Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CONSTRUCTION LOCKDOWN JAN 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

most of it...but some construction will open - will it be new housing builds, or something else??? will get to know on Monday !

Varadkar said today at 1 that construction will remain shut. The numbers have plateaued at too high a number.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

ZeroSum76 wrote: »
    So am I reading right construction to remain closed?

Yep, only schools to reopen in March, no construction. NPHET recommending that the numbers are still too high to open construction. I have been an advocate of the restrictions thus far, but I think given the length of time we are now looking at that a blanket approach is no longer feasible. There are 15 counties with a 5 day moving average of less than 20 cases, surely some relief can be given on a county by county basis? NPHET are only looking at data I guess, not how people behave, we have kept our site shut but we have done so while watching others gleefully disregard the rules. We are living out of a single room with a newborn, and there will become a point where we can't wait any longer to restart construction.

Yep, only schools to reopen in March, no construction. NPHET recommending that the numbers are still too high to open construction. I have been an advocate of the restrictions thus far, but I think given the length of time we are now looking at that a blanket approach is no longer feasible. There are 15 counties with a 5 day moving average of less than 20 cases, surely some relief can be given on a county by county basis? NPHET are only looking at data I guess, not how people behave, we have kept our site shut but we have done so while watching others gleefully disregard the rules. We are living out of a single room with a newborn, and there will become a point where we can't wait any longer to restart construction.

Same. We sold our house in September and have been in a self catering holiday accommodation since then. Our new house (renovation) is a building site. We shut down after 1 week's work in January. Our kids are 6 and 9 and we now risk being homeless in summer as our accommodation won't extend beyond June and we have a good 5 months work before we can move home. Been compliant to date but this might be a bridge too far. Also numbers in Wicklow are always low and the builder is a father son operation with work to be done outside on a detached property.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

If they actually enforced the restrictions it would be different story. Alot of people doing what they like, not surprising numbers are stubborn. One month's proper lockdown would be better than this half arsed prolonged rubbish.

Same. We sold our house in September and have been in a self catering holiday accommodation since then. Our new house (renovation) is a building site. We shut down after 1 week's work in January. Our kids are 6 and 9 and we now risk being homeless in summer as our accommodation won't extend beyond June and we have a good 5 months work before we can move home. Been compliant to date but this might be a bridge too far. Also numbers in Wicklow are always low and the builder is a father son operation with work to be done outside on a detached property.

Very hard to argue that you're case is not essential. Most people have no problem stopping for a month but 4 months stoppage is unconstitutional.

• Advertisement

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    If they actually enforced the restrictions it would be different story. Alot of people doing what they like, not surprising numbers are stubborn. One month's proper lockdown would be better than this half arsed prolonged rubbish.

100%

Very hard to argue that you're case is not essential. Most people have no problem stopping for a month but 4 months stoppage is unconstitutional.

The problem is we can argue all we want and everyone would agree it should proceed but try getting someone to give you the green light. No one wants to be the one to say yeah go ahead. They just reiterate what the restrictions are and who they apply to and leave it at that.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,061 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ive been out in the car twice in the last 6 weeks..... and both times there didnt seem to be much reduction of traffic levels. im talking traffic jams in the usual spots (in laois).

seems theres still plenty of activity happening, as irish people have a knack of meandering "around" restrictions.

anecdotally though most of the cases im hearing are still from house visit spreads...

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

“ Construction work is likely to resume in April and this will again be regularly reviewed. However, there is no proposed date decided for allowing construction workers to return to building sites“

What does this mean for one off builds ?

km79 wrote: »
    “ Construction work is likely to resume in April and this will again be regularly reviewed. However, there is no proposed date decided for allowing construction workers to return to building sites“

What does this mean for one off builds ?

Looking like April at earliest. Scandalous.

• Advertisement

Looking like April at earliest. Scandalous.

Are councils even giving out commencement notices .......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭malinheader

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Ive been out in the car twice in the last 6 weeks..... and both times there didnt seem to be much reduction of traffic levels. im talking traffic jams in the usual spots (in laois).

seems theres still plenty of activity happening, as irish people have a knack of meandering "around" restrictions.

anecdotally though most of the cases im hearing are still from house visit spreads...

As far as I see it in my area all big construction projects are stopped but all small construction businesses are carrying on as normal. Very little change in work traffic to be honest.
    Its not really meandering around restrictions it's more to do with no real guidance from the Government on which services are deemed essential and which are not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Councils don’t “give out” commencement notices.
    The council (Building Control Section) cannot refuse to accept a CN as the legislation that stops works is a HSA/Garda issue.

All the council can do is validate the notice as long as the documentation is correct. It’s up to the building owner/contractor to abide by the HSA legislation and SI4 of 2021.

March 5th is the earliest you can lodge one at the moment afaik. Until further clarification from government.

Have met one of the larger window companies on the road with deliveries for installation on numerous occasions this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Have met one of the larger window companies on the road with deliveries for installation on numerous occasions this week.

Was slating a roof on a house outside Naas during the week counted 5 vans on the job incl mine 2 window lorries and a van ( big irish company) arrived in at 8am 7 more lads in the house .
    Counted about12 lads working inside I stayed up on the safety of the roof for the week.

Its not really meandering around restrictions it's more to do with no real guidance from the Government on which services are deemed essential and which are not.

I think the guidelines are pretty clear. I would wager if you stopped everyone on the move or working (speaking purely construction here) and assessed the validity of their claim to proceed you could quickly and easily validate or invalidate that claim based on the govt restrictions. I don't really think there's that much ambiguity.
    Well it's conceivable they were working on a social housing project or essential construction. I think this is crux of the problem really. Without proper enforcement and checkpoints and validation, people can only second guess others right to be working. This provides enough fog (without proper enforcement) to enable people to flagrantly flout the guidelines and go undetected.

Word on the street is that the Gardaí have been told by management to clamp down on rogue sites.

Too little too late.

The rogue private builds that were at foundation stage in January are probably more or less 75% complete now at this stage.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,061 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Word on the street is that the Gardaí have been told by management to clamp down on rogue sites.

Too little too late.

The rogue private builds that were at foundation stage in January are probably more or less 75% complete now at this stage.

Ermmmm.......

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Too little too late.

Can you give me that builders number?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

Too little too late.

Disgraceful isn't it?
    75% complete? I'm so angry about the people that get to move into those houses, they shouldn't be allowed.
    They should knock them down before we get covid

OK aside from the timeline exaggeration for the sake of effect, the point remains.

Can you give me that builders number?!

Ok ok I may have exaggerated just a smidge !!

I think the guidelines are pretty clear. I would wager if you stopped everyone on the move or working (speaking purely construction here) and assessed the validity of their claim to proceed you could quickly and easily validate or invalidate that claim based on the govt restrictions. I don't really think there's that much ambiguity.

Well it's conceivable they were working on a social housing project or essential construction. I think this is crux of the problem really. Without proper enforcement and checkpoints and validation, people can only second guess others right to be working. This provides enough fog (without proper enforcement) to enable people to flagrantly flout the guidelines and go undetected.

There is alot of work going on in one of houses. See it myself everyday.

Just to add, it's all outdoor work. Minimal covid risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,834 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Ok ok I may have exaggerated just a smidge !!
    This is very much a fact filled thread in a fact filled forum so posting grossly exaggerated data isnt appreciated.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

March 5th is the earliest you can lodge one at the moment afaik. Until further clarification from government.

March 6th, 14 days notice ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

There is alot of work going on in one of houses. See it myself everyday.

Just to add, it's all outdoor work. Minimal covid risks.

On my travels today I noted 2 ongoing.

One at rising walls level.
    Second first fix carpentry ongoing.

Neither will be completed shortly.

Some large sites are pushing the rules. Large main contractor mobilising to a site. Have mobilised to divert a sewer. Used this to install accesses and temp car parks. Chatting to the manager. The guards have been on site weekly to make sure that's all they're doing. Plenty complaints from locals.
    But even the sewer diversion is nonessential

• Registered Users Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Talking to my kitchen man yesterday and he heard there was a builder in Douglas Cork got fined €3500 for working on a private house last week...

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Talking to my kitchen man yesterday and he heard there was a builder in Douglas Cork got fined €3500 for working on a private house last week...

On what basis ?
    I don’t see any fines bar the one for being more than 5km from home ......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

On what basis ?
    I don’t see any fines bar the one for being more than 5km from home ......

Working during COVID on non essential works I presume....

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Advertisement