Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Oat23 wrote: »
    Was able to find a place today locally stocking Broil Kings and it looks like a solid BBQ. I think I'm going with that now.

I completely forgot to ask if Broil King include the regulator & hose or if I will need to buy that myself! Did yours include the regulator & hose?

As a matter of interest... Have u a shed to park it up in over the winter??? Just wondering for that price would u be leaving it out in the elements ???

• Registered Users Posts: 15,184 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Masala wrote: »
    As a matter of interest... Have u a shed to park it up in over the winter??? Just wondering for that price would u be leaving it out in the elements ???

It'll be outside year round because I plan to use it year round, but it will be in a sheltered area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

Oat23 wrote: »
    Did yours include the regulator & hose?
    Yes it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

Ah jasus, if i bring home another one she will bate me. :D

• Advertisement

oleras wrote: »
    Ah jasus, if i bring home another one she will bate me. :D

ha ha,
    "who the **** needs 3 bbqs" is what mine said:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

ha ha, "who the **** needs 3 bbqs" is what mine said

I've 4 and have been trying to convince her I need a 5th... I've yet to succeed

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Aldi have a smoker in next week.

Aldi have a smoker in next week.

Would this be worth getting for a first smoker or should I spend a bit more for something else?

SmallBalls wrote: »
    Would this be worth getting for a first smoker or should I spend a bit more for something else?

I'm wondering the same myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I'm wondering the same myself.

At that price probably worth a punt...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

SmallBalls wrote: »

I wouldn't. Buy a 57cm Weber kettle. You'll never regret it.

I did plenty of smoking on my kettle before I got my smokey mountain....... my 4th bbq. Bought for me as a Christmas present by my wife, what a woman.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭Shred

I have to agree, I love my 57cm master touch.

They've also just launched their new 'Summit' charcoal BBQ: https://www.weberbbq.co.uk/introducing-summit-charcoal/

It's a crossover between BBQ and smoker and it looks great imo, don't yet know how much it'll be or when exactly it'll be available to buy though.

Shred wrote: »
    I have to agree, I love my 57cm master touch.

They've also just launched their new 'Summit' charcoal BBQ: https://www.weberbbq.co.uk/introducing-summit-charcoal/

It's a crossover between BBQ and smoker and it looks great imo, don't yet know how much it'll be or when exactly it'll be available to buy though.

Starts at $1400 in the states, top end one is over $2k! Mad money.. It'll prob be similar in € by the time it gets here.

I think the weber 57cm is all the BBQ anyone needs.. well, unless u need lots of BBQ's

unklerosco wrote: »
    Starts at $1400 in the states, top end one is over $2k! Mad money.. It'll prob be similar in € by the time it gets here.

I think the weber 57cm is all the BBQ anyone needs.. well, unless u need lots of BBQ's

Anyone think it'd be an interesting excise to list their equipment and what they primarily use it for? It could answer a lot of questions for people considering purchases

they/them/theirs

Weber Mastertouch 57cm - I use it for nearly every BBQ I do and always when cooking for myself/kids etc.
    Weber One Touch 57cm - I use it when I want to cook something at a different temp or need more space.
    Weber Summit 650 - I use this for large BBQ's when family are over etc. or if I want to do something quick. Also use it for rotisserie chickens etc. (can do two at a time)
    Weber Smokey Mountain 47cm - I use this for low n slow, ribs, pork, chicken etc.

Of all the BBQ's I have the Mastertouch is the one I use the most, would I buy it over the One Touch.. Not at full price, I got it for the same price as the one touch at the time. Charcoal v Gas.. I think both have their place, Gas is dead handy if you want to do something last min. I've had times when I've had all the BBQ's going at the same time and the gas is great for the staples of wings, sausages, burgers... I'd keep the charcoal for the bigger meats. One thing I will say is Weber BBQ's ain't cheap but they last, my one touch and summit are second hand and my dad has a one touch that's around 15 yrs old.. The really do last and their support is excellent along with a huge spare parts inventory..

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

Large big green egg. Extremely versatile but not cheap. Use it for smoking, BBQ food (both direct and indirect) and pizza oven.
    Weber q100 gas BBQ. Retired for now but will still use it in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭Shred

unklerosco wrote: »

Holy crap! :eek:

Just on the 57CM Master Touch - Woodies do 10% off for OAPs on Thursdays which meant I got mine (without being an OAP :P) for €297 last May. TBF, you can probably negotiate a 10% discount in any retailer if you're willing to try.

It's definitely worth spending the money though, I find it an incredibly versatile piece of kit having done legs of Lamb, Pork Belly, roast Chickens, Fajitas, Quesadillas, all types of Burgers, Kebabs, Steaks, Chicken Wings, Ribs etc on it. I'll probably pick up a smoker this year too though.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭fitz

Kamado Joe Classic - got it recently, and have smoked pork shoulder and ribs, roasted beef and chicken legs, baked bread, charred broccoli, seared steak, cooked pizzas....it's really versatile. Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I recently bought a 4 burner gas bbq - nothing fancy, my first go at it. http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/montana-4-burner-black-gas-bbq---collect-in-store-309870

Ive read somewhere that a gas bbq can be made charcoal-esque buy adding lava rocks. Does anyone know whats involved, and if it can be done on any gas bbq?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I recently bought a 4 burner gas bbq - nothing fancy, my first go at it. http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/montana-4-burner-black-gas-bbq---collect-in-store-309870

Ive read somewhere that a gas bbq can be made charcoal-esque buy adding lava rocks. Does anyone know whats involved, and if it can be done on any gas bbq?

I have a gas bbq too and have lava rocks in it. It's not necessary but I find it adds to the flavour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

That looks excellent value relative to the 3 burner available in Lidl ATM - http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=39240

I just lashed out €500 on one of these http://www.broilkingbbq.com/en_gb/grills/royal/royal_320 and now I'm thinking - why????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

faceman wrote: »
    I have a gas bbq too and have lava rocks in it. It's not necessary but I find it adds to the flavour.

Whats involved? Is it a sheet that just goes on top of the burner, or is some kind of adapter needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

The Homestore & More BBQ sale should be starting in a few weeks so may be worth checking out.

The past 2 years they had a 50% off sale on all their Mastercook range. Think the sale started towards the end of May.

I got the Classic 400 for €198 and am really happy with it.

055914_large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Looks like the Homestore sale has started! See Bargain Alerts

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Whats involved? Is it a sheet that just goes on top of the burner, or is some kind of adapter needed?

I picked up a bag of loose rocks in one of the stores. I just placed them around the base of the bbq and the burner.

I just lashed out €500 on one of these http://www.broilkingbbq.com/en_gb/grills/royal/royal_320 and now I'm thinking - why????

Cause in a couple of years yours will still look and work as new and will hold temp far better than the cheap ones.

In chronological order:

Weber kettle, compact 57cm. Bought in summer 2011. Used for everything when I first got it. The first bbq I ever smoked on. I've done everything from whole fish to pork shoulder for pulled pork. If I was forced to only have one bbq it would be this. These days it's mainly used for things that require indirect med-high heat, such as smoked chicken legs, jerk chicken, whole smoked chicken etc. . But if it's already lit to do this I am happy to grill direct on it for steaks etc.

Chargriller 3 burner gas BBQ. Bought in Arizona in 2012. Cheap and cheerful, but it's given me 4 years of service. Use it a couple of times a week even now. Great for direct high heat cooking: pork chops, steak, burgers and what not. When I first got it I lived in an apartment and couldn't use the kettle on the balcony so I even smoked ribs and pork shoulder on the gas grill. Worked great after a little fine tuning

Weber smokey Joe. Travel bbq. Given to me by a friend as a present, used for picnics.

Weber Smokey Mountain 57cm. Christmas 2014 present from my wife. It's a beast. I've done 10 racks of ribs in one cook. Would easily fit 6 shoulders of pork. It's the king of low and slow cooking to me.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Did anyone get one of those aldi, smoker/bbq 's.? Any comments yet ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I've been meaning to post here over the last while and am only just getting around to it.

I'm over and back to family in the US a lot, and have gotten quite into proper BBQ from doing so. Using everything from pits and stacked smokers in the US, and have a large Weber kettle and Smokey Joe in Ireland.

The 57cm kettle is my primary smoker, and I'll use the Smokey Joe if we're travelling, or to experiment on smaller cuts or rubs... or mostly to put my chimney on top of to let more air into the bottom of the chimney.

I really want to pick up the Weber Smokey Mountain for larger cuts, but can't justify the price, cheapest I've found is €650 up north, but more around the €800 range which is far too expensive considering they're $300 or so in the US! Has anyone come across them at a better price? Failing that, I'd look at getting something made for about the same money. I don't have enough space to build a pit but ultimately, that'd be the dream.
    Did anyone get one of those aldi, smoker/bbq 's.? Any comments yet ?

I haven't seen it in person as am in the US at the moment, but had my old man check it out, apparently it's not worth the 80 quid. Build quality isn't great and I'd imagine it would be a nightmare to settle temps and smoke flow.

Is anyone else using the iGrill for temp readings?

Some food photos below... I should have more but usually eat everything before thinking of taking a photo.

26690176226_a3e04cee1c.jpg
    Cabrito neck with basic black and white rub.

26650063631_d3166d933e_o.png
    Pork shoulder with brown sugar, paprika, pepper flakes, black pepper and salt

26690177026_9f54d40208.jpg
    Cabrito neck brined in prosecco vinegar with wild garlic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lordstilton

OldBean wrote: »
    I've been meaning to post here over the last while and am only just getting around to it.

I'm over and back to family in the US a lot, and have gotten quite into proper BBQ from doing so. Using everything from pits and stacked smokers in the US, and have a large Weber kettle and Smokey Joe in Ireland.

The 57cm kettle is my primary smoker, and I'll use the Smokey Joe if we're travelling, or to experiment on smaller cuts or rubs... or mostly to put my chimney on top of to let more air into the bottom of the chimney.

I really want to pick up the Weber Smokey Mountain for larger cuts, but can't justify the price, cheapest I've found is €650 up north, but more around the €800 range which is far too expensive considering they're $300 or so in the US! Has anyone come across them at a better price? Failing that, I'd look at getting something made for about the same money. I don't have enough space to build a pit but ultimately, that'd be the dream.

I haven't seen it in person as am in the US at the moment, but had my old man check it out, apparently it's not worth the 80 quid. Build quality isn't great and I'd imagine it would be a nightmare to settle temps and smoke flow.

Is anyone else using the iGrill for temp readings?

Some food photos below... I should have more but usually eat everything before thinking of taking a photo.

26690176226_a3e04cee1c.jpg
    Cabrito neck with basic black and white rub.

26650063631_d3166d933e_o.png
    Pork shoulder with brown sugar, paprika, pepper flakes, black pepper and salt

26690177026_9f54d40208.jpg
    Cabrito neck brined in prosecco vinegar with wild garlic.

I got my webber smokey mountain for 400 delivered from the UK.. I used planet bbq but there are plenty of other places

Advertisement