Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭jaymla627

K.G. wrote: »
    You know him as well......maybe more west cork but all areas affected. A number of things going on but glanbia are playing politics trying to weild power.

Will the drop start next month given the negative vibes most co-ops are sounding all seem to be of the one hymn sheet, a bigger support payment re glanbia suits us to the ground as have 95% of milk fixed and since they got their knuckles wrapped over trying not to pay it out on fixed milk schemes, it’s a great little top-up on top of fixed milk price

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Anything to do with ornua restructuring? Appreciate heads up but do we have to talk in riddles?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

K.G. wrote: »
    Just a little heads up that we could be in for bumpy ride on milk price in next 12 months

For goodness sake man, spit it out!

...I just bought more cows. :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,073 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Idle gossip

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭6600

West Cork 32.46 Holding
    Aurivo 30.5 Holding
    Dairygold 30 Holding
    Glanbia 30.5 Holding
    Kerry 30.5 Holding
    Arrabawn 30.71 Holding
    Lakeland 31.28 Holding
    Strathroy 31.09 + 0.53 scc holding

• Advertisement

Dairygold are putting in a proposal to turn ornua into an unlimited company, 20% farmer supplier owned and the other 80 divided by shareholding of member coops or something like that, not sure about it really. All started with glanbia releasing their own butter brand to compete with kerrygold in the US. Think it's on the shelves 20 % or more cheaper over there. Glanbia seem to be keeping quiet. That's just what I've garnered from the papers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Idle gossip

Brexit and the sterling's strength is finally becoming an issue but other factors aswell.as for ornua and glanbia they are trying to wrest control of it and farmers have been proved in the past to be stupid enough to go along with it just the promise of a little short term silver in the pocket.make no mistake if glanbia pull off this stunt everyone will be getting less for their milk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭older by the day

They would like the milk to go like the beef. Take control out of the farmers hand, and treat them like dirt. Even now dairygold and some others have its own gimps out there to start talking down milk price every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Thanks 6600, I presume the scc is a conditional bonus. I don't include that as it just complicates a simple table, which is my core purpose.
    For example Both Dairygold and West Cork have bonuses of .69 and .55 respectively, not sure of others.

Now Big Phil has SFA to do with the price of milk. Maybe you have your tongue in cheek.
    Not sure where this Ornua suggestion/kite is going. The boys in ICOS must be bewildered, what with all the help over the years they've given Dairygold and this is the thanks they get?
    BTW Dairygold's last go at a spinout, called REOX, didn't go very well and cost its farmers a pretty penny, more like many millions. Nearly bankrupted the whole outfit.
    So the jury is out but be very wary.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭6600

Water John wrote: »
    Thanks 6600, I presume the scc is a conditional bonus. I don't include that as it just complicates a simple table, which is my core purpose.
    For example Both Dairygold and West Cork have bonuses of .69 and .55 respectively, not sure of others.

Now Big Phil has SFA to do with the price of milk. Maybe you have your tongue in cheek.
    Not sure where this Ornua suggestion/kite is going. The boys in ICOS must be bewildered, what with all the help over the years they've given Dairygold and this is the thanks they get?
    BTW Dairygold's last go at a spinout, called REOX, didn't go very well and cost its farmers a pretty penny, more like many millions. Nearly bankrupted the whole outfit.
    So the jury is out but be very wary.

No bother, it is conditional alright and not adjusted for solids. 0.25c for TBC under 10 and 0.25c for scc under 150. Calculated on an average. It goes without saying that Glanbia don't pay anything similar. It's worth €2,600 here and that's before counting the difference in base price which is guaranteed to be a minimum 60c plus VAT. No stupid levies being deducted either just those that are legally required.

• Advertisement

So Dairygold, West Cork and Strathroy have quality milk bonuses of about .5-.75c
    The majority of supplies would make the bonus IWT. Any other processors with quality bonus?

BTW some give a top up at the end of the year also, so these things are all hard to quantify. Throw in the fixed price rounds and you get a very complicated picture, with suits them just fine.

Mooooo wrote: »
    Dairygold are putting in a proposal to turn ornua into an unlimited company, 20% farmer supplier owned and the other 80 divided by shareholding of member coops or something like that, not sure about it really. All started with glanbia releasing their own butter brand to compete with kerrygold in the US. Think it's on the shelves 20 % or more cheaper over there. Glanbia seem to be keeping quiet. That's just what I've garnered from the papers

Why unlimited Co.?

The usual reason is to keep the accounts strictly private.

Spoke to my Coop this morning to inform them that we’d be upping supply so that they could organise transport.
    Then just before lunch a woman from the Coop called...wanting to know could we bang more cows on! Seems that they’re contracted to supply x amount of litres to processors and will have to pay a substantial ‘penalty’ if unable to fulfill the contract.
    Anyhow she’s quite bullish about price and can’t see any downward pressure in the near term because supplies are down pretty much all over the Eu (except Ireland, and that doesn’t count) so there’s every reason to be confident going forward?

Why unlimited Co.?

The usual reason is to keep the accounts strictly private.

Don't know tbh, perhaps in an attempt to be able to buy others out or plamas us farmers with talks of shares and ****e. I could be way out, I'm afraid I'd have to do a lot of research to become up to date with business in that regard

Gawd maybe we should start sending over a few tankers. Farm in Derry sends a tanker of organic milk to the UK, twice a week.
    There was nothing like live exports to keep the beef boys on their toes.

Water John wrote: »
    Gawd maybe we should start sending over a few tankers. Farm in Derry sends a tanker of organic milk to the UK, twice a week.
    There was nothing like live exports to keep the beef boys on their toes.

Provenance won’t allow.

Anyhow who in their right mind would want to ate yella butter? That sh1t could be poisonous!! :).

Don't know tbh, perhaps in an attempt to be able to buy others out or plamas us farmers with talks of shares and ****e. I could be way out, I'm afraid I'd have to do a lot of research to become up to date with business in that regard

Lactalis are a family Co. and the Co. is unlimited. Macron ordered them to furnish their accounts for investigation into their ‘margin’ from milk. They told him to fcuk off...he placed a fine of around €2.2mln per day on them for every day that they delay giving the accounts. Again they told him to fcuk off...that was nearly two years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

Pz Cussons the company who bought the Nigerian Nutricima drinks brand from glanbia (the same brand glanbia plc were trying to sell to our coop back at first spin out) just wrote off 24.8m the investment value, glanbia pocketed 21m back in 2015 for selling their 50% stake (All figures in sterling)

lucky escape lads, they paint a rosey picture when trying to offload business

im guessing nigerian rep might be in trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭alps

Pz Cussons the company who bought the Nigerian Nutricima drinks brand from glanbia (the same brand glanbia plc were trying to sell to our coop back at first spin out) just wrote off 24.8m the investment value, glanbia pocketed 21m back in 2015 for selling their 50% stake (All figures in sterling)

lucky escape lads, they paint a rosey picture when trying to offload business

im guessing nigerian rep might be in trouble

Not nice news....

The Ornua offering is going to be really difficult to evaluate and gain belief in...

Who in the shirt and tie brigade can we put our trust in?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

alps wrote: »

Who in the shirt and tie brigade can we put our trust in?

Someone who is working solely for farmers and whose pay is based on the return we achieve over the first 5 years after it floats. Once it floats don't forget any illusion of farmer control will be gone. What you want is lots of shares at a low price relative to what you are being told their worth coming to you at the start. Cash out and take your money off the table once they rise in price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭alps

Someone who is working solely for farmers and whose pay is based on the return we achieve over the first 5 years after it floats. Once it floats don't forget any illusion of farmer control will be gone. What you want is lots of shares at a low price relative to what you are being told their worth coming to you at the start. Cash out and take your money off the table once they rise in price.

Massive concern....our coops effectively sell through this coop..

We'll now be in the position where our coops sell through an unlisted PLC....

Is there anywhere that farmers receive a higher price for milk selling through a PLC, than selling through a Coop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

alps wrote: »
    Massive concern....our coops effectively sell through this coop..

We'll now be in the position where our coops sell through an unlisted PLC....

Is there anywhere that farmers receive a higher price for milk selling through a PLC, than selling through a Coop?

Well, Kerry pay the leading milk price...

On a like for like basis....

Excluding the West Cork processors...

And excluding all those that actually pay a higher price.

So, yeah...

With the current weather I’ll stick my neck out and forecast a rise in price across Europe.
    I’ve a neighbor that’s pitting maize now. It’s about 3’ high, dry as parchment, and no cob. Feed value of straw.
    Maize isn’t able to take the relentless high temps. Sorghum faring better so far, but with temps forecasted to stay high until mid Aug, things could get serious.
    Cow numbers have fallen also, so yes I’d be bullish on milk price.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭farmertipp

With the current weather I’ll stick my neck out and forecast a rise in price across Europe.
    I’ve a neighbor that’s pitting maize now. It’s about 3’ high, dry as parchment, and no cob. Feed value of straw.
    Maize isn’t able to take the relentless high temps. Sorghum faring better so far, but with temps forecasted to stay high until mid Aug, things could get serious.

I hopeyou are right.. dairygold are tryingtotalk down the price of milkeven though the fundamentals are positive

Our coops are doing nothing only trying to soften us up for price cuts ,milk supply pouring in butter markets collapsing demand weak ,thats comming from them despite ornua index delievering a price nearly a cent plus after manufacturing cost ,supply in big European countries is back and dropping intervention stores empty etc hooefully our boards and board members will stand up for us and push for at a minimum stability and insist on upward movement to match ornua index

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭farmertipp

Our coops are doing nothing only trying to soften us up for price cuts ,milk supply pouring in butter markets collapsing demand weak ,thats comming from them despite ornua index delievering a price nearly a cent plus after manufacturing cost ,supply in big European countries is back and dropping intervention stores empty etc hooefully our boards and board members will stand up for us and push for at a minimum stability and insist on upward movement to match ornua index

i don't know who you are with but I wouldn't hold out too much hope for our board atm. management able to run rings around them it looks to me.. peoplewho mean well but not able to make strong enough case to a ruthless management team. dg has to make a higher profit this year to continue this expansion business

farmertipp wrote: »
    i don't know who you are with but I wouldn't hold out too much hope for our board atm. management able to run rings around them it looks to me.. peoplewho mean well but not able to make strong enough case to a ruthless management team. dg has to make a higher profit this year to continue this expansion business

I’m arrabawn supplier

Checked up on Fonterra's predicted price for 2019/2020 season and they are pegging it at 32-34cent a litre converted back to euros at 3.6/3.3 solids....
    Doesn’t bode well for us when the majority of Irish co-ops won’t be able to match this even with Brit-exit in the background Irish processors really have us at the bottom of the barrel producing bargain basement products...
    Tag on the civil war in Oruna at the minute and the fact glanbia and co want to pull away from it is even more alarmingly given the status of the Kerrygold brand for export markets

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Checked up on Fonterra's predicted price for 2019/2020 season and they are pegging it at 32-34cent a litre converted back to euros at 3.6/3.3 solids....
    Doesn’t bode well for us when the majority of Irish co-ops won’t be able to match this even with Brit-exit in the background Irish processors really have us at the bottom of the barrel producing bargain basement products...
    Tag on the civil war in Oruna at the minute and the fact glanbia and co want to pull away from it is even more alarmingly given the status of the Kerrygold brand for export markets

Eu and trump threatening tariffs as well to throw more ****e at it

• Advertisement

jaymla627 wrote: »

Eu and trump threatening tariffs as well to throw more ****e at it

If trump tariffed butter and Boris pulled the pin in October, milk would be in the low 20’s overnight I reckon if it even stopped their

Advertisement