Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB 2016 Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

N Syndergaard threw 14 Fast Balls in the 1st 2 Innings last night

they measured

100,100,101,101,100,101,99,100,101,100,101,100,100 and 101 on the radar gun

:eek::eek::eek:

(Tweeted by Jayson Stark)

He also brands his catchers.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/69895/noah-syndergaard-throws-so-hard-he-leaves-marks-on-his-catcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Is Storen the full time closer for Toronto? If so, there'll be plenty of Blue Jay fans tearing their hair out before the season ends. He can be very shaky.

No set-up to Osuna normally.

mod9maple wrote: »
    No set-up to Osuna normally.

Lucky for you eh? Are you nervous when he gets the ball?

LOL at the home base umpire in the Jays - Orioles game, horrendous.

From RealGM forum...:D

So you want to be an Umpire?

Question 1. Is your physique Adonis or Sandoval?
    If Adonis - Proceed to Question 4
    If Sandoval - Proceed to Question 2

Question 2. Are you blind?
    If Yes - You are hired
    If No - Proceed to Question 3

Question 3. Can you shut your eyes and pretend?
    If Yes - You are hired
    If No - Proceed to Question 4

Question 4. Do you have an unwavering temper and desire to be right regardless of circumstance?
    If Yes - Proceed to MiLB for additional training
    If No - Thank you for your consideration

• Advertisement

Nice early game to watch today with the Cardinals playing the Cubs. No such thing as a must win game in April but I'm sure the Cardinals won't want to be swept in the first series of the year, especially after all the hype In the off-season of the Cubs taking over as the favourites in the NLC.

Tbh I put some of the blame on Thole. His sole reason for being there is to catch Dickey and, this season at least, he hasn't done a great job! Sss of course.

Bad ending for Thole in last night's game too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Here's an interesting stat for Mets fans - and undermines perhaps my previous dissing of their hitting:

This time last year Mets OPS was .691. After last night it is .745.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Here's an interesting stat for Mets fans - and undermines perhaps my previous dissing of their hitting:

This time last year Mets OPS was .691. After last night it is .745.

I don't buy into any stats in April. I know I was joking about the Mets hitting last week too but in reality I knew it was just a slow start. Just like this week they've been hot which probably won't be maintained either. Give it until May at least before reaching any conclusions is my thinking.

Obviously it is a moveable feast! However, after 15 games patterns do begin to emerge and are reasonably good guides for betting purposes in a sizeable number of match ups, whatever about forecasting eventual winners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Bryce Harper might be the best player in baseball right now.

Obviously it is a moveable feast! However, after 15 games patterns do begin to emerge and are reasonably good guides for betting purposes in a sizeable number of match ups, whatever about forecasting eventual winners.

Are you betting much on baseball this season out of interest?

8-10 wrote: »

Might...????

Is there any doubt?

I know nothing about gambling or betting lines so can't comment on that but I don't agree with patterns being established after only 15 games. Daniel Murphy is hitting .425 and Neil Walker has 6 HRs so far. They are not going to keep up that pace. And likewise for teams, especially with the unbalanced schedules so far. I don't think you can get a realistic pattern of how things will play out.

Lucky for you eh? Are you nervous when he gets the ball?

There have been a few heart in mouth moments alright.

8-10 wrote:

Not much doubt really. Donaldson and a handful of others would be coming in behind him.

Not much doubt really. Donaldson and a handful of others would be coming in behind him.

I worded it badly. I mean overall the best, I didn't mean on current form he's the best - that part is obvious.

I worded it badly. I mean overall the best, I didn't mean on current form he's the best - that part is obvious.

His at-bats are must watch TV at the moment. I'm watching the Braves/Dodgers game at the moment but had to switch over when I saw he was due up. Ok, he struck out this time you can't expect him to homer every time (or can we...!!!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

So would you throw a fortune at Harper now??

I'd give him whatever he wanted

• Advertisement

Are you betting much on baseball this season out of interest?

Only started on Monday for this season so not too many bets so far. Only bet when all my boxes are ticked. I win overall but on very small margins.

Good game just finished between Dodgers and Atlanta. Reckon Dodgers were robbed on call earlier on that would have won it for them in 6th.

Might back Cubs later if nothing interesting jumps out from the basketball.

I know nothing about gambling or betting lines so can't comment on that but I don't agree with patterns being established after only 15 games. Daniel Murphy is hitting .425 and Neil Walker has 6 HRs so far. They are not going to keep up that pace. And likewise for teams, especially with the unbalanced schedules so far. I don't think you can get a realistic pattern of how things will play out.

Team OPS and ERA don't change much once the season settles down, but you are correct that it is May before there are definite long term patterns, and then they can change with trades, injuries and just bad streaks.

As with everything, stats are only a guide not a prediction - unfortunately :)

Cub 16-0 and Arietta no-hitter:eek:

Jays in another close game, leaving run on bases early on, down 3-2 bot 8th now.

Cub 16-0 and Arietta no-hitter:eek:

I'd love to know what he was thinking as the Cubs were adding 4 runs in the 9th leaving him to wait even longer than usual to get out and finish it off.

Pitching has gotten off to a great start this season, we're probably due a perfect game or at least a couple of more no-nos.

First day of the season I think without a day game. Our good run has come to an end

https://twitter.com/reds/status/723340565807435777

Edit - Hopefully this works. Either head in the sand stuff or complete optimism.

So would you throw a fortune at Harper now??

I'd give him whatever he wanted

Yes, definitely. Back up the money truck to his house and let him take whatever he wants

First day of the season I think without a day game. Our good run has come to an end

Sorry...im going to the Jays game tonight, then the game tomorrow for a friends birthday party and then the game Monday with work...I love living in Toronto:P

Sorry...im going to the Jays game tonight, then the game tomorrow for a friends birthday party and then the game Monday with work...I love living in Toronto:P

Ah come on. Don't be rubbing it in

(enjoy the games though!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Has someone been caught for PED's today??

Friend of mine text me saying there has but I'm too busy to check online..

Advertisement