Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

CramCycle wrote: »
    I know little about hydraulic bike brakes, any recommended brands of fluid or pads?

Fluid: The brand isn't critical. It's the type e.g. DOT4, DOT5, mineral. Often stamped on the m-cyl cover.
    Pads: No idea. A reputable brand?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭woody33

Ok, if I may: I have one of those chain cleaning baths you use with the chain still on, the question is which to put in it, White Spirit or Heating oil/Kerosene? The chain is not too dirty at all, but I changing from Tri-Flow to Weld-Tite TF2/Halfords All Weather with Teflon. Or maybe I should just wipe the chain and add one lube on top of the other? (My unending research informs me Tri-Flow is actually a solvent oil. (Who knew, live and learn, some people are very gullible, etc.). Thanks for any words of wisdom, W.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Clean the chain first with a degreaser. Otherwise the existing dirt mixed with the new oil will turn into a grinding paste and do further damage.

Petrol, diesel, etc will do a good job but are harmful to both you and the environment so if possible use an environmentally friendly degreaser. Your local hardware should have something suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Annoying squeak on the bike with the below done so far.

New BB
    New cleats
    Front skewer greased
    Chainring bolts checked

All that's left is headset,yeah? It feels fine but what else could be the cause?

Also for a complete noob is it a handy job to grease it? Bike is a 2016 tcr.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

dahat wrote: »

New BB
    New cleats
    Front skewer greased
    Chainring bolts checked

All that's left is headset,yeah? It feels fine but what else could be the cause?

Seatpost, saddle and I've even had seatpost clamps creak .

Wheel axles, is their lateral play?

Have you ever replaced the headset bearings before, it might be worth checking, all you need is a torque wrench.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

When does it creak, is it random, at a certain point of the pedal stroke, in or out of the saddle, high power or all the time?

I’d an annoying creak/squeak that turned out to be a slightly loose bottle cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

New BB
    New cleats
    Front skewer greased
    Chainring bolts checked

Probably not the BB, or your cleats, or the front skewer or chainring bolts. It could be the rear skewer, the wheels, the pedals, the saddle, the handlebar stem or the seat post.

1: remove your wheels, put a drop of grease on your finger and apply a bit to the frame dropouts and fork drop outs. Refit wheels and go for test ride.
    2: remove your pedals, apply some grease to the treads, refit the pedals and go for a test ride.
    3: remove the seat post, apply some grease, refit and go for a test ride.
    4: carry out a full tightness test on all bolts. Go for a test ride.
    5: if none of the above solves the problem, buy a new bike! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

07Lapierre wrote: »
    3: remove the seat post, apply some grease, refit and go for a test ride.

Never ever do that, especially on a carbon frame. Alu will tollerate a bit more of abuse, but is not immune either.

Seat post is intended to stay in place, not to move. You don't want to reallign it every ride. Lubrication reduces fricion - to stay put the seat post needs to be secured with higher clamping force applied to the seat tube. This simply is a receipe for a damaged frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

grogi wrote: »
    Never ever do that, especially on a carbon frame. Alu will tollerate a bit more of abuse, but is not immune either.

Seat post is intended to stay in place, not to move. You don't want to reallign it every ride. Lubrication reduces fricion - to stay put the seat post needs to be secured with higher clamping force applied to the seat tube. This simply is a receipe for a damaged frame.

I don't know about carbon frames, as I've never owned one, but it's a standard thing to lightly grease the seat post so it doesn't fuse with the frame for steel. Every bike maintenance book I have says to do this. I have had a seat post fuse with a frame before I knew about this (the bike shop was able to separate them using great force), and I have a friend who not only had a seat post fuse with his frame, but pedal spindles fuse with the cranks (the bike shop couldn't separate any of them).

I've seen car wheels fuse with the axle as well. Apparently applying copper grease is a standard way to avoid this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I don't know about carbon frames, as I've never owned one
    carbon paste is generally used for carbon frames.

but yes, grease your seat post is absolutely standard advice, especially for metal on metal. it helps prevent galvanic corrosion for alu/steel combinations.

Went at the headset at 11pm.....

Bike in LBS at 8am......

Best i stay away from these things!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭cletus

Went at the headset at 11pm.....

Bike in LBS at 8am......

Best i stay away from these things!!!!

No, you should still be struggling with it today, cursing and throwing tools in the corner

cletus wrote: »
    No, you should still be struggling with it today, cursing and throwing tools in the corner

That happened until 12.20 then gave up.

Someday i'll try again but allow more time instead of needing the bike for 9 am Saturday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

That happened until 12.20 then gave up.

Someday i'll try again but allow more time instead of needing the bike for 9 am Saturday.

Always a risky choice, if you need it the next day, don't change it unless the bike won't work without it. I've said it here before but the last time I tried that I got really drunk and set a Dynamo Hub wheel on fire inside the house well after midnight.

Always a risky choice, if you need it the next day, don't change it unless the bike won't work without it. I've said it here before but the last time I tried that I got really drunk and set a Dynamo Hub wheel on fire inside the house well after midnight.

That sounds like a story worth telling

Christ I've not done anything to match that.

I'll not be risking it again for sure,I'm only blessed my lbs is quite tolerant of my failed attempts at bike maintenance.

grogi wrote: »

Disagree..If you have an alu frame always apply grease to your seatpost.
    If you have a carbon frame, ideally apply carbon paste or a small bit of grease. you should never insert a seatpost without applying grease or carbon paste.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Gasco

Gasco wrote: »
    So, replaced the freehub body on Pave 28 wheel, easy job. But there is a lot of freehub drag, as in it takes effort to get the freehub moving. Took off the new one and reinstalled the old, same thing. Have not used the wheels in a while so cannot remember if this was the case when they were on the bike.

Scratching my head on this - before I tighten the hub cap it spins fine but once these are tightened up then not much moving. Am I over tightening these? they were pretty tight prior to removal.

Did I lose a spacer between the freehub body and hub shell? Looking at the novotec manual, there only appears to be the large metal spacer that fits over the axle - which is in place.

Are the hub bearings the problem? They are cartridge but I presume once the end caps are tightened there is some compression.

Or is this a thing with these hubs / wheels???

Lockdown is causing me to obsess about these things...

Finally figured this out - when these wheels were built they installed two water seals between the freehub and hub body. Removed one, refitted the remaining one - spinning away nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭tnegun

Think I have a creak from the BB, I've pretty much ruled everything else out I think. Have tightened the chain ring bolts, greased the seat post, tightened the quick release skewers and checked the pedals. I cycled this bike right through the winter and bad weather at the start of the year so suspect the BB lubricant has had it.
    The creak is every revolution and the cranks seem stable enough there is a tiny bit of play in the left side though. LBS is booked up for 2/3 weeks its and FSA Omega crank and FSA BB am I mad to try buy the tools to DIY it?

• Advertisement

tnegun wrote: »
    Think I have a creak from the BB, I've pretty much ruled everything else out I think. Have tightened the chain ring bolts, greased the seat post, tightened the quick release skewers and checked the pedals. I cycled this bike right through the winter and bad weather at the start of the year so suspect the BB lubricant has had it.
    The creak is every revolution and the cranks seem stable enough there is a tiny bit of play in the left side though. LBS is booked up for 2/3 weeks its and FSA Omega crank and FSA BB am I mad to try buy the tools to DIY it?

If it was me, I would...but that's me

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

Great time to start doing your own bike maintenance imo

I did a complete overhaul on my bike a few weeks ago, new BB, chain, gear/brake cables, bartape - the works, have only ever done brake cables and small bits before, did it with zero hassle, great chance to deep clean the bike too. Once you have the right tools you're laughing.

The FSA BB is threaded right? It's as easy as putting a screw in.

Park Tool youtube is good to have on hand if you have any little doubts as to what you should be doing, good to look at them beforehand too if you need to make a shopping list.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Hi guys - apologies in advance for the stupid Q! :o:o

I got a road bike recently and am new to cycling after a loooooong gap (15 years!) Getting on ok with it but I find the front steering incredibly twitchy and seems to have a mind of its own :eek:

So much so, that I find it hard to cycle with one hand and steer straight (especially downhill) as a result and the thoughts of no hands seems impossible! I see other people doing this though with ease and also walking along and pushing the bike by just holding the saddle - when I try this the front of the bike turns all over the place, and I can't even push it a metre by just holding the saddle.

Is this just normal on road bikes or is the front of my bike too twitchy/wobbly? Should it be a bit stiffer? It just feels impossible to control and keep straight. Is there any way I can fix this or make it a bit less responsive?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

may just be a case of getting used to it, road bikes can have lighter steering than other bikes. it's a new bike, though? what make/model?

If you were used to a flat handlebar before, they can feel more stable because they're wider. You'll get Yousef to the drop bars pretty quickly.

As regards the pushing by the saddle, that's just practice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭caviardreams

may just be a case of getting used to it, road bikes can have lighter steering than other bikes. it's a new bike, though? what make/model?

Thanks guys

It's a Giant (Liv) Avail 2 2015 size medium - sorry I worded that badly by saying I got it recently - I got it 4 years ago but never really used it (mainly because of the twitchiness) so it feels brand new in my head :o it ended up indoors for the last 4 years after a few weeks of trying it and I only took it out again a few weeks ago and got it serviced. Trying to stick with it this time but it's not getting any easier steering wise and I've been out for an hour's cycle 9 or 10 times now. It feels best / most stable on the hoods but still very twitchy/slippy.

https://www.liv-cycling.com/ie/avail-2-2015

Think I have a creak from the BB, I've pretty much ruled everything else out I think.
    I've had a similar noise in the past that I suspected was the BB - every revolution made me suspect the BB. It turned out to be the bottle cage bolts loose on the down tube. A quick nip and problem solved. Worth a go before going down the BB route.

Sounds like the BB alright.. I had a similar issue a few weeks ago..

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058072444

Easy enough to DIY this repair.

Park tools how to video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=84Ut53i17iQ&list=PLGCTGpvdT04Q5OLMUo0yzTOjLtv7yT47O&index=7&t=0s

I recommend you get one of these:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/park-tool-press-fit-bb-bearing-tool-set-bbt-90-3/rp-prod142345?gs=1&sku=sku516047&istCompanyId=0f15660a-f13e-4c09-a701-b55d8c3f2e59&istFeedId=21ccdaa5-24f7-4b32-9ec6-ac7081b9b50b&istItemId=iwxrritti&istBid=t&pgrid=55940684341&ptaid=pla-419668116892&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA%2BAll%2BProducts&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid%257Cs5L368zBg_dt%257Cpcrid%257C294740729966%257Cpkw%257C%257Cpmt%257C%257Cprd%257C516047IE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7Jmbg_ne6QIVGp3VCh1gUQ1rEAQYASABEgKJxPD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Anyone know a good intro to Di2 YouTube?

Picked up my new bike yesterday & took a lot of the shop guy's time with small things I wasn't entirely happy with so didn't have a chance to talk through Di2 with him. Aside from charging it, is there anything else you need to know to get started?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Here’s my reference that I keep in my phone-notes - Di2 is relatively trouble free, so you can easily forget the details.

Di2 Reference

Batt check - shift FD & hold:
    Green: 100% to 50%
    Green blink: 50% to 25%
    Red: 25% to <5%
    Red blink: almost 0%

Trim RD mode:
    Go to 5th gear and then press & hold controller button to enter trim mode
    (tinkle on 4th plus 4x>’s)
    Press & hold to exit

Double-click to cycle through:
    Manual > Auto1 > Auto2 >