the dealers bank ìaccount if he doesn't like paying debit card fees, takes 10-15 minutes to appear.
    The alternative is to lodge your € with a company like Transfermate, then a phone call to them will push the money to the dealers account once you're happy with the horse

In my experience I used a visa debit and the difference between it and Revolut was marginal.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Is there limit for daily use, when using visa debit card? Revolut doesn't have limit I believe.

Have actually ended up buying in the north.
    Got same value as England after waiting few weeks.
    I'm sure you all know this but UsedcarsNI far superior for the north.

1 car in filters on autrader
    30 on UsedcarsNI

I was flat out on autotrader....

... but anyway all was fine a part from the €5197 bill !!!! .
    Now starts the long road of appealing that

Why are you appealing? You said VRT was 5k plus Nox. I wouldn't be making a song or dance about it you've told a porky about date of entry and got away with it. 5k small vrt on a 30k car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,403 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Quick question if you send a truck to get the car from the UK, does the dealer hand over the V5 to the man in the truck to bring back to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's been discussed to death in this thread, you cannot register the car over here without the full V5c. Do not buy the car without it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Quick question if you send a truck to get the car from the UK, does the dealer hand over the V5 to the man in the truck to bring back to you?

Yes, you need to make sure the garage and the driver understand that you have to have it. There have been cases of the truck returning with no V5C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Why are you appealing? You said VRT was 5k plus Nox. I wouldn't be making a song or dance about it you've told a porky about date of entry and got away with it. 5k small vrt on a 30k car.

Deezell is right. I wouldn't be bringing any attention to this.

My car is arriving on Friday from the UK so going about booking a VRT appointment. i have heard that VRT for cars not on the VRT site can be better (ie cheaper) in centres outside of Dublin from someone in the trade who has had to use centres outside of Dublin recently. Is there any truth to this?

Old wive's tail or ****e talk I'd say. What base of comparison have they, it's not as if you can go to multiple VRT appointments with the same car until they give a cheaper figure that you like.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Old wive's tail or ****e talk I'd say. What base of comparison have they, it's not as if you can go to multiple VRT appointments with the same car until they give a cheaper figure that you like.

They bring in a few of the same cars (think 520ds etc). i was surprised to hear it too but just wanted to ask. Any saving on VRT is a win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Hi guys,

I will be picking up a car up north during the week, and I managed to grab a VRT appointment for coming Sunday up in Dundalk.
    Is it possible to have the assessment on Sunday but not pay, and if so, must you go back to Dundalk and pay or can you go to more local NCT/VRT locations to pay (and if so do you need an appointment to pay?)#

Cheers for the help!
    Jim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,992 ✭✭✭User1998

You don’t need to pay on the day and you don’t need to make an appointment to pay either, I’d say you can pay in any centre but I’m not sure as I’ve only ever been to one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

My car is arriving on Friday from the UK so going about booking a VRT appointment. i have heard that VRT for cars not on the VRT site can be better (ie cheaper) in centres outside of Dublin from someone in the trade who has had to use centres outside of Dublin recently. Is there any truth to this?

Haha

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Was delivery expensive?

6 wrote: »
    Was delivery expensive?

Got a quote from Eirtrans for €450 +VAT for transport from Sunderland to my house in doubling. Iv home a different route for getting the car delivered through a friend

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Is there any benefit/ advantage to buying a car from mainland UK rather than up north except cost?

Bigger choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,434 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

lostcat wrote: »
    Is there any benefit/ advantage to buying a car from mainland UK rather than up north except cost?

If you were buying a diesel I'd not buy up North for fear of washed diesel damage but that may be a thing of the past now. For UK you probably need to factor in an additional €300-€500 for the cost of getting yourself over to view the car and then bring back via a ferry but this will generally be saved on the larger range of cars at a more competitive price than up North.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

but theres only 1 D5 in Ireland

Who told you that porky pie? I personally know of 4, one of which is sitting in my driveway.

lostcat wrote: »

Having just bought in the north rather than mainland

I did so as the car i bought comes with 6 month warrantee and I only live 1 hour 20 from them

Cars in England were a bit cheaper. There can be more choice over there

One massive factor for me was the ease of getting there and back.
    Also as above the warranty would have been a lot more straightford if something went wrong.

The car I got was a uk mainland car being sold in NI - as a lot of them seem to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

colm_mcm wrote: »
    One massive factor for me was the ease of getting there and back.
    Also as above the warranty would have been a lot more straightford if something went wrong.

The car I got was a uk mainland car being sold in NI - as a lot of them seem to be.
    Getting there and back was simple enough before COVID-19 to be fair, I loved the journey over, myself and my dad flew into Liverpool, taxi to dealer and a lovely afternoon drive over the top of Wales to Holyhead. He's in his mid 70's and thinking back I'll really like having this memory (even if it was only a 90~ minute drive).

Warranty really depends on the age of the car and make. I bought an 191 Audi that had 1 year UK warranty left and 3 year EU warranty as standard. If you're buying near new and from a main dealership you shouldn't have too much to worry about.

There's so much more stock on the mainland UK than NI, but if you can find what you want in NI and at a reasonable price then yeh NI is the way to go

Bizzarely I wasn’t even looking at cars in NI because choice is limited. I was stuck to Autotrader for weeks looking for a particular spec/colour
    Happened to look at usedcarsNI one night and there it was - so you can be lucky.

• Advertisement
Advertisement