Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When's calving starting 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Base price wrote: »
    Pic of the calf

Nice colour. I might try a SH on any repeats I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Another section yesterday on one of my underage heifers. lost the heifer she never settled and was too small to hold properly so made a pure fool of us so we lost her. Ah well only loss from 3 sections on them so happy enough as she was the worst one and the calf will cover section cost.

One older heifer to go in a weeks time or so..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭endainoz

Had a late arrival today, cow was scanned not in calf last august but left her running with the bull for a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

endainoz wrote: »
    Had a late arrival today, cow was scanned not in calf last august but left her running with the bull for a couple of months.

Nice photo.

endainoz wrote: »

What breed was the bull?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭endainoz

tellmeabit wrote: »
    What breed was the bull?

A Droimeann bull

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

Waiting on the last to calf here, was due 1st JJune. Still holding out..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭893bet

RD10 wrote: »

Have you a bull? She must have repeated unknown to you?

She looks in calf?

My last is due Aug 16, I've seen her standing for the heifers she's with but she looks in calf alright. Could be wrong too. :)

tellmeabit wrote: »
    She looks in calf?

My last is due Aug 16, I've seen her standing for the heifers she's with but she looks in calf alright. Could be wrong too. :)

Ya big bag of milk on her. Am getting impatient now as its already late in the year.
    Good bit behind the rest but shes a lovely PB sim cow and really the only reason she's well behind the rest is because of last year's ai man!!

• Advertisement

Ya big bag of milk on her. Am getting impatient now as its already late in the year.
    Good bit behind the rest but shes a lovely PB sim cow and really the only reason she's well behind the rest is because of last year's ai man!!

Ah ya, it's no harm really just annoying. I get the inpatients myself. Oh to be back to walking out to find a new calf in any month of the year when the bill was around

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭squinn2912

So 49 cattle got mixed up together and we sorted them yesterday and weaned the autumn calves. Some of the cows had the calves weaned and so sprung up a bit of an elder

This girl gave us all a surprise

So she calved first thing this morning, whopper of a bull calf with the jack.
    Wedged at the hips & under serious pressure, several attempts trying to twist and turn him to get him out and no way was he budging. I was thinking sh$% i'm in trouble here.
    Then you see the eyes beginning to go.
    Eventually got him out. the poor thing out stretched and the eyes glazed. Didnt think he'd last much longer. injections from vet and got him perked up sitting after an hour. Tubed him with beastings and hes just making efforts to try stand now thank god.
    Just to finish off the year with a bang.
    Rough calving season this year. Happy to see the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Dozer1

finally done here, 4am this morning, needed the vet big pull big bull calf thank F*ck nothing till September

• Registered Users Posts: 29,143 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Just calved a pedigree angus heifer the young lad bought. Used Jack big calf. A heifer. 272 days. That's it for a while I hope

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Pie Man

This Lad born on Sunday. very lively for big calf, up sucking in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Great length and size to that calf. What bull?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Pie Man

Our own LM Stock Bull, whos father is ELITE ICE CREAM ET (some name).

She's a week earlier than last year, but I think she went over her time with the size of him. She had a handy size heifer last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

what’s the view on ice cream? how were his calves as weanlings? Daughters good as cows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

First few cows not due to Calf until October 1st but one of them is mud fat now and weighing in at 840kg. I don't know should I put her in and try and skin her back a bit or is it too late to try that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Same boat here with one stragler, its never too late to put her on a diet, get her on bare ground ASAP

Just be careful. I bought a cow back from a neighbour about 6 weeks ago. He bought her from me to rear calves over 2 years ago. She was dry for 8 months before she calved in July . Mud fat. The farmer got cancer and asked me to buy her and the calf back. Disaster. Nearly lost her. Ketosis and fatty liver. Alot of looking after on her. Have her back milking now, she's lost a lot of her condition

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭White Clover

What were you giving her to deal with the ketosis and fatty liver, Whelan?

Chanatol. For 4 days. Vet pumped her with fluids and we gave her marbocyl too. Was touch and go for a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭White Clover

I'd say so 32 litres at milk recording the other day . He had her spoilt.

Section on a cow here last night. Can't remember when we last had a section. When I handled the cow there was 4 feet and a head. Assumed twins and rang vet. The calf was deformed. Friesian heifer calf of course

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

• Advertisement

She was a bit iffy this morning. Gave her a calcium bolus. Was eating away this evening. Just on pen strep for a few days now

Advertisement