Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Your daily forecasts from Boards.ie weather forum (NO CHAT)

Comments

• ditto up here and this downpour is about to hit dublin.

peak rainfall here was 105.2mm/hr at 1.15 pm

Total so far almost 18mm and rising.

Complete flood outside.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Should be clearing from your area shortly BB - looks like a bit of a gap for you then.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭kimberworth

Any idea what the weather will be like around Offaly next Saturday (18th July) - Horse Trials are on in Tullamore

• Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Tuesday, 14 July, 2009

TODAY, thanks to the slowly dying low making an encore appearance after rave reviews from rain lovers last weekend, light to moderate rain will continue to plague the southern half of the country, while northern (especially northwestern) counties may see a bit of sunshine at least this morning. The winds will be turning from SE to E at 15-25 mph near the coasts, but not as strong inland, as the low drifts past the south coast and slowly into the Irish Sea tonight. Some heavier bursts of rain could develop (watch for updates) but most places will tend to see 5-10 mms and it could just be a light drizzle at times. Highs will be generally 15 to 17 C, possibly as high as 18 or 19 C in places where the sun does make an appearance mid-day.

TONIGHT the very last of this system will drop some more light rain or drizzle in a cooler northeast flow (5-15 mph mainly) and it could turn quite misty or even foggy in some parts. Lows will be generally around 10 or 11 C.

WEDNESDAY will see the low cloud very gradually breaking apart into mostly cloudy skies with a few sunny intervals, perhaps longer spells of sunshine in the southwest. There may still be one or two showers around but probably amounts will be generally slight (1-2 mms). Highs will reach about 15 or 16 C.

THURSDAY could see a longer interval of sunshine for many, although cloud will be a bit stubborn to clear totally, with lows of about 8-10 C and highs of about 16-18 C.

FRIDAY, winds will increase from a NW to N direction (20-30 mph at times) with some chance of a heavy rainfall in eastern counties, although the west should escape with either a dry day, or some very light showers at times, more likely this in central counties, all due to low pressure tracking north from western France into southern England. The exact track of this may determine how much rain actually falls in Ireland, but the southeast corner of the country could see 15 mms or more. Temperatures will be steady in the range of 13 to 15 C.

SATURDAY should be somewhat improved with fairly warm, partly cloudy conditions with a few showers developing across the northern half of the country more likely than elsewhere, as winds turn back to a SW'ly direction. Highs should be about 20 C.

SUNDAY is likely to bring a similar day, partly cloudy with showers, and fairly warm highs near 20 C.

UPDATE _ Tuesday, 4:30 p.m.

Heavier rain is developing across much of counties (north) Clare, Galway, Mayo and Sligo with potential for 25 mms and local flooding. This may extend somewhat beyond these counties into adjacent parts of Roscommon, Leitrim, Longford, Westmeath and Offaly, but the heaviest rains appear to be near Galway city.

For regions further east, the risk of heavy rain depends on whether the system remains this active through the late evening and overnight. Will update on this around 8 p.m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭loup

Thanks MT, would you hazard a guess as to the general trend for next week? Heard rumours of generally warmer weather from 20th July onwards..hoping this is true!

UPDATE _ Tuesday, 7:45 p.m.

The trend seems to be towards gradual weakening of the rainfall now, if anything the southwest and south central counties have more significant activity, as well as parts of Mayo, but the southeast is fairly dry at present. Eventually, you might expect the rain to move further east in general, but weakening further especially after midnight. This should all end in a widespread mist or locally dense fog by morning, with further light rain or drizzle mainly confined to the east during the first half of the day, then some gradual clearing from the west.

I will speculate about next week in the Wednesday morning forecast, as I don't place a lot of confidence in the guidance past this weekend yet.

Wednesday, 15 July, 2009

TODAY will provide relief from the rain although some cloud drifting southeast from Donegal into north-central counties may bring trace amounts to about 2 mms locally ... meanwhile, the sun may make a few appearances in eastern and southern counties in a generally slack NW flow backing more westerly later today. Highs will be generally about 17 C. Some of the cloud and very light showers could reach eastern Ireland later this afternoon.

TONIGHT will be partly cloudy with some clear intervals allowing overnight lows to drop to about 8 to 10 C. There could be some fog and drizzle near the west coast towards morning.

THURSDAY will be cloudy with some sunny intervals. A very weak disturbance will ripple across Ireland during the day and could bring some brief and rather light showers. However, some places will have a dry day altogether. Highs will be about 17 C.

FRIDAY will be cloudy to start, with rather low cloud and mist in some eastern counties (rain may be just offshore or reaching some parts of the southeast from a low moving northeast through England). Sunshine may follow especially in the western half of the country. Highs will be around 16 to 18 C.

SATURDAY is looking rather cloudy with some light showers probable, but there could also be some sunny intervals, and temperatures will be fairly pleasant, topping out around 19 or 20 C.

SUNDAY will also be partly cloudy with the risk of showers, and highs of about 19 or 20 C.

NEXT WEEK is looking a bit more settled and slightly warmer than the past few days, but there are no indications (yet) of any real heat developing, or unbroken sunshine. The general theme seems to be partly cloudy to sunny at times, a few weak frontal systems threatening some light showers, but warmer and more humid towards the end of the week with a greater risk then of heavier showers.

UPDATE _ Wed 15th, 7:45 pm

It would appear that the good people of Waterford (as well as the bad people there, if any) have angered the gods of thunder, but otherwise, the situation is all quiet for most parts of Ireland, as the advertised weak disturbance forms up west of Donegal and prepares to push in its cloud and light scattered showers for tomorrow. The thundery showers around Waterford and Dungarvan (yes, I have an atlas) may also affect Wexford, but if the showers try to move much further inland I suspect they will quickly die out over the hills in south Wicklow. And if not, nobody will be up there after dark, right? ... Friday still looks quite active in southeast England if anyone has a flight booked into London, there could be delays or at least don't order lunch until you're on the ground. :D

Thursday, 16 July, 2009

Situation: Ireland is rather on the sidelines of a big weather event about to hit the United Kingdom over the next three days, and I thought it might be worth explaining that first. A developing low pressure area with plenty of moisture associated is forming over the Biscay region and heading for landfall around Dorset Thursday late afternoon or early evening. From there it should track slowly northeast across England and then curl slowly around Scotland towards the Hebrides. These developments are fairly new on the models and therefore the forecasts are going to change substantially although not so much for Ireland as for the U.K. ... for one thing, the Open Championship at Turnberry is very likely to be affected by rain and strong winds on the weekend. If you happen to indulge in the odd wager, I would recommend you choose a good foul-weather player there. Canada's Mike Weir, by the way, pretty much an amphibian by nature. Anyway, as soon as this low is done with its weekend business, another one will try to push in towards Ireland around Tuesday. As a result, the forecasts have changed quite a bit from yesterday morning, although not all in a bad way for Ireland.

TODAY will be partly to mostly cloudy, with a few rather light showers at first crossing the country rather slowly from west to east. One or two of these could become heavier by early afternoon (watch for updates). Also, we will need to track the outer edge of the rainfall from the Biscay low, because this could slide across Waterford, Wexford, and parts of Carlow and Wicklow around the end of the afternoon and into the evening hours. At the same time, some places may not have any rain at all and many could get away with 1-2 mms. The highs today will be about 18 ot 19 C.

TONIGHT will continue cloudy with any rain that makes it ashore in the southeast tending to persist for most of the night. Dublin could be on the northern edge of this rainfall or it might stay dry, but it seems likely that many western and northern counties will remain dry. A northerly wind will develop slowly, and lows will be about 12 C.

FRIDAY will bring strengthening northerly winds backing to NW later, and any cloud or rain in the east (especially the southeast) could tend to move just offshore into the Irish Sea, but this remains uncertain. Further west and north, there is a good chance of a dry day and even some sunny intervals, with highs around 18 C.

SATURDAY will become quite breezy or locally windy, as the low over England deepens and pulls in a strong WNW flow across Ireland, averaging 20-30 mph and giving some gusts to 40 mph. This should be fairly dry but rain will tend to spiral around and catch Northern Ireland if not the rest of the Ulster counties. The cloud should be more broken further south and could allow for some long sunny intervals, but also, we can't rule out a few showers moving quickly across the mid-sections of the country at times. Lows near 11 C will be followed by highs near 17 C.

SUNDAY will be similar to SATURDAY except that there could be a longer and more pronounced spell of rain in Ulster spreading at times a bit further south. Winds will continue strong from a westerly direction and it may become very gusty at times in Donegal and Mayo. Once again, expect lows near 10 C and highs near 17 C.

MONDAY should see gradual improvement and longer sunny intervals although there will still be quite a strong breeze and the risk of brief showers. Lows near 9 or 10 C will be followed by highs near 16 or 17 C.

TUESDAY is now looking humid and cloudy with periods of rain, highs near 18 or 19 C, while WEDNESDAY should be a bit nicer with some sunny intervals as the rain breaks up to scattered showers and eventually some clearing develops. Highs may touch 20 C or so.

Because the pattern is in flux, I have to say that I don't really trust the guidance very much past mid-week (perhaps I should say mid-day) :cool: but for what it's worth, it shows more of the same on a fairly regular basis. The weather pattern in North America is also changing somewhat faster than earlier expected and I sense that perhaps the earth's atmosphere is responding to one of those periodic and unpredictable solar-magnetic sort of signals that change the large-scale features at the peril of mortal human beings who attempt to forecast using their computer guidance (like me, because I am far from clairvoyant). :D

Once again, I will mention, for anyone travelling in any form to England tomorrow or Friday, be prepared for some rather stormy weather especially in an area from about Hampshire to the east Midlands and including most of the southeast including London. And if you're going to Scotland for the Open, take rain-gear, and leave the summer gear at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

lovely start to the day down here in co clare.....maybe things are turning for the best?????

• Thursday, 16 July, 2009

Also, we will need to track the outer edge of the rainfall from the Biscay low, because this could slide across Waterford, Wexford, and parts of Carlow and Wicklow around the end of the afternoon and into the evening hours. At the same time, some places may not have any rain at all and many could get away with 1-2 mms. The highs today will be about 18 ot 19 C.

TONIGHT will continue cloudy with any rain that makes it ashore in the southeast tending to persist for most of the night. Dublin could be on the northern edge of this rainfall or it might stay dry, but it seems likely that many western and northern counties will remain dry. A northerly wind will develop slowly, and lows will be about 12 C.
    We have had the cloud overhang from that system all day but thankfully it's dry.
    Some rain from it is likely but from the BBC modelwork,it's barely fringing the East coast because of it's pivot.
    The further north on the East coast the more unlucky you will be in terms of not missing the rain I think.
    It doesn't look in any event that precip will make it much more than 20 miles inland.

• so much for that then...

so far it's managed to get 50 miles inland and here on the coast it's been rainin since about 8pm-looking like 6 or 7mm's.

I think you were right in your first call though, BB, running a time lapse it looks like the UK storm pulled in the moisture from the showers that moved across Ireland earlier in the day, and so the inland southeast got the remnants of that action as it was pulled into the larger storm. In any case, the UK storm is now on a large enough scale that its outer moisture shield may continue to catch parts of southeast Ireland for a while longer, but eventually we should get to the windy aftermath stage and whatever moisture can wrap around the low as it moves towards Scotland.

A glance at the Open coverage should reveal how nasty that could be for parts of the north.

Friday, 17 July, 2009 _ 0700h

Please note, a new forecast will be posted soon, but I have only had time this evening (my time) to check the new model run and situation rather briefly, and I don't see anything too different from the existing forecast posted yesterday (see above three posts or so) ... so my apologies, but I am pretty sure that I will just be repeating that forecast in about 30 minutes or so. (having some vehicle repairs done outside my home and this has taken longer than expected, back soon).

The main area of rain has retreated into the Irish Sea but if you're on the beach you may see a few raindrops ... that's how close to land it appears to be on radar.

More very soon. :cool:

Friday, 17 July, 2009

TODAY will feature some longer sunny intervals especially to the west of the Dublin and Wicklow mountains for much of the rest of Ireland, but some areas of cloud and showers could develop around mid-day in a freshening NW breeze. The rain in the Irish Sea should continue to edge away from land but could pivot around and move into counties north of Dundalk by mid-day. Highs today will be 18 or 19 C in most parts, perhaps only 16 C in Ulster due to more cloud and showers.

TONIGHT will continue fairly dry and in some parts clear at times, with lows generally around 10-12 C in a moderate NW breeze (10-20 mph).

SATURDAY will be partly cloudy in many parts of Ireland, but could become extensively cloudy over the northern third and the southwest, with embedded showers or periods of rain possible at times mainly in these areas, although some isolated showers could develop in other parts as well. Winds should continue to be rather moderate from the W to NW, and highs will reach about 17 or 18 C.

SUNDAY is looking more windy than Saturday as a weak trough is absorbed into the spinning low over Scotland, and a renewed surge of cooler air moves across Ireland, bringing a rather extensive cloud deck that may clear in places for some sunny intervals, but seems likely to bring rather widespread showers at times as well. Highs will be near 17 C after morning lows near 8 C, and some rather heavy showers could develop with possibly a rumble of thunder with one or two. Winds will increase to WNW 30-45 mph at times.

MONDAY will see the strong NW breezes dying off by mid-day, there could be a sunny interval or two before more cloud begins to move in from a new disturbance approaching from the southwest. This will probably bring rain into the southwest by afternoon and evening. Highs will be closer to 19 or 20 C.

TUESDAY is looking rather wet again with periods of rain, thundery in some spots, and potential for 10-30 mms of rainfall. Highs will be 18-20 C.

LATER NEXT WEEK it should become more variable again but there is likely to be more rain at times, and temperatures are stuck in the 18-21 C range for the time being.

I hope you all have a fun weekend starting as soon as possible -- mine will start when I post this. :D

Saturday, 18 July, 2009

TODAY may start out bright in some eastern counties, while a misty, damp overcast regime spreads into the northwest and tries to take over the south coast as well, although much of that rain has come and gone for the time being. More may develop but I am not convinced that the south will get into any prolonged or heavier rain so much as perhaps the northwest and later Ulster ... things are complicated by how much of the Atlantic system gets pulled into the spinning remnants of the major U.K. storm system which still has lots of moisture and energy and is heading northwest across Scotland. So as you can see, I am hedging because frankly, the cloud signature looks rather like the rainfall potential is trying to merge the two systems over Ulster later today into tonight. In any case, it almost certainly won't be a dry day for too many and if rain does come in any measurable amounts there will probably be a tendency to hill fog and mist later on as well. Highs throughout should be near 17 C. Watch for updates though, possibly from me if I stay up all night watching the golf as is my desire (currently it is 9:30 pm where I reside far from the hurly burly so to speak).

TONIGHT (meaning Saturday night in Ireland, I have to refocus) will continue cloudy and damp with perhaps a final burst of moderate rain from the dying Atlantic wave as it gets pulled into the circulation of the stronger low to the north. Winds will start to pick up from the WNW at 20-30 mph by morning, and lows should reach about 10 or 11 C.

SUNDAY is looking quite windy still, although there has been a downgrade due rather perversely to the strength of the low taking it on a long westward journey to the north of Ireland. This will make the wind direction more westerly than the previously advertised NW'ly although it could start off that way in the morning. Cloud amounts will be quite variable as the cloud should tend to form long streaks of low-based strato-cumulus that will have sunny "lanes" between them. Also some of the clouds will boil up high enough to drop a sharp, five to ten minute shower here and there. If you have higher ground to your southeast or east, you are more likely to get rain than other people (assuming you live in Ireland, that is). Highs will be about 18 C.

MONDAY could feature hours of sunshine, like perhaps one or two or even three for some lucky folk, then another storm will be arriving off the southwest coast and spreading its brand new load of cloud across the land, followed by a steady downpour by evening. Highs could reach 20 C in the sunny mid-day intervals.

TUESDAY will become wet in all areas for a time, with thundery downpours possible, and highs near 18 C. At the present indication, winds should not be much of an issue. The low is basically heading straight for southeast Ireland and into the Irish Sea.

WEDNESDAY is likely to be showery too but there should be some clearing by afternoon although possibly not that much sunshine. Highs will reach about 20 or 21 C.

THURSDAY yet another low comes calling, I was getting dizzy looking at them all but I think it is the remnants of the U.K. low returning from the leisurely tour of the central Atlantic. Or perhaps that will be Friday's low. In any case, if this is barbecue summer, I hope your barbecue came with a substantial umbrella.

However, you can't knock the terrific weather you had already, there is that.

If you still recall any of that. :D

Updates may follow, if there is anything to report. Turnberry is looking somewhat on the edge of the worst weather for Scotland but eventually I think a driving rain will test the players (ah great).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Updates may follow, if there is anything to report. Turnberry is looking somewhat on the edge of the worst weather for Scotland but eventually I think a driving rain will test the players (ah great).

So looking good for harrington & mc ilroy this morning but old tom watson will be buggered?

Tom Watson would still be very competitive if he had full confidence in his short putting. He may actually benefit from the wind and rain (if it proves to be a big factor) because everyone else will be having trouble with their putting as well. John Daly might do well, hard to say if he's aware of the weather that much. :D

Looking at the radar, I would say 3-5 mm rainfalls likely across much of Mayo and Galway, 2-3 mms across Clare and Kerry into Cork, but perhaps only 1-2 for rest of Ireland unless far Northern Ireland and Donegal get into the backwash from the main low later on. Not a terrible day, too bad it's a weekend though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭PaulByrne'sBald

Great thread, great job...
    keep up the good work and heres hoping the boys do well in the open...

• Advertisement

UPDATE _ Saturday, 8:45 p.m.

Some rather heavy bursts of rain showing up now in central Ireland in connection with a weak wave moving east and likely to drift more south of due east later, so would look for a rainy evening in parts of Offaly, Laois, Kildare, Carlow, Wicklow ... 5-7 mms of rain seems possible with this. Other regions will have more like a gentle drizzle or misty situation.

Well, they certainly got lucky with the weather at Turnberry, it seemed from the radar that the golf course was between two lines of heavy showers, and you could certainly see the showers just to the north on some of the views, tomorrow I think they will have a 'soft" day and we all know what that means -- or do we?

Perhaps to add a dimension to this thread, I will try to remember to post my mid-day weather conditions near Vancouver, Canada, on these evening updates. Today so far, sunny and quite warm, about 26 C, a weak sea breeze is reaching my location (barely) and it was a bit hotter yesterday, we have had a weak, dry cold front drift through this morning. I know it sounds great, but we could use some rain, everything bone dry around this part of the world now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Tom Watson would still be very competitive if he had full confidence in his short putting. .

who needs short putting when you can sink 60 footers! - He'll hopefully make a great champion and give golf a much needed shot in the arm

Sunday, 19 July, 2009

TODAY will start out cloudy with widespread light showery rain but gradual brightening if not clearing can be expected as winds pick up by mid-day to about 20-30 mph from the west. A few more scattered showers, possibly one or two briefly thundery, will develop in the afternoon. Highs will be near 18 C.

TONIGHT will see somewhat stronger winds near the northwest coast (30-40 mph) and continued strong westerly breezes elsewhere, but showers may die off to more of a drizzly mist or fog on hills, as some eastern and southern counties get a spot of clearing and lows generally fall to about 9 or 10 C.

MONDAY will see further gusty winds and showers across Donegal and parts of NI but this will be confined to the north coasts mostly, then a pleasant mid-day interval should bring some sunshine and fairly warm temperatures near 20 C in many parts of Ireland, to be followed rather quickly by increasing cloud as winds back to the south then southeast. Rain will follow into the southwest at least by evening.

TUESDAY is now looking even wetter than previously advertised, as a strong low swerves north along the west coast. This will create a period of strong SE winds on the south coast reaching up to Dublin by mid-morning and spreading out across inland areas, with heavy rain at times, or thundershowers. There is potential for another 20-30 mms in this storm. Winds could gust to 40 mph or higher on the coast. Morning lows will be 13 to 15 C and afternoon highs not much different at 17 to 19 C.

WEDNESDAY should be improved as skies clear gradually after some morning showers, and highs reach 20 C.

THURSDAY and FRIDAY are likely to be showery and reasonably warm near 18 or 19 C.

Updates may follow ...

Enjoy the golf, especially if you're playing. I had to laugh when they started talking about "Old Tom Watson," mostly because I am three months his elder, if perhaps three strokes his senior also, per hole. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

What are the chances of getting away with a dry barbeque in Dublin do u think?

UPDATE _ Sunday, 2 p.m.

I would say that unless you've already had your barbeque in Dublin at mid-day, the chances are fairly slim that it will be a rain-free period, as the frequency of showers will increase as they are likely to do across much of eastern Ireland this afternoon ... a renewed wave of energy is rotating around the larger storm well to the north of Ireland (which is heading west itself) and this can be seen on radar as a knot of heavier showers, some of which could be briefly thundery, around northeast Galway county, a feature that will probably hold together as it moves steadily east and perhaps a little south over the rest of the daylight hours today. Counties ahead of this feature such as Longford, Westmeath, Meath, Kildare and Dublin may see some fairly heavy downpours later on and accumulate 5-8 mms of rain.

Further south the showers may be more widely scattered and not as heavy, and a few sunny intervals are possible. And further north, it will be bright and breezy at times with the risk of a heavy shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

well it's lashing here now for a good while in D15 area

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭thomasj

glossy wrote: »
    well it's lashing here now for a good while in D15 area

yeah had a fairly heavy downpour here in dublin 15 in the last few minutes. Has died down a bit but still raining

No updates by way of changes to the forecast ... to keep up with the weather comparison, here's what I had here today on the west coast of Canada ... sunshine, very dry, 23 C with a refreshing sea breeze. There are serious forest fires well inland from here, you might see something about them on the news perhaps, but I don't live in that part of the province of British Columbia (I'm not a lumberjack and I'm okay ...) :cool:

If I should live that long, I will join the proceedings again around 0530 your time.

Monday, 20 July, 2009

TODAY will feature some sunny intervals for the south and east in particular, but it will stay rather breezy across the north with scattered showers. Meanwhile, cloud will be massing off the south coast for a determined push northward in the afternoon, ahead of a storm due to arrive by morning. Some rain could reach the south coast and the southwest by evening.

Highs today will reach about 20 C in the east, 18 C across the south and west coastal districts, and more like 16 or 17 C in most of Ulster.

TONIGHT will see cloud and then rain moving in from the south, to cover most of Ireland before morning. Winds will pick up rapidly from the ESE at about 30-40 mph offshore and 20-30 mph on land. Lows will be near 12 C.

TUESDAY will start with a period of heavy rain with some risk of thunder, as the strongest winds move slowly north towards Ulster by afternoon. There could be some late improvements in the south and southwest, but for many regions, much of the day will be wet and windy. Highs will reach about 18 C.

WEDNESDAY will be more variable with a moderate S to SW wind and some showers or thundershowers redeveloping. Lows of about 14 C will be followed by highs near 21 C.

THURSDAY will be cloudy with occasional showers or longer periods of rain, and rather strong SW to W winds arriving later, basically the remnants of the weekend U.K. storm making a loop around and returning from the west. The temperature range will be about 12 to 18 C.

FRIDAY looks partly cloudy, breezy and rather cool with highs near 17 C.

NEXT WEEKEND from this perspective looks somewhat encouraging with weak ridging advertised, so possibly a dry and reasonably warm scenario with limited shower potential. We'll see how long that lasts the "weekend test."

• Advertisement

UPDATE _ Monday, 2330h

Rain soon to move into south coastal counties, but expect the strongest winds east of Cork to around Wicklow in coastal southeast Ireland.

Just to keep up the alternative universe stuff, I have been coping with too much sun and heat here, feels like 32 C outside, a fair amount of higher cloud but sun beating down through it all. Very little breeze either. Humidity is quite low, about 30%.

Advertisement