Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

Hi all - I'm going to join in too if that's ok.
    Fitness was going well pre-lockdown number 1, lunchtime couch to 5k club at work, pilates, parkruns at weekends. Diet wasn't great but I was maintaining my weight.
    Tried to keep up the running during lockdown but motivation wasn't there, diet and drinking got worse, and then to top it off I injured my ankle in August. Was in physio for just over two months, very little exercise and the weight shot up.
    I decided to bite the bullet and sign up for personal training for 6 weeks, 2 sessions a week. Only got 3 sessions in before lockdown number 2!
    So it's back to walking and the occasional run when I feel up to it, and a strict(ish) diet plan devised by the trainer. Will be heading back into the PT sessions in December when the gyms reopen. Looking to drop a little over 2.5 stone overall.

Weight Loss so far:
    Week 1: -1.4lbs
    Week 2: -3.8lbs
    Week 3: +0.6lbs
    Week 4: - 3.2lbs

Into week 5 of the plan now. Starting to get tougher when all these late late toy show boxes and christmas treat boxes are being advertised!
    Really pleased with my weight loss this week as I finally caved and got a Costa Black Forest Hot Chocolate on Saturday! (and not a small one either).

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Mutleyboo

TRS30 wrote: »
    Con' grat MB on the not so new arrive and the start on your weigh loss journey. As the other said, don't be too bad on yourself and accept you'll have good and bad days and even weeks.

We'll be here to support you and give you a kick up the a@@ even if needed :)

It's the kick up the a@@ that I need so it will be welcomed!
    Now if only I could cut the bread down.. (and the cheese coleslaw pastrami that goes with it)
    Going to start logging again in mfp. Found that helped loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Mutleyboo wrote: »
    Now if only I could cut the bread down.. (and the cheese coleslaw pastrami that goes with it)

I have replaces bread with wholegrain wraps. I find them not as heavy as bread, yet still lots of room to get a nice mix of fillings in, all healthy of course ;)

TRS30 wrote: »
    I have replaces bread with wholegrain wraps. I find them not as heavy as bread, yet still lots of room to get a nice mix of fillings in, all healthy of course ;)

We started making pizzas recently with wholegrain wraps and it's a gamechanger!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Jude13

I have a big advantage here being as I have Celiac disease so have no bread/flour/beer in my diet. Sadly the substitute stuff like biscuits and fake bread are far more calorific than the normal versions so I have to steer clear.

I hate cauliflower, dry retch thinking about eating it but I have had it as a pizza base with a small amount of rice flour and its unreal.

• Advertisement

Jude13 wrote: »
    I have a big advantage here being as I have Celiac disease so have no bread/flour/beer in my diet. Sadly the substitute stuff like biscuits and fake bread are far more calorific than the normal versions so I have to steer clear.

I hate cauliflower, dry retch thinking about eating it but I have had it as a pizza base with a small amount of rice flour and its unreal.

Can you eat spinach pizza bases Jude?

Never heard of them, bang on the details if you have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We started making pizzas recently with wholegrain wraps and it's a gamechanger!

We use wholegrain pitta's, delicious!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Not wholegrain, but I prefer these to wraps for pizza, they are a bit more sturdy than a wrap, so you can hold them like a pizza slice

532515.png

pigtail33 wrote: »
    Not wholegrain, but I prefer these to wraps for pizza, they are a bit more sturdy than a wrap, so you can hold them like a pizza slice

532515.png

That's a big jump in calories, I think the wholegrain wraps we use are 178cals. I'd prefer to use that extra 100cals up on toppings :D

• Advertisement

Let check with OH as she gets them and i'll come back to you.

That's a big jump in calories, I think the wholegrain wraps we use are 178cals. I'd prefer to use that extra 100cals up on toppings :D

No mention of the grams of carbs also and the kcal's in smaller print.

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/dr-oetker-yes-it%27s-pizza-with-a-spinach-base/862602-664781-664782

These are the ones she gets. Just checked the ingredients and see there is wheat in them so might not suit you I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Just jumping in guys regarding pizza bases, I have used Lo Dough Bases they are tasty as an alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

Just popping in with another. Chicken base pizzas. Blitz a raw chicken breast with an egg and spread it into a circle like a pizza base. About 10 mins then flip it and add toppings and bake again until all melty.
    Looks extremely gross before cooking. I find it a bit too meaty but my OH loves it for a carb free option.

tscul32 wrote: »
    Just popping in with another. Chicken base pizzas. Blitz a raw chicken breast with an egg and spread it into a circle like a pizza base. About 10 mins then flip it and add toppings and bake again until all melty.
    Looks extremely gross before cooking. I find it a bit too meaty but my OH loves it for a carb free option.

Will definitely have to give this a go this weekend, a nice way to add in a bit more protein!

Surely on this forum you would replace chicken with Turkey ;)

I have seen it before but cannot get the sauce to fit in to any of my macros, too carby/sugary

Surely on this forum you would replace chicken with Turkey ;)

I have seen it before but cannot get the sauce to fit in to any of my macros, too carby/sugary

Oooo you shouldn't have said that Jude! Turkey base pizza.. I can taste it now.. with a cranberry sauce topped with stuffing, roasties and drizzled with sage butter and gravy! That would be amazing!
    Sorry wrong thread :)
    I'm quite proud of myself as I endured the OH and little one devour dominos lat night. That was tough. I just had baked stuffed aubergine which in fairness was good but the smell of the pizza!

Mutleyboo wrote: »
    Oooo you shouldn't have said that Jude! Turkey base pizza.. I can taste it now.. with a cranberry sauce topped with stuffing, roasties and drizzled with sage butter and gravy! That would be amazing!
    Sorry wrong thread :)
    I'm quite proud of myself as I endured the OH and little one devour dominos lat night. That was tough. I just had baked stuffed aubergine which in fairness was good but the smell of the pizza!

Fair play to you, my willpower to resist dominos would be non-existent!!

Fair play to you, my willpower to resist dominos would be non-existent!!

I literally removed myself from temptation! Took the baby out for a walk, only way I could resist..

• Advertisement

The losses are getting tougher and tougher. I also*ahem* need to get some fibre in my diet.

The losses are getting tougher and tougher. I also*ahem* need to get some fibre in my diet.

Will definitely be harder if that the case :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Loughc wrote: »
    So week 1 of my newest challenge and I am glad to report I am down 4.5lbs. That's the 4lbs from my week off gone and a little extra. Still soooo much to go, but it's moving in the right direction.

It wasn't easy deffo struggled a bit on the weekend. Loving getting out at nighttime to get those steps in so that's good.

Speakin of steps after 8 days of November I am on 88.5k steps. So slightly ahead of the 10k steps a day.

This week will be hard to get the steps in squeezed in work so lunchtime walks will be gone, going to get up earlier and go for a longer morning one and out straight after work to clear the head.

Week 1 = -4.5lbs
    Week 2 - -2.5lbs

So week 2 done and dusted and that was a tough week due to work, but I stuck to the plan and lost 2.5lbs, making it half a stone in the last two week. I worked somewhere close to a 60 hours week last week which usually would mean I would have got a takeaway but I held strong.

The only thing that suffered was my steps last week. Although on 2 of my busier days I got up at 6.30am to get the steps in before work.

Halfway through the step challenge and I at at 156,873 steps out of 300,000.

So I am defintely on target for 300,000 but I don't have as big of a cushion as I would have liked. Not as busy in work this week so will have more time in the evenings to add to my steps.

End of week 11 and the weight just isn't moving like it used to:
    Week 1: -2.9kg/6.4lbs
    Week 2: -0.7kg/1.5lbs
    Week 3: -2.1kg/4.6lbs
    Week 4: -1.1kg/2.43lbs
    Week 5: -0.5kg/1.1lbs
    Week 6: - 1.2kg/2.65lbs
    Week 7: Holiday I didn't weigh in.
    Week 8: -1.7kg/3.75lb (over 2 weeks)
    Week 9: -1.9kg/4.19lbs
    Week 10: -0.9kg/1.98kg
    Week 11: - 1kg/2.2lbs

Cumulative loss over 11 weeks: - 14.0kg/30.86lbs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

What’s the norm for this thread? Does it usually fizzle out after Christmas or do some people keep using it? I might start logging here for the last few weeks but a far more realistic target for anything significant is next Christmas. I saw somebody posting about tracking steps and calories in a spreadsheet and liked the sound of that. I love an auld spreadsheet. Things I think I’ll track in my own will be weight, calories, water intake, steps and maybe further down the line days exercised. I looked through my phone and saw that my best average stepcount that I have saved is 7400 per day 3 years ago. I’m well below that on 6400 this year so I’m going to actively pursue 8k steps a day. I know everybody goes mad for 10k but I’d find that tough especially in this weather. Initial weighin tomorrow. If I’m down from my previous I’ll count it as a loss

If you look back through the pages there is periods of starting, stopping, restarting. The main thing is positivity on this forum.

The spreadsheet is a great way to be accountable. I have weight, steps, cals (full marco breakdown), whether I did cardio, % adherence to the program, supplements, hours slept, mood. It also has results or dexascans/ caliper measurements which I avoid. I got it from a pal who was/is in the business of sport.

I think 10k steps a day would be a min average, I think this as I am not a trainer and its a guess. My average was set at 12k and I sit at a desk from 7:30 am to 6:30pm so have to run to get near that. That's why my adherence % is usually 75%, meaning I hit the cals, and the supplements and training but did not hit the steps that day. Though in the 11 weeks I have not dipped below 12k steps a day as a average by running at weekends.

End of week 11 and the weight just isn't moving like it used to:
    Week 1: -2.9kg/6.4lbs
    Week 2: -0.7kg/1.5lbs
    Week 3: -2.1kg/4.6lbs
    Week 4: -1.1kg/2.43lbs
    Week 5: -0.5kg/1.1lbs
    Week 6: - 1.2kg/2.65lbs
    Week 7: Holiday I didn't weigh in.
    Week 8: -1.7kg/3.75lb (over 2 weeks)
    Week 9: -1.9kg/4.19lbs
    Week 10: -0.9kg/1.98kg
    Week 11: - 1kg/2.2lbs

Cumulative loss over 11 weeks: - 14.0kg/30.86lbs

It’s still a loss Jude, nearly 3 months and every week has been a loss. That is pretty impressive and something alone you should be proud of.

Cheers TRS30, can I go on the beer now? Dying for it.

Cheers TRS30, can I go on the beer now? Dying for it.

Soon and you know that first one will taste like nectar from the Gods :)

• Advertisement

The second one and I will be on the floor, most likely of a burger king.

Advertisement