Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bellator/WSOF/One FC etc events Thread

Comments

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    That was so staged it was pathetic. And the ring girls laughing behind them. Shocking

The "fight" was equally pathetic. The heavyweight women's fight was also a farce, it was like they forgot any training they ever did for any martial art, truly shocked and thats saying something given this was a NYE event in japan :D

Peter Aerts I almost felt sorry for. Not a fight I want to see a guy like that in :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Paully D wrote: »

That is absolutely hilarious, if that 5ft Japanese man hadn't held him back who knows what chaos could have ensued! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

The "fight" was equally pathetic. The heavyweight women's fight was also a farce, it was like they forgot any training they ever did for any martial art, truly shocked and thats saying something given this was a NYE event in japan :D

Peter Aerts I almost felt sorry for. Not a fight I want to see a guy like that in :(

I didn't see the fights but I could imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I didn't see the fights but I could imagine

The Sapp fight was an absolute farce. Fedor fight was a joke. In fairness King Mo delivered a pretty decent ko but not sure how good his opponent was.

Did anyone see Andy Souwer's fight? Was that a tooth Nagashima spat out :D

The Sapp fight was an absolute farce. Fedor fight was a joke. In fairness King Mo delivered a pretty decent ko but not sure how good his opponent was.

In fairness if you lose to akebono then it's time to hang up your gloves. But sapp should've done that years ago anyway

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Did anyone see Andy Souwer's fight? Was that a tooth Nagashima spat out :D
    Was that the same Nagashima who knocked out Aoki in one of my favourite 'mma' memories a few years ago? Did he come out dressed as little bo beep or anything? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

That's a woman ?? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I see she's a product of the Cathal Pendred school of striking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

I see she's a product of the Cathal Pendred school of striking.

*He's

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Some of the worst striking ive ever seen there is 10 year old girls kickboxing that have better stand up than her,and look at the size of her,LOL at the MOD on here who infracted me over speculating about what shes on hang your head in shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

The line from Deuce Bigalow comes to mind when I see her........ That's a big bi**h.

She's about as skilled as Bob Sapp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

10 time IBJJF World champion and 2 time ADCC World Champion.

She'd choke anyone on this thread out in about 30 seconds flat.

• Advertisement

Because she's a steroid induced freak

Yeah and I'd light her up light a christmas tree with one hand whats your point,its mma were critiquing on and shes shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

No chance, I'll have you know I'm a hell of a sprinter :cool:

Gamebred wrote: »
    Yeah and I'd light her up light a christmas tree with one hand whats your point,its mma were critiquing on and shes shocking.

It's her first fight. A lot of grapplers look terrible in their first fights. Some of them in the UFC still look terrible and get by.

She'd have you mounted, eating elbows and asking for your mammy, get over yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Mod:
    Lads, no matter how painfully obvious it may be that someone could be using steroids, it's still against the charter to speculate. I don't make the rules but there you go.
    Give it a rest.

• Advertisement

It's her first fight. A lot of grapplers look terrible in their first fights. Some of them in the UFC still look terrible and get by.

She'd have you mounted, eating elbows and asking for your mammy, get over yourself.

Go to any Club show in the ringside and you'll see better striking by 10 year olds,herself and kron wouldnt get past 1 round of the novices in leinster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Mod:
    Lads, no matter how painfully obvious it may be that someone could be using steroids, it's still against the charter to speculate. I don't make the rules but there you go.
    Give it a rest.

In fairness she did fail a test before, it might not have been for steroids but it was a banned substance none the less, so for that reason it's way more likely more than speculation that she is indeed taking another banned substance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

ASOT wrote: »
    In fairness she did fail a test before, it might not have been for steroids but it was a banned substance none the less, so for that reason it's way more likely more than speculation that she is indeed taking another banned substance.

I agree 100%
    But like I said, it's the site rules. I don't make the rules. It's just how it is.

ASOT wrote: »

She failed for a fertility drug and it was overturned as it has no performance enhancing qualities for females.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

She failed for a fertility drug and it was overturned as it has no performance enhancing qualities for females.

It was still a banned substance, which is what I was getting at. It statistically would make her more likely to be on something having already failed a test already, but we'll leave it at that.

Do you think she's clean?

Do you think she's clean?

Innocent until proven guilty. A mod has already pointed out that speculation is against site rules.

You're talking to the wall lads if you think Gabi is all natural good on ya,no point in debating it the mods will be crying,forget it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I think she's just big boned.

In the Y-fronts department.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Her stance looks almost identical to Wanderlei's, striking is woeful though.
    She should have got it to the ground so she could show off what she's actually good at.

Also didn't look like the shot that knocked the other lass down really connected that well, maybe just a bad camera angle though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Anyone see last night's Invicta? It was an enjoyable card. Good win for Angela Hill on her debut, and Souza and Cyborg defended their titles with first round stoppages. Cyborg did some job on Ibragimova :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Paully D wrote: »
    Anyone see last night's Invicta? It was an enjoyable card. Good win for Angela Hill on her debut, and Souza and Cyborg defended their titles with first round stoppages. Cyborg did some job on Ibragimova :eek:

Ya some decent bouts alright. Whatever it is they are paying Cyborgs victims isn't enough appears shes not going to bother making 135 at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

She probably thought she had a very good chance at beating Ronda but not as much against Holm, it was also a much bigger pay day.

Cyborgs striking would have caused Ronda some serious problems along with her strength. Holly Holm is too techinical a striker i feel for Cyborg and would be able to counter and keep her foot on the outside and keep distance. Brawler vs technique

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

One FC is such a good promotion to watch. Some brilliant fights on the card but the highlight was this rather interesting escape from a guillotine choke.

You'll need Facebook to watch it I think...

https://www.facebook.com/melvinyeohmma/videos/730695823728229/?fref=nf

That_Guy wrote: »
    One FC is such a good promotion to watch. Some brilliant fights on the card but the highlight was this rather interesting escape from a guillotine choke.

You'll need Facebook to watch it I think...

https://www.facebook.com/melvinyeohmma/videos/730695823728229/?fref=nf

All dude getting slammed had to do to avoid it is open his guard and sprawl, it was idiocy to hold on while the other guy is lifting you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

All dude getting slammed had to do to avoid it is open his guard and sprawl, it was idiocy to hold on while the other guy is lifting you.

I dont think anyone was expecting him to slam him in the direction he did. Generally if you are picked up when attempting a guillotine the person tends to slam you on to your back. Sometimes this makes thing worse as they go deeper into the choke, if the choke is deep it can be worth it to hang on instead of opening guard and sprawling and bailing on the sub.

I certainly would not call it idiocy , a lot of people would of held on to that guillotine as it was very deep. The guy who did the slamming was in desperation mode and did something hardly anyone has seen before in a MMA fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

WSOF are such a weird promotion. Caught up with their latest event from Saturday night. They've introduced rankings which is interesting but they had a guy in the co-main event who was only making his debut ranked at #9.

Really strange.

Not sure what to make of that particular promotion. I initially liked what they're doing but they seem to have nosedived off a cliff fairly rapidly. Not sure I like them tweeting/facebooking UFC/Bellator/Invicta news though.

That's quite strange to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Personally, I hate head kicks on the ground.

https://twitter.com/GrabakaHitman/status/693067562184237056/photo/1

Heart attack was the official verdict for the ONC FC kid who collasped cutting weight in December

http://www.scmp.com/sport/china/article/1894393/heart-attack-caused-chinese-mma-fighters-death-ahead-philippines-bout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Devastator wrote: »
    Heart attack was the official verdict for the ONC FC kid who collasped cutting weight in December

http://www.scmp.com/sport/china/article/1894393/heart-attack-caused-chinese-mma-fighters-death-ahead-philippines-bout

Yupp, I find it hard to watch the soccer kicks form the early UFC's, thank God they got rid of that, shouldn't be allowed in any modern mma rules.

The ref must have been miles away

I don't mind so much, it doesn't look as bad as the Henderson punch on Bisping imo

Some scientist needs to come up with a way to measure all these things so they can be properly compared, if its definitely dangerous ban it

The ref must have been miles away

I don't mind so much, it doesn't look as bad as the Henderson punch on Bisping imo

Some scientist needs to come up with a way to measure all these things so they can be properly compared, if its definitely dangerous ban it

Of course it's dangerous. No way in hell can a punch generate as much power as a soccer kick.

Also apart from a punch not being as powerful as a kick Bisping's head was against the mat with Hendo's fist coming straight down so there was very little room for the head and neck to move. Whereas this kick as you can see snapped the fighters neck and head way to the side. I'm surprised its allowed as there could be broken necks or anything from a kick like this.

There have been plenty of tests done to measure the effect of whiplash which would be along the same lines. I don't see too many companies paying to test it further though to apply it to MMA. It wouldn't make much sense in them paying for something to have to ban on themselves.

F**K THE DOUBLE POSTS!

Of course it's dangerous. No way in hell can a punch generate as much power as a soccer kick.
    It's mma everything is dangerous. I'd prefer to see it measured to see how dangerous to be honest, for most mma soccer kicks the leg travels a pretty short arc which will limit the power quite a bit. Like kicking a football if you stand beside the ball and make a small draw back on your leg you get a lot less power than taking a step up to it with a long foot arc and if a fighter is open to being hit from the second type of kick the fight should probably have been stopped already.

• Advertisement

F**K THE DOUBLE POSTS!
    I think it's the quick reply that causes the double posts?

It's mma everything is dangerous. I'd prefer to see it measured to see how dangerous to be honest, for most mma soccer kicks the leg travels a pretty short arc which will limit the power quite a bit. Like kicking a football if you stand beside the ball and make a small draw back on your leg you get a lot less power than taking a step up to it with a long foot arc and if a fighter is open to being hit from the second type of kick the fight should probably have been stopped already.

Yes for most mma soccer kicks the arc is short. But who's gonna say or control the potential for a roberto Carlos type free kick to the head of a downed opponent. Ban them all together. Too Much potential for some serious injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

That Hendo punch on Bisping was probably the exception. It was the entire weight of him falling to the ground channeled through his fist as well as the force he was putting behind it.

Not necessarily and again theres no way to measure so an outright ban would be easiest. You can get a lot of power into a kick with a relatively short backswing by getting your hips swinging into it. Its about technique and sometimes about if someone grows up playing football. Aldo would be the last UFC fighter I'd want kicking me in the head, apparently he played football growing up(its Brazil, og course he did lol) but you can see a much smoother,pwoerful kick because of it.
    I think it's the quick reply that causes the double posts?

really? I'll try & remember not to use it again

I still have some thoughts on the above but no point in dragging it out I guess, unless anyone wants to?

Great knockout by Daley in Bellator, but the main talking point that I saw has to be the beard of that ref!

link to fights

• Advertisement
Advertisement