Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When's calving starting 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Had a cow sick to calve yesterday evening, making no progress so said I'd handle here at 10pm.

when I went out she had just passed a bit of the clearing, so I reckoned I was in dead calf territory as didn't look a good color and I'd never seen it before.

handled her and calf was there and alive so I got her out handy enough with the jack fine CH heifer calf and was up within an hour or so but I'm still puzzled at the clearing coming first.

Checked for twin to be sure but nothing there

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Dozer1 wrote: »
    Had a cow sick to calve yesterday evening, making no progress so said I'd handle here at 10pm.

when I went out she had just passed a bit of the clearing, so I reckoned I was in dead calf territory as didn't look a good color and I'd never seen it before.

handled her and calf was there and alive so I got her out handy enough with the jack fine CH heifer calf and was up within an hour or so but I'm still puzzled at the clearing coming first.

Checked for twin to be sure but nothing there

If the cleanings are coming first, it's not a good sign. Fluid will probably be brown and calf will be in distress. Get calf out asap

RD10 wrote: »
    Ai'd 8th july to Lm bull ewdenvale ivor.
    No smell off her, i think she'll be ok, just the fact its a long time to go over, esp with her being a first calver

Any update?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

whelan2 wrote: »
    Any update?

She just calved this evening. Ended up with a bit of a pull, she wouldn't have calved him herself.
    Calf not gigantic but on the big side for a heifer all the same.
    5 and a half weeks has me dumbstruck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

This is a Zag heifer 4th generation LM away from dairy,. She has held on to the milk off previous generations thankfully.. very happy with her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭High bike

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    This is a Zag heifer 4th generation LM away from dairy,. She has held on to the milk off previous generations thankfully.. very happy with her.
    Lovely heifer and a great bag of milk on her

• Registered Users Posts: 10,720 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Anto_Meath wrote: »

Lovely cow and a nice size. Serious milk for a ZAG cow. What is her mother by?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Her mother was OEI and her grandmother was REQ, her great grandmother was a red limo heifer calf I bought off a dairy farmer.. but the milk seems to have continued down the line. That calf is LM2388..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭High bike

High bike wrote: »
    my one will probably be 17 mts calving but not very big so will probably be a section aswell.Dont know if a weanling or the bull got her,good luck with the other 2
    update she calved this morning at 15 mts,started at 7 and calved herself by 8 am.Nevet put a hand on her ,littered lim heifer calf up sucking in 30 min
    Nature is unreal the way she calved and took to the calf like a mature cow

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Finally last one this morning. Over a month since the last cow! Grand Aherla K7 bull calf off PDNR LM 2nd Calver. Little pull with my hands to help her along but she'd probably have done it herself. Need to pull her dates back inline with the others as I've 75% of the herd Ai'd now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Ch2066 heifer calf. 282 days. Calved unassisted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Not sure if I bit the bullet and owned up or not… last heifer calved 2 weeks ago… well the vet calved her out the side. Thing is she’s maybe a month after all the rest and it’s def not a sim calf. I think a big red lim boy came through the March ditch. Our heifers were out on the road and yer man, who is a colleague in school, gave it loads about getting a palin up. I think he was pissed his bull went through the hedge. Anyhow F off spring 2021.
    All in all just lost 2 calves and down in vet calls by 33%

Had a pedigree angus calved last Saturday. Her 11th calf. All good

• Registered Users Posts: 11,186 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Last one calved this morning. A shx heifer that went through 2 ditches then on a road trip for about a mile and through another ditch to a neighbours Hereford bull last September. She had a massive bull calf and only for the help of another neighbour there was no way I would have got it out. They are both ok, the heifer was a bit paralysed for a while and the calves legs were sore, I gave him 3 litres of thawed colostrum but he sucked on his own this evening. I phoned the Vet after she had calved and they recommended we give the calf 2mls of dexameth which seemed to have helped him.
    So hopefully that's the calving finished for this year.
    Edit to add that I will throw up a pic tomorrow.

Had to go looking back a few pages to find the thread......
    This lady 4th calf, started end iSept 1st time around, was going to change to Aug sept calving, but she has come in earlier every year. Throwing an eye to her since 6 this am, and had meeting around 11 fir 20 mins, and she had calved.Will go higher difficulty this year now. Have with some of the older cows already.

Next year if they keep AI be calving Feb/March.
    I've one more in Aug. I'm supposed to sell them after she calves..

Probbaly no remote working next year so will try hold on to few days for calving If we still at it.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Not sure if I bit the bullet and owned up or not… last heifer calved 2 weeks ago… well the vet calved her out the side. Thing is she’s maybe a month after all the rest and it’s def not a sim calf. I think a big red lim boy came through the March ditch. Our heifers were out on the road and yer man, who is a colleague in school, gave it loads about getting a palin up. I think he was pissed his bull went through the hedge. Anyhow F off spring 2021.
    All in all just lost 2 calves and down in vet calls by 33%

The neighbour could be looking for a %%

tellmeabit wrote: »
    The neighbour could be looking for a %%

A % of what?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭893bet

Last one just calved there. Big calf. Died in birth.

She was in an out field with another late calvers who calved last week. Moved them up closer last night and left them with a few cows and 5-7 month old weanling bulls (mistake 1, too soon to calving to introduce her back into a different group.). She was a little sick last night and I thought she might calf this morning but no go. Father saw a leg poking today but the weanlings had taken a set on her a little and she couldn’t settle. He brought her in but I think this changed her rthym and she didn’t settle down again to start calving. She would push a little when I handled her when I got home from work. Calf was coming the right way so I left her alone and she didn’t progress at all over 2 hours. Didn’t even sit down. Maybe should have moved her to a different paddock rather than into the shed. Put the Jack on (mistake 2 I think, should have left her alone for another few hours). Progress was slow. Too Jack off to try just pulling with rope by hand as I had a feeling she was going to go down (mistake numero 3 I think) She wasn’t pushing and couldn’t move him. Put Jack on. Got stuck at hips. She went down and had to take Jack off. Go him out eventually but he was gone 5 minutes before that.

Bollox.

A stunning Belgian blue bull from STQ. Mother a 3/4 milky LM.

Now I know I should fatten her up and sell her but I really want to keep her. Quiet as a lamb. We are a lightly stocked.

A % of what?

Of the calf. Poor joke.
    Will you keep the girls that had to have the vet operate?

I've a 12 month old zag bull with the cows he'd be small enough. But spotted him bulling 2 of the smaller cows. I have 1 cow calved 3 month and never spotted her bulling. Think he may have nabbed her earlier before I put scratch cards on. Be scanning in Maybe 3 weeks.
    If she was in calf would ye leave it be or give her a shot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭Grueller

I've a 12 month old zag bull with the cows he'd be small enough. But spotted him bulling 2 of the smaller cows. I have 1 cow calved 3 month and never spotted her bulling. Think he may have nabbed her earlier before I put scratch cards on. Be scanning in Maybe 3 weeks.
    If she was in calf would ye leave it be or give her a shot?

I'd leave her be. The calf will be likely shapey enough and easy calved so no need to upset her. Also you will have an early calf so all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭older by the day

893bet wrote: »
    Last one just calved there. Big calf. Died in birth.

She was in an out field with another late calvers who calved last week. Moved them up closer last night and left them with a few cows and 5-7 month old weanling bulls (mistake 1, too soon to calving to introduce her back into a different group.). She was a little sick last night and I thought she might calf this morning but no go. Father saw a leg poking today but the weanlings had taken a set on her a little and she couldn’t settle. He brought her in but I think this changed her rthym and she didn’t settle down again to start calving. She would push a little when I handled her when I got home from work. Calf was coming the right way so I left her alone and she didn’t progress at all over 2 hours. Didn’t even sit down. Maybe should have moved her to a different paddock rather than into the shed. Put the Jack on (mistake 2 I think, should have left her alone for another few hours). Progress was slow. Too Jack off to try just pulling with rope by hand as I had a feeling she was going to go down (mistake numero 3 I think) She wasn’t pushing and couldn’t move him. Put Jack on. Got stuck at hips. She went down and had to take Jack off. Go him out eventually but he was gone 5 minutes before that.

Bollox.

A stunning Belgian blue bull from STQ. Mother a 3/4 milky LM.

Now I know I should fatten her up and sell her but I really want to keep her. Quiet as a lamb. We are a lightly stocked.

Sorry about that it happens us all . I know people say to give a cow plenty of time to open. But your dad should have got the vet to deliver the calf , if you weren't around. If she was starting in pain last night. I see with the late calvers if they are slow a bottle of calcium under the skin helps them. But to be honest if you had a lot of handling and jacking she Will probably repeat a few times and it will be middle of summer 22 before she calves at best, fatten her I think. And as my mom used to say " May God send no greater loss"

Of the calf. Poor joke.
    Will you keep the girls that had to have the vet operate?

Haha sorry I’m too busy being defiant to see the joke!!
    Yea we’re keeping all four. Thinning out some older cows and they’re all doing a right job

Haha sorry I’m too busy being defiant to see the joke!!
    Yea we’re keeping all four. Thinning out some older cows and they’re all doing a right job

Saw my 17 year old bulling few days ago, was very tempted to bull her. Put a scratch card on her few days later. But probably won't bull, she owes the place here nothing.
    Not over happy with some of the 1st or 2nd time calvers this year, not a whole pile milk nor a great calf.. Will see after scanning.
    When would best time to seek a pair unweaned? Won't be able to winter all of them unless I put up something

Saw my 17 year old bulling few days ago, was very tempted to bull her. Put a scratch card on her few days later. But probably won't bull, she owes the place here nothing.
    Not over happy with some of the 1st or 2nd time calvers this year, not a whole pile milk nor a great calf.. Will see after scanning.
    When would best time to seek a pair unweaned? Won't be able to winter all of them unless I put up something

Aw I know lad we had an oul Charolais cow super cow took fellan and still reared great calves but the time came when it wouldn’t be fair on her. Some of our first calvers I was bemused with the milk but they’re doing the job on calves.
    Sorry I don’t understand that last bit? To sell cows without weaning them? If they’re getting a kick of meal they’ll flesh a bit but I’d be thinking let them rear away at calves on good grass and take calves off in august or September when flies are gone. 6 weeks meal and your cows will be ready. I sold a cow a bullock and a heifer 3 weeks ago. Bullock and heifer did well round £1600 but the cow only made £1080 at 720kgs. Oul fresians are coming into £950 or more at that weight so don’t be a fool like me on sale day!

Aw I know lad we had an oul Charolais cow super cow took fellan and still reared great calves but the time came when it wouldn’t be fair on her. Some of our first calvers I was bemused with the milk but they’re doing the job on calves.
    Sorry I don’t understand that last bit? To sell cows without weaning them? If they’re getting a kick of meal they’ll flesh a bit but I’d be thinking let them rear away at calves on good grass and take calves off in august or September when flies are gone. 6 weeks meal and your cows will be ready. I sold a cow a bullock and a heifer 3 weeks ago. Bullock and heifer did well round £1600 but the cow only made £1080 at 720kgs. Oul fresians are coming into £950 or more at that weight so don’t be a fool like me on sale day!
    Ya that's what I was asking. Sell them as a pair or wean and sell separate. Even sell both of them in Aug Sept. I just don't have room for all the animals that I'd like to keep.
    I've bought a bit of silage This week to help with grass later or even have more for over winter. Might try cover old dungstead and see how I go.

Some of the calves aren't great now, kinda down to cow and bull choice maybe. I'll try pick a few and give them a pinch of meal now away from rest of them.
    I'd never do as a real farmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭893bet

Sorry about that it happens us all . I know people say to give a cow plenty of time to open. But your dad should have got the vet to deliver the calf , if you weren't around. If she was starting in pain last night. I see with the late calvers if they are slow a bottle of calcium under the skin helps them. But to be honest if you had a lot of handling and jacking she Will probably repeat a few times and it will be middle of summer 22 before she calves at best, fatten her I think. And as my mom used to say " May God send no greater loss"

I said it myself. Let the ill of the year go with them.

You are 100 percent right to fatten but....might give her a chance to get into calf in the next 7 weeks and if she keeps she keeps if not then she goes.

Not lost a calf in a good few years. Mortality prob at 1-2 percent over all at calving so take it on the chin. Prob lose a lot more of fathers eyes weren’t around during the day. De

Ya that's what I was asking. Sell them as a pair or wean and sell separate. Even sell both of them in Aug Sept. I just don't have room for all the animals that I'd like to keep.
    I've bought a bit of silage This week to help with grass later or even have more for over winter. Might try cover old dungstead and see how I go.

Some of the calves aren't great now, kinda down to cow and bull choice maybe. I'll try pick a few and give them a pinch of meal now away from rest of them.
    I'd never do as a real farmer.

If selling as a pair I’d think have the cows in calf and obviously both looking well. If cows will be culled anyway I’d split them but make sure calves are on meal before coming off the cows.
    Haha aw I’d say you’d be alright

[
    quote="893bet;117457511"]I said it myself. Let the ill of the year go with them.

You are 100 percent right to fatten but....might give her a chance to get into calf in the next 7 weeks and if she keeps she keeps if not then she goes.

Not lost a calf in a good few years. Mortality prob at 1-2 percent over all at calving so take it on the chin. Prob lose a lot more of fathers eyes weren’t around during the day. De[/quote]

I'd one last a calf last year. She was around on day 42 and kept

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,186 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Base price wrote: »
    Last one calved this morning. A shx heifer that went through 2 ditches then on a road trip for about a mile and through another ditch to a neighbours Hereford bull last September. She had a massive bull calf and only for the help of another neighbour there was no way I would have got it out. They are both ok, the heifer was a bit paralysed for a while and the calves legs were sore, I gave him 3 litres of thawed colostrum but he sucked on his own this evening. I phoned the Vet after she had calved and they recommended we give the calf 2mls of dexameth which seemed to have helped him.
    So hopefully that's the calving finished for this year.
    Edit to add that I will throw up a pic tomorrow.
    Pic of the calf

Advertisement