Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,991 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

6 is ok imo but I don't love it. I'm sure it was a much more big deal in 94 or whenever but sure we didn't even get it until 2001 anyway unless you imported. At that point VII had already been well established.

The PS1 port of ff6 is absolute scutter and ruins the game. It's much better on super Nintendo. Gba is decent as well but we never got a good port of ff6.

I think the only mistep in the FF series was 13 and it wasn't that bad. Ff13-2 is great fun and ff13-3 is fantastic. Even ff12 which I initially didn't like is transformed into an amazing game in the zodiac age rerelease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    I dunno if I'd play a full game like these and I also haven't played the other 6 so guess I'd be missing a lot of story?

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Christy42

7>4/9>6. And then the rest. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>5There is an ordering and I may feel the need to replay though. 5 is terrible. I hate that job system so much

I enjoyed the demo and will probably play it a few times before release.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,421 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I saw the demo up on PS4 and had a go, it's basically a slower Kingdom Hearts 3, the game looks lovely but the main character was a bit of a blehhh, like a 15 year old trying to act cool around the bigger kids smoking and drinking haha. I dunno if I'd play a full game like these and I also haven't played the other 6 so guess I'd be missing a lot of story?

Each game is a standalone one so you don't miss anything by playing them out of order. there are a few easter eggs across the titles but you can jump in anywhere

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,991 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Christy42 wrote: »
    I hate that job system so much

You mean the mot universally acclaimed system FF has given us that spawned 4 job fiesta and is in all the best FF games (including secret best FF Tactics)?

Get off this forum with this blasphemy!

I hope people aren't judging FF4,5 and 6 based on the god awful PS1 ports? I'd take all 3 of them over FF7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Final Fantasy Tactics was ok but that system didn't become actually good until the Disgaea series. That's just facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Christy42

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You mean the mot universally acclaimed system FF has given us that spawned 4 job fiesta and is in all the best FF games (including secret best FF Tactics)?

Get off this forum with this blasphemy!

I hope people aren't judging FF4,5 and 6 based on the god awful PS1 ports? I'd take all 3 of them over FF7.

I played 4 and 5 off of the port. 6 on an emulator.

Loved 4 and 6 btw even with the port to ps1. The job system just took away any sense of character from the story. They didn't have personalities, they were just blank slates for jobs. The story was garbage.
    hey we tried to save two crystals and they exploded right as we reach them, let's go save the 3ed and that totally won't happen again. Or the worst kill off of a character as they are replaced by an exact clone stat wise. Removes any sense of loss.

I will say Gilgamesh nearly saved it singlehandedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

RedXIV wrote: »
    Each game is a standalone one so you don't miss anything by playing them out of order. there are a few easter eggs across the titles but you can jump in anywhere

Ah if it comes to Gamepass I'll try it, atm I'm slogging through KH, if it wasn't for Disney I wouldn't be playing it. The story is nonsense but it's grand battering lads with podcasts on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    so youve played through 6

I did play through it sometime after release after it was praised to high heaven. It had too many characters and the world felt disjointed. Alot of the towns didn't feel like they existed in the same world. Steampunk town, Sci-fi town, medieval castles, modern villages, medieval villages. Then i recall one place in the southern area of a continent that has skyscrapers and was pretty much New York city. Then you have Ninja, magic, trains, knights, laser guns, it was a mess of a game. Plus Kefka was just annoying more than anything

:pac:

Ah if it comes to Gamepass I'll try it, atm I'm slogging through KH, if it wasn't for Disney I wouldn't be playing it. The story is nonsense but it's grand battering lads with podcasts on.

With any of the final fantasy games in my experience, wait about 18 months after release, you'll pick it up for <€15 or so

• Advertisement

Not going to argue that FFVs story isn't utter garbage, it is but think breaking the game with job system combos is so much fun. In a way it's like ff8. Garbage story but the broken and open systems make it a blast to play.

Ff has never been great for story anyway with only FF Tactics being truly brilliant in that regard, and maybe the first half of FF12. I love me some Matsuno political intrigue.

I did play through it sometime after release after it was praised to high heaven. It had too many characters and the world felt disjointed. Alot of the towns didn't feel like they existed in the same world. Steampunk town, Sci-fi town, medieval castles, modern villages, medieval villages. Then i recall one place in the southern area of a continent that has skyscrapers and was pretty much New York city. Then you have Ninja, magic, trains, knights, laser guns, it was a mess of a game. Plus Kefka was just annoying more than anything

:pac:

FF7 is even more of a mess.

Both are glorious messed to me but feels FF6 is way more cohesive. FF7 feels like a Hodge podge of disjointed assets created with no real plan outside of midgar... Because it was. But then most FFs were games were made like that.

Kefka is annoying at the start. It's more what he grows into. And then there's the open world area in the second half after the massive plot twist. FF hasn't been better than that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

WrenBoy wrote: »
    9 never gets the love it deserves imo. Obviously 7 is the pinnacle but 9 is a very close second for me, the rest have a big gap then for me.

FF 10 was a good game but they ruined it with X 2

Ffx-2 is again a game with a terrible story but found the mechanics loads of fun.

Hated at the time but have warmed to it. As long as you don't go for the secret ending which is frustrating and bugged.

Ffx-2 is again a game with a terrible story but found the mechanics loads of fun.

Hated at the time but have warmed to it. As long as you don't go for the secret ending which is frustrating and bugged.

Agree FF X and FF X-2 had great mechanics with the grid sphere and the dressphere. Them and the materia in FFVII are my favourite leveling systems

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    9 and 10 were shyte .

Ahh here, 10 fine but 9 ? really?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Need more FF7 remake content ASAP before we rip ourselves to shreds here :pac:

fixXxer wrote: »

Keep playing the demo

Not going to work. We should all meet at the Dublin docks. Lock ourselves in a shipping container and whoever walks out alive in the morning better love the **** out of ff6, the job system and ff Tactics.

Not going to work. We should all meet at the Dublin docks. Lock ourselves in a shipping container and whoever walks out alive in the morning better love the **** out of ff6, the job system and ff Tactics.
    As long as we all agree Zidane was a terrible main character you can love whatever you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

RedXIV wrote: »
    With any of the final fantasy games in my experience, wait about 18 months after release, you'll pick it up for <€15 or so

Yeah it's not something I'd go out of my way to play, I got KH3 in Smyths for €15 around 6 months after release so this will be probably the same, no many people play these kinda games anymore. They just don't hold up compared to GOW, Uncharted, Spider-Man, the stories in those games are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

IMO FFVII's story holds up better than most cause of the environmentalist stuff, although I think the anime voice acting kills it a bit. FFVII's original ending is still very powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Yeah it's not something I'd go out of my way to play, I got KH3 in Smyths for €15 around 6 months after release so this will be probably the same, no many people play these kinda games anymore. They just don't hold up compared to GOW, Uncharted, Spider-Man, the stories in those games are great.

Final fantasy vii doesn't hold up to spiderman storywise??? Is this a joke?

IMO FFVII's story holds up better than most cause of the environmentalist stuff, although I think the anime voice acting kills it a bit. FFVII's original ending is still very powerful.

It doesn't hold up that well, especially in the more accurate fan translation. It all falls apart once you leave Midgar and never recovers and it relies heavily on jumping from one insane set piece to the next with not much explanation other than 'why? because it's cool'. Which is grand, God of War was great because of that. Also the focus on anime tropes and Deus Ex Machina is disappointing.

Why did Sephiroth gain control over Jenova? Forget the more awesome fan theories, it's due to the anime trope of 'the force of his will was so strong'. A lot of the strangeness and mystery is just due to the dodgy translation.

The one story area the better translation does improve is Cloud
    taking on Zack's persona being a defense mechanism of Jenova cells is better explained in a more accurate translation.

It's isn't FFV levels of ****e. It's well paced and loads of fun. But the way people go on about it, they seem to think it's up there with Silent Hill 2 and Shadow of the Colossus. It ain't.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I don't really care about the translation and the low level details of each little anime twist. It is very easy to get into a 'well acshually' debate about things like that. Sephiroth for the most part imo is a representation of a man made disease killing the planet, like a virus, so the whole 'force of will' thing is just a part of that. Jenova/Sephiroth is the foreign agent trying to take over its host (the planet). Weapons then are an antibody which see humans as just a big a threat as Sephiroth cause they created him, so that's why they tear **** up.

What I like about VII is it tells a story about human exceptionalism and how it is trumped by forces beyond its control. I like how in its ending the party all sort of accepts the way fate's cards have been dealt when faced with obliteration by either meteor or holy or whatever. It's something I find more profound in our current ere as we are currently smothering the planet and wondering what the f*ck to do about it, but ultimately it won't matter because it is ourselves we will end up destroying and the planet will find its own way to recover and cultivate new life. Much how Midgar gets overtaken at the end 500 yrs later.

I also love that it doesn't really answer the question if Cloud and the gang all die and rejoin Aeris in the lifestream (the 'promised land') or if Aeris' intervention is what spares them their extinction in the end.

But of course you can pick out deus ex machina and twists and Hojo BS and complain about it but it's such a f*cking dull way to talk about video games for 23 years or whatever. It's all just really boring and I don't care anymore about how bits of VII were hacked together or stuff was badly translated. Yeah the localisation is bad and smothers some important plot but there's enough resources out there now to get around that. Tim Rogers on Kotaku did a great series on it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

It doesn't hold up that well, especially in the more accurate fan translation. It all falls apart once you leave Midgar and never recovers and it relies heavily on jumping from one insane set piece to the next with not much explanation other than 'why? because it's cool'. Which is grand, God of War was great because of that. Also the focus on anime tropes and Deus Ex Machina is disappointing.
    Never underestimate Retrogamers hatred of the fanfare made around FF7 :D

ESW8SXlUwAAyi4V?format=jpg&name=large

Look at what you can get in convenience stores all over Japan now!? 2 weeks after I return from a once in a lifetime trip!

goddammit!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Any where online you can get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Be really interested to hear the thoughts of someone who never played FF7 going through this.

First time playing final fantasy 7 for me was last night with the demo. Never got around to playing the original. First FF game I ever played was FF10 (which is the greatest final fantasy game ever even Retr0gamer agrees :pac: )

I like it. I didn't know what to think of the combat at the start but grew on me by the end of the demo. I can certainly see the appeal of 7 just from initial expressions. Seems a darker entry to the series than 10, 10-2 and 12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 ryansmith171

im very exicteed

Advertisement