Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MLB: 2013 Pre-Season Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Coeus wrote: »
    Yea, I agree! Wouldn't bringing back Cody Ross been a lot cheaper than signing Victorino. I guess the RedSox management are trying to cobble to together some kind of competative team so the fans keep coming and the sellout streak goes on...

That said on the pitching side of things I'm not sure any of the top free agent pitchers are a good fit for Boston so maybe thats the reason no moves have been made on that front. I think they are better off trading for pitching help, the Rays are would be sellers but any moves there will cost prospects...

To say I'm not a fan of these 2 signings would be an understatement.

Bringing back Cody Ross and playing our Prospects would have been an infinitely better idea than signing and overpaying for Victorino.

Napoli, is another that I'm iffy about. On one hand, he certainly brings power to the right-side of the bat in our line-up, but at the same time, he also tends to strike alot and often gets injured. Not to mention, we already got 3 Catchers including Salty. If we are going to play him in 1B, then we should have gone for a natural one like Adam LaRoche, but if we play him as catcher, then that means Salty is going. And I like Salty... :(

As for Ellsbury, I'm already resigned to the fact, that we're losing him. I think we are going to trade him for either a Starting Pitcher or a Pitching Prospect.

Hope we don't sign Hamilton. Last thing we need is another Overprice Player with alot of baggage and issues. But considering the kind of deals we're going for, I'm not holding my breath. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

I like the addition of Victorino and Napoli a lot, it beefs up their line up.
    Get Ellsbury back to what he is capable of and Ortiz and Pedroia hit some form and the Red Sox offense will be great.
    However, they lack depth. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Red_Sox#Current_roster

But the pitching is a major concern. I think Coeus is right, in that the market of FA pitchers might not suit them and will end up trading.

Salty is being traded for sure. I think Napoli is being used as a catcher primarily and Ross is excellent cover. With Lavernway being a young prospect, Salty is the odd one out. But you won't get a decent pitcher for Salty....

How many pitchers do people think Boston need?

I like the addition of Victorino and Napoli a lot, it beefs up their line up.
    Get Ellsbury back to what he is capable of and Ortiz and Pedroia hit some form and the Red Sox offense will be great.
    However, they lack depth. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Red_Sox#Current_roster

But the pitching is a major concern. I think Coeus is right, in that the market of FA pitchers might not suit them and will end up trading.

Salty is being traded for sure. I think Napoli is being used as a catcher primarily and Ross is excellent cover. With Lavernway being a young prospect, Salty is the odd one out. But you won't get a decent pitcher for Salty....

How many pitchers do people think Boston need?

We currently have 3 Ok Pitchers, namely Lester, Buchholz and Doubront. Though Good, none of them can be called an Ace, though Lester is probably the closest one we've got.

And then of course, we've got John Lackey. If Liverpool has Joe Cole, then Boston got Lackey. How in the flying fcuk, this guy got a 16 million+ a year contract? I will never know. One thing is for sure, the less Lackey Pitch for us, the better it will be for Boston. It is as simple as that.

Ideally, we need 2 Starting Pitcher. 1 Pitcher who can be 1-3 and another to become a solid 4 or 5. Realistically, we'll probably get overpay 1 middle-of-the-road Pitcher, who'll pitch either as our 3 or 4, then the last slot will probably be down to a combi of Lackey/P Prospects. Hope it's Sanchez since he's Young, not to mention he came from Boston. So it's time to get him back.

If I were Boston, I'd get Sanchez as a viable starting Pitcher then LaRoche to play 1B, so we can play Napoli at C. Then get the best Pitcher we can get from Ellsbury/Salty combo trade deal. That's probably the best we can do at this point, since the current Free Agency Class is probably the weakest I've seen in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Looks like the Reds have locked up Ryan Ludwick for another 2 years. Good choice for him, his career almost died when he went to the big ballpark in San Diego, his HR numbers shot right back up last season in Cincinnati. That just leaves their leadoff/CF issues to be resolved. Rumours are that they have initiated talks with Colorado for Dexter Fowler. Scott Rolen hasn't decided whether or not he will be playing next season but I think that even if he does he will be a bench player.

Right now their opening day lineup would probably be.

Brandon Phillips 2B
    Zach Cozart SS
    Joey Votto 1B
    Ryan Ludwick LF
    Jay Bruce RF
    Todd Frazier 3B
    Drew Stubbs CF
    Ryan Hanigan C
    Pitcher Spot.

Starting Rotation

Johnny Cueto
    Mat Latos
    Bronson Arroyo
    Homer Bailey
    Aroldis Chapman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Brandon Phillips 2B
    Zach Cozart SS
    Joey Votto 1B
    Ryan Ludwick LF
    Jay Bruce RF
    Todd Frazier 3B
    Drew Stubbs CF
    Ryan Hanigan C
    Pitcher Spot.

Well that just goes to show how out of the loop I am when it comes to the NL - I only recognise two players, Votto and Phillips. But then I don't check NL scores or highlights, and only see some NL players in Inter-league play. Anyone else only follow their team's league, or do you guys keep your eye on both?

As for the rotation, would they not keep Chapman in the bullpen? Hasn't he control issues?

mod9maple wrote: »
    Well that just goes to show how out of the loop I am when it comes to the NL - I only recognise two players, Votto and Phillips. But then I don't check NL scores or highlights, and only see some NL players in Inter-league play. Anyone else only follow their team's league, or do you guys keep your eye on both?

As for the rotation, would they not keep Chapman in the bullpen? Hasn't he control issues?

All indications are that they intend to move him to the rotation.....their main reason being that he's earning starter money.

Don't really agree with the move......they have potentially the best closer in baseball, and moving him to the rotation he would be an average starter (there's a big difference between throwing 100mph+ 20 times a night and trying to do it 60 times) His control issues have improved, they seemed to be a fatigue issue when he pitched 3 nights in a row, which is another reason behind moving him to the rotation.

They've re-signed Jonathon Broxton, who will most likely be the closer if Chapman does move to the rotation. My wife and I met him yesterday at Redsfest, he is a huge guy.

As for following teams in the other leagues, I tend to keep a close eye on the overall movements in baseball, but now that I'm living in the US, that's much easier to do. I'm not surprised that you haven't heard of many of the Reds players, unfortunately they don't get much TV attention because they are a small market team, even though they won their division 2 of the last 3 years and had the 2nd best record in baseball in 2012 (97-65)

297607_10151332294486203_731384266_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

With interleague play every day next season you'll probably find yourself watching more NL teams than before.

Why have you no interest in the NL by the way? I just love baseball and would watch any game I can (proof: Honeymoon in Hawaii - dragged the wife along to a Winter league game between the Honolulu Sharks and Waikiki Beach Boys. Great stuff!).

All indications are that they intend to move him to the rotation.....their main reason being that he's earning starter money.

Don't really agree with the move......they have potentially the best closer in baseball, and moving him to the rotation he would be an average starter (there's a big difference between throwing 100mph+ 20 times a night and trying to do it 60 times) His control issues have improved, they seemed to be a fatigue issue when he pitched 3 nights in a row, which is another reason behind moving him to the rotation.

They've re-signed Jonathon Broxton, who will most likely be the closer if Chapman does move to the rotation. My wife and I met him yesterday at Redsfest, he is a huge guy.

As for following teams in the other leagues, I tend to keep a close eye on the overall movements in baseball, but now that I'm living in the US, that's much easier to do. I'm not surprised that you haven't heard of many of the Reds players, unfortunately they don't get much TV attention because they are a small market team, even though they won their division 2 of the last 3 years and had the 2nd best record in baseball in 2012 (97-65)

Cool picture!

Cool picture!

We may not have the most successful team in cincinnati, but we are probably the best treated fans in baseball.

Just before christmas every year, the Reds run a two day fan convention with autograph and photos sessions all day long with former, current and future reds stars. You'll get more autographs in an hour there than in a whole season of hanging around by the bullpen or dugout during warmups at games.

We also get to see the lighter side of players, like Mat Latos singing Justin Bieber songs to get bonus points while playing "Name that tune" on the mainstage.......or finishing out the evening with the Bronson Arroyo country concert. We may or may not have stalked Ryan Hanigan (My wife's favourite player) She was first in line to get a photo with him, and when we learned that his autograph line was already packed, we snuck out into the hallway between where the photos and autographs taking place and got the autographs as he moved places.

47292_10151332295406203_1966464171_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

So Zach Greinke got his payday, the Dodgers overpaid on that front.

Speaking of overpaying I think the Royal have been had by the Rays in the Shields/Davis for prospects trade...

Speaking of overpaying I think the Royal have been had by the Rays in the Shields/Davis for prospects trade...

Yeah, it looks that way. Wil Myers is one of, if not the best outfield prospect so to give him up means they really were desperate for pitching. Just a pity the Mets didn't trick them into taking Dickey for him

Yeah, it looks that way. Wil Myers is one of, if not the best outfield prospect so to give him up means they really were desperate for pitching. Just a pity the Mets didn't trick them into taking Dickey for him

Similarities to the Reds-Padres trade, sending Yonder Alonso and Yasmani Grandal (Ranked 1st and 4th among the Reds prostpects at the time) for Mat Latos.

Alonso was blocked at first base by Votto, and Grandal was 1 of 2 catching prospects for the Reds (who will start this season with a 50 game suspension)

It looked like the Reds gave up a whole lot, but after just one season, they seem to have benefited more.

Similarities to the Reds-Padres trade, sending Yonder Alonso and Yasmani Grandal (Ranked 1st and 4th among the Reds prostpects at the time) for Mat Latos.

Alonso was blocked at first base by Votto, and Grandal was 1 of 2 catching prospects for the Reds (who will start this season with a 50 game suspension)

It looked like the Reds gave up a whole lot, but after just one season, they seem to have benefited more.
    Didn't the Reds get 4 years control of Latos? And were much closer to contending, having been in the playoffs the year before. The Royals will have to find a way to get past the Tigers who still have a better starting rotation and batting lineup...

While I agree the Royals had to make such a move, they needed to get more in return for Myers/prospects or give up less to get Shields.

Anyone ever go to spring training?
    Are there only 2 options? Cactus or Grapefruit League?

I was at a game once back when I was a kid when the family went to Orlando for a holiday. It was more by accident than anything that I ended up at a game. I was only 12 (25+ years ago now) and and there was a theme park called 'Boardwalk and Baseball' that combined roller coasters with baseball themed stuff and one of the MLB teams had their spring training base there. I can't even remember which teams i saw but I think it might have been Kansas City and Cincinnati but I could be wrong. Anyway there was about 5 people in the crowd and I hadn't a clue what was going on so i left after about 10 minutes and went back to the roller coasters. Spring training has come a long way since then with teams actively promoting their schedules and luring people into taking trips to see the games.

As for your other questions, yeah there are only the 2 leagues with the Arizona one growing and more and more teams moving out that way. Apparently the stadiums are fairly close to each other there so teams don't spend hours travelling to games. In Florida they seem to be split into east Florida and west Florida teams so the choice of opposition is limited. The Mets, for example sem to play the same 3-4 teams about 5 times each whereas in Arizona you can get more variety

• Advertisement

Cactus league is quickly leaving the grapefruit league in the dust. Many of the grapefruit league facilities are decades old. The cactus league facilities are much newer and developed with fans in mind, going to games is the same in both leagues, but the practice facilities are much more fan friendly if you want to see some of the workout (which gives you the best autograph chances)

As a contrast, the Yankees are still in florida, they have their gameday field, 2 full size practice fields and their gym.

The Reds in Arizona have their gameday field, their practice fields are shared with the Indians BUT, there's 12 full sized fields (one is the exact same dimensions as Great American Ballpark), 4 infield only fields, covered pitching lanes, a full clubhouse and gym. All of the fields have concourses with plenty of space around them for fans to watch whats going on.

Nice one guys! Thanks!

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page linked below you'll see the final tables from the two leagues from earlier this year.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/standings/exhibition.jsp?ymd=20121003

All teams will give you info and promotion offers on their schedules. This is the Blue Jays' for next year as one example:

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/spring_training/home.jsp?c_id=tor

If you want an idea of the difference......lookup Cincinnati Reds, South Wood Blvd, Goodyear, AZ and New York Yankees, 1 Steinbrenner Drive, Tampa, FL on google maps.

Looks like the Reds have locked up Ryan Ludwick for another 2 years. Good choice for him, his career almost died when he went to the big ballpark in San Diego, his HR numbers shot right back up last season in Cincinnati. That just leaves their leadoff/CF issues to be resolved. Rumours are that they have initiated talks with Colorado for Dexter Fowler. Scott Rolen hasn't decided whether or not he will be playing next season but I think that even if he does he will be a bench player.

Right now their opening day lineup would probably be.

Brandon Phillips 2B
    Zach Cozart SS
    Joey Votto 1B
    Ryan Ludwick LF
    Jay Bruce RF
    Todd Frazier 3B
    Drew Stubbs CF
    Ryan Hanigan C
    Pitcher Spot.

Starting Rotation

Johnny Cueto
    Mat Latos
    Bronson Arroyo
    Homer Bailey
    Aroldis Chapman

Quoting my own post....but I'm a giggly excited fan......Reds lineup just got remarkable better.

Shin Soo-Choo CF
    Brandon Phillips 2B
    Joey Votto 1B
    Ryan Ludwick LF
    Jay Bruce RF
    Todd Frazier 3B
    Zach Cozart SS
    Ryan Hanigan C
    Pitcher

• Advertisement

Quoting my own post....but I'm a giggly excited fan......Reds lineup just got remarkable better.

Shin Soo-Choo CF
    Looks like ye guys and Indians did well out of this trade but what was Arizona thinking...

Coeus......Dbacks have been looking for a long term SS for a while now, Gregorius, apart from having an awesome name, is ready defensively to be an above average everyday MLB SS......offensively he's nearly there, he has a sweet swing, just needs to work on pitch selection.

Good news for the Dbacks is he's only 22 (23 by spring training) and already has 5 season in the minors, and the Dbacks have him under control for 6 years. He has the potential to turn into the face of that team.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=24515793&topic_id=6479266&c_id=mlb&tcid=vpp_copy_24515793&v=3

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=25493939&topic_id=&c_id=mlb&tcid=vpp_copy_25493939&v=3

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=20139029&topic_id=&c_id=mlb&tcid=vpp_copy_20139029&v=3

Coeus......Dbacks have been looking for a long term SS for a while now, Gregorius, apart from having an awesome name, is ready defensively to be an above average everyday MLB SS......offensively he's nearly there, he has a sweet swing, just needs to work on pitch selection.

Good news for the Dbacks is he's only 22 (23 by spring training) and already has 5 season in the minors, and the Dbacks have him under control for 6 years. He has the potential to turn into the face of that team.
    To be honest I know nothing of Gregorius but my surprise is that Asdrubal was not in the package for Bauer. They really sold low on the guy...

To be honest I know nothing of Gregorius but my surprise is that Asdrubal was not in the package for Bauer. They really sold low on the guy...

That's where the years of control comes in, Cabrera will be a FA in 2015 and if he keeps playing like he is now, will probably be subject to a bidding war that Arizona can't win......they weren't going to give up their top prospect for a shortstop for 2 years. Gregorius won't be a FA until 2019

Listening to podcasts from last year, it seemed like Bauer was going to the future along with the other Dbacks pitching prospects... but sometime last season his attitude got bad (maybe he's always had a bad attitude).

So much so, that the Dbacks were willing to sell low on him?

Maybe rockonollie is right and they are getting a sh1t hot SS in the long run...

Bauer will probably be very good, but reports are that he's butted heads with management, coaches and catchers......which doesn't bode well.

I saw him pitch in Cincinnati this summer, his warm up takes about 2 hours and involves throwing from one foul pole to the other.

As for Gregorius, there's no doubt about his fielding ability.....just needs the bat to catch up, that said, he batted an even .300 as a september call-up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Any opinions on Youk to the Yankees?

MoyVilla9 wrote: »

....one year for $12m, just like every other deal the Yankees have done this offseason. I suppose it's all part of the plan to get under the salary cap for next season.

That's where the years of control comes in, Cabrera will be a FA in 2015 and if he keeps playing like he is now, will probably be subject to a bidding war that Arizona can't win......they weren't going to give up their top prospect for a shortstop for 2 years. Gregorius won't be a FA until 2019
    Apparently the Indians wanted Bauer and Tyler Skaggs for Asdrubal, that was never going to happen...
    As for Gregorius, there's no doubt about his fielding ability.....just needs the bat to catch up, that said, he batted an even .300 as a september call-up
    Good defensive shortstops can be hard to come by so maybe Arizona decided to cut their loses with Bauer and get a guy they like to fill a need...

Fills a need.....with Arod out for at least the first 2-3 months of the season, they needed a solid hitting 3B, they have that in Youk. After Arod comes back, he and Youk are interchangeable at 3B/DH which will also help to preserve Arod's health.

Good deal seeing as Youk turned down $13m from the Red Sox a couple of weeks ago.

• Advertisement

Time to run and hide? Or another season of a high price team going bust.

Projected Angels lineup

CF Trout
    3B Callaspo
    1B Pujols
    RF Hamilton
    LF Trumbo
    2B Kendrick
    DH Morales
    C Iannetta
    SS Aybar

Projected Angels lineup

CF Trout
    3B Callaspo
    1B Pujols
    RF Hamilton
    LF Trumbo
    2B Kendrick
    DH Morales
    C Iannetta
    SS Aybar

I hope it works out for him in LA. He seems like a decent enough bloke so I hope he continues to hit.

Having said that, it'll be interesting in year 5 to see how he and Albert are hitting.

I hope it works out for him in LA. He seems like a decent enough bloke so I hope he continues to hit.

Well I just bought my tickets for opening night in Cincinnati.....can't make opening day this season, so I guess I'll have te settle for his second game with the Angels.

Projected Angels lineup

CF Trout
    3B Callaspo
    1B Pujols
    RF Hamilton
    LF Trumbo
    2B Kendrick
    DH Morales
    C Iannetta
    SS Aybar

I actually like your line-up. Hell, I'd trade Red Sox's painfully average one for yours. But for some reason, your Manager cannot seem to get the most out of them.

At the start of the 2011-2012 Season, your Team was picked as the favorites to win the World Series and you didn't even make the playoffs. :p

Before doing any Trades, I think you should change your Manager first.

After Hamilton signing earlier, it looks Anibal Sanchez may be on his way to the Cubs...and I thought they were in full-on rebuild mode...

I actually like your line-up. Hell, I'd trade Red Sox's painfully average one for yours. But for some reason, your Manager cannot seem to get the most out of them.

At the start of the 2011-2012 Season, your Team was picked as the favorites to win the World Series and you didn't even make the playoffs. :p

Before doing any Trades, I think you should change your Manager first.

Just to avoid confusion and accusations.....Angels are not my team.....I'm a Reds fan through and through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

After Hamilton signing earlier, it looks Anibal Sanchez may be on his way to the Cubs...and I thought they were in full-on rebuild mode...

It certainly looked that way, but he just signed a 5 year deal with the Tigers.

Dickey is very very close to going to Toronto, believed to just be talking extension at the moment. Some rotation if it works out.

Dickey
    Johnson
    Buehrle
    Morrow
    Romero

Dickey is very very close to going to Toronto, believed to just be talking extension at the moment. Some rotation if it works out.

Dickey
    Johnson
    Buehrle
    Morrow
    Romero

What about the guys they'd be giving up? Obviously as a Mets fan I'd love to see some good prospects coming the other way but not knowing too much about Toronto's farm system the names being mentioned mean nothing to me. Ae they major league ready?

• Advertisement

What about the guys they'd be giving up? Obviously as a Mets fan I'd love to see some good prospects coming the other way but not knowing too much about Toronto's farm system the names being mentioned mean nothing to me. Ae they major league ready?
    They have catching prospects so ye should be looking for d'Arnaud. If ye got an outfielder or an arm aswell that wouldn't be a bad return...

I can't see AA giving up Gose and D'Arnaud both, so if they trade D'Arnaud it'll Sierra with him, or if Gose then Arencibia. Another prospect might go with either pair but who we don't know. Gose and Sierra have limited major league experience and imo need at least another year in AAA. Arencibia is definitely major league ready having 2 full seasons with the Jays. D'Arnaud has yet to play in the majors but is a top-rated prospect. Gose has amazing speed, and is great in centre field. His bat needs work. Arencibia can hit for power, and his catching has improved of late. Sierra? Meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

So R.A. probably has one or two good years left in him. I know he is a knuckleball pitcher, but he throws it hard. That will fall off, but to give up a 20 game winner after giving David Wright $140 million? I'm indecisive if it's a good move by the Mets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

So R.A. probably has one or two good years left in him. I know he is a knuckleball pitcher, but he throws it hard. That will fall off, but to give up a 20 game winner after giving David Wright $140 million? I'm indecisive if it's a good move by the Mets.

If it's d'Arnaud then it's a no brainer for the Mets. We're talking potential top 3 catcher here - They are very hard to come by. As a Jays fan I don't like it one bit, especially if there isn't a contract extension built into deal. The Jays rotation is good enough right now imo.

Footoo wrote: »
    If it's d'Arnaud then it's a no brainer for the Mets. We're talking potential top 3 catcher here - They are very hard to come by. As a Jays fan I don't like it one bit, especially if there isn't a contract extension built into deal. The Jays rotation is good enough right now imo.

d'Arnaud straight up for Dickey, no extension isn't happening. AA the ninja is too good to allow that!

I realize that D'Arnaud is untried but it is ridiculous to give up such a talent for a knuckleballer who is 38? and let's be honest one good season ?
    I'd have chased someone like Anibal Sanchez rather than Dickey

• Advertisement

As a Mets fan I'm torn here with this trade. On one side, a Cy Young winner is being given up and by giving up the opening day starter for 2013, does that show the team's ambitions for next season? But on the other, although he's young for a knuckleballer, he's still 38 and there has to be some doubts of whether he can pitch as well again for the next 2-3 years as he has the last 2.

Ever since the season ended of gone from one side to the other and back on this but I'm just going to trust Sandy Alderson on this one. He's always said he was aiming for 2014 so hopefully this is all part of the plan. Only time will tell whether he's a genius for not giving him the years/money he wanted or whether he's a fool for letting the Mets best pitcher walk out.

The sad thing is that as well as being a great pitcher, RA is a really nice guy and you could listen to him being interviewed all day so I'm going to miss him as a Met (his book's a great read by the way). But I wish him well and hope it all works out for him in Toronto and it looks like I'll be rooting for the Blue Jays in the AL East next season (I can now also cheer for Reyes again now that he's out of Miami!).

As i said in a previous post, I don't know much about Toronto's farm system but I found this nice link which grades the players in the system so at least I can see what the Mets are getting back and whether they're any use

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/12/5/3731258/toronto-blue-jays-top-20-prospects-for-2013

As a Mets fan I'm torn here with this trade. On one side, a Cy Young winner is being given up and by giving up the opening day starter for 2013, does that show the team's ambitions for next season? But on the other, although he's young for a knuckleballer, he's still 38 and there has to be some doubts of whether he can pitch as well again for the next 2-3 years as he has the last 2.

Ever since the season ended of gone from one side to the other and back on this but I'm just going to trust Sandy Alderson on this one. He's always said he was aiming for 2014 so hopefully this is all part of the plan. Only time will tell whether he's a genius for not giving him the years/money he wanted or whether he's a fool for letting the Mets best pitcher walk out.

The sad thing is that as well as being a great pitcher, RA is a really nice guy and you could listen to him being interviewed all day so I'm going to miss him as a Met (his book's a great read by the way). But I wish him well and hope it all works out for him in Toronto and it looks like I'll be rooting for the Blue Jays in the AL East next season (I can now also cheer for Reyes again now that he's out of Miami!).

As i said in a previous post, I don't know much about Toronto's farm system but I found this nice link which grades the players in the system so at least I can see what the Mets are getting back and whether they're any use

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/12/5/3731258/toronto-blue-jays-top-20-prospects-for-2013

I like this trade. Specially in the light that your GM is targeting 2014. Dickey is good in 2011-2012, but how will he fare in 2012-2013? And for the money he is asking, I'd take my chances on a Bright Young Prospect.

I've never heard of Travis d'Arnaud, but looking at his stats, it's really good. Really good for a Baseball Player, but really special for a Catcher.

Your GM has a vision, and I'm glad he has the balls to stick to it. Hopefully he can fulfill his vision, and stick one to the Yankees. It's high time the Little Brother, one ups the Older One. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement