Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When's calving starting 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Sami23

High bike wrote: »
    That wouldn't be that unusual in a young calf provided there isn't much blood,if he's not very loose and sucking the cow id just keep an eye on him and hopefully will be OK,maybe check for a temp

So the calf got worse as day went on as in dung more runny and more blood also so got vet to check him. It looks to be crypto so gave him a few injections and an electrolyte.
    Gonna restrict him from the cow for few days and hope for the best

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Sami23 wrote: »
    So the calf got worse as day went on as in dung more runny and more blood also so got vet to check him. It looks to be crypto so gave him a few injections and an electrolyte.
    I don't think restricting him from the cow is a good idea. He needs all the nourishment that he can get. You can still feed/tube him electrolytes two or three times a day. Did the Vet give you anything else to give him. I read on here there is stuff called garbovet (or something like that) that is given for three days and it's supposed to be good for clearing it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,205 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Is it inside or outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭High bike

Yeah as Base said I'd leave him on the cow if he's sucking,and plenty electrolytes, its a horrible dose hope u got him on time

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Got mine tested last week and was crypto, had calf on cow at least 4 times a day to keep her going. Seems better now.

• Advertisement

Base price wrote: »
    I don't think restricting him from the cow is a good idea. He needs all the nourishment that he can get. You can still feed/tube him electrolytes two or three times a day. Did the Vet give you anything else to give him. I read on here there is stuff called garbovet (or something like that) that is given for three days and it's supposed to be good for clearing it up.

Thanks for replies everyone.
    I'm gonna let him in to the cow 3 times a days for next 2 days and he's getting Parafor for next 2 days also. Just in from giving him a feed there now and he's in good form and sucked well so fingers crossed. Vet didn't give me any electrolytes for him though.

Effydral tablets are really good . Dissolve in 1 litre of water

whelan2 wrote: »
    Effydral tablets are really good . Dissolve in 1 litre of water

I actually have a few of them here alrit. Would a litre morning and evening be a good idea tomorrow b4 I let him into the cow ?
    Also is it ok to give that with a dosing gun

• Registered Users Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭tanko

If the calf is sucking the cow as normal and is iively and in good form i wouldn’t be too worried about giving electrolytes.
    Parofor for three days should do the job.
    I do give a shot of Forcyl and Metacam the first day also.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Is it inside or outside?

Inside - will get them out as soon as weather settles. Very showery around here at moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

I actually have a few of them here alrit. Would a litre morning and evening be a good idea tomorrow b4 I let him into the cow ?
    Also is it ok to give that with a dosing gun

Bread soda same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

Have a heifer 5 weeks over her due date, shes very close to calving but what would ye do - leave her be?

RD10 wrote: »
    Have a heifer 5 weeks over her due date, shes very close to calving but what would ye do - leave her be?

5 weeks are you sure?

Down in the diary and double checked AI docket.
    Dont like her being that far over.
    Had a cow do it before two years in a row, big bull calf the first year, dead calf inside her a few days the following year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Is she AI or Stock bull ?

We had a shorthorn one time, well over her time and enormous, she was carrying a mummified foetus.

Limousin AI.
    She has some dairy in the backround breeding. Dont know if that makes any difference.
    Thought she might calf a day or two ago but still hanging on.
    I think i might leave her the time being. Just wondering peoples thoughts

If leave her be, had a cow go over a month past her duedate a few years ago and git a nighbkuyr to handle her. Said there was a small calf inside. A week or more later I heard dogs in the field with the cows and found that cow with the smallest little calf just born. Not sure was it the handling or the dogs or what but she threw calf. Managaed to nurse the calf for 2 weeks, she was able to suck herself at this stage .only to land out to her one morning and she was dead in shed. Seems like cow had lost the twins she was in calf to and a yearling must have bulled her after.
    Could it be similar here? Was she with bulls after you though she was in calf

As long as no smell

When was she Ai’ed and what bull is it?

Ai'd 8th july to Lm bull ewdenvale ivor.
    No smell off her, i think she'll be ok, just the fact its a long time to go over, esp with her being a first calver

• Advertisement

That’s 309 days ago, possible i suppose but a very long time, is it possible that she was Ai’ed or bulled on August 01?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I had a AAx cow bring 29 days with her a couple of years back, calfed no bother herself but when they bring massive time it's a worry.

Any sign of a string of mucus? Is she lifting the tail a lot?

No sign of mucus/slime at all from her - i did note that to myself once or twice.
    About two days ago she'd lift the tail and leave it out for a few minutes but bring it in again. Was doing that on and off but she wasnt at all uncomfortable looking as if she was thinking of calving.
    Shes bagging up nicely the last week too.
    Was just herself and one other heifer together so cant be after the 8th of july!

Watching her here on the camera, curled up fast asleep, dosn't look like shes budging tonight.

No sign of mucus/slime at all from her - i did note that to myself once or twice.
    About two days ago she'd lift the tail and leave it out for a few minutes but bring it in again. Was doing that on and off but she wasnt at all uncomfortable looking as if she was thinking of calving.
    Shes bagging up nicely the last week too.
    Was just herself and one other heifer together so cant be after the 8th of july!

Some times if a heifer or cow are over fat they can be vey slow calving.

Even then you see the initial bag and water

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Calving cameras packed in tonight, first night in 3 weeks i actually need it.

She wouldnt really be overfat, with the dairy backround aswell that would be in her favour.
    Hoping she goes soon as it will start to bother me, already gone long enough.
    Think i saw calf give a jolt earlier so am happy to leave her be for time being.
    Wonder whats the longest anyone has had one go. Saw few posts back someone had 29 days

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Thanks for replies everyone.
    I'm gonna let him in to the cow 3 times a days for next 2 days and he's getting Parafor for next 2 days also. Just in from giving him a feed there now and he's in good form and sucked well so fingers crossed. Vet didn't give me any electrolytes for him though.
    How is the calf doing now?

• Advertisement

Base price wrote: »
    How is the calf doing now?

He's in great form tbh and sucking away every time I let him in. Just let him to her there short while ago and gonna chance leaving him with her now n see how he goes.
    His dung is still very soft but not quite runny and the blood seems to have gone. I'll see how he is tomorrow and chat the vet again if its still soft/runny.

Advertisement