Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Revolut Megathread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

You can get pretty much the same net result from BUNQ, (2.64% gross = 1.77% net after DIRT) and a €100k DGS guarantee. Both have online systems of somewhat dubious merit and its swings and roundabouts when it comes to capabilities and features. Both have rubbish support so no difference there. Revolut have form locking accounts on spurious AML grounds, I've not heard of this in Bunq's case, though it wouldn't surprise me. So why would you give €100k to Revolut? I wouldn't.

Disclaimer, I have money with both, considerably more with Bunq.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Below is part of their response:

In your complaint you explained that an issue with transfers to AIB was brought to our attention by you on the 5th of April 2023, however, the issue continues to remain unresolved to this day.

I can see that you got in touch with our Support team regarding this on the 4th of February 2024, where it was further discussed until the 19th of February 2024. During the chat conversations, the matter was escalated to our Products team once more, but a clear explanation for the issue was not provided.

After looking into this matter, I can confirm that this issue has been looked into since April 2023 when it was first brought to our attention. However, regrettably, we are currently unable to provide further details or a resolution besides asking the beneficiary to provide you with alternative details to make the affected payments.

That being said, I would like to remind you that the following is detailed in our Terms & Policies, Clause 27:

“We'll do as much as reasonably possible to make sure that our services are not interrupted and are accessible at a reasonable speed. However, we can't promise that this will always be the case or that the services will be free from faults.<...> We’ll always do our best to solve any problems with our services, no matter what the cause.”

@optiplexgx270

Wow. That's just begging be referred FSPO.

The above is part of their formal complaint response. I've also sent FSPO in supporting documents the AIB final response from last year identifying the issue with the data revolut are sending them.

FSPO Complaint opened:

Online Complaint Form

Thank you for submitting your online Complaint Form (and documentation).

@AndrewJRenko happy to share my complaint reference to include in yours and vice versa.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Thanks for pushing on with this, I know it's pretty head wrecking but hopefully there'll be some pressure applied to Revolut and they fix it soon

They already had the fix for the old LT IBANs so I doubt it's a significant amount of work. However I suspect the product management have little interest in fixing any non critical issues and are focusing on features, so customer service issues will continue to be pushed to the back of the queue

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Qrt

Christ, what a terrible response from themselves. You can tell they haven’t had much experience with complicated complaints. I’m sure the final response letter will be a hoot. Have they stated when Day 40 is?

Aside from that, I find it interesting that BOI credit card payments work fine, whereas AIB’s don’t. Oh well, hopefully you get it fixed soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭beachhead

Re. The Revolut to Bank card issue:Would be very surprised if the FSPO do anything.They are excellent at formulaic responses-handwashing in other words.I had a bank issue with being doubled charged for a sepa transaction i.e. by 2 banks.My own bank eventually refunded me.Not the issue being discussed I admit.

It's also a question of what they're able to do legally, I doubt they can exactly imprison all of the Revolut staff until the issue is fixed

From looking at their website, they can require the provider to fix the issue, but their ability to enforce it seems quite hazy. What happens if Revolut just infinitely delay fixing the problem, which they seem to be doing already

• Advertisement

Is that on the free tier, website says 1.56%?

Bunq does seem to be a good deal, and they're one of the few banks that'll give you a savings account for free. Much better than paying the ransom to BOI or AIB every 3 months to stand in their queues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,434 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The Ombudsman can require the bank to pay compo to the complainant. I guess if they were to rule that compo was appropriate for the first complaint, it would open up a flood of further complaints.

Pity that Conor Pope didn't mention their inability to do certain transfers in this article.

Yes, the free tier and a standalone savings account has no charges. Be careful if you sign up that you only get a savings account, the do try to slip in a chargeable current account when you aren’t looking.

Because we are special, BUNQ offer 2.46% in Ireland, as they do in the Netherlands. To see and avail of this rate make sure you are using bunq.ie. The rate you quoted is that shown on bunq.com and it applies in other euro area countries. (Except Germany who are treated very very specially)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Just got an email about their esim offering, launched now. I guess it's useful if you travel outside the EU?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ya got that too. Looks handy.

Pricing is not really all that competitive. Indonesia for example you can get an esim for 17$ for 30Gb from other providers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭pureza

It's free on the ultra plan making that an altogether great package now,with cancel for any reason travel insurance up to €2k plus premium insurance for all the other usual things,,FT sub and complimentary unlimited airline lounges (oh and Tinder gold 😂) amongst other things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Dazler97

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭herrdood

Hi,

I got a message from Avantcard last week, as is usual, to tell me that the full amount would be taken today by direct debit for last months CC balance.

I see today that the DD is €12 short. Has anybody encountered this before? Is it even anything to do with Revolut?. This arrangement has worked fine for years.

BR

HD

Did you have any refunds/credits for €12 in the last month ? I don't use Avantcard but I know that Ulster Bank used to reduce the DD payment by the amount of any credits during the period after the statement was issue and before the DD was initiated.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭herrdood

Hi. I get €12 cashback each month but it was applied in the last statement. It was also applied in the transactions due to appear in the next statement. It does look like something do do with that though. One thing I don't want is to pay any interest as a result of this. This is the first hiccup in 15 + years with that card.

Thanks for the reply

HD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

When I lived in the UK you could lodge a cheque via the Halifax banking app (i'm guessing other banks did the same, it was brough in about 2018), you just took a a photo of the cheque and it took a few days to clear. You kept hold of the cheque until it cleared in case of an issue. Be handy if revolut used this tech, but also probably not worth their while as so few people use cheques and the expense of setting it up!

As far as I can tell most banks are actively trying to get rid of cheques and would prefer electronic transfers, so I agree that Revolut are going to fight any effort to start providing chequing services

I'd prefer electronic transfers as well but unfortunately there's a few people and businesses still tied to them, so I somehow find myself queueing to lodge one a couple of times a year

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭crinkley

Hey guys, got a large sum of money in from the solicitor and had to verify it - uploaded all the relevant docs to prove source of funds - how long do revolut generally take to review does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭beachhead

I would have lodged to one of the main stream banks first presuming you have a bank account with one.Did same with my bank and no problem.Bank must have been reassured by the originator-solr account transfer

I missed the answer to the question in this or was the answer what did you do that for 🙄

They don't really say below do they. I would engage with them on chat to get an estimated timeframe but they are fairly useless on the chat and will probably just say while you feel your pain and this must be hard to wait for we will do it but I'm not getting to tell you when.

I would expect a couple business days should see it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭crinkley

It was all sorted in 20 mins very impressed, took 3 days last getting it paid into my main stream bank, and then I was able to do all my transfers instead of being restricted. so will be using Revolut in future when the transfers are far quicker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,295 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Anyone else having trouble moving money from their AIB account to Revolut? They are very slow. I thought it was supposed to be instant. I applied to move some into Revolut yesterday and am still waiting. Very dissapointing.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

What method did you use to move it? Only card transfers are instant (for Irish banks), and technically they aren't instant, Revolut just let you use the funds right away.

Ms

Awe OK. I go into my Revolut and go to add funds. The first few times it was great but lately its very slow.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I can't take a screenshot but when you press Add Money you're brought to a screen where you select the method. This could be bank card, Google/Apple pay (bank card under the hood), bank transfer where they give you the details for sending money from your online banking, or easy bank transfer where they log into your bank account and send themselves the money. Bank transfers are much slower than card transactions.

Card used to be the default but that costs them money and I think they changed this in recent years to easy bank transfer which is free (for them). Sounds like you've been using one of the bank transfers lately.

Yeah you're probably using bank transfer, they're usually during business hours only particularly if it's a large amount of money

Ms

Yes that's it.

Yes.

It's not a lot and they had all today to transfer it. They bank says its gone but still no sign of it in my Revolut so hopefully tomorrow. I owe money to my Driving instructor and need to pay it via Revolut.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

The cynic in me might start to suspect that AIB are deliberately being difficult with Revolut since they're currently enemy number 1

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

It's just standard SEPA non instant time frames - would take the same going to/from BOI.

Don't forget SEPA is having maintenance over the comimg weekend, get ready for a swarm of why is my payment taking so long 😁

This is not just BOI but all SEPA across Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hey. Are there any other metal users on here who aren't using their wework vouchers? I've to do some work travel next week and they're dead handy so I'd happily send over the price of a pint if anyone fancied sharing theirs.

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Or it could just be that they could not careless and only too happy to see the back of Revolut customers!

All customers are not equal and Revolute customers are for the most part only interested in free stuff. You are never going to sell them any of the high margin financial products so the fewer you have of them the better. At least that you wouldn't loose as much on them.

• Advertisement

I didn't even know I had this on revolut.

Looks very handy. Does revolut allow 1 free use per month or is it just a discount?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Qrt

Doubt it really, fraud systems are bought as a package and managed by the outside company. AIB/BOI both use FICO's Falcon system as well as Broadcom's Arcot system for VDCs. Revolut is fairly high risk for a VDC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Notmything

I've a code I'll never use if you want to try it. Says I need a rework account if you have one and want to see if it works throw me a pm.

It's a code for one free access use per month. You can actually book for whenever you want, as long as you use the code in the given month.

So for example you can use your March code to book a day in April for example. And you can share the code, I've another friend on metal who sends me his because he works in an office beside a wework and I work from home and he wants me to come in so I'm around for lunch. :)

It's completely free. It also covers the Vat. And it works anywhere you can do wework on demand. For me it's been one of the most useful metal perks.

That's excellent. That pays for metal sub more than twice over if making use of it.

The office I use when I am in London is 45 pounds plus VAT per day! So close to 4x the metal subscription.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

That would be a dangerous line of thinking for any bank foolish enough to pursue it.

First Revolut was just for travellers, not a real bank but it cost legacy banks the tidy FX profit and their share of MSC for foreign transactions. Small change in the grand scheme of things, nothing to worry about.

Then it was just for people who wanted a better banking app than the legacy banks could offer. But that’s another slice of MSC gone, another very small drop in revenue.

Then they got their banking license and sure it’s from BoL who aren’t the most stringent of central banks but its an EU bank so now it’s possible for Revolut to offer loans and credit cards to their customers and the interface is so much better than most legacy banks so that will attract a few people away. More revenue lost.

Next up is savings accounts. It’s well known that most people won’t get paid into their Revolut account, transferring in spending money as they need it. But a decent savings account that is easy to setup could start to change that.

If you’re using it as a day to day banking app and you’ve got your savings there, it’s not a big leap to get paid there.

My wife joined a HPSU start-up recently. HSBC told them it would take 3-4 weeks to process their new account application. Revolut was done in minutes. Now there’s a few million sitting in Revolut and yes they’ll probably move to HSBC at some stage in the future but Revolut is working out fine for now. Irish banks weren’t a runner at all because they couldn’t meet some requirements.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Revolut also do loans nowadays so that is another revenue stream they can take from the traditional banks.

I'd say in some ways the likes of AIB love Revolut because they normalised the idea of paying a monthly fee for banking services

It's pretty well known that the Irish banks were struggling with low margins for years, but suddenly regular fees are a thing and now profits are up

There's definitely a sense that Irish banks feel threatened by the new digital banks. They've all been trying to push people online for years and then suddenly Revolut and N26 come along and offer a better service than them for free

Now they're scrambling to catch up on the online side. There was that joint venture called Switch or something which was supposed to launch soon? It was going to be the Irish banks answer to Revolut, although I think one of the main banks dropped out and now it's not looking good

Now that savings are a thing, there's really only mortgages left out of the things you can't do with Revolut

I don't think AIB or BOI are going to shut down, I doubt the Irish government would be happy at the idea of there being no Irish based banks

But they're going to become more and more irrelevant over the years unless they do something

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Synch is the app you are thinking off and it is no more. They threw in the towel on that a few months ago.

Synch Payments officially abandoned plans for their weirdly named Yippay payments app (Revolut rival) last November. It is 100% dead. Buried under the €20 million or so they spent on it.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2023/1115/1416641-synch-ends-plans-to-launch-payments-app-here/

• Advertisement
Advertisement