Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,134 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

whelan2 wrote: »
    Glanbia are 30cpl then 0.5cpl from ourselves. We normally get a payment for the uht milk in April's milk cheque. We are still waiting for it. Why is everything such a struggle?

Statements are online now. No payment for the uht. I hate having to beg for money that I should have got months ago. Was promised it would be there

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

West Cork 32.46 Holding
    Aurivo 30.5 Holding
    Dairygold 30 Holding
    Glanbia 30.5 Holding
    Kerry 30.5 Holding
    Arrabawn 30.71 Holding
    Lakeland 31.28 Holding
    Strathroy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

According to the NMA Newsletter received today,the difference between the price paid for winter milk and spring milk is only about 3c
    So on a 500000 litre october to march supply,you'd get 15k
    Shur that wouldn't even pay for the labour....
    Of course we all know this,(or we should) so apart from farms with not enough MP to expand milk from grazing,why do we do it?
    Zero grazing out farms is a delight for processors when they don't have to pay the extra cost of it
    We have according to one of our esteemed members here the largest processor in the country delaying paying a uht every day collection bonus too

Are we all mad ? And before anyone asks yes this has been brought up at various meetings by lone contributors to gasps of silence

• Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Water John wrote: »
    West Cork 32.46 Holding
    Aurivo 30.5 Holding
    Dairygold 30 Holding
    Glanbia 30.5 Holding
    Kerry 30.5 Holding
    Arrabawn 30.71 Holding
    Lakeland 31.28 Holding
    Strathroy

If you want to put in Terra Lacta (FR) John, it’s
    39.4cpl (add Irish vat) for July.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

What's base solids dawg? 3.3p and 3.6bf here. A+b-c calculations then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,479 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Mortelaro wrote: »
    According to the NMA Newsletter received today,the difference between the price paid for winter milk and spring milk is only about 3c
    So on a 500000 litre october to march supply,you'd get 15k
    Shur that wouldn't even pay for the labour....
    Of course we all know this,(or we should) so apart from farms with not enough MP to expand milk from grazing,why do we do it?
    Zero grazing out farms is a delight for processors when they don't have to pay the extra cost of it
    We have according to one of our esteemed members here the largest processor in the country delaying paying a uht every day collection bonus too

Are we all mad ? And before anyone asks yes this has been brought up at various meetings by lone contributors to gasps of silence

What would your own reaction be if Glanbia said they where implementing a bonus/penalty scheme so as to even out milk supply which would enable them to pay a better price as in no months milk supply can drop below 8% of peak months milk and if you don’t comply you get severe penalties like 6 cent a litre on all litres. supplied if you go over 12% of supply any month,....
    All penalty monies is then paid out in winter months to suppliers that meet whatever threshold is set, their would be uproar but this is basically the system run by a lot of European processors who are used to benchmark Irish price off, given the debt that has been taken on by Irish processors to facilitie the spring flush, it’s little wonder they have no appetite to pay extra for winter milk, their is zero incentive as they aren’t trying. To maximize processing capacity year round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

jaymla627 wrote: »
    What would your own reaction be if Glanbia said they where implementing a bonus/penalty scheme so as to even out milk supply which would enable them to pay a better price as in no months milk supply can drop below 8% of peak months milk and if you don’t comply you get severe penalties like 6 cent a litre on all litres. supplied if you go over 12% of supply any month,....
    All penalty monies is then paid out in winter months to suppliers that meet whatever threshold is set, their would be uproar but this is basically the system run by a lot of European processors who are used to benchmark Irish price off, given the debt that has been taken on by Irish processors to facilitie the spring flush, it’s little wonder they have no appetite to pay extra for winter milk, their is zero incentive as they aren’t trying. To maximize processing capacity year round

They do need a certain amount of milk for liquid
    Would it pay suppliers to supply just that liquid amount and nothing else no
    Would it pay a lot of them to supply it in spring instead if they have enough land?
    Yes
    Thats my point
    I think a lot of European suppliers need to be indoors even in Summer, they'd go broke on Irish prices
    I don't think even the fairly placid Irish supplier would stay placid if processors tried to wipe out producers summer margins
    That might be the camel that breaks the straws back here alright

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭alps

If we were paid 40c, we'd give it all away on inputs, land rent and machinery and complicated systems..

Happens the world over

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

alps wrote: »
    If we were paid 40c, we'd give it all away on inputs, land rent and machinery and complicated systems..

Happens the world over

And don’t forget the ski holidays and sure fook
    It well break out and head on a cruise or something in summer as well !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

They do need a certain amount of milk for liquid
    Would it pay suppliers to supply just that liquid amount and nothing else no
    Would it pay a lot of them to supply it in spring instead if they have enough land?
    Yes
    Thats my point
    I think a lot of European suppliers need to be indoors even in Summer, they'd go broke on Irish prices
    I don't think even the fairly placid Irish supplier would stay placid if processors tried to wipe out producers summer margins

A Glanbia rep told a neighbour of mine getting into milk that they would have almost zero interest in taking on new entrant winter milk suppliers, instead absolutely everything seems geared towards spring milk, which Glanbia obviously have decided they can flog all on as a commodity and the lower cost spring producers will still make a margin at the lower prices they pay.

I don't think I know one single dairyfarmer who regrets exiting any sort of split calving for compact spring calving however, as you said with the 3c/l different it's simply not worth the effort. I'll admit to being still sore as to how the spring lads like me who were still filling our small liquid contracts got forced out the start of this year, that arrangement using the few march/April stale cows and culls to fill the liquid contract while milking OAD in Jan suited me well.

• Advertisement

Glanbia are 30cpl then 0.5cpl from ourselves. We normally get a payment for the uht milk in April's milk cheque. We are still waiting for it. Why is everything such a struggle?

I wouldn’t stand for that kind of treatment. Your terms with the Coop is 30days in arrears? Then why doesn’t 30days apply for UHT milk?

We get paid by dd three times a month...no matter what.

Mooooo wrote: »
    What's base solids dawg? 3.3p and 3.6bf here. A+b-c calculations then

3.2p and 3.8bf are base, then a+b-c.

We don’t get charged anything for transport either...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,479 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Statements are online now. No payment for the uht. I hate having to beg for money that I should have got months ago. Was promised it would be there

Would you not just hand in your notice to leave, it would put a rocket up them, and your under no obligation to actually leave anyway at the end of notice period

alps wrote: »

Happens the world over

:).

I’d rather be paid for what my produce is worth...we don’t surf the wave of boom & bust because with mixed farming sure as sh1t when milk is a good price then something else is on the floor.

Funny enough post all the same...I presume that the butter produced from the milk here is that white disgusting stuff that ye tasted in Moorepark ‘19, but I’m getting well paid for it...funny that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Their now taking out the good fats and proteins in milk and adding back vegetable fat to pass as butter to lower end countries like Nigeria etc. I think the days of Ireland being seen as lead producer in meat and milk are numbered when our processors are altering the main ingredients to such an extent that is it real butter anymore? The same can probably be said for processed meat.

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Their now taking out the good fats and proteins in milk and adding back vegetable fat to pass as butter to lower end countries like Nigeria etc. I think the days of Ireland being seen as lead producer in meat and milk are numbered when our processors are altering the main ingredients to such an extent that is it real butter anymore? The same can probably be said for processed meat.

At what stage does it become palm oil powder/butter?

Dumping crap like that into W. African markets does nothing for the Eu dairy industry...and the African dairy industry.

I can only speak for French producers in the Grande Ouest...milk produced in Mar/Apr/May/June has 1cpl deducted and that ‘pot’ is redivided out to every litre produced in July/August/Sept (French off peak production mts). Works out at about 2.7-3cpl for those months.

Lots of dairy farmers have no successors that are willing to milk cows, and who can blame them?
    However if there was a Tams in place I’d pretty much guarantee a tsunami of milk out of France because the beef men would abandon ship fairly lively...

[ I quite fancy a heavily discounted 60bail rotary myself!!]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

I can only speak for French producers in the Grande Ouest...milk produced in Mar/Apr/May/June has 1cpl deducted and that ‘pot’ is redivided out to every litre produced in July/August/Sept (French off peak production mts). Works out at about 2.7-3cpl for those months.

Lots of dairy farmers have no successors that are willing to milk cows, and who can blame them?
    However if there was a Tams in place I’d pretty much guarantee a tsunami of milk out of France because the beef men would abandon ship fairly lively...

[ I quite fancy a heavily discounted 60bail rotary myself!!]

So you have a high milk price and no tams and expensive concrete

I would say every dairy farmer in Ireland would give their left arm to be getting the price you are getting for milk, even if it meant no tams or concrete a bit dearer - because without a shadow of doubt the high milk price is worth a lot more than the tams - which a lot of farmers have never availed of I might add

So be grateful for what you have I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

Tams is just a subsidy for the construction industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

tanko wrote: »

Never a truer word written

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »

Surely, using your logic, Tams is a subsidy for dairy processors...?

Surely, using your logic, Tams is a subsidy for dairy processors...?

It could be argued it is a subsidy for all those outside the farm gate. Brother is building a house, the electrician told him it was farmers doing different jobs requiring the qualified electricians etc kept them going. Same for a lot lads. When the Farm waste mgt scheme was there there were new companies appeared and disappeared building tanks and aeration systems as it opened and closed. Obv it gets lads in to gear 're facilities but no plenty that worked away outside of it due to the extra delays and costs it entailed particularly when linking to existing facilities

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭K9

Received €48000 from tams. Apart from cost of getting plans drawn up and applying, what I got done didn’t cost me anymore without going for grant. If I had to borrow the 48k it would be minimum 60k to repay with interest. Delighted to get it

K9 wrote: »
    Received €48000 from tams. Apart from cost of getting plans drawn up and applying, what I got done didn’t cost me anymore without going for grant. If I had to borrow the 48k it would be minimum 60k to repay with interest. Delighted to get it

Nice one. Delighted for you!

I’m kinda in that place where I should invest in a rotary parlor but I’m at the age where I’d find it hard to invest a ball of money on a machine that could be worthless in a very short time. I’ve no successor and nobody that’d be interested enough to grow and invest in dairying.
    If Tams was available to me I’d invest in a heartbeat...it would take the sting out of it. But without Tams I’d find it easier to invest in land...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Just a little heads up that we could be in for bumpy ride on milk price in next 12 months

K.G. wrote: »
    Just a little heads up that we could be in for bumpy ride on milk price in next 12 months

Any reasoning given?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Probably info from some owl lad down the pub. In fairness it's been a good run. I think a downturn may not be a bad thing in case supply runways away with itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

A good run at 30c? You have very low expectations of what is a reasonable return.
    A couple of processor CEOs have been putting out the vibe but then they did last year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Yes I would be happy if milk stayed around 30c. Anything lower I might consider cutting back on one of my ski holidays. Hopefully we don't see much volatility with big Phil there to cushion the blow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Probably info from some owl lad down the pub. In fairness it's been a good run. I think a downturn may not be a bad thing in case supply runways away with itself.

You know him as well......maybe more west cork but all areas affected. A number of things going on but glanbia are playing politics trying to weild power.

Advertisement