Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

RedXIV wrote: »
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ESW8SXlUwAAyi4V?format=jpg&name=large

Look at what you can get in convenience stores all over Japan now!? 2 weeks after I return from a once in a lifetime trip!

goddammit!!!

Any link to them? Might go over in June so could grab some if they're still available.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I played FF6 on the SNES and it was alright, although I never finished it.

It was good, but I really didn't love it. FF7 will always be king for me.

Does the story line go batty, yeah absolutely, and that's what I kind of expect from a Final Fantasy game in general.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Thank God we have Retrogamer around these parts, to regularly remind us how we're liking all the wrong things. :pac: ;)

All the FF games are varying levels of guff, but FF7s own is well paced, interesting, has good characters and arcs, while not completely batshít Japanese storytelling. It has flaws, bigtime, but never enough to derail the experience. And that was the big part for me - the experience, and journey taken.

Glad I missed the annual FF7 bashing

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Annual!?

I've had different accounts on boards throughout the years, retro correcting people's opinions is more like a daily thing :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,855 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm not correcting opinions. Just telling people they are wrong. There's a world of difference.

It's tough being the voice of reason in these crazy times.

Anyway, I'm off to play the greatest JRPG of all time on my Switch this evening.....

Final Fantasy VII

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,855 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I was going to make a snarky jibe about Ace Combat 7 but I feel there's a non zero chance of a forum ban.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

He likes bashing Legend of Dragoon as well, which is the greatest game ever made!!!!

Behind FF7 of course.

• Advertisement

Don't even joke about that or sony might give us a sequel

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'm a simple person. I don't follow plots, themes, the pacing of a story, why the creator did this that or the other. So none of these things bother me when watching a movie, reading a book or playing a game. I'll pereseve with it if I like it without wondering why, to the point of obsession.
    FFVII is the best for me, followed by X and then 8 but I couldn't explain to you why.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ff has never been great for story anyway with only FF Tactics being truly brilliant in that regard

Wrong, FF6, 7, 9 and 10 all have v good stories with 7 having a great story.
    FF7 feels like a Hodge podge of disjointed assets created with no real plan outside of midgar...
    For me the huge backstory that kicks in after midgar is one of many examples of excellent storytelling that happen after Midgar and Cloud, Aries and Sephiroth are 3 of gamings greatest characters.
    from one insane set piece to the next with not much explanation other than 'why? because it's cool'...seem to think it's up there with Silent Hill 2 and Shadow of the Colossus. It ain't.

FF7 is a much better story than both of those games. The backstory ends with the intriguing question as to what happened to Sephiroth and then the game continues to do a superb job of making Sephiroth more awesome so the why is discovering more about the mysterious Sephiroth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I might be a bit crazy here, but maybe, just maybe, a thread full of people really excited for the Final Fantasy 7 remake is not the ideal thread or place to start the same old waffling about how other games are better.

It's like some weird hipster obsession.

"You shouldn't like this thing because this thing is better" in the face of all the contrary evidence and twenty damn years of it being consistently considered one of the greatest RPG's ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Any where online you can get it?
    Morpork wrote: »
    Any link to them? Might go over in June so could grab some if they're still available.

My brother told me and is over there now. He's trying to get the details for me so I can see if they can be found anyway over here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Those low poly figures are really neat.

Low poly is the new pixel art.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFantasy/comments/fd6meq/merchandise_lottery_starting_in_japan/

More details on it here:
    You take the cardboard ticket from the display and pay at the counter. Then the staff will go you a box from which you choose another kind of ticket. Open that up and you will get a letter, that's what prize you have won.

ahz057lgokk41.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Played the demo last night but didn't really enjoy the battles much. Will maybe give classic mode a go this weekend. It was a bit "button mashing" for me otherwise.

I was talking to my brother about the little figures and apparently when the promotions end, they sell them off as normal merchandise. I've told him to keep an ear to the ground for me so if he comes across them after the promotions end, I should get updates. If there's enough to take orders here, I'll set something up to get them shipped over, but its completely based on stock levels after the promotion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,498 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Find the fact that the smaller figures are the older character models funny, would much rather those than the larger ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

I remember when i first played ff7, rented out a ps1 and ff7 in the local video shop. Could only rent the ps for one or two nights, if the folks payed up for the second night it was a serious, to which they did.
    Only had ff7 for the one night though and i was instantly hooked.

I remember i got to the part where you run up the endless stairs to the shinra building. I was glued for hours up until then. Video shop rang the next day and said they needed ff7 back as someone else had it booked. **

Devasted i didnt get to finish it. Maybe 3/4 years later i was on break in school and went wandering around zhivago looking at cd's.
    Boom right there was ff7.

(This was when you couldnt buy games online from amazon or any of that craic and anytime i went into town i always checked if smyths had the game)

Man i picked up that 4 disc box and hid thay **** behind like some old school foreign language music section. Went back 2 days later when i had the cash and got it.

When i got past the endless stairs bit i was blown away with the scope of how much was left of the game and little i had done in comparison.

Nostalgic to the max as im downloading the demo now.

** i got metal gear solid the second night and didnt finish it but was like, **** me i need a ps.
    Was Nintendo house growing up, which ti be fair was excellent.

never played this back in the day as i don't really love that whole japanese anime kinda style with oversize swords.

but i've heard enough about it since, and see so much excitement, that i'll give it an aul purchase :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Man i picked up that 4 disc box and hid thay **** behind like some old school foreign language music section. Went back 2 days later when i had the cash and got it.

I can't help but think someone else's childhood would have been entirely different only for your deviousness :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,830 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I can't help but think someone else's childhood would have been entirely different only for your deviousness :)

Like we all didn't do it at some stage. I can see folks still at it to some degree in Cex, certain games hidden behind others with no logical reasoning to it other than deliberate.

Downloading this now to try out, might be good with the hack n slash controls. Always wanted to try this game, but it's a big no to turn based combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Tried the demo. Gonna probably sound like a miserable fecker here folks. I'm disappointed but not surprised. It looks great, but I'm not a fan of this gameplay and that it's a bit all over the place. Can't emphasise enough how melee action-RPG's gameplay disinterest me when you've to repeatedly just press square for the majority of fights. The sparks that fly everywhere upon hit and the darkness of the Midgar setting make it hard to distinguish enemies. Why can't it be turn based like before, as in properly turn based not the hybrid they have alternatively. Something like the gameplay of FF12 would've been perfect IMO. The HUD is unappealing too. It feels like the element of warmth & charm about the first game is gone.

To be fair, anything released by Square for me is met with massive pessimism these days when it's been 14 years since FF12 which was their last decent release. They have serious issues with story development and dialogue. If you couple that with my distain for the direction they're taking with Action RPG's then I'm not sure I'm giving this a fair assessment. I'm sure others will love it.

On a side note, I'd wish they didn't spend years making this game just so it can look so lifelike. It's going to take over 10 years to fully develop this entire instalment. Just make the graphics a cross between Uncharted and Dragonquest for example to quicken up the process. If it mean's you get then game in much quicker time then who cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

gimli2112 wrote: »

Made my childhood though, got a good friend out of it as this english dude had started the next year in school and got put beside me. First thing he said was do you play final fantasy. Was like..... brother...
    Still meet the lad for pints 15ish years later

Hmmm, previous FF fans not liking the game, I'll probably like this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

On a side note, I'd wish they didn't spend years making this game just so it can look so lifelike. It's going to take over 10 years to fully develop this entire instalment. Just make the graphics a cross between Uncharted and Dragonquest for example to quicken up the process. If it mean's you get then game in much quicker time then who cares.

It doesn't look lifelike though... it's a big mental anime world, faces are anime like and all the building, the textures may look super clean and details but it's not on par with the likes of say Spider-Man or Tomb Raider with real life things for reference. Not to mention the weird dubbing with "umm" hawww" "emmmm" nobody talks like they talk.

• Advertisement

Actually, question on the talking. Are the animations for the conversations for English or Japanese?

Edit: Nevermind, seems like they have both! Watched the Japanese vs English trailer video, and the mouth animations when yer one in red asks if spikey hair dude (cloud?) is ok, and then immediately the lips moved to Yā! Daijōbu?. Sweet! Japanese with subtitles it will be!

Advertisement