Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BIK on EVs.

Options

Comments

liamog wrote: »
    The whole point of incentivising EV company cars is to increase the number of EVs in the second hand market when they get replaced. Most company cars get replaced on a regular enough schedule.

Yes no doubt......... my point still stands.........
    Augeo wrote: »
    If the uptake hasn't been significant than the overall benefit for society is nothing to negligible...............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

If the uptake hasn't been significant than the overall benefit for society is nothing to negligible. The only benefactors are those driving 0% BIK EVs....... in such a case there's no real point continuing with incentivising EVs as company cars.

A lot of EVs currently on the road are company cars, a lot of companies might be in the process of getting a new company car on 3 or 5 year finance.
    if the company/employee are going to have to pay 22.5% BIK from Jan 2023 until the end of the finance agreement, then why bother even buying EV this year?

this all effects future second hand EV stocks, which effect the uptake of private buyers, public charging upgrades etc etc.

its a knock-on effect

The only benefactors are those driving 0% BIK EVs....... in such a case there's no real point continuing with incentivising EVs as company cars.

i disagree with this statement.
    a company ICE car is probably diesel, so there is a saving on fuel/emissions if the EV is mainly charged at home/work.

Road tax is cheaper then most Diesel (not much on newer diesels)

then there are the companies that would have bought a small "car type" van.

5% BIK, 333 road tax , and yearly DOE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Casati

KCross wrote: »
    I never understood why they put EV's in the same CO2 bracket as hybrids for motor tax and now this new BIK scheme as well.

Surely there is a case for having a 0g CO2 bracket and then a 1-59g to cover the PHEV's and hybrids and then ICE above that.

If the policy is to encourage EV's they should have them in a tax band of their own.

The 2023 BIK scheme does seem to be at odds with their plan to get 1m EV's on the road by 2030 as company cars are a significant part of that. Most cars by then will be falling into the A(BEV and PHEV) and B(PHEV and hybrid) categories and there is only 2-4% difference there depending on mileage.... no incentive really.

It could all change between now and 2023 as well when they see what the uptake is. They might see the error of their ways!

Looks to me that it was designed by SIMI and their lobbying to govt is basically designed to not upset their dealers - who lets face it don't want EV's taking on more market share as it will impact the value of their used diesels and petrols. The manner in which E.V.'s are to be sold - i.e. often with fixed pricing is going to erode dealers margins so they will happily sell petrols/ diesel or mild hybrids all day lone

Overall its very disappointing - its madness to split bands due to emissions and then lump in E.V.'s with PHEV's as if they are the same thing. E.V.'s should have a band to their own with a more attractive BIK rate less than 15%.

As others have said, with E.V.'s generally having a higher RRP versus petrol/ diesel, then the BIK paid by an individual is likely to be the same or more as the diesel and unlike a typical company car they will likely be charging it using their own electricity rather than simply filling a car with diesel off a fuel card.

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    i disagree with this statement.
    a company ICE car is probably diesel, so there is a saving on fuel/emissions if the EV is mainly charged at home/work.

Road tax is cheaper then most Diesel (not much on newer diesels)

then there are the companies that would have bought a small "car type" van.

5% BIK, 333 road tax , and yearly DOE.

I don't think EVs have replaced many company ICE cars.
    It's mainly proprietary directors getting themselves a company car when it was previously a non runner.

The employee pays the 5% BIk you mention so I'm not sure how you can use that to disagree with "The only benefactors are those driving 0% BIK EVs"
    Not many companies handing out EVs to replace "small "car type" van" which cost €25k ish.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I don't think EVs have replaced many company ICE cars.
    It's mainly proprietary directors getting themselves a company car when it was previously a non runner.

I see a good number of e-Golfs with lease plan plates on them, there's also a fair number of wrapped Kona EVs that I see on personal trips.

I see a good number of e-Golfs with lease plan plates on them, there's also a fair number of wrapped Kona EVs that I see on personal trips.

Could you quantify those in numbers? The eGolf was a tiny seller all considered.
    I see none of what you mention tbh and I'm out and about every day throughout the pandemic.

Could you quantify those in numbers? The eGolf was a tiny seller all considered.
    I see none of what you mention tbh and I'm out and about every day throughout the pandemic.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/sisk-now-offering-more-ev-than-petrol-choices-to-company-car-users-1.4401407%3fmode=amp

One example here planning to have 100 ev’s starting with 10 ID3’s. I’m sure many other companies were under pressure to offer same by employees keen on avoiding BIK

In the U.K. where BIK is lowered for EV’s they have seen big adoption by companies

https://www.fleetalliance.co.uk/news/businesses-lead-charge-electric-vehicle-take/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

As of Dec '20 it was the 6th most common EV on Irish Roads with 515 sold, ahead of the Model S (492) and Niro (467), the Ioniq was ahead at (719).

VW sold a lot of e-Golfs in 2019 and 2020. As I say, most of the ones I spot have leaseplan on the plate. I think it did relatively well as non-executive company car.

Casati wrote: »
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/sisk-now-offering-more-ev-than-petrol-choices-to-company-car-users-1.4401407%3fmode=amp

One example here planning to have 100 ev’s starting with 10 ID3’s. I’m sure many other companies were under pressure to offer same by employees keen on avoiding BIK

One of not many I reckon.
    In the U.K. where BIK is lowered for EV’s they have seen big adoption by companies

https://www.fleetalliance.co.uk/news/businesses-lead-charge-electric-vehicle-take/

Sure the UK encourage PHEV as company cars with low BIK also :)
    That article is from 2016 and it's more pool stuff than actual company cars from the sounds of it "Amongst the companies setting the new standard, the London Fire Brigade runs a car fleet of 57 vehicles, 100% of which will become electric in 2016.

The University of Birmingham, meanwhile, operates 15 plug-in cars and vans, representing 16% of its total fleet"

• Advertisement

As of Dec '20 it was the 6th most common EV on Irish Roads with 515 sold, ahead of the Model S (492) and Niro (467), the Ioniq was ahead at (719).

VW sold a lot of e-Golfs in 2019 and 2020. As I say, most of the ones I spot have leaseplan on the plate. I think it did relatively well as non-executive company car.

To be fair 515 is a tiny amount of cars over a few years.
    Let's not lose perspective.

When you say most of the ones you spot, you are talking about two handfuls maybe?

I'm on a large site at the moment (and visit several more regularly) and there's far more PHEV than BEV. The BEV are largely contractors who never had a company car before.

I don't take note of the reg plates, so they may be the same ones.
    Given you theory is that 0% BIK incentive hasn't caused an significant uptake, you can't dismiss the evidence that shows an significant uptake in a particular model. The 0% BIK was introduced in budget 2018. Before that there were 18 e-Golfs. VW responded to the BIK rules by introducing the e-Golf Executive Edition. The next 3 years saw them sell 497. My theory (based on the number of e-Golfs I see with leaseplan plates) is that a significant number of these were sold as company cars, and that it clearly show's the BIK incentive significantly increased the number of sales.

You can't just dismiss a number because it doesn't agree with your premise. Without access to stats from company car providers its all conjecture anyway :D

* I'm excluding used imports this time, so the numbers may be a little off from earlier.

............. you can't dismiss the evidence that shows an significant uptake in a particular model. .............r.

I reckon most of them went to proprietary directors who never had a company car below......... they are the main benefactors of the 0% BIK thing :)
    Any e glof I see doesn't have leaseplan plates on it :)
    Again I don't see that many of them as there's a tiny number of them out there.

When you say most of the ones you spot, you are talking about two handfuls maybe?

I'm on a large site at the moment (and visit several more regularly) and there's far more PHEV than BEV. The BEV are largely contractors who never had a company car before.

Do you think one site your one is representative of the whole country? What other stats do you have to support your view that’s it’s largely contractors?

No doubt some small business owners who never had company cars are in the mix but certainly larger fleets are not ignoring EV’s especially as their employees would be wanting the benefit of free BIK.

Do you think one site your one is representative of the whole country? ............

... no but I mentioned I also visit several more :D
    My observations are surely as valid as someone spotting lease plan plates on eGolf, why not question that "stat" :D

Name the larger fleets you speak of, in Ireland :)
    I'm don't think articles from the UK dated 2016 are overly relevant tbh.

If the government reckoned the 0% BIK on EVs was beneficial I'm sure they'd be keeping it. It looks like they aren't.

Not sure if this video has been shared in the post before, but this is the UK system for BIK on EV and PHEVS and the UK government have said they will extend the incentive for a few more years. giving companies and employees a little bit of certainty (unlike here) that it will be around for a bit longer.

yes i agree that the 0% BIK system cant be around for ever, but jumping from 0% to 22.5% is far too big. it should be a much smaller jump and increases as the car gets older and closer to its finance finish date.

anyway here it is:
    https://youtu.be/8H6HoFMGgnk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭innrain

Some I know of and I see on the road
    KN Networks -2019
    https://www.kngroup.com/news/kn-circet-expands-electric-vehicle-fleet/

SISK- 2020
    https://www.johnsiskandson.com/news/sisk-accelerating-investment-in-sustainable-evs-with-new-fleet

An post 2020
    https://www.anpost.com/Media-Centre/News/Dublin-becomes-first-Capital-City-globally-with-ze

DLR CoCo
    DPD 2019
    https://www.electrive.com/2019/05/03/dpd-ireland-to-deliver-with-electric-vehicles/

You have to consider that a commercial bought car is 5k more expensive than a personal one in an already higher than normal price tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Keggers74

I swapped my car allowance for a model 3 last year, purely because the BIK exemption was there. If it wasn't there, I simply wouldn't have taken a company car and would have continued to take the allowance and keep my old car, because I simply wouldn't bear the BIK for 4 years on a regular ICE car lease (I do very minimal business miles, so am up for full whack BIK). I'm now left in the quandary re what to do in 2023 as my lease runs to Sept 2024, and to be honest if I had have expected the exemption not to be extended then I wouldn't have gone ahead with getting the Tesla. That would have left me still driving an ICE car and resulted in one less EV in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,015 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

and if the revenue expect company car owners to pay 22.5% BIK when it was 0% there will be some that will get rid of their EV and go back to PHEV/ICE because the incentive is gone. thus dropping the trade-in price even more in Jan 2023

I'll be one of them most likely. I'll possibly need something bigger/more practical by 2023 so would happily trade up to a Model Y if they extend the BIK scheme. It sounds like they won't though and I don't fancy shelling out that much of my personal money on a car, will be looking at 2-3 year old PHEV I'd say. I rarely leave the city so I'd still be able to do most of my miles on electric power.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭kop-end

Guys, reading the thread and I notice a lot of talk about the government plans for 2023 BIK charges for EV, has anything concrete been mentioned by a minister or party of what the changes could be? I’m changing company vehicles in July 2021 and will likely be a 3 year lease so not sure if I would
    Jump from ICE to EV for 18months benefit then to jump back to +\- 21% BIK for the final 18 months on a high value, €44k EV. Any insight is greatl appreciated 😀

• Advertisement

kop-end wrote: »
    Guys, reading the thread and I notice a lot of talk about the government plans for 2023 BIK charges for EV, has anything concrete been mentioned by a minister or party of what the changes could be? I’m changing company vehicles in July 2021 and will likely be a 3 year lease so not sure if I would
    Jump from ICE to EV for 18months benefit then to jump back to +\- 21% BIK for the final 18 months on a high value, €44k EV. Any insight is greatl appreciated 😀

If you go back 2 pages you will see a chart at gives the new C02 based system which (at present) will replace the current 0%bik up to 50k on Jan 2023. A lot of us are hopefully that the next 2 budgets, the government will extend the incentive for EVs, I'd be happy to pay the same as van BIK

I got my EV last year but accelerated the repayments to 3 years from 5 year loan because of this

If you go back 2 pages you will see a chart at gives the new C02 based system which (at present) will replace the current 0%bik up to 50k. A lot of us are hopefully that the next 2 budgets, the government will extend the incident for EVs, I'd be happy to pay the same as van BIK

I should have gone back a few pages before I asked that question in fairness, thanks for the input, if I can get half of a 3 year lease at 0% BIK then I would probably still be better off, currently in a company vehicle €34k OMV with hardly and in the low business miles category. Looking at the E-Niro so OMV will be higher than what Inhavr now
    for eventual BIK in Jan 2023.

As you say, hopefully the government decide to let the current system roll to 24/25 while the uptake improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

Here is a response from the Minister of Finance on the matter - not really offering clarity and the wording at the end of the answer gives a slight raise in optimism

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2020-11-03/420/#pq-answers-420

Here is a response from the Minister of Finance on the matter - not really offering clarity and the wording at the end of the answer gives a slight raise in optimism

Thanks for that. So pretty much 22.5% for low mileage EVs in 2023 so., Disappointing.
    Btw, Company cars never got 5000 Seai grant, it was 3800 until it was removed a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭innrain

That is politician speak.
    It was first put in for one year, then added 3 then added one. I know the sum is 5 but it does not work the same. The first year it is a write-off as nobody actually went for it. If a business got an EV in 2018 would have got it irrespective of the BIK as you pay for that car 3-5 year. Saying that "This is an exceptionally generous BIK EV regime and by end 2022 it will have been in place 5 years. " has no value for me because it hides the fact that there is no plan for the future. I would prefer 10 year with 10% than 1+3+1 of 0%. By including ZOE in the same bracket with X5 is just a sign that the gov does not want the adoption it advertises. So the "climate emergency" declared in 2019 is just a pile of ..

Thanks for the update. It seems a shame that a lot of companies/company car drivers have watched the last few years of EV range and model development are now ready to make the switch but the BIK incentive will only last them a maximum of half their lease term (assuming most leases are between 3&5 years)

My own example is that we have 6 fleet vehicles up for renewal in July 2021, four of those drivers are low mileage (-20k a year) who are ready to jump into a Niro/Kona but may pull the plug (no pin intended) if it means they will go back to paying BIK close to what they are currently paying for Octavia'a in Jan 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

Wrote to my TD to get clarity post 2022 - He wrote to the Finance minister & this was the response this morning
    ---

Just to follow up on this we received the following reply from the minister on this;

“In the 2019 Finance Act I extended the 0% BIK rate for electric vehicles to the end of 2022. From January 2023, an emissions-based BIK structure (also provided for in the 2019 Finance Act) takes effect. For the year of assessment 2023 and subsequent years, electric vehicles will fall into the lowest emissions category, and therefore the BIK tax rate will range from 9% to 22.5%, depending on annual kilometres driven. The structure can be accessed at the following link:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2019/act/45/section/6/enacted/en/html#sec6”;

Unfortunately the % will be rising in 2023 but will be at a level lower than non-EV so there still is a net gain in adopting an EV. The existing percentage seems to be aimed to incentivise a general moving from traditional to EV. There is similarly a likely probability that non-EV BIK will rise as a counter weighted to further encourage this move.

---

Wrote to my TD to get clarity post 2022 - He wrote to the Finance minister & this was the response this morning
    ---

Just to follow up on this we received the following reply from the minister on this;

“In the 2019 Finance Act I extended the 0% BIK rate for electric vehicles to the end of 2022. From January 2023, an emissions-based BIK structure (also provided for in the 2019 Finance Act) takes effect. For the year of assessment 2023 and subsequent years, electric vehicles will fall into the lowest emissions category, and therefore the BIK tax rate will range from 9% to 22.5%, depending on annual kilometres driven. The structure can be accessed at the following link:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2019/act/45/section/6/enacted/en/html#sec6”;

Unfortunately the % will be rising in 2023 but will be at a level lower than non-EV so there still is a net gain in adopting an EV. The existing percentage seems to be aimed to incentivise a general moving from traditional to EV. There is similarly a likely probability that non-EV BIK will rise as a counter weighted to further encourage this move.

---

Good to get that clarity for anybody planning to get a first or change company cars but disappointing that the brilliant benefit available now is going. I wonder will PHEV’s fall into the lowest emissions category too?

Edit just checked and it’s any car with emissions up to 59 g/ co2 that that will mean most PHEV’s will qualify. I’d expect to see a big movement from diesel to PHEV for company cars as a result

Good to get that clarity for anybody planning to get a first or change company cars but disappointing that the brilliant benefit available now is going. I wonder will PHEV’s fall into the lowest emissions category too?

Edit just checked and it’s any car with emissions up to 59 g/ co2 that that will mean most PHEV’s will qualify. I’d expect to see a big movement from diesel to PHEV for company cars as a result

So those who are due to change company cars in the next 18months have a big decision to make if some PHEV are to fall into the minimum BIK rate like BEV !!!
    If you go full EV, you would obviously gain the time between now and Dec 2022 of getting o% BIK, but when Jan 2023 rolls in, you will be liable to the same rate as someone in a lower cost OMV /lower BIK PHEV ???

Time for me to start thinking.....

• Advertisement

"Unfortunately the % will be rising in 2023 but will be at a level lower than non-EV so there still is a net gain in adopting an EV. The existing percentage seems to be aimed to incentivise a general moving from traditional to EV. There is similarly a likely probability that non-EV BIK will rise as a counter weighted to further encourage this move.

So what's the incentive after the lower emissions tax level kicks in if it's the same as a lower emission ICE ? especially for higher mileage drivers charging at public chargers could be a real deterrent especially considering how bad out network is.

Advertisement