Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Chit-Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Choc Chip wrote: »
    that's fab molls - fair play on the progress!

On another topic: I think it was TKC that recommended miller forge nail clippers on another thread. I bought a pair just to see if they could deal with my diamond-strong GSD nails. I'm in love with them. I don't think I'll ever buy anything else. Cut through nails like butter. Thank you!!!

;)Haha yeah it was me - I got the recommendation from FB. I've been able to cut more off Bailey's nails than any other clippers but for some the Dremel is easier. No worries about quicking either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

tk123 wrote: »
    ;)Haha yeah it was me - I got the recommendation from FB. I've been able to cut more off Bailey's nails than any other clippers but for some the Dremel is easier. No worries about quicking either.

I cant stand the smell off the dremel! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Choc Chip wrote: »
    I cant stand the smell off the dremel! :o

I use a metal bit so it’s not that smelly lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

As this is my favourite forum here on boards, I thought I’d share the news!!! We have finally purchased an infill site to build our own place. I told the dogs the news before my OH! Priorities ya know?

Finally we might have some peace & quit and a purposely designed outdoors for our pooches & piggies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

em_cat wrote: »
    As this is my favourite forum here on boards, I thought I’d share the news!!! We have finally purchased an infill site to build our own place. I told the dogs the news before my OH! Priorities ya know?

Finally we might have some peace & quit and a purposely designed outdoors for our pooches & piggies :)

Will u be enjoying the joys of rural life em_cat?

• Advertisement

Will u be enjoying the joys of rural life em_cat?

Oh how I wish, but no the site is nestled behind a row of single story cottages, a row of terraced housing at the back & off street lane way with no overlooking so it’ll be super private. Hubby is an Architect so he’s beyond excited & the face on him though when I emphatically said we’re hiring a QS end of...

The prospect of getting out of the city is fantastic and literally the best thing since sliced bread :)

I’m like a kid in a sweet shop cause Ive began planning the dog friendly garden with little raised beds of digestion friendly herbs & grasses. A run of different level beds for runner beans, cherry tomatoes & different berries. Found out you can get duo patio size Elstar & James Grieves apple trees so I’ve ordered them because the dogs, piggies and I absolutely LOVE apples, especially the Elstar.

TBH I’ve been looking for nearly ten years ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Wow, building your own house, with a husband an architect - :):):):):)
    How exciting!
    Show us the plans when you have them drawn up! Nearly as good as a new puppy photo!

aonb wrote: »
    Wow, building your own house, with a husband an architect - :):):):):)
    How exciting!
    Show us the plans when you have them drawn up! Nearly as good as a new puppy photo!

Will do, I’ll build a wee model too. I now feel terrible that I’ve often mutttered that I should’ve married a builder instead of an Architect. It can be difficult at times... just trying to buy a sofa is a nightmare & the sheer disappointment when I refuse to build anything higher than single story.

I’m not Irish so I don’t suffer from the national obsession of no of bedrooms :) instead I suffer from bedroom tax syndrome being a Brit an all...

Well congratulations and best of luck. The pets will thank you for having the extra outdoor space. Will u be putting in a dog flap? It was one of my better decisions, I must say!

Well congratulations and best of luck. The pets will thank you for having the extra outdoor space. Will u be putting in a dog flap? It was one of my better decisions, I must say!

I hope to, OH not convinced though & he says it’ll make it more difficult to meet the incoming NZ regulations, however, I’m pretty sure we will. Is yours a microchip scanning one and how do you keep cats out? I don’t mind cats but OH is ridiculously terrified of them.

• Advertisement

I hope to, OH not convinced though & he says it’ll make it more difficult to meet the incoming NZ regulations, however, I’m pretty sure we will. Is yours a microchip scanning one and how do you keep cats out? I don’t mind cats but OH is ridiculously terrified of them.

No, mine is bog standard, no collar or chip required. I live in the middle of nowhere so domestic cats are not an issue. Feral cats/rodents etc have yet to figure it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

No, mine is bog standard, no collar or chip required. I live in the middle of nowhere so domestic cats are not an issue. Feral cats/rodents etc have yet to figure it out!

"My" feral, ie the neglected cat who decided here was better than there. would soon suss a cat door out, He tries everything; sneaking under another cat to get in. So far he has not succeeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

My poor Creamy had a seizure this morning for the first time :( he’s been to the vets and they’ve done bloods on him, just waiting on results. So worried about him. Can’t help but worry as they get older that something nasty might be happening, but even at 10 years old he still acts like a kitten.

My poor Creamy had a seizure this morning for the first time :( he’s been to the vets and they’ve done bloods on him, just waiting on results. So worried about him. Can’t help but worry as they get older that something nasty might be happening, but even at 10 years old he still acts like a kitten.

So sorry to hear, hope Creamy gets better soon, poor Peaches is she missing him?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,556 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm actually stunned. I can't believe I'm typing this but 24 hours ago my boxer dog was full of energy and full of life and after his walk tonight which he loved as always he couldn't stand up and was getting sick. So I called my dad(who has had boxers all his life) and asked him would he come with me to the vets. The dog had cancer(we didn't know this until we got to the vets) and there was a bleed and he wouldn't have made the morning so we decided to put him to sleep.

I actually can not ****ing believe what I've typed. I feel like I've been hit one of Mike Tyson's best.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

That's awful. So sorry for your loss. :(

So sorry to hear, hope Creamy gets better soon, poor Peaches is she missing him?

Peach didn’t really notice to be honest :pac: poor moose was awful bothered by him all day though, he saw him have the seizure and then when he came back from the vets he smelled funny so poor moo was running away from him!
    His bloods came back clear from the vets so they’re happy it’s not anything going on with his organs so we have to keep a close watch and if he has another seizure they’ll refer him for a CT scan.
    Poor bub has been limping awfully since we got home though. He wasn’t too happy about having his blood taken so I think while he was squirming he may have sprained his ankle. Hopefully it’ll come right after a day or two with some metacam because I don’t think he’ll forgive me if we go bringing him back to the vets now!

So very very sorry for this sudden loss. A terrible shock; be easy on you

I lost my dog to fairly sudden heart failure not too long ago and it takes time to get used to the suddenness.

Even though glad of less suffering..

((HUGS))
    Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I'm actually stunned. I can't believe I'm typing this but 24 hours ago my boxer dog was full of energy and full of life and after his walk tonight which he loved as always he couldn't stand up and was getting sick. So I called my dad(who has had boxers all his life) and asked him would he come with me to the vets. The dog had cancer(we didn't know this until we got to the vets) and there was a bleed and he wouldn't have made the morning so we decided to put him to sleep.

I actually can not ****ing believe what I've typed. I feel like I've been hit one of Mike Tyson's best.

"My" new cat.… I know now through careful chatting that he is indeed the appallingly neglected cat of my nearest neighbour . about five fields away.

Apparently when the weather got cold, one of mine took pity on him and invited him over. They actually arrived here together one day.

Several weeks on and he is a regular at the door. I thought at first he was shivering with cold but realised it is shaking with fear at being too near a human . He dances round me now! When I go out with his food! In very bad weather he vanishes into the old cottage where he is safe and snug.

Nothing has been said locally. Island life tends to avoid conflict. So he is free to go if he wants. He seems to prefer it here!

I have no ambition to tame or pet him. He has been wild all his life. As long as he is fed and safe I am happy. Still reviewing names for him too.

So six cats now.....:):D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Wow, shocking. To go from loving his walk to that is amazing. He must have been very strong. OP if it's any consolation, how lucky were you that your lovely dog didnt suffer at all. Having had a dog that went through cancer, you are so lucky, that you and your dog were saved that pain and heartache. The shock now is hard to deal with, being so sudden, but console yourself if you can by the fact that he didnt suffer and was happy and pain free til the end.

• Advertisement

I’m so sorry Itssoeasy. I lost my dog on 3rd October and like you, I couldn’t believe my best pal was gone so suddenly. I had 24 hours with him before I had to let him go and that helped me to come to terms with it, when I saw that he couldn’t even drink on that last night/morning, I knew I had to let him go.

My only consolation was that I did right by my pal at the end and let him go with grace and dignity, rather than putting him through untold misery by prolonging his life to meet my desperate need to hold onto him.

I hope for you that in time, you will be able to look back and be glad that he lived life to the max to the very end and his suffering was measured in minutes and hours, rather than days, weeks or months.

May your lovely boy rest in peace.

Tonto just nearly lost his head... literally.. He is so determined to get inside. This time he hid under Boycat, who is huge and longhaired and I had no idea he was there until when Boycat was in I started to close the door. WHY WON'T IT CLOSE?

:eek:

Talking to someone re the chemical castration they use for wild life overseas. Cannot have him in as he is now

He is looking sleek and well fed now, but food will always be the main thing in his life after being so badly neglected.

He is very welcome to all he needs...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Im up early today and no work to go to. Im off Christmas food shopping as soon as lidl opens to try and avoid the rush.

We’re up early as well, not the doggies though, they are fast asleep on our bed:)

Glad I’m not the only one up early with no work to go to! After doing 13 days straight I think my body hasn’t learned we’re allowed sleep past 7.30 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I'm off to do the food shop too & was up the whole night as my daughter did not sleep. :o

I get a few hours respite care this morning & am hoping Tesco won't be too crazy! It looks very dark out still

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭jellybear

I'm just back from Dunnes and it wasn't too bad at 8.30 but getting busier by 9.30. They had plenty though!
    Now I'm back in bed with baba asleep on my chest and Milo curled up under the duvet at my feet. Bliss!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I'm pooped. Today was intense.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

VonVix wrote: »
    I'm pooped. Today was intense.

Ha I know the feeling. So pooped that I to send hubby into yas to get Bea & Herms hay cause i just couldn’t bring myself to pop in. Here’s hoping everyone has a very happy Christmas and a fabulous New Years! See yas in the new year :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Ha I know the feeling. So pooped that I to send hubby into yas to get Bea & Herms hay cause i just couldn’t bring myself to pop in. Here’s hoping everyone has a very happy Christmas and a fabulous New Years! See yas in the new year :)

:D See you in the new year!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Advertisement