Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Chit-Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just in from out, and waiting for the last cat to arrive home!

I went to clean and fettle the church, and all five followed me of course. Jacob was the last as always as he is not keen on the young wans,,,

Then, it being a glorious morning, I decided to follow the lane that circles the island..ocean a shining quietude.... The three young ones followed easily ; more easily than I did that long walk! Middle aged Jacob fell behind early on so he was left to find his way home, then Boycat sat down and would come no further so I and the three young ones wandered doggedly home...

Jacob has arrived home safe so am waiting for the last one! They know the island as well as i do of course and all the short cuts . They did not know what to make of the pony and donkey who came to the fence to greet us...

Taking cats for a walk is great fun! Far too long a walk for me but there we are..The Church is shining and flower filled for the Holiday weekend

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

I have a GSDx with a bald spot! :eek:

Admittedly, I shaved it in myself to treat a hotspot, but it still looks ridiculous. It's right on top of her back so no way to hide it.

Poor dog looks daft, and now everyone can see all the grey hair that was hidden by her top coat. The shame. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

Choc Chip wrote:
    I have a GSDx with a bald spot!

Donald or Boris might have a few tan/red coloured toupees knocking around that you could put to use lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Choc Chip wrote: »
    I have a GSDx with a bald spot! :eek:

Admittedly, I shaved it in myself to treat a hotspot, but it still looks ridiculous. It's right on top of her back so no way to hide it.

Poor dog looks daft, and now everyone can see all the grey hair that was hidden by her top coat. The shame. :(

Hehehe ... sorry Choc Chip :) Esmae currently has a serious case of the puppy uglies after her coat blew, she looks like someone fed her after midnight :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Hey all.

We currently have one horse getting two more by the end of the year ( i actually asked for a kitten) one dachshund.

The dachshund is disabled. But perfectly happy.

• Advertisement

drained after events... When I walked after cleaning the church y;day, I stupidly decided to go the long way round. Not done that for at least a year and am no longer really able for it.
    The three new cats were fine, but Jacob( middle aged) piked out part way. then Boycat, at least 15, started hanging back. Unlike him.
    By that time we had passed the half way mark so I just carried on. Three instead of five cats, myself struggling.

Jacob returned briefly for food but no sign of Boycat.

That was around 6 am and late night and the small hours still no sign of my old cat . Was imagining sink holes etc...I was massively over stretched and emotional.. emailed a neighbour to keep an eye out and the bush telegraph ....

Planning to go out at first light with a cat food tin and spoon and trek to where I saw him last.. which in my current condition is mission impossible .

Finally after nearly 24 hours, Sir waltzes in . Feed me please. So I did. Totally new behaviour.. maybe he went for takeaway as he is a greedy lad , and would not go that long without food ..

Such relief. So a very quiet day here!

Lived with the idea of losing him.

Yes you lad! Creeping up the bed to be allowed under the covers, talking away...Oh I would miss this one. 15 years is a long long time

Everyone here knows him; he even goes to see one old man, so that is the safety of an island.

Our critters have no idea what they put us through

delicious afternoon sitting in the sun knittin g with Boycat alongside, or under my chair....so thankful...my cat I thought was gone...

Hoping someone can advise me here.

We have a little cavachon, around 4 months old, who just smells bad. It's just a "dog" smell but is quite strong.

Has been to the vet recently so it isn't ears or any of the other usual suspects, and vet noticed nothing wrong.

Has also been to the groomer twice and she commented on smell too, having to wash the pup twice.

Again, it's not a foul smell, just a dog smell that you can get when near you.

We use a high quality food bought from the vets but am thinking maybe a food change might be the first thing to try?

Any recommendations?

We have a little cavachon, around 4 months old, who just smells bad. It's just a "dog" smell but is quite strong.

Has been to the vet recently so it isn't ears or any of the other usual suspects, and vet noticed nothing wrong.

Has also been to the groomer twice and she commented on smell too, having to wash the pup twice.

We use a high quality food bought from the vets but am thinking maybe a food change might be the first thing to try?

Any recommendations?

Hate to say it, but it’s likely just his smell. Make sure you’re brushing him day to day to ensure his skin stays clean and the oils get distributed. It should help.

Slept through last night; a rare occurrence for me. When I opened the door, the tide came in! All five cats hungry and eager! LOVE that..

• Advertisement

Well, I think \smudgie cat is OLIVER. I was seeking a new more.. elegant name.. after all he is always asking for MORE and will steal food from anyone who is unwary, me included..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Any recommendations?

If its Royal Canin food, I would definitely proceed to changing that food - regardless of smells - Royal Canin is ridiculously over priced for a not very good quality food.

Did the vet notice an unusual smell?
    How long had it been since he had been washed before you took him to groomers? have you washed his bedding? Is the smell from his coat, not his breath or farting?!?!
    Could he be rolling in something?
    Have you sniffed his ears? Can his ears be getting into food or muck?
    Are his paws very hairy - could they be stinky?

Brushing is definitely a good start
    I would change his food to something good quality, maybe add some salmon oil to his food too - good for his coat -

How do cats know, when they are outside and doors etc closed, thatyou have just sat down to eat? One by one they scratch at the door,,, and now as I am needing up. scaredy cat is doing her limpet act, firmly wrapped round my wrist and fast asleep! Bless them all, our furry ones... for the love they give us.. back tomorrow..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My neighbours are getting their drive re-done, new tarmac and kerbing etc. There was a tractor and digger there until 9pm, and it arrived back at 7am, dogs are going nuts as the drive runs up the side of my house, and there's no front garden so they are literally passing my livingroom window, I have a headache from the barking. They have 2 toddlers, and are very nice in general, but seriously, 9pm and back at 7am?

mymo wrote: »
    My neighbours are getting their drive re-done, new tarmac and kerbing etc. There was a tractor and digger there until 9pm, and it arrived back at 7am, dogs are going nuts as the drive runs up the side of my house, and there's no front garden so they are literally passing my livingroom window, I have a headache from the barking. They have 2 toddlers, and are very nice in general, but seriously, 9pm and back at 7am?
    #

Aching with you. Reminds me of the time my farmer landlord in one house had his sileage cut etc until the small hours and my dogs etc etc YOU know...the great headlights shone in through at me..

It apparently is fitting in with the contractors.. soon be over at this rate! Can you go out for the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Graces7 wrote: »
    #

It apparently is fitting in with the contractors.. soon be over at this rate! Can you go out for the day?

I'm at work, but I know I'll be home to it again this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Yeah I hear ya.. I live in a terraced house - they're all nearly 100 years old so what happens is, house is sold and then the renovations start and go on for months from morning til evening, blocked into the drive, road blocked etc etc.... Depending on what they're doing it can scare the dogs :( Or else I might get Bailey out and there'll be a noise from inside the house that's being done and that's it - he cries to go back to the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Mothers great companion dog was diagnosed about 18months ago with kidney problems and early dementia. Being 12 we reconciled that he was getting old and these things come to all old dogs. Since then he's steadily deteriorated and last week he became really bad. He couldn't sleep, would stare blankly at nothing and when he was lucid sort of whimpered. He had been getting seizures and now were becoming worse. Took back to the vet again and were told that there was nothing more could be done and he most likely had a stoke in the previous days and to try and make him as comfortable as possible but prepare for the worst. Broke my mothers heart.

But my sister being herself wasn't for letting that be that. Off she went to google and read up about dementia and the medicines available. One popular medicine that people raved about wasn't available in Ireland, only the UK. Living in a border county has its advantages so she rings a vet from the north and tells him the story. As chance would have it he was to be passing close by our area and said he give the wee dog a look.

So they meet this vet in a car park lol. Told he's the spit of Doc Brown from Back To The Future, wild hair and even wilder eyes, with plastic apron still on and still covered in blood from whatever he was doing. Takes one look at our dog and asks about the thined area of fur by his tail, had he ever any bother with ticks etc. 2 minutes into the meet he tells them he's see these symptoms before in calves and lambs and that the dog has Lyme disease. Said he'd give him an anti-biotic and to give him a ring in a few days let him know how he's doing.

Well he's doing.

Almost from the first night she got her dog back. The alertness came back, he could respond to his name, the seizures calmed down and today some 4 days later he's like a pup again. So full of life and energy we took him to his favorite beach and he ran like he did 5 years ago. He wouldn't have been able to get out of the car last week.

If you've a poorly dog, get a second opinion. Or even a third. You never know.

Joshua J wrote: »
    Mothers great companion dog was diagnosed about 18months ago with kidney problems and early dementia. Being 12 we reconciled that he was getting old and these things come to all old dogs. Since then he's steadily deteriorated and last week he became really bad. He couldn't sleep, would stare blankly at nothing and when he was lucid sort of whimpered. He had been getting seizures and now were becoming worse. Took back to the vet again and were told that there was nothing more could be done and he most likely had a stoke in the previous days and to try and make him as comfortable as possible but prepare for the worst. Broke my mothers heart.

But my sister being herself wasn't for letting that be that. Off she went to google and read up about dementia and the medicines available. One popular medicine that people raved about wasn't available in Ireland, only the UK. Living in a border county has its advantages so she rings a vet from the north and tells him the story. As chance would have it he was to be passing close by our area and said he give the wee dog a look.

So they meet this vet in a car park lol. Told he's the spit of Doc Brown from Back To The Future, wild hair and even wilder eyes, with plastic apron still on and still covered in blood from whatever he was doing. Takes one look at our dog and asks about the thined area of fur by his tail, had he ever any bother with ticks etc. 2 minutes into the meet he tells them he's see these symptoms before in calves and lambs and that the dog has Lyme disease. Said he'd give him an anti-biotic and to give him a ring in a few days let him know how he's doing.

Well he's doing.

Almost from the first night she got her dog back. The alertness came back, he could respond to his name, the seizures calmed down and today some 4 days later he's like a pup again. So full of life and energy we took him to his favorite beach and he ran like he did 5 years ago. He wouldn't have been able to get out of the car last week.

OMG, thats just the loveliest story
    Your poor mum must be so delighted
    Scary to think that he could have been PTS, when an antibiotic fixed him
    LYME DISEASE symptoms, hopefully vets are becoming more knowledgeable about it as its becoming an issue in Ireland now too

Continued good health to your little dog :):):)

Back from the shore on a blackberry picking expedition.. I had fed the cats early but two still followed me; young OLIVER aka Smudgie, and my old faithful Boycat.

Glorious on the way there and at the shore; tide almost at full and racing.... Never saw such a place for wild flowers and the heather! Omitted taking my camera but there is always another day... Young cat racing, climbing the ruined cottage...so much energy and zeal ... Boycat plodding faithful. Blackberries until the midges woke up...

Would be so lonely without my cats, and deeply thankful for them. As they are for me!

All is silent now! Sleeping cats!

• Advertisement

aonb wrote: »
    OMG, thats just the loveliest story
    Your poor mum must be so delighted
    Scary to think that he could have been PTS, when an antibiotic fixed him
    LYME DISEASE symptoms, hopefully vets are becoming more knowledgeable about it as its becoming an issue in Ireland now too

Continued good health to your little dog :):):)

Just pulled a tick off my small cat's ear.. I check them every day but the poison and infection comes with the actual bite. Apparently the worst danger is from deer ticks. No deer out here.

A sheer miracle re the dog.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

My tripe arrived and is defrosting in the utility room with door and window open, but the house smells like death.

I'm going to say nothing when the husband gets home and see whether he thinks (a) the dogs have bad wind, (b) a mouse has died in the walls, (c) the drains are blocked, or (d) I'm hiding a dead body.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Joshua J wrote: »

Well he's doing.

Lovely story. Glad to hear he's doing so well

Question!
    Ive always had male dogs, horses, and am relatively new to cats. Ive got two females. One of my cats, arrived as a feral over a year ago. At the time I brought her to the vet to be patched up, the vet thought she was approx 4 years old. Was in pretty bad shape as a feral. Roll on to now, shes a right little fatty and a tamed pet, spends most of her life indoors. She has something wrong with her pelvis - old damage but gets around very well - no "spring" so cant jump. If she runs for a short distance, lies down to 'readjust' herself. So my question is, shes quite fat as I say, but shes got a real saggy abdomen - really saggy :p would this be indicative of having had lots of litters? (shes now neutered) Would this be indicative of her age? It looks so funny when shes striding along. As I say Im new to females, and these 2 are my first cats. This one being super wonky (jaw is misaligned - was broken) I watch her closely.... Her saggy bit is very soft and floppy...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

We have the cats booked into the Cattery for the first time ever next month. :o I’m so worried about how it’s going to go. In fairness the place is absolutely fabulous, I’d stay there myself. But Cream is such a stress head! We decided to just bite the bullet and do it because we need some time away after the year we’ve had, but if it doesn’t go well it may be our last holiday for a long time :pac:

We have the cats booked into the Cattery for the first time ever next month. :o I’m so worried about how it’s going to go. In fairness the place is absolutely fabulous, I’d stay there myself. But Cream is such a stress head! We decided to just bite the bullet and do it because we need some time away after the year we’ve had, but if it doesn’t go well it may be our last holiday for a long time :pac:

a wise decision and please do not let worry ruin this precious time. Bon Voyage!

aonb wrote: »
    Question!
    Ive always had male dogs, horses, and am relatively new to cats. Ive got two females. One of my cats, arrived as a feral over a year ago. At the time I brought her to the vet to be patched up, the vet thought she was approx 4 years old. Was in pretty bad shape as a feral. Roll on to now, shes a right little fatty and a tamed pet, spends most of her life indoors. She has something wrong with her pelvis - old damage but gets around very well - no "spring" so cant jump. If she runs for a short distance, lies down to 'readjust' herself. So my question is, shes quite fat as I say, but shes got a real saggy abdomen - really saggy :p would this be indicative of having had lots of litters? (shes now neutered) Would this be indicative of her age? It looks so funny when shes striding along. As I say Im new to females, and these 2 are my first cats. This one being super wonky (jaw is misaligned - was broken) I watch her closely.... Her saggy bit is very soft and floppy...

Put it this way. It would be very unusual for an entire female feral not to have had a lot of kittens. They are wired to " feed and breed" and any tissues if stretched over and over again will sag...

Oliver, formerly Smudgie, is now in serious training, self insistent, as my follow and snuggle cat. Currently asleep here on my bed while all the others are somewhere outside.. purring and creeping up to me... and if I am out, following my every footstep.

It is lovely! He and Boycat follow and accompany. Only a year or so old and already this progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I'm hiding from the kids & dogs trying to eat a packet of crisps & our Indian Ringneck keeps making Wolf Whistle Noises at me, followed by my Parrotlet saying " Gimme a Kiss" & making kissy noises, then cursing in Hungarian. I feel like I am in a mad house! :D

• Advertisement

Knine wrote: »
    I'm hiding from the kids & dogs trying to eat a packet of crisps & our Indian Ringneck keeps making Wolf Whistle Noises at me, followed by my Parrotlet saying " Gimme a Kiss" & making kissy noises, then cursing in Hungarian. I feel like I am in a mad house! :D

Ha I feel like that every morning! Esmae came from a Polish home before us, it took me weeks to figure that out so had to learn commands in Polish & then retrain to the English cause I’m rubbish with Polish.

You need your own ear defenders :)

Advertisement