Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭herrdood

kil wrote: »
    I got a pallet of oak from Dairygold Co-op and the sample happened. Never happened me before, freaked the **** out of me - I went through the wood at a rapid rate just to get of them. I don't think it affects the burning performance.
    Would we worth giving the feedback to Coal Warehouse.

The beetles freaked out my wife a bit.

Oak from dairygold too.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭POBox19

herrdood wrote: »
    The beetles freaked out my wife a bit.

Oak from dairygold too.

Was the wood kiln dried?
    One of the reasons for kiln drying wood is to kill off any bugs and larvae growing in it so we don’t import any nasties. Seasoning timber doesn’t achieve this effect and should not be imported.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭herrdood

POBox19 wrote: »
    Was the wood kiln dried?
    One of the reasons for kiln drying wood is to kill off any bugs and larvae growing in it so we don’t import any nasties. Seasoning timber doesn’t achieve this effect and should not be imported.

Hi,

It was sold as kiln dried. I don't have a meter so cannot indicate any particular moisture level. First time buying oak and this pallet of wood did not burn as well as the beech we previously used. Very sparky. Needed a lot of draught to get the wood going. I got some beech in the meantime to see how that would go and it burned fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was the wood kiln dried?

yeah I dont know what this beetle is but if its not native to Ireland would have thought that the Dept of Agriculture have regulations about importing them. And if the logs went through a kiln in Lativia or whereever the logs came from then any insects would surely have been killed. It could also be the case that its a native beetle and it infected crates of logs while sitting in a yard for weeks on end.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭razorronan

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CHJKLY7

35 litre box of Kiln dried Ash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

razorronan wrote: »

Seems a little expensive. I can buy 20L locally for €6.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

razorronan wrote: »

Reviews are very poor and it’s not very cheap either in my opinion

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

Was the wood kiln dried?
    'Kiln dried' is probably the most abused term in this business.
    I know of a timber supplier in Nth Dublin, he stacks the wood in a big polytunnel for a few weeks and then he says it is 'kiln dried'. LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah I dont know what this beetle is but if its not native to Ireland would have thought that the Dept of Agriculture have regulations about importing them. And if the logs went through a kiln in Lativia or whereever the logs came from then any insects would surely have been killed. It could also be the case that its a native beetle and it infected crates of logs while sitting in a yard for weeks on end.

The wood might have been kiln dried.
    But the soggy old pallet lying out in their yard for a month that the wood was wrapped into was probably not kiln dried.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭webels

deandean wrote: »
    'Kiln dried' is probably the most abused term in this business.
    I know of a timber supplier in Nth Dublin, he stacks the wood in a big polytunnel for a few weeks and then he says it is 'kiln dried'. LOL!

Solar kiln.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,535 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Today in Lidl:

547430.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

do the coop or the other stockists have clearance sales to get rid of crates of wood at all? They hardly store them for the year til September or October again do they? From April onwards would there be sales in a given year?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Not sure if it’s a good deal or not. A local traditionally coal company (Richie Watters) in Dundalk is selling 1.2m of kiln dried Silver Birch for €190 delivered. How does it burn compared to ash?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Smaller scale but I buy 5 large net bags of firewood and a bag of kindling for €20 locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Smaller scale but I buy 5 large net bags of firewood and a bag of kindling for €20 locally.

Softwood or hardwood?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

vicwatson wrote: »
    Softwood or hardwood?

I wouldn't know the difference tbh. It burns pretty well in the stove.

bailey99 wrote: »
    do the coop or the other stockists have clearance sales to get rid of crates of wood at all? They hardly store them for the year til September or October again do they? From April onwards would there be sales in a given year?

Ive never seen the Co-op offering any sales in the summer so would imagine they carry over their stock and sell it the following winter. They probably have lots of storage space and with forklifts can stack them 2 or 3 high. That said I would say you could haggle 10 maybe 20 quid off a crate of wood if buying it out of season, no harm in trying anyway.

Last summer Monahans sent me a text around the start of July offering 10% off crates. I didnt take it up at the time. If I get another text this July I'll post up here for others to take advantage if they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

ya i thought independent places might be open to a bit of haggling, but i didn't think the CoOp would haggle.

I wouldn't know the difference tbh. It burns pretty well in the stove.

Yeh softwood I'd say at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Thought I'd timed it quite well this year, all logs gone about a fortnight ago....

Anywhere around Dublin I could pick up a small bag of kiln dried logs? Will hold off till September now for a big stock up and don't want the stuff off the petrol station forecourt

• Advertisement

Try Woodies or B&Q but check the label to make sure it is kiln dried hardwood. Aldi have bags of logs for sale too but they are softwood and from experience they burn very quickly with not much heat, similar to the stuff the petrol stations sell so I would avoid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Anyone spot a current deal in hardwood crates? I had noticed that supply was limited over recent times due to covid. Has this got any better?

Would there usually be a decrease in price for the summer months?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

Heighway61 wrote: »
    Anyone spot a current deal in hardwood crates? I had noticed that supply was limited over recent times due to covid. Has this got any better?

Would there usually be a decrease in price for the summer months?

Was also just thinking this with the weather being good

Worth checking in with Monaghan’s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Was looking at getting some timber into the shed before the Winter rush.

Has anyone spotted any good deals available for hard wood for a stove?

Are these lads good value or over priced?

https://www.ecofuel.ie/collections/kiln-dried-firewood/products/kiln-dried-ash-firewood-double-deck-pallet

At 455 euro for 2m3 they are very over priced, I forget what that company were charging last winter but it wasnt that high (might have been 420-430 ish) so their prices have gone up.

2m3 of wood here (but oak instead of ash) for 370
    http://monahans.ie/kiln-dried-logs.php
    Ring and ask them if they will do a discount, in previous years they have reduced firewood by 10% in July

If you specifically want ash you should be able to find the same quantity of 2m3 for about 350-380

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

As an aside, I was talking to a firewood vendor who is placing his wholesale orders for the season ahead.
    Said prices have gone up a lot. The raw material has increased and also the cost of shipping a container of fuel from the Baltics has gone way up.

Seems unavoidable that prices will be much higher this year.
    If you see a good deal now and can store it, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭mjp

Was looking at getting some timber into the shed before the Winter rush.

Has anyone spotted any good deals available for hard wood for a stove?

Are these lads good value or over priced?

https://www.ecofuel.ie/collections/kiln-dried-firewood/products/kiln-dried-ash-firewood-double-deck-pallet

Nothing cheap about ecofuel or them prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

The jumbo bag from surefire 185 delivered. No need to pay extra for couriers .
    A bag of genuine blocks uniform size .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 pumpkinpie86

Would it be better to get all oak, or a mix of ash and oak? I have some softwood cut that should be ready for the winter, want to supplement it with hardwood and a bit of coal.

I'm looking at Monahans (243 euro for the 1.2m/450kg crate of oak) or my local Topline (199 euro for 400kg of mixed hardwood, I'm told ash and oak). Not sure which to go for.

Advertisement