Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masks

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

No: I will wait for the HSE to recommend
    Wibbs wrote: »
    You do comprehend that the lockdown and our other (half) measures meant we got the current results we have, right? Oh and those numbers are not good at all given our existing advantageous factors. Barely been touched my arse. :rolleyes: We have notably higher infections and dead than those who did a good job at containing this virus. Yes there are plenty of stupid chicken littles, but there are also plenty of equally stupid naysayers.

The Irish govt and Tony Holohan sent sick elderly people back to care homes, from hospital, without testing them. The HSE refused to test elderly people in care homes. That’s the reason so many of them died. Not people on the street refusing to socially distance, not people refusing to wear masks. The stats fully back that up. If you are under 65, you are more likely to die in a car crash than of Covid-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,646 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

1600+ died WITH Covid-19, not necessarily OF Covid-19. Over 60% of those deaths were in nursing homes. Over 91% of the totals deaths were over 65s. The most vulnerable of society, who were hung out to dry by the govt and Tony Holohan.

Do they not count, are they not humans?
    From the ages of 0-44, there were 17 deaths in three months. 17!! According to RTÉ, the average road traffic deaths in Ireland for 2020 is 16 PER MONTH!!!

Oh yes false equivalency and whataboutery.

But But But Dolphins, they kill people too, we don't bring in restrictions for Dolphins, something, something, boring, yawn!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

No: other
    1600+ died WITH Covid-19, not necessarily OF Covid-19. Over 60% of those deaths were in nursing homes. Over 91% of the totals deaths were over 65s. The most vulnerable of society, who were hung out to dry by the govt and Tony Holohan.

From the ages of 0-44, there were 17 deaths in three months. 17!! According to RTÉ, the average road traffic deaths in Ireland for 2020 is 16 PER MONTH!!! We shafted the economy for no reason. We should have coccooned the old and let the rest get on with it.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/br/b-cdc/covid-19deathsandcases/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=COVID-19%20Insights%20Volume1%20WE%2015May2020

Yeah there were 17 deaths in that age group, but there was many more people who got a serious dose of it, were in ICU, suffered through the disease and survived it. Its just been in the news of 3 children fighting a rare inflammatory condition most likely due to covid. Just because they didn't die doesn't mean that people aren't suffering and possibly getting life-long reprocussions.

Boggles wrote: »
    Do they not count, are they not humans?

Oh yes false equivalency and whataboutery.

But But But Dolphins, they kill people too, we don't bring in restrictions for Dolphins, something, something, boring, yawn!

I’ve literally said they were hung out to dry. If proper measures had been put into place a lot of those deaths could have been prevented.

We are strangling the economy for no reason.

Your false equivalency is with figures obtained during restrictions.

What model have you seen or are you using for an alternative method and what is the projected hospitalization and Death toll from that?

Just saying Denmark isn't an answer.

• Advertisement

Your false equivalency is with figures obtained during restrictions.

What model have you seen or are you using for an alternative method and what is the projected hospitalization and Death toll from that?

Just saying Denmark isn't an answer.

I’m not revealing my model, same as the Govt, who have saved us from 1,000,000* deaths according to their model.

*made up a number, same as Govt have.

I’m not revealing my model, same as the Govt, who have saved us from 1,000,000* deaths according to their model.

*made up a number, same as Govt have.

So you are using Edgelord modelling?

It's old and boring lad, give it up FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Yes: valved
    Well going by Denmarks example. Nothing.

Take out nursing homes, DP centres, Traveller and Roma clusters and Ireland has barely been touched by Covid-19. But you still have the chicken littles who believe the country would be decimated if not for “lockdown”.

One should not merge nursing homes with the rest of those groups.

The vulnerable resident's in nursing homes did not go out and catch the virus and return with it and spread it. The virus was brought into their place of residence by visitor's, mainly unmasked HCW's.

Now might be a excellent time to say I will not and do not blame HCW's for this. I have heard numerous reports of HSE employee's taking personally owned masks away and off staff and nurses in nursing homes pre change in poilcy(April22nd). The spread of covid-19 in nursing homes was because of poor HSE mask supply and poor HSE mask policy, plain and simple.

Direct Provision centres, Traveller and Roma groups all had oppotunites to go out and bring the virus back into thier groups. These groups were always high risk due to volume of air per person ratio.

Some will argue those groups would also be high risk due to a lack of cleansiness or poor education but that is secondary and also a sterotypical approach.

IMHO majority of traveller accomdation trumps the majority of non traveller homes when it comes to hygiene. This whole virus thing is all about the air we share, fomite route is secondary.

You still have the cocky hen's that believe we can bull on without masking up.

The most vulnerable of society, who were hung out to dry by the govt and Tony Holohan.

We should have coccooned the old and let the rest get on with it.

The economy was hung out to dry by GOV and Tony Holohan.

The vulnerable in society were hung out to dry by poor HSE mask supply and poor HSE mask policy.

The vulnerable will continue to be targeted if we all do not take personal responsibility for our breath.

Stop being a nob put a mask on your gob.

Seanergy wrote: »
    The economy was hung out to dry by GOV and Tony Holohan.

The economy wasn't hung on to dry, it was hibernated on purpose, pandemic response 101.

It's a far better and cheaper option than the potential alternative.

They have got more wrong than right IMO, but they were pretty spot on with their emergency response when it came to the economy TBF.

That said, it was the "easy" bit, opening back up is the hard bit.

• Advertisement

The economy wasn't hung on to dry, it was hibernated on purpose, pandemic response 101.

It's a far better and cheaper option than the potential alternative.

They have got more wrong than right IMO, but they were pretty spot on with their emergency response when it came to the economy TBF.

That said, it was the "easy" bit, opening back up is the hard bit.

Welldonepinochio winds me up so much I pump out some replies a bit fiery :)

Indeed it's easier for an Anaesthetist to put someone asleep, keeping them alive and bringing them out from under is the more difficult part.

Speed with which economy was shut down was fairly decent TBH. Duration has been drawn out without a real plan and as a result public trust and compliance are skirting on low, this has consequences of it's own that can have a grave impact when the 2nd wave hits.

According to the WHO "communication expertise has become as essential to outbreak control as epidemiological training and laboratory analysis. The overriding goal for outbreak communication is to communicate with the public in ways that build, maintain or restore trust."

Transparency and nothing short of absolute brutal honesty is needed by the HSE NPHET and State right now regarding masks. An admittance needs to be given to the public so that we can all team together to understand how the virus spreads and how we can all play our part in reducing it's spread and thus be ready for the 2nd wave.

Anything short is just wishful thinking. I am of the opinion economy should remain shut until the public understands as to why they are to wear masks in closed air spces and around others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭McGiver

No: I don't care enough
    cnocbui wrote: »
    People who thought the Earth was spherical were all Trolls once. Copernicus and Galileo were Trolls.
    No, they weren't. They provided scientific rational evidence for their theories. There was no scientific consensus on flat earth or the geocentric model. Zero. It was based on superstition and belief.
    Comparing Middle ages situation, where superstitions were challenged by early scientific method, to baseless criticism of masks effectiveness supported by studies and other evidence in 21st century is... Ridiculous?

And evidence on AGW is so massive, where do I even start....anyway off topic.

Councillor claims nurses at Fermoy Community Hospital have to buy their own face masks.

Ive had enough of this HSE bull.

The condescending nature of the first statement below projects that the HSE believe that nurses are putting on masks for psychological reasons.

"The HSE stated that they don't HAVE to wear masks but they want to for their own protection."

"The current guidance on the use of PPE does not recommend the use of surgical facemasks or other PPE unless a health care worker is caring for someone who is confirmed or suspected to have Covid-19.

The HSE are truly stuck in putting on a mask to protect the wearer mentality.

Not sure if I posted about this on here but last week I had an agency nurse inform me that the HSE give her 5 masks for a shift in a nursing home. Guidance is to change mask every 20 mins which would equate to about 30+masks a shift.

If we don't get it right in the nursing homes before the 2nd wave hits, it will be too late for some.

Markomlm wrote: »
    Do you have like shares in a mask manufacturing company or something?
    No, I don't.

In fact, from the beginning of the epidemic in Europe, I had strongly supported DIY cloth masks approach as opposed to government organised distribution of surgical masks, because:

1. It's cheaper
    2. It's more realistic
    3. It's faster to deploy

This is the solution recommended by the US CDC as you may know.

#masks4all #DIYmasks.ie

https://www.dailysabah.com/world/europe/2nd-covid-19-wave-very-unlikely-in-denmark-expert-says

Ireland’s R0 is already well below Denmark’s. Currently R0.4. We need to stop the lockdown now.
    Yes. Stop the lockdown. And everyone masks indoors. You know like in Germany, Austria or Czechia.

Current R0 says nothing about what it will be like when the society goes back to normal. What it has to do with Denmark by the way? :/

I’ve literally said they were hung out to dry. If proper measures had been put into place a lot of those deaths could have been prevented.

We agree on that.

The difference between us that we say - closed borders, quarantine AND masks should have been the best measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

McGiver wrote: »
    Yes. Stop the lockdown. And everyone masks indoors. You know like in Germany, Austria or Czechia.

Current R0 says nothing about what it will be like when the society goes back to normal. What it has to do with Denmark by the way? :/

He's making a comparison against a country that's been relaxing restrictions for a month, has no mask wearing policy and social distance is 1 metre. And also hasn't seen any increase in cases since relaxing measures, all stats on the downward trend still.

It's a worthwhile comparison, likewise with other countries as you've mentioned. We need to look at them all.

Nobody says stop the lockdown now, phases need to be merged and not dragged out but that's for the relaxation thread

He's making a comparison against a country that's been relaxing restrictions for a month, has no mask wearing policy and social distance is 1 metre. And also hasn't seen any increase in cases since relaxing measures, all stats on the downward trend still.

It's a worthwhile comparison, likewise with other countries as you've mentioned. We need to look at them all.

Nobody says stop the lockdown now, phases need to be merged and not dragged out but that's for the relaxation thread

Do they have closed borders? They did - fully, just like Norway and Czechia. Ireland never did.

Do they test and/or quarantine people coming from the abroad? Norway, Czechia do. Ireland doesn't and effectively won't.

How is their testing level per capita? I don't have details.

Any other restrictions? Again, I don't have details.

Also Denmark's cases per capita is much lower than Ireland's (less than half) so you can argue they can afford a more liberal approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Do they have closed borders? They did - fully, just like Norway and Czechia. Ireland never did.

Do they test and/or quarantine people coming from the abroad? Norway, Czechia do. Ireland doesn't and effectively won't.

Also Denmark's cases per capita is much lower than Ireland's (less than half) so you can argue they cannot afford more liberal approach.

Again this is for the relaxation thread, borders have been discussed lots of times, the amount of movement coming into Ireland since restrictions has been minimal.

Again can argue the toss over test and quarantine, when Europe opens up there wont be anywhere doing it. Should have been done earlier here but wasn't.

Anyway all of this is for another thread. I wont be replying on this here any further as it's for another thread. Was only making the point as to what Denmark had to do with this

If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with COVID-19.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

WHEN and how TO USE MASKS. Jesus wept. It’s literally on their website.

OK. The page deals with PPE not with masks, especially DIY.

Can you explain this then?

CANADA CDC
    https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/prevention-risks/about-non-medical-masks-face-coverings.html

US CDC
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/diy-cloth-face-coverings.html

ECDC
    https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/infographic-using-face-masks-community

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

If it means wearing a mask (homemade or one use) on transportation and indoors where needed as the price to open things up then absolutely.

Also Denmark's cases per capita is much lower than Ireland's (less than half) so you can argue they can afford a more liberal approach.

Your last paragraph is nonsense. Does the virus know the cases per capita and attack based on that?? No.

Your last paragraph is nonsense. Does the virus know the cases per capita and attack based on that?? No.
    Ah no, just that the reader didn't understand the argument.

If my cases per capita are lower along with a lower R0, I can be bolder with reducing the restrictions.

Care to respond to the other points?

Ah no, just that the reader didn't understand the argument.

If my cases per capita are lower along with a lower R0, I can be bolder with reducing the restrictions.

Care to respond to the other points?

You aren’t worth explaining it to. You have blinkers on. You literally couldn’t understand a WHO page entitled “When and How to wear a mask” and claimed it was about PPE hahahaha. I shan't be replying to you again.

You aren’t worth explaining it to. You have blinkers on. You literally couldn’t understand a WHO page entitled “When and How to wear a mask” and claimed it was about PPE hahahaha. I shan't be replying to you again.

Is push down politics your only trick?

Are just WHO loyal or do you have repssect for the ECDC?

Is it 50/50 or do you have a preference for the WHO?

Who are you to decide someone's worth?

It's you who can't read properly.

There's a guidance document on the same WHO page.
    https://apps.who.int/iris/rest/bitstreams/1274280/retrieve
    In this document medical masks are defined as surgical or procedure masks that are flat or pleated (some are shaped like cups); they are affixed to the head with straps.
    So the web page is talking only PPE, not cloth face masks. As I said.

Then the document says:
    Wearing a medical mask is one of the prevention measures that can limit the spread of certain respiratory viral diseases, including COVID-19.

In the Community settings section it says:
    Studies of influenza, influenza-like illness, and human
    coronaviruses provide evidence that the use of a medical
    mask can prevent the spread of infectious droplets from an infected person to someone else and potential contamination of the environment by these droplets.
    Clearly confirms that masks prevent spread.

The WHO doesn't seem to recommend masks as a protective measure for the wearer of the mask specifically. Which is highly problematic - given that it works in health care settings, but let's say we accept their argument. But the WHO doesn't say the mask doesn't protect the community from the potential infection wearer of the mask - in fact it clearly confirms that it prevents the spread.

Also, you still conveniently haven't responded why multiple CDCs recommended masks.

I have included 3 screenshots below.

The 1st is from The National Pandemic Influenza Expert Group from 2009 which clearly cites that droplets can be spread from talking.

The second is from the main section of the HSE website 2020 which omits to mention talking as a form of transmission.

The third is from The National Pandemic Influenza Expert Group from 2009 offering facemask advice but fails to mention that talking patients should wear facemasks.

Can anyone share a reference to the HSE citing covid-19 droplet transmission from talking? I can't recall any offical advice/posters metioning talking as a form of transmission.

talking.png

2020.png

masking.png

The National Pandemic Influenza Expert Group existed between 1999-2010. Brian Cowen founded it as Minsiter for Health in 1999, Micheál Martin oversaw it from (2000-2004) and Mary Harney disbandoned it in 2010.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I think the document for workplaces to reopen mentioned spread by talking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Found it, while not HSE, it's from government but they're all the same useless shower.

Page 4 mentions this thing is spread when someone speaks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Page 4 mentions this thing is spread when someone speaks.

Definitely some people are bigger 'spitters' than others!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement