Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everything you always wanted to know about electric vehicle (but were afraid to ask)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Hey guys, I'm not totally convinced with BEVs (due to range anxiety etc

What’s your average daily commute?

What’s your potential max distance to cover (going down the country etc..) how how many times a year would you do this?

I went from an ICE to a full BEV and 30,000km’s later do not regret it 1 iota….

Last Sunday we did a 512km drive for sh1ts and giggles, and made 2 charging stops (the 1st one wasn’t actually required, but we were stopping anyway so took on an opportunist 20 minute charge).

Initially we were apprehensive about going full BEV due to range anxiety etc…… but within a few weeks we realised those apprehensions were completely unfounded… (our cars WLTP range is 409km). We’ve been all over the country many times, and never had an issue with range/charging….. only requiring minor pre-planning for charging (if needed).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

2) Do PHEVs have an inherent disadvantage in efficiency because they're carrying extra weight of a normal ICE engine as well as an electric motor/battery etc?

They are only really at a disadvantage when the battery is empty, in which case it is dead weight.

If you can charge at home and afford a BEV with a decent range I think you will regret it if you buy a PHEV instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Anyone in the market for a EV should watch this....

In this video, Guillaume tests the range and consumption of the Renault Captur E-Tech Plug-in Launch Edition (PHEV) over three days in his usual Tour de Cork loop around Cork City.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

With the Nissan leaf is there any SEAI grant available?

• Moderators Posts: 12,381 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

With the Nissan leaf is there any SEAI grant available?

Yes. Seai grant is for all new EV cars under 60k, and over something like 20k.

Yes. Seai grant is for all new EV cars under 60k, and over something like 20k.

Thanks

It's a shame that they don't list guide prices for eligible cars. Looking for a family ev to make full use of my 3.6kwh grid tied solar PV. Was considering second hand but with a grant we may look at new. We are down one car now so need to move on this.

I think that rather than spend all that money (banks money) maybe a second hand might be better and do the same for our second car as well. The depreciation on ev seems to be huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

The depreciation on ev seems to be huge.

I don't think that particularly true tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,381 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I think that rather than spend all that money (banks money) maybe a second hand might be better and do the same for our second car as well. The depreciation on ev seems to be huge.

The depreciation on cars in general is huge. EVs have probably depreciated slightly less than combustion engine cars.

Second hand family cars in the EV world are slim pickings still. For a large sized car (SUV type) you've got Audi and jaguar, both of which will be over 50k second hand. The Kia eNiro is a compact SUV which started selling in 2019, and could possibly be gotten second hand for ~33k. The Nissan leaf and Hyundai ioniq are "family sized" hatchback cars. Decent size to carry stuff about, but their (ioniq) boot space was the reason we traded up. Depends on your family's age I guess, we've buggies etc to be carting around. These are around the 15k mark second hand (2017)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Dohvolle wrote: »
    I did a project on this in work about 10 years ago. Based on the SIMI green book, any car stands to lose 15% of its new price every year, based on average mileage etc.

Just to clarify, is that estimate 15% of the new price each year, or 15% of the value each year?

In other words does a €50k car go down by €7.5k, €7.5k, €7.5k?

Or by €7.5k, €6.4k, €5.4k?

15% of its new price on year one, 15% of its year one price on year 2, 15% of its year 2 price on year 3 etc. Once you get beyond the 6 year mark it's no longer as consistent, as other factors come into play.
    so €50k-15%=Year one-15%=year two-15%=year 3 etc

Thanks for clarifying.

So the €43,875 VW Tour by your estimates would drop by 6581, 5594, 4754 for a 3 year value of €26,944.

I know its only an estimate of course but just doing some rough calculations. The GMFV on the PCP deal for that car is €18,875 which would give about €8k equity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,561 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

EV depreciation at the moment is distorted due to good demand, short supply, material shortage and cost increases.
    Once supply increases the older EVs will collapse in price due to range issues.
    I have a 30 Leaf and when the 40 came out the dealer offered me half on trade in if I wanted to upgrade.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

EV depreciation at the moment is distorted due to good demand, short supply, material shortage and cost increases.
    Once supply increases the older EVs will collapse in price due to range issues.
    I have a 30 Leaf and when the 40 came out the dealer offered me half on trade in if I wanted to upgrade.
    Thats part of my logic in going for the 77kWh ID3 rather than the 58kWh.

64kWh is becoming the base level for EVs these days, Kona, e-Niro, new Leaf etc. Wouldn't dream of buying anything under 50kWh now as it just won't measure up going forward.

77kWh is pretty high in today's market so in 3 years it will still be considered a good range.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭innrain

Whats a VW Tour? I have never heard of them. Google is only giving me a Tuareg. (not available for €43k new)
    ID.3 Tour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Thats part of my logic in going for the 77kWh ID3 rather than the 58kWh.

64kWh is becoming the base level for EVs these days, Kona, e-Niro, new Leaf etc. Wouldn't dream of buying anything under 50kWh now as it just won't measure up going forward.

77kWh is pretty high in today's market so in 3 years it will still be considered a good range.

Had also thought the same before I actually bought the 58kWh. In my thinking the 58kWh gives just under 400km range so it'll still hold its price well.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭into_the_wild

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Had also thought the same before I actually bought the 58kWh. In my thinking the 58kWh gives just under 400km range so it'll still hold its price well.

I know the official WLTP figure for ID.3 58 KWh car is ~420 kms but would be good to know the real world ranges. Are you getting just under 400 kms with real world conditions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

would be good to know the real world ranges. Are you getting just under 400 kms with real world conditions?

So many variables......

My car's WLTP is 409km (~50kWh battery)
    If in winter, and on the motorway at 120km/h my real world range is about 230km.

If now, with warm(er) weather, and only driving locally/non motorway, my range is about 500+km.

I'd guess the ID.3 is similar..

drove to work today.
    Full battery is giving 397km.
    74km of a drive. 70%national roads, 10%@ 120km, rest on 80km B roads.
    No aircon, no heating though.

My kia e-soul 64kWh on the same route gives me 410km range when at 100%.
    Soul drops to ~350km in winter.
    haven't had the id3 in cold weather yet but I'd be expecting similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

I know the official WLTP figure for ID.3 58 KWh car is ~420 kms but would be good to know the real world ranges. Are you getting just under 400 kms with real world conditions?

I have a trip tomorrow from Co Wexford to Kinsale return. About 340km, all at about 100km/h or less at times. Weather looking mild but possibly wet roads. I'll tell you if I make it on one charge....:)

• Advertisement

drove to work today.

I would expect less range than above in the cold winter weather(<5C). I allow generally 4km/% in milder weather (And milder winter weather), but when the battery heating is needed it knocks the range down to perhaps 3km/%. Mixture of driving, but little motorways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

So I'm new to the EV club........

Collecting an ID.3 Style this week,

Some questions :

- What's the best home charger to go with? I hope to install PV panels next year, so maybe Zappi? Or is there anything more suitable.

- Until that's installed, is it possible to use a regular outlet to get some charge?

- Is there one card that I should get that will allow me to charge in most public chargers?

- Before I get a card, is it possible to just pay with a debit card?

- We have Chargers in work They are ROLEC 32A 22KWh, need to find if they are free.

- Any apps that I should be downloading?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,352 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

drove to work today.

What % did you arrive at work at?

So I'm new to the EV club........

Collecting an ID.3 Style this week,

Some questions :

- Until that's installed, is it possible to use a regular outlet to get some charge?

- Is there one card that I should get that will allow me to charge in most public chargers?

- Before I get a card, is it possible to just pay with a debit card?

- We have Chargers in work They are ROLEC 32A 22KWh, need to find if they are free.

- Any apps that I should be downloading?
    ecars is the main network.
    easy go the next one has the free chargers @Lidls + some rapids. With them you can use ecars at some price difference. On both you can use the app to start a charge.

Plugshare is a recommended app. Community based and has most of the chargers. Doesn't have live status of the chargers. You may even find out if the ones @ work are free.

I pumped about 650km out of the 58kWh model I had for a test drive. In pretty good weather and a bit of motorway driving I was getting about 290km per charge.

I have no doubt that most would easily get more like 350km though.

Sorry for this newbie question but is there one single website/app which shows charging points all over ireland?
    Which of these would I be able to use to charge a VW ID.3 or can I use all of them depending on availability?

eCars network
    Ionity network
    EasyGo network
    Local Authority / Council Chargers
    Chargers by shops/shopping centres
    Airport Chargers

Sorry for this newbie question but is there one single website/app which shows charging points all over ireland?
    Which of these would I be able to use to charge a VW ID.3 or can I use all of them depending on availability?

eCars network
    Ionity network
    EasyGo network
    Local Authority / Council Chargers
    Chargers by shops/shopping centres
    Airport Chargers

You can use all of them.

Sabre Man wrote: »
    You can use all of them.

Any app/website that shows all of them together?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    What % did you arrive at work at?

in the VW ive arrived with 84%
    Kia in summer about 86%
    kia in winter 77%

• Advertisement

In this video, Inge talks about preparing for an epic road trip through California, Nevada, Arizona and Utah in a Tesla Model 3 that he rented on Turo.

Fathers Day Electric Vehicle Social, Junction 14 Mayfield, Sunday 19 June, 1 PM

A outdoor, social distanced meet up for all interested in seeing electric vehicles, meet EV drivers, experience the latest High Powered chargers at the new ESB eCars charging hub at Mayfield services. Great opportunity to meet real world EV owners and get honest experienced answers to all your questions if you are considering changing to an EV. This is not a sales event, and not associated with any group or organisation. No money, memberships or fees required.

Just friendly social meet up for coffee/tea.

All are asked to respect recommended government Covid prevention measures on the day.

In this video, we take the good old Nissan Leaf on a day trip beyond the battery range and compare the consumption with A Better Routeplanner to see how accurate it is and how well the Leaf holds up after 6 years.

In this video, Guillaume takes delivery of his second Tesla Model 3 SR+. This time his new car is perfect, but there is still one problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,708 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Everything you always wanted to know, but were afraid to ask? Ok, here I go. How many boxes from the Dorcelstore across the road from Tesla fitted into Guillaume's new car? :p

Nice car Guillaume. Didn't realise the M3 was so well priced in France. It's certainly a no brainer compared to the competition..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭mickotoole

I've a question for Tesla owners. I've recently purchased a 2015 Model S that has free supercharging for life along with the performance package. I haven't been able to register the car with the Tesla app yet but I was wondering... How can I find out of these benefits are transferable or not. I'm wondering if/when I register the car will I lose these benefits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

mickotoole wrote: »
    I've a question for Tesla owners. I've recently purchased a 2015 Model S that has free supercharging for life along with the performance package. I haven't been able to register the car with the Tesla app yet but I was wondering... How can I find out of these benefits are transferable or not. I'm wondering if/when I register the car will I lose these benefits?

Fairly sure the benefits are car specific and not owner specific.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Fairly sure the benefits are car specific and not owner specific.
    I know on newer cars that the benefits aren't transferable, it even says so on the app. I'm just wondering if there is a way to find out for certain what's transferable and what's not

• Advertisement

mickotoole wrote: »
    I know on newer cars that the benefits aren't transferable, it even says so on the app. I'm just wondering if there is a way to find out for certain what's transferable and what's not

https://www.findmyelectric.com/blog/tesla-free-unlimited-supercharging-how-to-check-if-you-have-it/

Thanks for the link. I've had a read through and I saw this...
    "Tesla removed fully transferable Free Unlimited Supercharging from their options in March of 2017, though future promotions have given non-transferable Free Unlimited Supercharging to a smattering of owners through referrals, etc."
    Does this mean that cars manufactured after this date don't get to transfer this benefit or that Tesla stopped the transfer for all cars after this date regardless of when they were manufactured?

***Edit - I also saw this but I'm still not 100% clear on it ...
    First, Free Unlimited Supercharging does not transfer if you buy a Tesla from a 3rd party dealer. Tesla doesn’t like the idea of 3rd party dealers anyway, so they made sure that there wouldn’t be extra incentive for dealers to snag new or used inventory with that feature.

I purchased my car from a dealer but the car was not registered on the Tesla app by the previous owner. I'm reluctant to register the car now in case I lose these extra options

My car was manufactured in the summer of 2017, so I have unlimited supercharging but it doesn't transfer to the next owner. If you buy a car that was manufactured before March 2017 you should get unlimited supercharging.

As for your second question, perhaps Tesla Ireland can help. I find it strange that the previous owner never registered their car in the app. How long did he/she own the car?

My car was manufactured in the summer of 2017, so I have unlimited supercharging but it doesn't transfer to the next owner. If you buy a car that was manufactured before March 2017 you should get unlimited supercharging.

As for your second question, perhaps Tesla Ireland can help. I find it strange that the previous owner never registered their car in the app. How long did he/she own the car?
    Ok so I called Tesla yesterday and they told me that the model I have (2015 P85D) has free unlimited supercharging that starts with the car and that the performance package is standard on the car.
    I don't know why the previous owner never registered the car with the app, guess they weren't arsed! Anyway it's all registered now and I can mess about with the different features that the app provides. Thanks for the help, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions

That's fantastic! Free unlimited supercharging is great but you will need a CCS adapter to use the new V3 superchargers, like the one in Cork that went live today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

OK bought an Ionic two months ago couldn't be happier with car,was supposed to get free charger thru energia but they just screwed me over.I want charger in my partner's house as she has double driveway and I live in terraced house with footpath outside,I changed my electricity to Energia but because its going in partner's house they want her to switch and she can't as just locked into a new contract with her supplier,so they mentioned me paying €600 towards it which I was going to do then told me they can't do that as need my partner to switch which she can't so now looking to get one fitted have been quoted €1200 for untethered 7k Zappi and €1300 for tethered,anyhow can someone recommend where to buy online and get RECI electrician to install just want to compare price thanks and sorry for the novel

• Advertisement

In this video, Inge talks about his road trip in the USA from San Francisco to Los Angeles in a Tesla Model 3 that he rented on Turo, also visiting the Tesla factory in Fremont, Santa Cruz, Monterey, Highway 1 and Big Sur, Morro Bay, Solvang and Santa Barbara.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I was reading about the tax benefits of buying a new EV for sole traders and limited companies, which in fairness is great.

What I cannot find out is anything about 2nd hand cars. Is there any tax benefits for let's say buying a 2nd hand Tesla?

The grants have been already applied to the 2nd hand EVs. In fact buying second hand as business a former privately owned, might get you better deals as there is no grant for businesses. Also if sole trader there is no BIK, I think. You can get the grant for the charger if installing @home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

€24k in year one off my tax bill for a new EV makes it very attractive.

€55k ish for a new ID4 with €24k off my tax bill is a lot nicer than €55k for a second hand Model S.

No BIK for sole traders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Just to clarify... AFAIK, you dont get to take €24k off the bottomline of your tax bill. You get to reduce your profit by €24k, which is very different from a tax liability perspective.

• Advertisement
Advertisement