Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭SandhillRoad

I am particularly interested in old and not so old photographs of Listowel and in hearing old stories of Listowel folk. although I'm a blow-in I have grown to love this place and its people.
    Hi Cherry Tree,
    Hope you enjoyed your afternoon in BallyB ( it is at this the time of the year that I really love Ballyb).
    Check www.listowelemmets.com ( History 1885-1985) for photos of Listowel townspeople - sad to say some are no longer with us, and some you still pass on the street.

Hope some other Listowel people will post photos here.

Check at the library to see if Vincent Carmody's Photo book on Listowel is there or maybe at some book sellers.

Also John Lynch did a grand video of Listowel back in 1972 (?)-it dealt with a year in the life of Listowel.

Also see Fr. Tony Gaughans (?) books on Listowel .

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

The Emmets site is brilliant. I'vre just spent a happy half hour browsing through the photographs and history. Thanks.

Cherry Tree, I have been looking at the website where A90Six photos are and am looking up Listowel Photos . A question :where is the John B Keane /Brian MacMahon mural in Church Street?
    If you are walking from the Square or Main Street which side of the street would it be on and how far up the street ? It looks like it is painted on a wall of a building which seems to be torn down. I do not know how up to date this photo is.
    Glad you are enjoying the Emmets Site. Many faces and names I remember.

Cherry Tree, I have been looking at the website where A90Six photos are and am looking up Listowel Photos . A question :where is the John B Keane /Brian MacMahon mural in Church Street?
    If you are walking from the Square or Main Street which side of the street would it be on and how far up the street ? It looks like it is painted on a wall of a building which seems to be torn down. I do not know how up to date this photo is.
    Cherry Tree,
    looking closer at the mural I see a reflection.
    Is it opposite the Garda Station?:confused:

If so ,it has to be between what I know as The Bon Ton ( later Joan's Hairdressers) and Chutes .

the mural was painted by Olive Stack who has a studio in Main street and who also painted the picture you posted of william St.
    As you walk up Church Street with the square behind you, it is on the right and opposite the Garda station.
    Of course you spotted that Bryan Macmahon is misidentified on the site as John B.
    The mural is a beatiful piece of work as is her other large piece in the bank of ireland.

• Advertisement

What on earth is the Bon Ton?

fairdaylistowel9bg.jpg
    What on earth is the Bon Ton?[/QUOTE
    The Bon Ton was a building across from the Garda Station. I think there was a laneway to it's left that took you behind the houses in Church Street.
    How long are you in Listowel ?
    REIC ( see earlier threads) is from Cork but visits Listowel on a regular basis.
    Ye probably cross paths as you walk around town.
    I still have family ( my twin:D :D ) in Listowel

carroll4rm.jpg

Seen on the streets of New York
    webuntitled1yr.jpg

Listowel Mayor seen on the Streets of New York on Saint Patricks Day 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

MJ Carroll - I'm pretty sure I've been in that store. I don't recall it clearly, but I heard the name plenty times.

• Advertisement

webuntitled1yr.jpg

I can't seee any image

I can't seee any image

Cherry Tree, Sandhill must have taken it down. It was there a couple hours ago.

webuntitled1yr.jpg

Sorry about that CherryTree, Snowscorpion.
    I am on the computer at home now, so when I get back to store computer in the morning I will upload it again

maryandjohnb7up.jpg

maryanjohnb0ss.jpg

MJ Carroll - I'm pretty sure I've been in that store. I don't recall it clearly, but I heard the name plenty times.
    listowel297925432sbhkgefs9py.jpg

I am particularly interested in old and not so old photographs of Listowel and in hearing old stories of Listowel folk. although I'm a blow-in I have grown to love this place and its people.

Cherry Tree: check out www.oldirishimages.com for old photos of Listowel.

Hope the MAYOR in New York :confused: photo is up for your viewing.

Is MJ Carroll on Market Street?

Is MJ Carroll on Market Street?
    It is in the Square on your left as you head for Main Street ( The Small Square).
    MJ O'Carroll's is on the same side of the Square as the Listowel Arms Hotel

I was just looking at the map on page 4.

Why is Main Street so short? I would think Main Street, in any town, would be one of the longest or widest or busiest streets in the entire town.

And while I'm in a mood to ponder ... how come Listowel and Ballybunion both named their churches after St. John?

Hmmmm. :confused: <-- Snow Scorpion pondering.

• Advertisement

webmaid3jc.jpg

Something I found some years back that reminded me of Listowel

web1101090img0sd.jpg

REIC this is NOT McKennas. It is one of the 2 best corners to view the 'goings on' in towninfidel9gr.jpg

listowelmainstreet8sj.jpg
    Why is Main Street so short? I would think Main Street, in any town, would be one of the longest or widest or busiest streets in the entire town.
    It is the w-i-d-e-s-t street in town. To get to another street ie; The Square, Church Street, William Street you have to cross Main Street. ,

Cherry Tree: check out www.oldirishimages.com for old photos of Listowel.

Hope the MAYOR in New York :confused: photo is up for your viewing.
    Thank you very much for all your help. The mayor in question is Ned O'Sullivan who was last year's mayor of Kerry. He is from Listowel.

The mayor in question is Ned O'Sullivan who was last year's mayor of Kerry. He is from Listowel
    I have a few photos of Ned.
    If you would , could you tell me where /what number 1 Main Street is ( Olive Stack is #4). and what number is Scully's
    Thanks

If you would , could you tell me where /what number 1 Main Street is ( Olive Stack is #4). and what number is Scully's
    Thanks
    Reic or Cherry Tree :

I got on to the website of Listowel Chamber of Commerce;
    Scullys is numbers 2 and 3.

Would you please let me know what are the establishments at number 5, 6, 7, 8 , 9 ?

Thanks
    Reic or Cherry Tree :

I got on to the website of Listowel Chamber of Commerce;
    Scullys is numbers 2 and 3.

Would you please let me know what are the establishments at number 5, 6, 7, 8 , 9 ?
    Since it is such a beautiful day in The Kingdom, i will stroll down town later on and see if I can identify the shop numbers in Main Street which everyone in Listowel calls The Small Square.
    On Wednesday next, Nov 16 Listowel will see the world premier of a new play by our brightest and youngest playwright, Christian O'Reilly, scion of one of Listowel's oldest families. The play is built from conversations and stories of people who live or have lived in O'Connell's Avenue, Listowel's oldest public housing estate. The play is called The Avenue .

Went out with my camera and took lots of snaps and now am failing to post them to this site. They are all too big and my computer skills don't stretch to reducing them. I'll upload them to ofoto and maybe I can link to that. Here goes!

• Advertisement

I'll upload them to ofoto and maybe I can link to that. Here goes!

That should work.

Advertisement