Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

This one is on my wish list :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

I cant really cut it that thinly but it will do, when i go bigger the next time i may ask the local deli counter to run it through their slicer.

IMG_20150619_120143906_1.jpg

Full of smokey and spicy flavor from the rub, quiet tasty.
    Maybe a little over done, but hopefully the maverick will sort that.

IMG_20150619_120304017_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Got the Weber smoker cleaned out last night so fingers crossed for decent weather this Saturday !

F.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

oleras wrote: »
    I cant really cut it that thinly but it will do, when i go bigger the next time i may ask the local deli counter to run it through their slicer.

IMG_20150619_120143906_1.jpg

Full of smokey and spicy flavor from the rub, quiet tasty.
    Maybe a little over done, but hopefully the maverick will sort that.

IMG_20150619_120304017_1.jpg

Looks fairly juicy and pink from the photos !! - if it's too rare you won't have cooked and tenderized it- I'd love to do a big hunk of topside roast like that -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Looks fairly juicy and pink from the photos !! - if it's too rare you won't have cooked and tenderized it- I'd love to do a big hunk of topside roast like that -

You can clearly see the side that was facing the heat, the more done part, next time i will rotate it every 30 mins, learning curve an all that.

I got more beef ribs to try hopefully tomorrow.

unklerosco, any chance of that method you use ?

• Advertisement

Nice bit of marbling on these bad boys !

IMG_20150620_174951882_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Did some ribs and a leg of lamb for dinner tonight.
    Smoked up some chicken breasts for my mother's Caesar salad and some fish for the father in law.
    Also smoked up a home cured bacon loin !
    F.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

unklerosco, any chance of that method you use ?

Those Ribs look sweet, where'd you get them? Got a few like that last year and they were unreal.

My method calls for a rub of salt n pepper, I tried a few different rubs from recipes from various books but to me anything other than salt and pepper on beef is just wrong/weird (although I've added the one Rub I did use that I liked below.

So, cover each rib all round with fresh ground salt and pepper. Leave for 2hrs+. Smoker at 275f (I like to use a lump of hickory & apple for these). Cook ribs for 2hrs. After 2hrs ad ribs to a deep set baking pan, add around 1.5-2 cups of beef broth (enough to just come up to the rib bone), cover pan with foil and smoke for another 2hrs. Let rest and chow down. I've used this method multiple times and it's always done the job for me. I'd 4 racks of beef ribs in the freezer last year and came home one day to find the power out and freezer defrosted, cooked all of the ribs this way and had some family round... every bone was dry, not an ounce of beef was left.

Similar to pork ribs you could sauce them and set them on the smoker for 15 mins but I prefer them without sauce myself.

Rub I liked is from Myron Mixon, (method above is based on his also)

2 tbs salt
    2 tbs pepper
    3 tbs dark brown sugar
    1 tsp chili powder
    1/2 tsp tumeric
    1/2 tsp coriander
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp onion powder

Cheers for that !

Great butcher down here,https://www.garretts.ie/

You have to usually order them, but he will have them the following wweek, same with beef cheeks and brisket.

It gets annoying at times when you go into a butchers and they look at you with that blank expression, they are more interested in selling you what they have rather than sell you what you want.

Its akin to going to a clothes shop and asking for a shirt and they want to sell you a pair of pants.

Cheers... There's a wholesale butchers next to my office and he gets me ribs, brisket etc. but he sells to a lot of restaurants so it tends to be a case of trying to get in before the orders go out. Can be hit and miss at times but he's sound, got me a striploin and gave me a very simple recipe for roasting and it was hands-down the best roast beef I ever had, fed 8 adults and each slice was perfect.

• Advertisement

The weather is killing me today. Didn't realise it would be so bad.

I am struggling to maintain 215-225 let along reach 275 !

I am using the water bath though, although last week that didnt really affect it so bad. It must be the wind and rain, i should have started it in a more sheltered position but i will learn hopefully from it.

It could take 8 hours and 10KG of charcoal to get these ribs tender...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Is that 275 F or C?

RasTa wrote: »
    Is that 275 F or C?

Yankee.

My wife was looking at me funny when i was using F earlier, i tried explaining its because all the recipes are from American sites etc.

9pm dinner...she has threatened take away if its any later...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Is that 275 F or C?
    Was just about to ask - what's that in real money - ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Once u start doing BBQ n following american recipes you switch to F.. My wife no knows all the temps for cooked meats in F. Couldn't tell you what they are in C

Roughly to convert, take away 30 and half it.

Last night was a bit of a disaster, took them off at 9, thats being on since 1.30pm. Temperature didnt get high enough all day to render the fat out properly, i stuck them in the oven for an hour after i took that pic and the amount of fat that came out of them was unreal, it made then shredable but the outside was very crispy. Tasted grand but at 10.30pm you dont want to be eating BBQ...lol

Next time im going to try it without the water in the pan and just try controlling the temperature with the vents.

Live and learn and all that.

IMG_20150621_205257926_1.jpg

Some people fill the water pan with sand and swear it makes it easier to control.
    I haven't tried it myself though.

Would you just need to use more charcoal to get the heat up more?

curiousb wrote: »
    Some people fill the water pan with sand and swear it makes it easier to control.
    I haven't tried it myself though.

Would you just need to use more charcoal to get the heat up more?

I might try the sand option, i may also try different charcoal, maybe the briquette type, the one i was using has massive lumps.

IMG_20150621_125113182_1.jpg

IMG_20150621_125246412_1.jpg

I tried lumpwood and prefer briquettes as I think they burn longer and reach a higher temperature.

Worth an experiment. You will certainly fit a lot more briquettes in the base than the lumped so that might make a decent difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Shred

I'd agree, if you're doing longer cooks briqeuttes are the way to go.

Guessing you had all the vents open and it still wouldn't go higher than 275? As a former Big Green Egg user thinking of buying one of these, this worries me.

Guessing you had all the vents open and it still wouldn't go higher than 275? As a former Big Green Egg user thinking of buying one of these, this worries me.

I will be using it again maybe wed and report back.

I would say my issue with getting it hot was the wind and rain yesterday, it was very exposed and the wrong type of fuel. Anyway, with the water pan in it wont really go above 275 i think.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I might try the sand option, i may also try different charcoal, maybe the briquette type, the one i was using has massive lumps.

IMG_20150621_125113182_1.jpg

IMG_20150621_125246412_1.jpg

100% switch to briquettes. Lump wood burns hot and fast. On the coldest winter days I never have issues getting up to temperature on my smokey mountain.

I was going to offer more advice. But you an just read here.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/tipsfaq.html

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Don't be. Even in winter my smokey mountain overshoots 275 and needs to be throttled down about an hour after being lot.

I always use the water pan and light it using the fuse method from the virtual weber bullet, posted above.

they/them/theirs

Well I like doing my chickens at 150f or 302 sometimes 350c so that's why I was concerned.

Well I like doing my chickens at 150f or 302 sometimes 350c so that's why I was concerned.

I have a turkey breast brining as i type.

I intent to cook it @325, i will report back tomorrow. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

daveirl wrote: »
    Just pulled the trigger on a Weber Smokey Mountain. Really went back and forth on getting a Big Green Egg but the think a cheaper set up with the right work will give me just as good results.

Which size did you go for?

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Briquette test.

Dry water pan

IMG_20150625_152353793_1.jpg

After 3 hours and just 1 or 2 stokes of the fire. held a very constant 320-330

IMG_20150625_185513150_1.jpg

meat resting now.

Advertisement