Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Can these be used on a gas BBQ? Whilst I love the convenience of just being able to turn on and use my Weber gas BBQ all year round I miss the flavour charcoal and wood chips used to impart from my old Weber kettle BBQ :confused:

Smoking on gas is easy. A few methods here. Woodchester wrapped in tinfoil is my preferred method.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/gas_grill_setup.html

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Brian? wrote: »
    I don't understand the point of these. On a gas grill you wrap woodchips in tin foil and poke a load of holes in it. On a charcoal grill or smoker you put lumps or chips of wood in the coals. These gadgets seem pointless.

I think they were originally designed for cold smoking cheese, fish etc. but people use them alongside their BBQ's also.

Smoking on gas is easy. A few methods here. Woodchester wrapped in tinfoil is my preferred method.

I've never had much success with smoking on gas. I've a webber summit with the smoker box built in but there's so many leaks in it the smoke just goes straight out.. I could do with sealing up some of the bigger one's and try to get the smoke to flow the length of the grill to get a better effect but like urself I have a WSM and a webber kettle that I use for low and slow. Keep the gas for big family cook outs..

AA7QneyFWG33eb0r5rFe1Iggs9cbmwNX_u0zm0UZquFICgq2rA6aLwld6b2ZnAg_bafjvJTIIDVMAAVY8pZqTv_fIdsxF7aTa6BxMvGP7U_kW-J4axA4KkRG7JQ2CkXyllLr362m86Gt61F19SFgHOD0tXN_vyG820_9Zs4wVrgUXSUKLVAvQB4-EKdMEv1w0VubHxJ_aE-v3k-75rA0RIuV7QV3JzrGcNA4GUfwz9ZRlv0mdC6nBkZ2O3fN15ifamv4hui1S1YVHACnCOXSDF8eYLy6h8Bq3wOKrRtlmDmzvRnz-gsKn4zJDxgyg3j1CDlaKRY2AluTQJFv6vge2huRm6JJKJaJqXXxCP9hICumkhmIxSFV2HCp-Q1VNnjEvzrrvm3ZM1ZuskhWCW0pLa94lyTWmpHYRwByX4TKwriVnAGXxZ17NLUX_1-oPxRyhtG8zMI9gXiVzLGUKA937XeWFFUSW9--zL5K32v7e6zp5LoI33rx-_nZFyXQaHrQdWqbZ3ADIYiQ8dm0xVgo3Fx6HyVLRyZj0faxafqytgvmMF84jCZoIRQC344P6b3p6aB-Hg=w1276-h957-no

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭54and56

Thanks Brian, appreciate it.

unklerosco wrote: »
    I've never had much success with smoking on gas. I've a webber summit with the smoker box built in but there's so many leaks in it the smoke just goes straight out.. I could do with sealing up some of the bigger one's and try to get the smoke to flow the length of the grill to get a better effect but like urself I have a WSM and a webber kettle that I use for low and slow. Keep the gas for big family cook outs..

AA7QneyFWG33eb0r5rFe1Iggs9cbmwNX_u0zm0UZquFICgq2rA6aLwld6b2ZnAg_bafjvJTIIDVMAAVY8pZqTv_fIdsxF7aTa6BxMvGP7U_kW-J4axA4KkRG7JQ2CkXyllLr362m86Gt61F19SFgHOD0tXN_vyG820_9Zs4wVrgUXSUKLVAvQB4-EKdMEv1w0VubHxJ_aE-v3k-75rA0RIuV7QV3JzrGcNA4GUfwz9ZRlv0mdC6nBkZ2O3fN15ifamv4hui1S1YVHACnCOXSDF8eYLy6h8Bq3wOKrRtlmDmzvRnz-gsKn4zJDxgyg3j1CDlaKRY2AluTQJFv6vge2huRm6JJKJaJqXXxCP9hICumkhmIxSFV2HCp-Q1VNnjEvzrrvm3ZM1ZuskhWCW0pLa94lyTWmpHYRwByX4TKwriVnAGXxZ17NLUX_1-oPxRyhtG8zMI9gXiVzLGUKA937XeWFFUSW9--zL5K32v7e6zp5LoI33rx-_nZFyXQaHrQdWqbZ3ADIYiQ8dm0xVgo3Fx6HyVLRyZj0faxafqytgvmMF84jCZoIRQC344P6b3p6aB-Hg=w1276-h957-no

That's a fairly big aul grill. I'm not sure how I'd set that up. I'd definitely avoid using the smoker box. You've plenty of kit for the low and slow cooks.

If you want to add some smoke to steaks and other direct heat cooks you could try tinfoil smoke bombs directly on one burner, turned down to its lowest setting. Direct grill on the other burners turned up high. Should add a lick of smoke.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,759 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The revival of this thread has me thinking that I might build my own BBQ. I've had a cracking gas BBQ for the past 11 years & the legs have rusted away, but the burner & grill unit is still fine.

So I am thinking of a two grill setup - incorporating the old gas unit in one bay & then a solid fuel setup beside it. (I'll be sure to have the gas tank storage away from the solid fuel side.)

I've tasked HB Jr I to start drawing up some plans. He's struggling a bit with Tech Graphics, so a real life application of the subject may help. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I've tasked HB Jr I to start drawing up some plans. He's struggling a bit with Tech Graphics, so a real life application of the subject may help.

If I did the same with my young fella, the plan would have robots and guns and explosions in it ... and no bbq.
    My wife wants me to build one in the corner of our back yard... of course if we have friends over for a bbq we eat miles away in the sun in the garden.. so i'd be billy no mates,grilling by the yard.

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Chargrill make a dual fuel BBQ if you're looking for ideas..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

For all ye bbq and grilling heads out there Weber are having an opening day for their first dedicated Weber store in the Orchard garden center tomorrow, they were on 2fm today and they will be having demos etc. I'm in cork and going to Dublin tomorrow for a family thing and if i get time I might pop over myself. I have a Weber kettle myself.

https://www.weberbbq.co.uk/where-to-buy/orchard-garden-centre/

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Was thinking of popping over myself.. I need some spare parts although I'm sure it'll be overpriced.. Weber prices here always seem to be far higher than the UK, and well beyond US prices

• Advertisement

Michelin star quality charcoal - http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20160317-the-secret-to-japanese-grilling

Thought it might be of interest here!!

Went to the Orchard garden centre today to check out their 'official' Weber store.. it's pretty much the same as any other decent garden centre that stocks Weber gear only with more branding and a couple of accessories I haven't seen before. To be honest it's no different to the likes of Jones Garden centre at Donabate etc. More expensive than other places too..

Also, is it me or have Weber prices gone crazy? €389 for the Weber Master Touch! I got one from the UK via ebay for £180 just over a year ago..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Michelin star quality charcoal - http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20160317-the-secret-to-japanese-grilling

Thought it might be of interest here!!

The link doesn't work for me - something to do with BBC Worldwide...

What was the product? Binchotan charcoal?

Minder wrote: »
    What was the product? Binchotan charcoal?

yep

Went to the Orchard garden centre today to check out their 'official' Weber store.. it's pretty much the same as any other decent garden centre that stocks Weber gear only with more branding and a couple of accessories I haven't seen before. To be honest it's no different to the likes of Jones Garden centre at Donabate etc. More expensive than other places too..

Also, is it me or have Weber prices gone crazy? €389 for the Weber Master Touch! I got one from the UK via ebay for £180 just over a year ago..

Same here. Not really anything extra on offer. They didn't even have wood chunks in stock.

They had the 47cm Smokey Mountain for €650!! I got my 57cm one for €110 less than that in Dundalk.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I have the Weber Go-Anywhere Charcoal that I bought years ago for around €60. It's €130 on that website. :eek:
    I know the one that I have is a much older model but it's essentially the same thing.

They had the 47cm Smokey Mountain for €650!! I got my 57cm one for €110 less than that in Dundalk.

I paid €350 for mine 3 years ago.. prices have deffo increased a good bit. Can be got for €450ish from the UK.

Any one know where to get good bratwurst?
    I used to get these ones from aldi and loved them but they dont seem to do them anymore :(
    293061.jpg?v=5

• Registered Users Posts: 15,204 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Thinking of buying a new BBQ and going gas for the convenience, as I will be doing a lot more BBQ'ing all year round when work on the house is done and we have a sheltered outdoor area.

Any lads here using gas grills and can recommend one? The first thing I looked up was Weber of course, as their charcoal kettles have never let me down. I was looking at the classic e-310, which is pricey, but I need a decent one as I will be using it year round and it needs to be built well.

Is there any other decent gas BBQ brand around that might be a bit cheaper than Weber?

Keep an eye out for used Webers, you can find well looked after ones easy enough and you could get a better spec model for the same price..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭Masala

Keep an eye on Homestore and More....might be worth subscribing to their email offers.

They sometimes offer 50% off offer on BBQ's

https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/summer/barbeques/icat/spebarbeq

Oat23 wrote: »
    Thinking of buying a new BBQ and going gas for the convenience, as I will be doing a lot more BBQ'ing all year round when work on the house is done and we have a sheltered outdoor area.

Any lads here using gas grills and can recommend one? The first thing I looked up was Weber of course, as their charcoal kettles have never let me down. I was looking at the classic e-310, which is pricey, but I need a decent one as I will be using it year round and it needs to be built well.

Is there any other decent gas BBQ brand around that might be a bit cheaper than Weber?

Not sure if they are good value alternatives or just cheap copy's which look the part but don't walk the walk so do your research but Argos have some attractive looking discounts on at the moment:-

4 burner gas BBQ with side burner for €136 - http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3451663.htm

4 burner gas BBQ for €299 - http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3049329.htm#tab3

6 burner gas BBQ with side burner for €375 http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3028096/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CGarden+and+DIY%7C14418702/c_2/3%7C19285823%7CBarbecues%7C14418875/c_3/4%7Ccat_14418875%7CGas+BBQs%7C14418882.htm

I'm in a similar boat to you but I think I'll stick with Weber.

Cheers lads. I'll definitely head up to homestore & more and have a look at the quality of their BBQ's. There was a thread on BA here about a sale they have had the last weekend of May in 2014 & 2015. Hopefully their grills look decent and that sale returns in 2016!

Cheers lads. I'll definitely head up to homestore & more and have a look at the quality of their BBQ's. There was a thread on BA here about a sale they have had the last weekend of May in 2014 & 2015. Hopefully their grills look decent and that sale returns in 2016!

They'll be pretty much the exact same as the ones linked in Argos in the thread above... Grand for occasional use and if well looked after they may last.

If anyone asks me I just tell them to get a Weber. My dad has a Weber kettle I got him second hand, must be 15yrs old now and it's still as good as new. It's out all year round and not a bit of rust on it. I've a Weber Summit and it's built like a tank, there's no comparison to the cheaper BBQ's available in the like of homestore etc.

They'll be pretty much the exact same as the ones linked in Argos in the thread above... Grand for occasional use and if well looked after they may last.

If anyone asks me I just tell them to get a Weber. My dad has a Weber kettle I got him second hand, must be 15yrs old now and it's still as good as new. It's out all year round and not a bit of rust on it. I've a Weber Summit and it's built like a tank, there's no comparison to the cheaper BBQ's available in the like of homestore etc.

That is what I'm expecting to find if I'm honest. I was hoping there might be a tier of gas grills below Weber that would be of decent quality and a little cheaper but still a cut above what you'd get in Argos/Aldi/Lidl. Maybe that tier does not exist though!

That is what I'm expecting to find if I'm honest. I was hoping there might be a tier of gas grills below Weber that would be of decent quality and a little cheaper but still a cut above what you'd get in Argos/Aldi/Lidl. Maybe that tier does not exist though!

It does, not in Ireland that I can find. I bought a cheap BBQ in the US in 2012. I've been using, probably twice a week in the winter and 4 times a week in the summer since January 2012 and it's still perfect.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_296447-49769-3001_1z0wekxZ1z13xnp__?productId=3031229&pl=1

Not sure if you can buy here.

they/them/theirs

After reading the thread this afternoon I went off to http://www.outdoor.ie/89-broil-king-bbqs and bought a Broil King 320 for €499 - http://www.broilkingbbq.com/en_eu/grills/royal/royal_320

2r4rlvd.jpg

I went in with a short list of the Weber 210 or 310 classics based on my online research but was very disappointed with their design and quality of their builds and I say that as someone who's has Weber BBQ's for the last 20 years and swears by them. I don't know what it is but the Weber Kettle/Charcoal BBQ's I had for about 10 years from 2002 to 2012 and the gas Q1000 Titanium I had for the last 3 years were really well built with solid cast iron cooking grates etc the 210 and 310 classics felt flimsy, had lightweight porcelain grates and looked to be more about the brand than the actual quality plus a standard gas cylinder won't fit in the cabinet underneath so after spending €529 or €629 you'd still have to locate the gas cylinder beside or behind the BBQ which just looks gank.

I never thought I'd go for any brand other than Weber but when I objectively looked at the Broil King Royal 320 I really couldn't fault it in terms of either design or build quality. It has an electronic ignition, stainless steel components, cast iron grates, flavour bars (a la the Webers), a thermometer, a large heating rack and solid side shelves PLUS Broil King have adpoted the floor in the cabinet to allow an Irish sized gas cylinder to fit underneath for a very neat looking finish.

I wanted to find flaws with the Broil King (could it really be better than a Weber 310 and €130 cheaper??) but I couldn't so I allowed my head to rule my heart, bit the bullet and bought it.

Got it home, spent about an hour putting it together which was pretty easy and fired it up to cook a couple of steaks which were very well sealed on the high heat this thing can produce.

All in all I am very happy. Maybe in a couple of years I'll see some evidence that the Broil King quality doesn't stand the test of time relative to an equivalent Weber but having said that they do come with very long warranties, up to 25 years, so I really don't expect to have any problems whatsoever.

Hope that's of help to some as we enter BBQ season.

Happy grilling :D

Thanks very much for the above post. Very helpful and informative! Unfortunately I am having problems finding anywhere near me that would stock Webers, so I would have to buy online without seeing it myself in person. Thanks for the feedback on it.

I'll have to take a look at the Broil King.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUPX-9zkMeA

Worth a watch, all good advice when looking for a gas grill...

• Advertisement

After reading the thread this afternoon I went off to http://www.outdoor.ie/89-broil-king-bbqs and bought a Broil King 320 for €499 - http://www.broilkingbbq.com/en_eu/grills/royal/royal_320

Was able to find a place today locally stocking Broil Kings and it looks like a solid BBQ. I think I'm going with that now.

I completely forgot to ask if Broil King include the regulator & hose or if I will need to buy that myself! Did yours include the regulator & hose?

Advertisement