Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everything you always wanted to know about electric vehicle (but were afraid to ask)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

From my personal experience, the Hyundai ioniq is a great car. 160km range is pretty much guaranteed, up to 230km in summer on slower roads. It's got a pretty small battery (but it's efficient, hence the range) yet it charges pretty quickly (up to 70kW) meaning a 20 minute stop would give you about 3/4 a battery*.
    It holds plenty too, and it's pokey enough.
    Price wise there's a 2016 UK model from a reputable used EV cars seller going for 14k I think. Absolute bargain. 2017 models (no difference in spec or style) are ~17k.

If you're ready to drop money now, get that ioniq, you won't regret it.

*EVs have a charging curve. 0-70% in the ioniq will charge around 70kW, but it drops of to about 30kW at that point. So 20 minutes will charge the first 3/4 of the battery. The last 1/4 could take another 20 minutes.

By contrast (from what I know, I've no experience) the leaf charges at a max 50kW on the old CHAdeMO socket. There are plenty of these plugs around, but CCS is the new standard, so expect less CHAdeMO plugs installed Vs CCS going forward. The leaf is also known for not being great at motorway speeds, hitting it's range quite hard. They also appear to suffer much more with battery degradation Vs the ioniq (rare to see an ioniq with reported battery degradation).

Thanks again for the info the plan is to hopefully narrow it down to 3 and test drive them at some point over the next 6 weeks and have something in the driveway for April-ish. Hadn't considered the Ioniq due to wanting a smaller car but will def look more at it now. thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

lordgoat wrote: »
    Thanks again for the info the plan is to hopefully narrow it down to 3 and test drive them at some point over the next 6 weeks and have something in the driveway for April-ish. Hadn't considered the Ioniq due to wanting a smaller car but will def look more at it now. thanks!

+1 on the Ioniq. Great car! I had one for nearly 2 years and it was flawless. Driven sensibly it can do great distance and charge reasonably fast.

If it's smaller you're after, have you had a look at the Renault Zoe? I've no experience with one, but somebody on here should be able to fell you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

So whats the consensus on apps. I have plugshare, chargepoint, esb, abrp and zap-map.

As another poster said, there's a bit of fragmentation, what are the majority of you using. I'm just starting to look at how to plan road trips etc.

• Moderators Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Aph2016 wrote: »
    So whats the consensus on apps. I have plugshare, chargepoint, esb, abrp and zap-map.

As another poster said, there's a bit of fragmentation, what are the majority of you using. I'm just starting to look at how to plan road trips etc.

I dropped zap map. Adds nothing plugshare doesn't already have.
    Easy go, ecars, plugshare, chargepoint, evrodau app (for current cheapest ionity prices), ABRP and a scattering of other apps for the odd charger around Ireland. And needtocharge just incase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

In case you missed it, this is the ESB eCars presentation by Conor O'Brien titled "Expanding and Renewing Ireland's EV Charging Infrastructure", which he presented Saturday 6th Februay 2021 as part of the Irish EV Owners Association's second virtual event.

• Advertisement

This is one interview you don't want to miss! In this video, EV TV Ireland presenter Guillaume talks about his Tesla Model 3 Standard Range+ and his previous electric vehicles. He also admits to a dirty little secret hidden in a garage in France and what happened when his battery ran out when he was driving his first EV, a 24 kWh Nissan Leaf.

This is the &Charge presentation by Simon Vogt, which he presented Saturday 6th Februay 2021 as part of the Irish EV Owners Association's second virtual event.

This is the panel discussion on charging infrastructure that was hosted by the Irish EV Owners Association on Saturday 6th Februay 2021. The participants were with Nigel Daley from NMD, Chris Kelly from EasyGo/CarCharger.ie, Darren Kinsella from Darkin EV and Jerome Flannery from Randridge.

In this video, we talk to used electric vehicle dealer Phil Fitzgerald of Electric Autos in Naas, which you can visit at electricautos.ie.

We discussed the following topics:
    His background
    Services offered
    Warranty
    Battery health check
    Test drives
    Where he sources the electric cars he sells
    How he prepares his cars for the next owner
    Sourcing a particular model
    Trade-ins, including petrol and diesel cars
    Dealer service history
    Selling battery electric vehicles (BEVs) to taxi drivers
    Nationwide delivery
    Home charge points and applying for a grant
    Vehicles he's looking forward to selling in 2021

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 encorton

Just financed a 181 Leaf with ~23000 km - should I really really be worried about CHAdeMO going away from Ireland in the next 4-5 years? Or should I look into upgrading halfway?

I really like the Leaf but the topic that comes up every single day online is that CHAdeMO will be gone and I won't be able to fast charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

encorton wrote: »
    Just financed a 181 Leaf with ~23000 km - should I really really be worried about CHAdeMO going away from Ireland in the next 4-5 years? Or should I look into upgrading halfway?

I really like the Leaf but the topic that comes up every single day online is that CHAdeMO will be gone and I won't be able to fast charge.

As long as Leaf’s are being sold, CHAdeMO will remain... and even when they stop selling the Leaf with CHAdeMO plugs, charging would/should still be available for at least another 10 years....

Buying a Leaf is is a very attractive prospect, as 50% of the eCars (National) DC fast charger network is only usable by 1 BEV...... the Leaf, so you almost have an exclusive network, while everyone else fights over the CCS chargers....

All new charge points being deployed have CCS and Chademo, but not all of them have Type 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭murt101

I see a report in a newspaper that electricity prices could rise by up to 260% in Ireland in the next few years. Would this kind of hike render the savings over petrol/diesel null & void?

murt101 wrote: »
    I see a report in a newspaper that electricity prices could rise by up to 260% in Ireland in the next few years. Would this kind of hike render the savings over petrol/diesel null & void?

So instead of costing €5 to fill, my car would cost €13 to fill....(for 400km of range) and that’s ‘if’ my night rate increased by 260% which I really can’t see happening...

And be sure if electricity prices increase, so will that of petrol/diesel....

Lots of ifs and maybes in that hypothetical. Also with the cost of solar and batteries going down people should be able to generate their own fairly affordably.

Either way, charging my car at home costs me about 1/5 what diesel cost me, so 2.6X my car fuel costs now and I'm still saving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I see a report in a newspaper that electricity prices could rise by up to 260% in Ireland in the next few years.

Link to it?
    I bet there is some fine print there that has to be taken into context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,698 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I see a report in a newspaper that electricity prices could rise by up to 260% in Ireland in the next few years.

It should be a lot more than 260%. Peak demand electricity (now just 13c) should go up to at least 100c (so about a 700% increase) while bottom demand should become free or even negative cost (now about 7c)

In other countries less behind than Ireland, we have already seen this trend. In the UK, sometimes you get paid to load up your EV or your power wall. At the opposite end you sometimes get charged up to $10 per kWh in a crisis like a heat wave in Texas

Let the polluter pay, varying electricity prices are great in my book, I'm looking forward to making the most of them and doing my best to help avoid climate change

unkel wrote: »
    It should be a lot more than 260%. Peak demand electricity (now just 13c) should go up to at least 100c (so about a 700% increase) while bottom demand should become free or even negative cost (now about 7c)

In other countries less behind than Ireland, we have already seen this trend. In the UK, sometimes you get paid to load up your EV or your power wall. At the opposite end you sometimes get charged up to $10 per kWh in a crisis like a heat wave in Texas

Let the polluter pay, varying electricity prices are great in my book, I'm looking forward to making the most of them and doing my best to help avoid climate change

Tough on those who can't afford renewables though. If you're poor enough, the state will give you a house and pay your electricity, perhaps even a house with solar. If you're rich enough you can add solar and power walls etc and beat the system. If you're in the middle you can't afford the 1000s to install solar and batteries, so you get hit with the big electric bill. Or if you live in an apartment/residence where solar isn't an option.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Tough on those who can't afford renewables though....

Not just about wealth, those in apartments, those renting, those with poxy shading, those with horrible aspect, those with multiple dormer widows on roof, dutch gables etc. etc. etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,698 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

We still use quite a bit of coal/oil/gas in this country for electricity production

Peat is now gone. Coal / oil are very much down to almost zero, only used in one powerplant in Ireland (Moneypoint). This plant should be closed immediately anyway as it's an environmental brutality.

But yes, we still use considerable gas for eletricity production. The least of the fossil fuel evils, but until we have both a much higher renewables production and adequate storage (in whatever form, pumped hydro, chemical or other batteries, interconnector) we will still be needing this backup for quite some time to come

• Advertisement

Looking for an electric estate? Here's Philip's review of the MG5.

In this video, we talk to used electric vehicle dealer Simon Acton of next eco car in Dublin, which you can visit at nextecocar.ie.

We discussed the following topics:
    His background
    Services offered
    Warranty
    Battery health check
    Test drives
    Where he sources the electric cars he sells
    How he prepares his cars for the next owner
    Sourcing a particular model
    Trade-ins, including petrol and diesel cars
    Dealer service history
    Selling battery electric vehicles (BEVs) to taxi drivers
    Nationwide delivery
    Home charge points and applying for a grant
    Vehicles he's looking forward to selling in 2021

In this video, Guillaume reviews the new Volkswagen e-Up!, a small car with a 36kWh battery.

Do you suffer from range anxiety and/or wish you had a bigger battery? Range Therapy may be able to help you.

We are relaunching, and in this video Guillaume, as always, tells you everything you need to know!

In this video, Guillaume reviews his 2020 Tesla Model 3 SR+ after 6 months ownership and compares it to the Tesla Model 3 Long Range and Performance, as well as the Tesla Model S.

This is the presentation by Andrew Johnson of MG Ireland that he shared at the IEVOA AGM 17 April, 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Hi all, took the plunge yesterday and ordered a Audi Q4. I currently have a diesel A6 so I am looking for advice on charging. Any advice on a charger that is futureproof (maybe for another car etc) and on an electricity plan I should make sure I get? Apologies in advance if these are silly questions!

• Advertisement

Hi all, took the plunge yesterday and ordered a Audi Q4. I currently have a diesel A6 so I am looking for advice on charging. Any advice on a charger that is futureproof (maybe for another car etc) and on an electricity plan I should make sure I get? Apologies in advance if these are silly questions!

No silly questions...

Remember a 'charger' is just a fancy plug, the actual 'AC charger' is in the car itself...

Key points to think of when selecting a charger;

Do you have or plan to have Solar PV, and to use Solar to charge the car? - The Zappi charger integrate well with Solar PV

Do you have a heat pump, or an electric shower? If you answer yes to either of these then you'd need a charger with load balancing (I believe the Zappi also does this), or if you didn't have a load balanced charger, then you'd need a priority switch installed in addition to the charger - a priority switch basically directs the power to the charger, but if the heat pump or power shower is turned on, they would get the priority (and most/all of the available power), and the charge rate going to the car would reduce...

This thread is where to ask all charger related questions....

You can apply now for the SEAI home charger grant (€600), and will get approval fairly quickly, but don't get any work done until you have this approval letter in hand.

I'd also recommend a day/night meter, and then just shop around for the best deals on electricity pricing...

Advertisement