Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 259

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Izzy doesn't have the full game yet to compete up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,995 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

hawaii501 wrote: »
    Jan landed a big right in the last and there wasn't even a mention. Ridiculous bias

Had that lovely inside kick too, fecking crickets

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

2 49-45s wow. You wouldn't expect that going by the commentary.

I'm never normally one for calling bias on the commentators but tonight was so overt it was annoying!

BrentMused wrote: »
    Rogan and co don't understand the scoring criteria at all.

Honestly like they obviously have to have serious amounts of knowledge but they really don't get it across. Too tired to remember which one but there was a fight where it was on the ground and Rogan literally 3 times in 12-15 seconds said "Big trouble!" then the one on the bottom would transition out and "Big trouble" and again and then it just petered out.
    For striking it's just unreal. Was it round 2 in the main event they said Blachowicz was stunned/hurt/in trouble when he so very clearly wasn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

darced wrote: »
    Izzy doesn't have the full game yet to compete up there.

Unfair, the man went up big time.

Jan fought well.

Izzy is great, just wasn't ready for this challenge.

Needed more time and size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭BrentMused

58dtrwf1w7161.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Unfair, the man went up big time.

Jan fought well.

Izzy is great, just wasn't ready for this challenge.

Needed more time and size.

Yeah that's exactly what I'm saying man:)

Love that Jan has now defended.

Much like I was saying about Aljo earlier, Jan has been paying his dues for a long time and I love when guys like him get their days in the sun.

Like Bisping before him, he won't go down as one of the GOATS but will spend the rest of his life as a Champion. And guys who put into the sport what these guys have deserve it!

Love how Jan acknowledged Glover just there.
    Not Rogan's finest hour...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,639 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Great performance from Jan.
    Enjoyed the interviews afterwards, two good guys.
    Jan showing lots of respect to Glover. He's a real champion.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Great performance from Jan.
    Enjoyed the interviews afterwards, two good guys.
    Jan showing lots of respect to Glover. He's a real champion.

Would love to see Glover get his hands on the gold too. Great guy and has fought absolutely everybody

Absolute stinker of a main card in the end. Other than the illegal knee nothing changed anything. Nunes is clearly ahead of everyone else, a light heavyweight dominated a middleweight on the ground and Makhachev kept his streak against an unranked opponent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Joe Rolan needs to pack it in. Sickening bias. Casual viewer would think izzy was dominant. He implemented Aljo was winning too before foul. Sicken

Anik: "Someone in the corner gave bad advice"

Yan's corner: "Just punch!! Just punch!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Genuinely think I have a good chance to qualify for ADCC this september in the European trials -66kg, and hoping to get an oppourtinity if it arises on the cage warriors grappling thing they were hinting at before christmas, or polaris some point in 2021. Hoping to go to Norway at some point this year to train in Wulfing House with Tommy and Espen too. Competitions tentatively announced for summer already in the UK, so if i've to drive over on the ferry to do it I'll be doing them. Can't wait to compete again. What about you, much if any rolling over the last year? I saw Lachlan has had to close for extended periods of the last year too,

I was pretty lucky in Sydney. Gym closed from March-may. In that time I did only 3 sessions with a single partner. But we’ve been open full time since June.
    Melbourne an extended lockdowns up to recently. Lachlan only got out of the state recently. I’ll be training with him next week.
    Thinking about giving ADCC trials a go myself. I’ve no shot. But will set up future trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Absolute stinker of a main card in the end. Other than the illegal knee nothing changed anything. Nunes is clearly ahead of everyone else, a light heavyweight dominated a middleweight on the ground and Makhachev kept his streak against an unranked opponent.

Have to agree.

Never expected anything special except a Jan knockout in main event and kind of enjoyed the suspense.

Izzy can drop and defend now, rebuild and go from there.

Nunes running out of victims at this stage.

Yan should have an easy win in the next fight between them, he was miles ahead. Totally different class.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Izzy off his back, so disappointed. Absolute rookie, his plan was to close guard, is it 2003 again?

Him and Gaethje in two recent title fights, clearly both do next to zero training from their back. What other sports have athletes with such extreme deficiencies competing for the biggest prizes. Izzy looks like he'd get worked on the ground by BJJ hobbiests.

Izzy's blood and brains would be on the mat against Jones. I'm shocked how bad he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Beaming for Jan, had him winning but was expecting to see Izzy get his hand raised. I really like Megan but WTF was that! Nunes needs some proper competition. And WTF was Yan thinking! Aljo looked like someone who didn't know how he should be feeling which is completely understandable.

rob316 wrote: »
    Yan says he asked his corner is it ok to hit him and he kneed him. No way an experienced corner like ATP tell him that.
    Not sure who ATP refers to. But his corner where the Russian lads. They'd possibly be used to rulesets where knees to downed opponents are allowed.
    US2 wrote: »
    The judges will go unnoticed now because of the foul, 1 had aljo ahead that Is sickening
    I don't see what's crazy about Stirling being ahead. The first two rounds were close. That scoring was only based on the first 3 rounds.

I think he shock at that result is being led by the 4th.
    I'm opening my 6th can of cider here and I'm still sober enough to know what is genuine and what's not. Sterling threw down the belt after being awarded the decision. Says all I need to know about whether he was acting or not. The man should be getting an oscar for that performance if he was acting.
    Taking off the belt proves he wasn't playing up? Lol. How do you arrive a that conclusion. I think you should rewatch when sober. On what planet does anyone celebrate that win? regardless of acting.
    Being shocked at the belt. Dramatically throwing it down. Sitting on the mat for ages. If somebody was acting it up, I'd expect them to do all that.
    Someone's triggered by a fact. Sterling was not acting. Yan is a cheat. Get over it, move on from being wrong.
    They are not mutually exclusive. The knee was 100% illegal. That doesn't mean that Sterling wasn't also making the most of it.
    It was illegal. Yan deserved the DQ. But a bit silly to suggest he did it to cheat when he was cruising to a win at that point.

Sterling shouldn't he handicapped by a foul. He has the right to not continue, unfortunately that means he wins the belt in bad fashion. It's not how he wanted to win it obviously. But it was pretty clear that once he decided he wasn't going to continue (as he's entitled to) he also decided to "make it clear", for what of a better description. Fighters who get sparked out cold are usually up on their feet quicker than Sterling - who wasn't knocked out.

Yan lifting his hand, make him look a bit clueless.

Fromvert wrote: »
    Izzy off his back, so disappointed. Absolute rookie, his plan was to close guard, is it 2003 again?

Izzy looks like he'd get worked on the ground by BJJ hobbiests.

He’s not an advanced grappler. Probably needs more mat time. He was recently promoted to purple at Atos fwiw.
    The main reason he’d struggled on the mat is that he was giving up 20lbs. That’s bad enough at the best of times, but it’s detrimental when your in the bottom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Honestly like they obviously have to have serious amounts of knowledge but they really don't get it across. Too tired to remember which one but there was a fight where it was on the ground and Rogan literally 3 times in 12-15 seconds said "Big trouble!" then the one on the bottom would transition out and "Big trouble" and again and then it just petered out.
    For striking it's just unreal. Was it round 2 in the main event they said Blachowicz was stunned/hurt/in trouble when he so very clearly wasn't?

In the Nunes fight, Amanda's first attack she exploded with a right but it basically missed and grazed andersons head. Rogan is all " woah, ooh!!!" As if he's a fan with a few drinks on board.
    Then when he interviews Jan B he talks about him fighting middleweight years ago and Jan has to tell him he never fought middle.
    Too much dmt and doob for Joe

Adesanya looked poor on his back but he was under a guy who had at least 20 pounds on him for 6 minutes and took basically no damage. There's plenty who could've looked a lot better and taken a ton more damage.

In the Nunes fight, Amanda's first attack she exploded with a right but it basically missed and grazed andersons head. Rogan is all " woah, ooh!!!" As if he's a fan with a few drinks on board.
    Then when he interviews Jan B he talks about him fighting middleweight years ago and Jan has to tell him he never fought middle.
    Too much dmt and doob for Joe

Felt bad for Blachowicz in that interview. Pretty sure earlier in the night the 3 commentators were all on about how he used to fight at middleweight.
    As much as the LH division isn't in a great place right now it strikes me as pretty unprofessional and small-time that they're basically running it down. It's something I noticed most of the night though, the commentary was insipid banter that was like a few mates watching the fight, it didn't add to the spectacle or sense of occasion at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Felt bad for Blachowicz in that interview. Pretty sure earlier in the night the 3 commentators were all on about how he used to fight at middleweight.
    As much as the LH division isn't in a great place right now it strikes me as pretty unprofessional and small-time that they're basically running it down. It's something I noticed most of the night though, the commentary was insipid banter that was like a few mates watching the fight, it didn't add to the spectacle or sense of occasion at all.

Yeah, DC has some great analysis of the ground game but then ruins it with just nonsense chit chat in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I had Jan winning 3 rounds to 2 but I really don't know where they got a 10-8 round from. Jan clearly won the last two rounds but he really just held Izzy down and did very little damage. Neither a 10-8 round for me but the right fighter won in the end anyway I guess.

Yeah, DC has some great analysis of the ground game but then ruins it with just nonsense chit chat in between.
    Rogan is the problem. If you had Felder or Bisping they'd have their homework done. I'm not mentioning Cruz because he was on the card.
    All three are a serious upgrade on the clueless Rogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Still Ill

I had Jan winning 3 rounds to 2 but I really don't know where they got a 10-8 round from. Jan clearly won the last two rounds but he really just held Izzy down and did very little damage. Neither a 10-8 round for me but the right fighter won in the end anyway I guess.

Yeah, I'm struggling to see that as a 10-8 too.. From what I can recall, Izzy was kinda winning the first half of the round, then Jan took him down and did very little apart from a final flourish of punches. Maybe I'm wrong in what constitutes a 10-8 though.
    Rogan is the problem. If you had Felder or Bisping they'd have their homework done. I'm not mentioning Cruz because he was on the card.
    All three are a serious upgrade on the clueless Rogan.

Felder is the best colour commentator imo, although I do enjoy DC and Rogan despite their obvious flaws.. Really don't enjoy Cruz at all.

I'm surprised the DQ has turned out to be such a talking point. Can't understand the point of view that Sterling should feel obliged to risk the win bonus and title out of some sort of obligation to entertain the viewers. It's his family's finances and even more importantly his own health on the line.

Still Ill wrote:
    I'm surprised the DQ has turned out to be such a talking point. Can't understand the point of view that Sterling should feel obliged to risk the win bonus and title out of some sort of obligation to entertain the viewers. It's his family's finances and even more importantly his own health on the line.
    Well personally I'm of the opinion that Sterling gets the win but it should be an automatic rematch for the title.
    Like it's clear Yan made a mistake, it wasn't a case of him trying to get away with something. He was clearly going to win the fight as Sterling was very tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Well personally I'm of the opinion that Sterling gets the win but it should be an automatic rematch for the title.
    Like it's clear Yan made a mistake, it wasn't a case of him trying to get away with something. He was clearly going to win the fight as Sterling was very tired.

Agree 100%. It was a clear mistake and they need to run it back, but Sterling had to get the win and the belt on the night. It was just a catastrophic error from Yan.

EDIT: And I'd be pretty sure that's what's gonna happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Nunes running out of victims at this stage.

Yan should have an easy win in the next fight between them, he was miles ahead. Totally different class.

I don't know about easy next time as it was close enough after 3 on the scorecards but Ajo was pretty much done so a lucky break for him and he was right not to
    continue

It'll be interesting to see what he changes in the rematch too, going all out from the outset was a bad idea so now he has 6 months to come up with the perfect gameplan.

Yan is such a complete fighter though so it looks right now that anyone who beats him will surely have to go 5 as he's just too strong everywhere.

The big loser here is sandhagen though, he'll get his shot at Yan someday I reckon and that'll be yans biggest test.

Advertisement